• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War had the best debut month ever for a PlayStation exclusive

nowhat

Now if only the AAA dev cycle wasn't 5+ years
It isn't necessarily that. For example, Horizon took five (or six even, depending on the source) years, but most of that was spent by a small team working on the engine/tools. The actual development within the entire studio took only two years. Similarly, much of the work here was on the engine. Now that they have all the pieces together, a sequel shouldn't be that hard to pull off.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
don't get me wrong, i did like Gow 4 and i did like TLOU, but they are too damn overrated, they get praised for the simplest things, i just don't get why people liked TLOU's story even though it is a generic Hollywood zombie movie story but with good acting and yet you see it gets mentioned as one of the best stories in gaming

God of war 4 has an amazing combat system and that i cannot deny, but the lack of bosses, lack of large monsters, the long and boring travelling and the repetitive enemy encounters with no variety in their design which reminds me of Nioh, makes it not worth the scores it got, for a game that got 94MC in this generation it should be a true masterpiece like BOTW or Witcher 3

take Hellblade for an example, it is probably one of the worst games i have ever played, boring as fuck, repetitive as fuck, frustrating as fuck, and yet it gets praised

Horizon is almost overrated, it got 89MC which is a little too high for a Far Cry clone and yet people call it one of the best open world games along side Witcher 3 and BOTW, in my opnion Horizon should have a 84MC, it's a good game, but not that good

lets talk about Nier since it's on your profile, it scored 88MC and people call it's world beautiful and they enjoy the quests, What the actual fuck ?? the world is as empty as MGS V and as ugly as a ps2 game and the quests are as horrible as FFXV's, how the fuck did this game gets praised ?

however not all sony exclusives become overrated, only the hyped ones, look at Yakuza series, it gets 80-85MC, even though Yakuza 0 story is better than everything ND and Santa monica did in their whole career combined and yet you don't see it gets praised, and that's an underrated game, Yakuza series deserved more but sony fans only care about generic bullshit

the next overrated game will be Spiderman, sure it won't score as high as GOW 4, but it will definitely get overrated, i'm guessing 88MC, and when you play the game you will see all the flaws that makes it a 70-80MC game but it will get praised no matter what because it's a sony Exclusive

and next year witness the insane scores for TLOU 2, i won't be surprised if it got 98MC even though it won't deserve it, for fucks sake they gave a walking simulator a 93MC, what do you think they'll give the sequel to TLOU ? which is probably the most overrated game of all time
All this wall of text and all you are really saying you don't undrestand why people praise the games that YOU don't like. It looks like you think your opinion much superior than others. if the game YOU think is not worth the praise then others shouldn't praise it either. I really hope you know this type of post makes look really self centred person....right?

nowhat

All this wall of text and all you are really saying you don't undrestand why people praise the games that YOU don't like. It looks like you think your opinion much superior than others. if the game YOU think is not worth the praise then others shouldn't praise it either. I really hope you know this type of post makes look really self centred person....right?
While I definitely agree with you - whenever there's a thread even remotely mentioning HZD, how's that working out for you? :)

Danjin44

While I definitely agree with you - whenever there's a thread even remotely mentioning HZD, how's that working out for you? :)
Again....I will criticize the games I don't like but you don't fucking see me calling the game "overrated".

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Also, since you apparently have a shift key on you keyboard, you might consider utilizing it more. Makes for nicer reading. Punctuation too.

Grammar and punctuation is overrated as fuck. Everyone hypes them up, they are not bad (except semi-colon which is garbage) but they just are not that great.

Why are we entertaining his trolling as a valid complaint? He hates Sony, we get it, move along.

nowhat

Again....I will criticize the games I don't like but you don't fucking see me calling the game "overrated".
You're right, a brief google didn't turn up you using that particular phrase. But I can recall several threads where your opinion is (or at least seems to come out as) "you honestly can't think that, the game sucks". Which is fine, it is your opinion after all - just that it is seems you are too much invested in it.

On a personal level, BOTW has been the most disappointing game of recent years. I got a Switch November last year, and by that time had been told all around that it should be the best game ever. I started playing it, got about 20 hours in and... haven't touched it since. Sure, the interaction with the world is nice, although I absolutely hate some of the mechanics. And there's a large sandbox to play with. But the game fails to answer "but why?", at least to me. Yet, I refrain myself from commenting on threads concerning BOTW, because if someone enjoys it, knock yourself out. Different strokes and all that.

Danjin44

You're right, a brief google didn't turn up you using that particular phrase. But I can recall several threads where your opinion is (or at least seems to come out as) "you honestly can't think that, the game sucks". Which is fine, it is your opinion after all - just that it is seems you are too much invested in it.
look you are free to criticize any game you want, I don't really care. My issue is when people start calling games "overrated" and they think if they don't like the game them selfs then others shouldn't either.
On a personal level, BOTW has been the most disappointing game of recent years. I got a Switch November last year, and by that time had been told all around that it should be the best game ever. I started playing it, got about 20 hours in and... haven't touched it since. Sure, the interaction with the world is nice, although I absolutely hate some of the mechanics. And there's a large sandbox to play with. But the game fails to answer "but why?", at least to me. Yet, I refrain myself from commenting on threads concerning BOTW, because if someone enjoys it, knock yourself out. Different strokes and all that.
Also like how you say that but after "commenting" of why you don't like BoTW.:p

nowhat

Also like how you say that but after "commenting" of why you don't like BoTW.:p
...in this particular instance, as an example. If you see me doing it in threads even tangentially related to BOTW, your point is taken. So far, you've no ground to stand on.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Impressive sales for an impressive game.
I didn’t think they could hype up a God of War game this much.

Danjin44

...in this particular instance, as an example. If you see me doing it in threads even tangentially related to BOTW, your point is taken. So far, you've no ground to stand on.
We had this conversation before and again you "comment" on BotW as example just like this. I don't really care if you want to comment or criticize the game. I'm honestly just sick of hearing word "overrated" just because they personally didn't like the game.

Last edited:

nowhat

We had this conversation before and again you "comment" on BotW as example just like this. I don't really care if you want to comment or criticize the game. I'm honestly just sick of hearing word "overrated" just because they personally didn't like the game.
We've had this conversation before. I still maintain that you inject yourself into discussions regarding HZD much more often than I do to those regarding BOTW.

And this is really the only reason why your comment earlier amused me. But admittedly, I had a shitty day at work and have had quite a few after-work scotchs, so I'm even more likely to start arguing than usual. But really, 'tis nothing personal. I appreciate you as a member of the forum (way before I even registered), and (mostly) share your love of Japanese games. So... truce? Seriously, no hard feelings.

Danjin44

We've had this conversation before. I still maintain that you inject yourself into discussions regarding HZD much more often than I do to those regarding BOTW.

And this is really the only reason why your comment earlier amused me. But admittedly, I had a shitty day at work and have had quite a few after-work scotchs, so I'm even more likely to start arguing than usual. But really, 'tis nothing personal. I appreciate you as a member of the forum (way before I even registered), and (mostly) share your love of Japanese games. So... truce? Seriously, no hard feelings.
Don't worry about it, this was nothing more than friendly discussion.

BANGS

Banned
B...but no one likes Single player games!!! Everything has to be online and a shared experience and multiplayer focused!!!!
This is madness!!!!!
Let's not spin the narrative and pretend that GOW wouldn't have made alot more money if it didn't have all the regular AAA features shoehorned in...

thelastword

Banned
I upgraded to pro at the same time and had to visit 3 stores before I tracked one down. Sales this good for an exclusive game also translate to a sizable hardware bump I'm sure.
Yeah, I commented on that via anecdotes before the official numbers came and of course the NPD group detailed that "PRO hardware did very well this month". I think this time, there were more PRO's sold than regular PS4's...I still feel PRO stock is not at optimum, other folk apart from you have indicated it's hard to come by, especially folk in Europe...I also think Sony has been shifting some stock from Japan to other regions, so perhaps even more units could be sold worldwide if available....Or perhaps there is a PRO slim coming....

I have a hard time believing that it outsold the first of Grand Theft Auto Vice City and/or San Andreas. Yes, I know they were eventually ported to other systems, but they did begin life as PS2 exclusives.

Unless they are referring explicitly to Sony first party games.
Yes, it pulled in more revenue than San Andreas....remember NPD goes by Dollar sales and not sales units, since any game can be sold for $1 and dominate the chart or skewed.

It's now the 3rd best selling game of 2018.

Far Cry 5 and Monster Hunter are ahead of it. Pretty crazy for an exclusive!

Yes, and it will overtake Monster Hunter by next Month. Tracking so far indicates that GOW has some nice legs for May.......

don't get me wrong, i did like Gow 4 and i did like TLOU, but they are too damn overrated, they get praised for the simplest things, i just don't get why people liked TLOU's story even though it is a generic Hollywood zombie movie story but with good acting and yet you see it gets mentioned as one of the best stories in gaming

God of war 4 has an amazing combat system and that i cannot deny, but the lack of bosses, lack of large monsters, the long and boring travelling and the repetitive enemy encounters with no variety in their design which reminds me of Nioh, makes it not worth the scores it got, for a game that got 94MC in this generation it should be a true masterpiece like BOTW or Witcher 3

take Hellblade for an example, it is probably one of the worst games i have ever played, boring as fuck, repetitive as fuck, frustrating as fuck, and yet it gets praised

Horizon is almost overrated, it got 89MC which is a little too high for a Far Cry clone and yet people call it one of the best open world games along side Witcher 3 and BOTW, in my opnion Horizon should have a 84MC, it's a good game, but not that good

lets talk about Nier since it's on your profile, it scored 88MC and people call it's world beautiful and they enjoy the quests, What the actual fuck ?? the world is as empty as MGS V and as ugly as a ps2 game and the quests are as horrible as FFXV's, how the fuck did this game gets praised ?

however not all sony exclusives become overrated, only the hyped ones, look at Yakuza series, it gets 80-85MC, even though Yakuza 0 story is better than everything ND and Santa monica did in their whole career combined and yet you don't see it gets praised, and that's an underrated game, Yakuza series deserved more but sony fans only care about generic bullshit

the next overrated game will be Spiderman, sure it won't score as high as GOW 4, but it will definitely get overrated, i'm guessing 88MC, and when you play the game you will see all the flaws that makes it a 70-80MC game but it will get praised no matter what because it's a sony Exclusive

and next year witness the insane scores for TLOU 2, i won't be surprised if it got 98MC even though it won't deserve it, for fucks sake they gave a walking simulator a 93MC, what do you think they'll give the sequel to TLOU ? which is probably the most overrated game of all time

You realize that it was not sony fans who gave GOW a 94MC or a 95OC score.....

i'm not talking about taste, i'm talking about people praising things in sony exclusives that doesn't make sense, you see some people say MGS V's world is empty and pointless which is true but then you see them say Nier 2 world is good, that doesn't make any sense, why hated MGS V's world but liked Nier 2's ?? both are empty as fuck

i see people saying Horizon counts as one of the best RPGs but actually you can't change the story in Horizon and the dialogue wheel has no effect, but then you see them saying Fallout 4 is not an RPG even though you can change the story in Fallout 4

all i'm saying is that Sony exclusives get more than they deserve and we have many games as a proof, they're not bad (except for Hellblade because it's garbage) they're just overrated as fuck

i don't "predict", i just see trailers and judge them, i saw God of war's trailers and i liked the change since the last 6 games were identical, but in no way i thought it would be a 94MC, when i saw the scores i knew something is not right, and when i finished the game it turned out i was right, the game is overrated, and like i said before, not all sony exclusives are overrated, Detroit comes out in a couple of days and i'm sure it won't score 90+MC

i don't rant against popular things, i just say my honest opinion and i don't give a shit about what others think, i loved popular games like Witcher 3, Overwatch and BOTW
Apparently all Sony games are overrated according to you. You thought GOW was overrated from the time you saw a 94MC, yet every mainline GOW release is sitting at a 90+ on MC......GOW1, 2, 3 and this one which is (GOW4), yet, you were not surprised/perturbed that a game series that never hit 90MC before part 3 "in witcher 3" was great and got the score it deserved, when it's a known quantity that all the games in that series have janky combat. At the end of the day, you like what you like, it's just that more people loved GOW....

Last edited:

Damerman

why? Because someone has a different opinion than you? Thats a terrible stance to take.

I think the game is a masterpiece, but my opinion is mine.
I think the word is stupid and its become the catch phrase for contrarian people who dont know how to substantiate their opinions.

Aces&Eights

Just picked this up last night and played about an hour and a half. Holy crap, what a game. And people are saying the beginning is really slow???? That fight with the first human guy was awesome. The combat feels so good and the sound the axe makes when it comes back is so satisfying. I am really looking forward to dropping a shit ton of time into this game.

Top Bottom