• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God Of War 3 Has Gone Gold - Lots of Reviews Out Already

netguy503

Cruzader said:
Are you sure? That makes the whole package less interesting. Only the thin going on for me is the Arena DLC. I can live without all the other crap but now Im wondering, will it be rare? (Hearing ppls cant find the UE to preorder)

Honestly, Id rather spend the extra $40 on Yakuza 3 or BC2 or something.

It is true. We had a HUGE thread on this when the Ultimate Edition was announced. You can search for it (through google if this site's search is still down) if you want.

I agree. Save your money and buy another game.

Simo

IAMBEEFLESS said:
Any news about how many pre-orders the game has? I preordered the collectors edition the day it was announced.

The GameStop my preorder is at wouldn't release numbers for their store when I asked last night but it's more than enough to warrant a midnight release apparently so I'll be going for that.

Interestingly though the manager said they had just as many preorders for the ultimate edition than they do for the regular edition.

Dogenzaka

Banned
Kagari said:
No install, huh. Awesome. Yay for optimization!

Wait this game is apparently trumping Uncharted 2's graphics, and it runs at a stable framerate and it has NO INSTALL??!

Whoever did the PS3 port of Bayonetta, take notes.

Mooreberg said:
I am playing Chains of Olympus right now (perpetually behind on PSP games) and the scale for it is pretty amazing for a handheld title. Really cannot wait to see what God of War 3 does with the PS3. I can understand the point made about it being more of the same in the 9/10 review but this is one of those franchises where what they have already works so damn well I am glad nothing drastic was changed just for the sake of innovation. This is my favorite franchise that has been introduced since 2005.

I think a problem with the game industry is being able to distinguish between when innovation is needed versus when it isn't needed. Why the fuck would Santa Monica change something that works so well? The foundation was laid and all they needed to do was build on it and they did.

noah111

Still Alive
Kagari said:
No install, huh. Awesome. Yay for optimization!
Yup, why is it that all of the graphically amazing PS3 games don't have installs? Killzone 2, Uncharted 2, now GoW3. Is it a sort of secret rub it in your face thing to other devs?

Too awesome either way. I will get the general consensus on gaf to see if watching the new videos is too spoilerific. I doubt I will be able to resist if a new screen is posted though..

Dogenzaka

Banned
Sentry said:
Yup, why is it that all of the graphically amazing PS3 games don't have installs? Killzone 2, Uncharted 2, now GoW3. Is it a sort of secret rub it in your face thing to other devs?

Too awesome either way. I will get the general consensus on gaf to see if watching the new videos is too spoilerific. I doubt I will be able to resist if a new screen is posted though..

Seems to be a first-party thing or exclusive-thing (not including MGS4). I don't think InFAMOUS or LittleBigPlanet had installs either.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Sentry said:

Third parties can do it too... see: Final Fantasy XIII.

Dogenzaka said:
Seems to be a first-party thing or exclusive-thing (not including MGS4). I don't think InFAMOUS or LittleBigPlanet had installs either.
Infamous has a 1 gig install. But it's very quick.

Sentry said:

I think it has something to do with it stream texture tech. from the the blu ray disc

noah111

Still Alive
Kagari said:
Third parties can do it too... see: Final Fantasy XIII.
Dogenzaka said:
Note the words "graphically amazing" games. :p

chris0701

Sentry said:

Uncharted 2 needs 1GB hard disk too.

Grooski

Banned
IAMBEEFLESS said:
I think a problem with the game industry is being able to distinguish between when innovation is needed versus when it isn't needed. Why the fuck would Santa Monica change something that works so well? The foundation was laid and all they needed to do was build on it and they did.

Precisely the same can be said about the Ratchet and Clank series.

DeadGzuz

Banned

SmokyDave

Combichristoffersen said:
The game comes with a bong, weed and a couple of twinkies?:eek:
My copy certainly will ;)

Can't wait. The reviews are ridiculous but I have a feeling this game can live up to the hyperbole.

Sentry said:

Yes but on the flip side, KZ2 had the most horrible pause loading at random moments, and U2 took 5 sandwiches to load.

Donos

LM4sure said:
I've only just started playing GoW1. I need to pick up the pace! This game is a winna!

Oh man i wish i could change with you. The first time i saw GoW in the far corner of a VideoWorld (like Blockbuster) with only one copy. The red rating warning cought my eye (german age rating).
Never heard of God of War before. Looked like a trash game i could play through in 4 hours and give back. I was so wrong.Oh hell i played it from start to finish through the whole night in total awe. Couldn't stop. I thought i found one of the greatest "underdog" titles but i was wrong after i googled it and saw the reviews. One of the best PS2 memories i have. I then had high expectations for GoW2 and it blowed me away, again.

good times. (and i'm getting old *sigh*)

Yeh I remember when I picked up GOW. I bought it on an impulse, I had never heard of it, as at the time I never went on gaming forums or looked up gaming news online etc. Best impulse buy of my life, as it turned out to be one of the best games I've ever played.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
pseudocaesar said:
Yeh I remember when I picked up GOW. I bought it on an impulse, I had never heard of it, as at the time I never went on gaming forums or looked up gaming news online etc. Best impulse buy of my life, as it turned out to be one of the best games I've ever played.

Yeah, I bought GoW 1 shortly after I first got my PS2 (didn't get one until 2007), as I'd heard it was supposedly pretty good. My jaw hit the floor when I first popped it in, started playing and saw the amazing graphics, and then suddenly HOLY SHIT WHAT'S THAT GIANT MONSTER OH FUCK! I remember texting one of my friends, saying something like 'dude, you're gonna love this new game I bought, most epic shit I've ever played' :lol

Lince

Banned
pseudocaesar said:
Yes but on the flip side, KZ2 had the most horrible pause loading at random moments, and U2 took 5 sandwiches to load.

- wrong, KZ2 loads in corridors between set-pieces, nothing "random" nor horrible, 1-2 secs though.

- U2 takes 3 sandwiches to load if you want to play an specific chapter (caching to the HDD first), if you play a new game from the start watching every cut-scene you'll never notice loading.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Combichristoffersen said:
Yeah, I bought GoW 1 shortly after I first got my PS2 (didn't get one until 2007), as I'd heard it was supposedly pretty good. My jaw hit the floor when I first popped it in, started playing and saw the amazing graphics, and then suddenly HOLY SHIT WHAT'S THAT GIANT MONSTER OH FUCK! I remember texting one of my friends, saying something like 'dude, you're gonna love this new game I bought, most epic shit I've ever played' :lol

I remember that as well, they really dropped that Hydra on you :lol

Lince said:
- wrong, KZ2 loads in corridors between set-pieces, nothing "random" nor horrible, 1-2 secs though.

- U2 takes 3 sandwiches to load if you want to play an specific chapter (caching to the HDD first), if you play a new game from the start watching every cut-scene you'll never notice loading.
- wrong, KZ2 loading pauses were horrible.

Is there a Killzone 2 patch that fixes the jumpy camera when you're pushing buttons/opening doors/interacting with anything in the SP game? :( Broke my immersion so badly, and in a game where immersion was so key, too.

Lince

Banned
pseudocaesar said:
- wrong, KZ2 loading pauses were horrible.

- wrong, there was a firmware update that messed the loading pauses, but it was fixed. Get your facts straight before posting bullshit.

So I was wondering, if this is the last installement of Kratos, but not the last God of War game...

What direction can Santa Monica take ? Kratos murdered half of the greek and roman mythology already and I guess he's planning to finish the job in GoW III...

So I had this idea: God of War: Nordic mythology. It's already a very brutal and violent scenery. Just imagine how bad ass it would be to beat up beared gods with a beared warrior, hanging Thor's Hammer or something...

I guess that would make a good game. Especially if they look at what Brutal Legend made in terms of world and location (rock world based on northern mythology).

ALso, going through Egypt could be epic, even if the setting might be a bit close the the greek mythology...

Suzzopher

UnluckyKate said:
So I was wondering, if this is the last installement of Kratos, but not the last God of War game...

What direction can Santa Monica take ? Kratos murdered half of the greek and roman mythology already and I guess he's planning to finish the job in GoW III...

So I had this idea: God of War: Nordic mythology. It's already a very brutal and violent scenery. Just imagine how bad ass it would be to beat up beared gods with a beared warrior, hanging Thor's Hammer or something...

I guess that would make a good game. Especially if they look at what Brutal Legend made in terms of world and location (rock world based on northern mythology).

ALso, going through Egypt could be epic, even if the setting might be a bit close the the greek mythology...

I was saying this to the wife at the weekend.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
UnluckyKate said:

I swear this post is identical to another in a previous God of War 3 thread.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Has anyone touched on the performance of the game? The framerate in the demo was less than optimal and I'm hoping they've cleaned it up for the final release. Either lock it at 30 fps with motion blur or aim for 60 fps (I doubt they hit that, however).

Shurs

Lince said:
- wrong, there was a firmware update that messed the loading pauses, but it was fixed. Get your facts straight before posting bullshit.

You're wrong. I started a new single player campaign last night and the pauses are still there.

jett

D-Member
Lince said:

Was it? Last time I played KZ2 the loading pauses were still messed up.

There's always been pauses, but after a firmware update they got longer and weird(sometimes it seems like the game has hung up). I guess it's out of GG's hands, as they have nothing to do with the FW. It's nothing really bad, just kind of a blemish on the game's presentation.

The GOW3 demo also got fucked by a FW update(same deal, pauses and stutters). The team that does that stuff needs to be more careful. :p

methane47 said:
Άρης!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't want to sound like a smart-ass, but actually, the final 's' - 'ς' wouldn't be used in Greek.

So it would be more like

Αρήηηηηηηηηηηηηηηηηηηηηηηηηηηηηηηηηηηηηηηηηηηηηηηηη!!!!

jsnepo

dark10x said:
Has anyone touched on the performance of the game? The framerate in the demo was less than optimal and I'm hoping they've cleaned it up for the final release. Either lock it at 30 fps with motion blur or aim for 60 fps (I doubt they hit that, however).

I hope this gets answered soon. Even with the great visuals this game will have, I will still be disappointed if it doesn't run at 60 fps.

Shurs

jsnepo said:
I hope this gets answered soon. Even with the great visuals this game will have, I will still be disappointed if it doesn't run at 60 fps.

Prepare to be disappointed. The developers have already said the game will run at a variable frame rate. I don't care either way. I wouldn't mind a locked 30 fps.

Shurs said:
Prepare to be disappointed. The developers have already said the game will run at a variable frame rate. I don't care either way. I wouldn't mind a locked 30 fps.

Yeap. As long as the game runs smoothly, which it will, nothing else really matters.

jsnepo said:

It won't.

Originals games ere nowhere 60fps (but more 40 to 45 fps...) GoW Collection was a real god-solid 60fps though.

Don't wait for a 60fps for GoW 3: it's will be lock at 30fps so you can't feel any framedrops.

30 fps is way more than fluid, so don't worry.

rhino4evr

I think uncharted 2 proved that you don't need 60 fps to wow your eyeballs

the whole 60 or not 60fps arguement is retarded to me

Melchiah

jett said:
Was it? Last time I played KZ2 the loading pauses were still messed up.

There's always been pauses, but after a firmware update they got longer and weird(sometimes it seems like the game has hung up). I guess it's out of GG's hands, as they have nothing to do with the FW. It's nothing really bad, just kind of a blemish on the game's presentation.

The GOW3 demo also got fucked by a FW update(same deal, pauses and stutters). The team that does that stuff needs to be more careful. :p

Weird. I just played the GoWIII demo through for the third time last week, and noticed nothing out of the ordinary. The same goes for KZ2, which I played the last time, I think about a month ago.

Lince

Banned
Shurs said:
I can't speak for the God Of War demo, but the loading pauses are certainly still in Killzone 2's single player campaign.

Shurs said:
You're wrong. I started a new single player campaign last night and the pauses are still there.

and will always be :lol the game is designed to load that way instead of fading to black after opening a door or jumping down a ledge and show you a loading screen, we're discussing whether they're "horrible" or just quick pauses, please read before posting, it helps.

Shurs

Melchiah said:
Weird. I just played the GoWIII demo through for the third time last week, and noticed nothing out of the ordinary. The same goes for KZ2, which I played the last time, I think about a month ago.

I can't speak for the God Of War demo, but the loading pauses are certainly still in Killzone 2's single player campaign.

Lince said:
and will always be :lol
we're discussing whether they're "horrible" or just quick pauses, please read before posting, it helps.

It's certainly not game breaking, but it is very jarring, especially when the game is aiming for an immersive experience.

Lince

Banned
Shurs said:
It's certainly not game breaking, but it is very jarring, especially when the game is aiming for an immersive experience.

and the sky is blue, what we're discussing isn't immersion here, my reply was aimed at some trollish comment about how "horrible" and "random" the loading pauses were, the FACT is they're not random nor horrible, if you play through the game you'll notice these QUICK pauses happen between set-pieces. They're clearly designed to be there, it's not a matter of a faulty/limited engine causing random loadings. Sorry for so much off-topic comments, I'm done with this discussion since I don't want to get banned again for defending KZ2 against trolls, smh.

TONX

Distinguished Air Superiority
Shurs said:

That's on par with all the other GOW games, so this is fine by me. Just no tearing.

Lince

Banned
TONX said:
That's on par with all the other GOW games, so this is fine by me. Just no tearing.

same with inFamous and MAG, variable framerate is fine except when it goes below 30 (like MGS4 would jump from 20 to 60).

Top Bottom