• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War Ascension Screenshots - Best looking Console Game this gen ?

Reiko

Banned
UC3 IQ

Has it's highs and many more lows.

The PPAA solution fails on numerous occasions, doesn't really solve sub pixel aliasing, and on top of that... A lack of good anisotropic filtering hurts the overall package.

DOTS_000.bmp.jpg

The Last of Us is also suffering from these same problems.

What... no it's not.

Horizon looks amazing but it most definitely does not look sharper. FXAA just blurs everything unlike MLAA.

I mean, just look at something like this:
http://i3.minus.com/iywZp2ZeVv7jF.jpg

Maybe for God of War 3. But this particular MLAA solution is blurry. IMO

BadAss2961

As good as they look, screenshots never do God of War justice.

It has its highs and lows, but when high, God of War 3 is already arguably the best looking game this gen. I have no doubt Ascension will top it.

Technically speaking The Last of Us is looking to be the most technically impressive console game, period. People need to consider animation and AI too.

Also, U3 is the current best looking game.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
UC3 IQ

Has it's highs and many more lows.

The PPAA solution fails on numerous occasions, doesn't really solve sub pixel aliasing, and on top of that... A lack of good anisotropic filtering hurts the overall package.

[IG]http://images.eurogamer.net/2011/articles//a/1/4/1/8/3/2/8/DOTS_000.bmp.jpg[/IMG]

The Last of Us is also suffering from these same problems.

Maybe for God of War 3. But this particular MLAA solution is blurry. IMO

We're talking a matter of degrees here, right? Maybe GoWA is blurry but FH is way blurrier.

Both look blurry. But Forza Horizon is a bit sharper.

I don't think so. Horizon is notably blurry, though clean. GoWA and GoW3 are not, infact they are really sharp when taking into account that the AA is postproce'd.

Also framerate and tearing have nothing to do with IQ. Well, tearing maybe, but there is none in GoW as far as I know, and framerate is notably higher than 30.

meta4

UC3 does not have IQ as good as GOW3 but to call it terrible is a strech. It looks better than most console games out there in terms of IQ.

This is in game. How is IQ terrible?

image_uncharted_3_drake_s_deception-17367-2182_0005.jpg

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
ND'S AA method...I guess it works well in bright scenes and not so well in dark scenes? But it's harder to see jaggies in dark scenes anyway. The most jaggy part of the game for me was Cartagena, which was a bright scene...

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Hell someone post that gif where Kratos is staring into the distance and there's like tornados and shit moving around. That was one of the really amazing looking parts.

You mean this one?

godofwariii-finalbosskq8ia.gif

Snipes424

I think overall The Last of Us is the most impressive when it comes to console graphics, from what I've seen.

However, when playing God of War 3 I couldn't believe some of the things I was seeing on my TV.. it is by far the most epic game and on a technical level it's second to none.

meta4

That pic was a bullshot. In the real game there is sub pixel aliasing on the objects on Drake's clothes. Plus obvious jaggies in the distance as posted in a similar pic.

Oops sorry I just googled direct feed screens and came up with that one. But either ways this IQ is in no ways terrible

This one?
uncharted3drakesdecepbixl3.jpg

You mean this one?

godofwariii-finalbosskq8ia.gif
That's one damn impressive scene.

However, I couldn't help but notice how only one torch is casting a reflection on the tiles...

Edit: No wait, NO torches are casting reflections, it's just the environment map! Blegh!

I hate being cognizant of tricks like this. Totally kills the immersion.

Ricky_R

The most jaggy part of the game for me was Cartagena, which was a bright scene...

For me, as far as I remember, the two parts that jaggies made my head hurt were the airport when you could see the plane and track far away from the roof and the market when they reached Yemen?. That market part was a pain to look at.

And now that I think about it, Cartagena did have some nasty jaggies indeed.

However, I couldn't help but notice how only one torch is casting a reflection on the tiles...

Edit: No wait, NO torches are casting reflections, it's just the environment map! Blegh!

Actually, that's the sun in the sky casting that reflection. :)

/ah your edit beat me ;P

Drencrom

Um, how in the world are those in game/direct feed? There is no aliasing at all. What are they downsampled from?

The aliasing is there, Uncharted 3 have some edge detect processing that removes jaggies inconsistently. The jaggies are visible in some spots in the images and in the jungle pic they're glaring.

meta4

Thats the sun.

EDIT :Beaten.

UC3 had an anti-aliasing solution? Can't say I noticed that lol.

On topic: I'm not as impressed by this as I was by GOW3 tbh.. maybe it's the art design.

bob page

Nope- looks bland & uninspired. Kind of sad that I have absolutely no interest in this game after how much I loved the previous three.

Top Bottom