• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War: Ascension (PS3, Series Prequel) - Live stream 8AM PST 4/30

Feindflug

The framerate is fine. God Of War III practically felt like a 60FPS game, even if it weren't.

So the "feel" of 60fps is true? :p

Seriously though the variable frame-rate was really annoying IMO since seeing steady 60fps for more than 2-3 minutes was really rare in the game, just lock the frame-rate at 30fps and push the visuals even more...and yes the game was nowhere near a 60fps game in terms of "feel" and controls responsiveness.

Feindflug

It felt a lot smoother and better than other similar games like darksiders orlord of shadows

Well of course it felt smoother than Darksiders & LoS since both of these games run at a lower frame-rate (especially LoS's frame-rate is crap) and don't have the amazing looking motion blur of GoW3 but that doesn't mean that going from 30fps to 50fps and back to 30fps in a matter of seconds was less annoying, at least for me.

Especially compared to GOW2 with all that nasty screen tearing. The first 30 min of the game was the most jaw dropping sequence i have ever played. I always had this vibe GOW3 was very underrated. I guess the story backlash hurt it a bit.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Especially compared to GOW2 with all that nasty screen tearing. The first 30 min of the game was the most jaw dropping sequence i have ever played. I always had this vibe GOW3 was very underrated. I guess the story backlash hurt it a bit.

The story to me was fine.

The story to me was fine.
I like the story too, manyeople here seems to not like Hope and the effort to redeem Kratos but I really like it, it try to show Kratos softer side by making him try to protect Hope although he even failed that in the end. It kinda, ake me feel bad from Kratos that he cant get over his revenge in the end, but I think it's better than if Kratos just kill Zeus without some emotional challenge througout the game.
I think the backlash is more to the labyrinth design than because of Hope story though.

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood

Imo the problem of GoW3 is that the second half of the game is weaker then the first. I starts with a bang, but after that it never reaches that level of awesomeness again. I even hated some parts like the whole giant crates section, it's just unimaginative leveldesign.

It would be ridiculously stupid to have a live-stream and not show any in-game footage.

I also think it's ridiculously stupid to announce a game without showing any gameplay.

Announce game, show nothing. Then reveal what it actually looks like during a live stream!

So the "feel" of 60fps is true? :p

Seriously though the variable frame-rate was really annoying IMO since seeing steady 60fps for more than 2-3 minutes was really rare in the game, just lock the frame-rate at 30fps and push the visuals even more...and yes the game was nowhere near a 60fps game in terms of "feel" and controls responsiveness.

To God of War fans apparently, but not to DMC fans.

I also think it's ridiculously stupid to announce a game without showing any gameplay.

Announce game, show nothing. Then reveal what it actually looks like during a live stream!

it's a teaser. the point is to build hype and anticipation. be thankful if we got gameplay vid at all.

Last of Us was announced last year and we still haven't seen gameplay video other than gaming journalist impression.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
GoW collections is 60FPS but you can tell it was built around 30FPS gameplay, still you can react faster and it feels a lot smoother.
The GoW games have always been aimed at 60fps, not 30. They've never consistantly been there but they've always been close.

Endo Punk

GOW week coming to an end, playing all 3 main games back to back and on the 3rd one now. One thing I didn't realise the times I played before is that the cutscene in GOW2 where Zeus's mum(I think she is anyway) tricks Cronos and hides the baby whilst giving him some random rock to eat. Turns out the rock is actually the Omphalos Stone that Kratos needs to retrieve in order to gain the bad-ass lightning blades.

KingK

I'm glad I've never been able to really notice framerate changes. I don't think I can even tell the difference between 30 fps and 60 fps. I never once noticed any changes or anything wrong with God of War 3's framerate.

Robot Pants

I'm glad I've never been able to really notice framerate changes. I don't think I can even tell the difference between 30 fps and 60 fps. I never once noticed any changes or anything wrong with God of War 3's framerate.

Me too. I never once noticed a framerate drop. The game was extremely smooth, especially for the amazing graphics.

GOW week coming to an end, playing all 3 main games back to back and on the 3rd one now. One thing I didn't realise the times I played before is that the cutscene in GOW2 where Zeus's mum(I think she is anyway) tricks Cronos and hides the baby whilst giving him some random rock to eat. Turns out the rock is actually the Omphalos Stone that Kratos needs to retrieve in order to gain the bad-ass lightning blades.

Dude didn't poop for centuries.

evolution

Me neither, its only really noticeable for me when I play each back to back. Going from pgr2 to RSC2 back in the day is when i started seeing the difference.

There's a few sections in GoW2 PS2 where the framerate gets REALLY terrible. The worst one is right at the end of the long gauntlet to the big Sister of Fate boss fight. Shit is like 10 FPS, it's pathetic
KuGsj.gif

The GoW collection fixed that really well, it was nice to play an old favorite again and not have to worry about bad framerate. If only all HD collections were as good as the GoW one.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I think GoW2 was the game that made me realize what Screen Tearing was. Seemed to have a knack for happening when they showed giant areas in the background, cue huge rips across the screen.

Imo the problem of GoW3 is that the second half of the game is weaker then the first. I starts with a bang, but after that it never reaches that level of awesomeness again. I even hated some parts like the whole giant crates section, it's just unimaginative leveldesign.

Overall i thought the story was the best in the series. Maybe a tad too much "double crossing", but good at tying the whole series together. One thing that bugged me though was the whole damn game was focused on getting to the Flame of Olympus.

1. Kratos damn near killed Zeus in GOW2 so why does he need this really?
2. He's killing off Gods one by one, So uh maybe he already HAS the power to kill a God?
3. He had the power in him the whole time. lol

Other then that i thought it was cool.

I do agree about the second half though, labyrinth slowed the pacing way too much and was a poor build to a final boss.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
Has there been any commentary about this game yet?

All I've heard from one tweet was "holy cow"

and that was it

why aren't other journalists hyping this?

Overall i thought the story was the best in the series. Maybe a tad too much "double crossing", but good at tying the whole series together. One thing that bugged me though was the whole damn game was focused on getting to the Flame of Olympus.

1. Kratos damn near killed Zeus in GOW2 so why does he need this really?
2. He's killing off Gods one by one, So uh maybe he already HAS the power to kill a God?
3. He had the power in him the whole time. lol

Other then that i thought it was cool.

I do agree about the second half though, labyrinth slowed the pacing way too much and was a poor build to a final boss.

I think the concept of the labyrinth itself is really cool, a giant box that you have to disassemble piece by piece to get to the center of it. it's just that the cube is so big that any disassembling you see is just a bunch of boxes moving around and suddenly you get to the center. you don't really how it was removed piece by piece. and I'm pretty sure those boxes you're moving actually have proper mechanism because I remember SSM said before the game is released that the labyrinth is their biggest and most complex dungeon they made and they seemed very proud of it.

I think the concept of the labyrinth itself is really cool, a giant box that you have to disassemble piece by piece to get to the center of it. it's just that the cube is so big that any disassembling you see is just a bunch of boxes moving around and suddenly you get to the center. you don't really how it was removed piece by piece. and I'm pretty sure those boxes you're moving actually have proper mechanism because I remember SSM said before the game is released that the labyrinth is their biggest and most complex dungeon they made and they seemed very proud of it.

The gameplay was fun but probably would have been perfect for the middle of the game besides near the end. In GOW2 the last hour or 2 was a 3 round sister of fates battle, huge Loom Chamber battle, 3rd sister puzzle/fight, and then finally the epic zeus battle.

GOW3 was the slow but cool labyrinth, flying mini game, and a epic zeus battle. Massive difference. It didn't ruin the game for me at all but i kind of missed the non stop chaos battling GOW2 had.

There's a few sections in GoW2 PS2 where the framerate gets REALLY terrible. The worst one is right at the end of the long gauntlet to the big Sister of Fate boss fight. Shit is like 10 FPS, it's pathetic [ig]http://i.imgur.com/KuGsj.gif[/img]

The GoW collection fixed that really well, it was nice to play an old favorite again and not have to worry about bad framerate. If only all HD collections were as good as the GoW one.

Did you seriously make the effort to upload the lol gif and use it in your post? That is more pathetic than any framerate issues.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
The gameplay was fun but probably would have been perfect for the middle of the game besides near the end. In GOW2 the last hour or 2 was a 3 round sister of fates battle, huge Loom Chamber battle, 3rd sister puzzle/fight, and then finally the epic zeus battle.

GOW3 was the slow but cool labyrinth, flying mini game, and a epic zeus battle. Massive difference. It didn't ruin the game for me at all but i kind of missed the non stop chaos battling GOW2 had.

One of the final setpieces in a trilogy full of amazing settings was a series of brown cubes. I'm convinced this happened because they spent too much time getting the Titan sequences to work.

I eagerly anticipate GOW:A, in which they will demonstrate that they can produce a more consistently interesting game that doesn't completely blow its wad in the first two 3rds. *fingers crossed*

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
One of the final setpieces in a trilogy full of amazing settings was a series of brown cubes. I'm convinced this happened because they spent too much time getting the Titan sequences to work.

I eagerly anticipate GOW:A, in which they will demonstrate that they can produce a more consistently interesting game that doesn't completely blow its wad in the first two 3rds. *fingers crossed*

I also thought the titan fight costed them way too much time(and I hate that part, but I'm in the minority).

Also, don't forget, the last boss in the trilogy before Zeus? Random Scorpion. And this is coupled afterwards with that terribly balanced Cerberus fight. Bleh.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I also thought the titan fight costed them way too much time(and I hate that part, but I'm in the minority).

Also, don't forget, the last boss in the trilogy before Zeus? Random Scorpion. And this is coupled afterwards with that terribly balanced Cerberus fight. Bleh.

I think the opening sequence is both exciting and beautiful, but upon repeated playthroughs I was definitely less impressed with the Cronos fight. It has its moments but a lot of it is very obviously segmented and robotic which somewhat impedes the sense of fighting on the body of a giant, intelligent being.

I agree about the scorpion (which I now hate after Chaos difficulty) and the Cerberus fight is okay (but also terrible on Chaos difficulty) but as Killing_Joke said, compared to the final hour of GOW2, GOW3's final hours are just flat out disappointing.

Endo Punk

That's what makes me even more excited with Ascension. In GOW3 clearly a lot of work went into engine, tech and getting Titan sequences right that some parts did feel underwhelming or under-developed.

Now with SSM taking another crack at it and with all the stuff already in place GOW:A has the potential to take the franchise to the next level.

spats

That's what makes me even more excited with Ascension. In GOW3 clearly a lot of work went into engine, tech and getting Titan sequences right that some parts did feel underwhelming or under-developed.

Now with SSM taking another crack at it and with all the stuff already in place GOW:A has the potential to take the franchise to the next level.

UC1->UC2 leap, bring it.

Maybe I'm setting my expectations too high.

Cesar

Banned
UC1->UC2 leap, bring it.

Maybe I'm setting my expectations too high.

GoW III's tech was already at U2 level or better, so don't expect a leap like U1 -> U2, PS3 has a limit. It will come down to better level and art design to make the game look better.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
GoW III's tech was already at U2 level or better, so don't expect a leap like U1 -> U2, PS3 has a limit. It will come down to better level and art design to make the game look better.

After the gray bullshit they pulled for the last 3rd of the game, it should be incredibly easy to make something more impressive looking that harkens back to GOW1 and 2.

-viper-

Banned
That's because LoS was 24fps, with dips.
GoW3 feels nothing like 60fps, there would be a massive difference for the better if the game ran at 60.
I've just tried GOW3 and it feels smooth as butter. It is far more responsive than any other 30FPS game out there.

60FPS games have no input lag. 30FPS games have input lag in the abundance. GOW3 has no input lag and never slows down. Coupled with the motion blur, you seemingly feel like the game is 60FPS.

I've just tried GOW3 and it feels smooth as butter. It is far more responsive than any other 30FPS game out there.

60FPS games have no input lag. 30FPS games have input lag in the abundance. GOW3 has no input lag and never slows down. Coupled with the motion blur, you seemingly feel like the game is 60FPS.

i remember the dodging rolls had some input lag, while the attacks and parries dont have any noticeable lags. that felt pretty awkward, iirc.

zoukka

So much inaccuracy in this post. No matter the framerate, your TV, controller and the game in question all add to the input lag. And GoWIII doesn't have a locked framerate, it varies all the time.

I respect GOW3. They wanted to focus more on story and set pieces, while spicing up the gameplay. They just got a little lazy with the pacing.

Now since they don't have to focus on titans and giant gods this time around, i'm getting really tingly how beautiful this game might look.

MrPliskin

Banned
Can we stop with the stupid frame rate discussion? Seriously, who gives a shit. God of War 3 played well, and was pretty smooth. If the end result is an enjoyable game, who cares? If that's what you're looking for, I say you head to Beyond3D. They love that stuff.

Top Bottom