• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War Spoiler Thread

Manus

So after the reviews hit we got an image from the game that has leaked. Now I just want the story to leak.

2445mo2.jpg

Last edited:

mcz117chief

I don't want to get spoiled but I will definitely come back here once I finish the game. I hope there will be something to discuss, hte game looks fantastic :)

Anything showing off other weapons you get yet?
Edit: Specifically meaning the sword that was mentioned in the ESRB description.

Last edited:

Cleared_Hot

Does nobody want to actually talk about this game? Seriously though, who else thought her ashes would wake up all of the Giants?!

Psykodad

Banned
Does nobody want to actually talk about this game? Seriously though, who else thought her ashes would wake up all of the Giants?!
Same, was ready to crush some giants.

I was also ready crush the following enemies:
- That giant bird in Helheim. Missed opportunity
- Thor (awesome seeing him in the secret post-credits scene though)
- Freya (nothing scarier than a woman's wrath)
- Atreus (I swear I was convinced he'd completely go overboard after finding out he's god)

Wish the game didn't end yet, kind of felt like Soul Reaver's "to be continued" ending. Which shows how awesome this game is, because I didn't want it to end. But the ending was well-done imo.

I'm actually curious to know if there are other dads out there that were hoping for Kratos to slap some sense into Atreus after he got all high and mighty?

Moneal

I was expecting something to happen as well.

So, unmarked spoilers?

I mean it is a spoiler thread.

Same, was ready to crush some giants.

I was also ready crush the following enemies:
- That giant bird in Helheim. Missed opportunity
- Thor (awesome seeing him in the secret post-credits scene though)
- Freya (nothing scarier than a woman's wrath)
- Atreus (I swear I was convinced he'd completely go overboard after finding out he's god)

Wish the game didn't end yet, kind of felt like Soul Reaver's "to be continued" ending. Which shows how awesome this game is, because I didn't want it to end. But the ending was well-done imo.

I'm actually curious to know if there are other dads out there that were hoping for Kratos to slap some sense into Atreus after he got all high and mighty?

Hope all those things come in the next game. The dwarfs said the winter that set in would last for 3 years before Ragnarok starts.. would love a 3 year time jump and the start of Ragnarok.

And the part were Atreus got big headed, I was almost disappointed when Kratos didn't come down on him. But it showed Kratos' growth over the course of the game.

JangoRain

When we find the missing panel to Tyr’s story and there were symbols from other mythologies I got so hyped. Future is bright for the series and I can’t wait for more of Kratos and Atreus’ journey

This is barely a spoiler but I still don't want to post it in the other thread.
But the fast travel system you use. Its actually just a ring. And its just a cool trick to hide the game loading from the player. And you can run circles around the ring if you want.

After I discovered that, I realized you dont have to run forward at all. just walk in and stand still. And when the game loads the place you are going, a the gate apears a few meters in front of you.

It gives you the illusion that you need run to some gate in front of you. But actually it just spawns when ready. And thats why you will notice the gate spawns earlier on some destinations, but takes longer on others.

nowhat

Go back home after beating the game.

One of the dwarves basically hints you to do this. Ans that is where the final cut scene is. And you getthe real ending credits scroll.
Oh cool, thanks! I just finished the main game with in the end quite little side content, was about to do a fuller run on a higher difficulty, but I guess I'll watch that first.

Edit: just did, and man, what a tease. But I guess we'll have to wait to the next game to fight him. Unless any DLC is planned?

Last edited:

Cleared_Hot

One of the few games where I actually want to continue playing to find everything because they make it worthwhile with challenging puzzles and battles.

And everyone out there saying it was a total reboot and for anyone who was afraid this would be so differen... This game was GoW through and through. All the silly charm (minus another funny sex scene), the brutality, gameplay standards (rooms with spinning blades and massive stomping blocks) with some random climbing... Hell yeah.

I fucking loved the story. It was soooo well done between father/son and mother/son as well but also the story was small scale compared the the last GoW, but it still felt super epic. Now, with the hints to come, I'm fucking excited as hell for the series. We still don't know exactly why kratos is even here, we now know all the mythologies exist simultaneously in the same universe so-to-speak, and it's fucking hilarious that despite everything kratos has tried to do, God's are dying left and right and the end of the world is coming yet again.

Codes 208

Not gonna lie, that first fight with baldur is the most anime dbz-esque thing ive seen in a western production since man of steel

And i dig it.

My only gripe with the story is how the kid becomes an asshole out of nowhere midgame. I was screaming at kratos "just slap that little shit".

The story was surprisingly "small". They set off to scatter her ashes and they do just that.

One of my favorite moments was the boat ride to retrieve the blades of chaos. The moment we see athena on the boat. That creepy smile. I wasn't expecting direct references to previous GoWs.
And their conversation in the cabin. It was perfect.

nowhat

My only gripe with the story is how the kid becomes an asshole out of nowhere midgame. I was screaming at kratos "just slap that little shit".
I agree. I mean, I get what they were going for - the kid suddenly finds out he's a god too. Kind of like after living a life in poverty, you suddenly inherit your unknown billionaire uncle and become a spoiled obnoxious brat overnight. Just that the execution was off.

One of my favorite moments was the boat ride to retrieve the blades of chaos.
So much this. It reminded me of the ending of "Unforgiven" (the Clint Eastwood flick). This may seem like a strange comparison, but bear with me. In the movie, Eastwood's character has spent years perhaps not trying to redeem himself (he may be beyond redemption), but at least trying to actively forget what he was (or is, as the case may be). But eventually he is forced to return to his old self, partially due to events he caused himself. He really doesn't want to, but he has to. Similarly Kratos is not exactly jumping with joy to get the ol' blades back, but it's not like he has a choice. The way this was presented, that was both very subtle and yet powerful, was just awesome.

Last edited:
Speaking of the Blades of Chaos, shouldn't it have been the Blades of Exile? Also it kind of came off as Athena being a illusion of Kratos' guilt, even though in God of War 3 she wasn't and gave him the Blades of Exile.

iorek21

Finished the game some hours ago.

As a whole package, GoW is an almost perfect game, holy hell, what an amazing ride. Very well polished!

My only gripe with it (besides the camera) is the ending... it felt too much like a sequel bait, which is not really a problem, but it just wasn't as fulfilling as I thought it would be.

Maybe this is my own fault, as I was honestely expecting that the "spread family member's ashes" plot was only the beginning, but it ended up being the main objective...

Still, it's a safe 10/10

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Awesome game. My only criticism is the story section of Kratos revealing that he and his son are gods, to the son turning into an insufferable murderous brat, back to him being a good boy again. That whole story arc felt rushed. Mind you, I had pretty much done everything else at that point and was mainlining the story so perhaps that was the issue. Also, I honestly expected to see more Gods make an appearance. I wasn't expecting it to be really just Baldur.

So many awesome locales and battles that will stick with me for a while. The Queen of the Valkyries battle was intense. I got so close so many times and she would just evaporate me. Finally got it though! The first fight with Baldur may be one of my favorite boss fights in a long time.

I still have to finish the second go round of the Muspelheim challenges and mop up the collections around the map to get Platinum.

Hell of a start to this new story. I'm looking forward to what they have in store next!

Manus

I was so disappointed when you go to Hel and fight the gate keeper. I was expecting some epic boss fight and it's just another troll reskin. I mean come on.

nowhat

I was so disappointed when you go to Hel and fight the gate keeper. I was expecting some epic boss fight and it's just another troll reskin. I mean come on.
This (not this particular scene, but in general) was one of my complaints too.

As stated elsewhere, I haven't done much of the side content and will do a more complete run on harder difficulty (so perhaps my opinion will change with the side content), but the game could really do with some more enemy types. There are different variations of the same enemies, but the actual differences are quite minor. It more feels like you keep fighting the same enemies, they just keep leveling up as you do. The combat is still fun though, and keeps getting better as you unlock new skills, but more different enemies/bosses is something that definitely could/should be improved in the inevitable sequel. (we are a getting a sequel, right?)

Speaking of bosses - am I the only one, who after cutting the chains at Tyr's Temple, was looking so forward to fighting the two giant statues, only to be disappointed that they in fact are just statues?

Manus

This (not this particular scene, but in general) was one of my complaints too.

As stated elsewhere, I haven't done much of the side content and will do a more complete run on harder difficulty (so perhaps my opinion will change with the side content), but the game could really do with some more enemy types. There are different variations of the same enemies, but the actual differences are quite minor. It more feels like you keep fighting the same enemies, they just keep leveling up as you do. The combat is still fun though, and keeps getting better as you unlock new skills, but more different enemies/bosses is something that definitely could/should be improved in the inevitable sequel. (we are a getting a sequel, right?)

Speaking of bosses - am I the only one, who after cutting the chains at Tyr's Temple, was looking so forward to fighting the two giant statues, only to be disappointed that they in fact are just statues?

Agreed. The gate keeper had a neat mechanic just was disappointed it was a reskin. I'm assuming since they have the engine and gameplay figured out they can add a lot to the sequel or so I hope.

Leocarian

Banned
I beat the game earlier today and my emotions are all over and it's gonna take time to absorb it. There are things that I absolutely loved and there were things that made me go like huh? Just why? Overall, quite an amazing game but it shows that PS4 is a piece of shit ancient hardware and that Sony Santa Monica did the best they could and they did an amazing job. The future games have amazing potential thanks to the deep lore and mythologies and story can go to multiple places, this is very exciting stuff. Overall, I think PS4 has hit its limit, please bring on next-gen systems now and let these ones die because trying to make the gameplay more improved in a future game, develop next-gen world building, and new mechanics will not be possible on these shitty current gen machines. Thank you.

P.S. Still need to do optional content

Quick thoughts list

- Tyr's story was awesome
- Atreus got annoying as shit when he learned his a god, shut the fuck up pls kiddo.
- Freya is hot, sensual, and sexy + great voice acting and good story arc - gonna assume she's gonna be one of the bad guys/gals next game (for those who beat the game will know why)
- Getting back the Blades of Chaos gave me goosebumps and chills
- Getting to the final realm was very anticlimactic, I was hoping to fight some giants or encounter some new enemies - very stupid cocktease but the realm looked amazing
- Helheim could have been better, boring enemies
- Bridge Keeper was the only challenging troll fight
- Troll fights were way overused/reskinned
- Most bosses were not very challenging or disappointing - The Dragon was good, Magni and Modi arguably probably the best boss fight along with The Stranger, everything else felt either filler/tacked on
- The final boss fight was boring as shit I was hoping for more interesting mechanics or possible more godly powers from him, but it just seemed like The Stranger 2.0
- The Stranger boss fight though was beyond exceptional considering it was the beginning of the game and the whole scene was acted out great, awesome voice actor as well
- I am hoping that one day we will be forced to go back to Greece (would love to see it on next-gen hardware), maybe we will go to Egypt once too if you guys remember seeing Tyr's painting there were multiple different symbols of different worlds including Greece and Egypt, not sure what the other 2 were.

- Gonna go finish post content now and let you know my thoughts on those!

By the way, I did all the boss fights with 0 Hit Kills (with the exception of Boulder, will go back and attempt that soon after I finish post-game content) they're up on our YouTube (Not all of them yet, need to edit the videos and do the voiceover on some of them, will upload the rest soon) - if you're curious to see and want a link send me a PM)

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Anyone have a
Lords of Shadow final battle with Satan deja vu
?

I finished it tonight. I absolutely loved it, but I was thinking we'd fight Thor and then Odin. I'm not trying to sound ungrateful here. This game is amazing. It's like a pallet cleanser for 2018. Santa Monica Studios is an amazing studio.

I got the Thor cutscene. His lighting makes him look really powerful.

I spent some time on a Valkyrie, but those were tough. They one shotted me.

I feel like God of War 2 now! I'm going to play more of this game and I want my wife to play it too.

I was worried about spoilers and honestly I didn't have any problems. I stayed off YouTube. That helped a lot.

Last edited:

nowhat

I though this might belong here:

Even if you dislike Kinda Funny (and please, let's not get into the politics of it in this thread) it's an interesting watch, it's mostly Cory who does the talking. A word of warning though, even if this is the spoiler thread - some of the lore for example is discussed, that may (or may not) reference future games, also things you might have missed during your gameplay (I know I did).

Cleared_Hot

The story was surprisingly "small". They set off to scatter her ashes and they do just that.

One of my favorite moments was the boat ride to retrieve the blades of chaos. The moment we see athena on the boat. That creepy smile. I wasn't expecting direct references to previous GoWs.
And their conversation in the cabin. It was perfect.

Dude I lost my shit as soon as he looked at his arms I'm like ohhhhh shit he still has em!! And yeah the whole ride was epic and dark AF and using them again was super satisfying with the huge jump in graphics.

I agree. I mean, I get what they were going for - the kid suddenly finds out he's a god too. Kind of like after living a life in poverty, you suddenly inherit your unknown billionaire uncle and become a spoiled obnoxious brat overnight. Just that the execution was off.

So much this. It reminded me of the ending of "Unforgiven" (the Clint Eastwood flick). This may seem like a strange comparison, but bear with me. In the movie, Eastwood's character has spent years perhaps not trying to redeem himself (he may be beyond redemption), but at least trying to actively forget what he was (or is, as the case may be). But eventually he is forced to return to his old self, partially due to events he caused himself. He really doesn't want to, but he has to. Similarly Kratos is not exactly jumping with joy to get the ol' blades back, but it's not like he has a choice. The way this was presented, that was both very subtle and yet powerful, was just awesome.

Agreed 100% but kratos is doing it for the right reasons and left us with little reason to believe he anywhere close to being finished doing battle.

Speaking of the Blades of Chaos, shouldn't it have been the Blades of Exile? Also it kind of came off as Athena being a illusion of Kratos' guilt, even though in God of War 3 she wasn't and gave him the Blades of Exile.

Oh shit, mind=blown. How the hell did they get that wrong?!

I don't think they got that wrong. Either he has a bunch of other weapons in his basement he kept, but just chose that one. Or he ditched all his other weapons for whatever reason and only kept the Blades of Chaos for some sentimental reason.

Moneal

When did everyone realize Atreus was Loki? For me it was when Freya freaked out about the arrows. Didn't notice that they said they were mistletoe until she lost it.

nowhat

When did everyone realize Atreus was Loki? For me it was when Freya freaked out about the arrows. Didn't notice that they said they were mistletoe until she lost it.
As someone who isn't that into Norse mythology, that bit (Freya getting all worked up over the arrows) really didn't raise my eyebrows much, other than "we'll surely hear about this later on" - which we certainly did.

But after finishing the main story, I spent a fair bit googling the characters involved. And while the game plays a bit fast and loose with the mythology (and that's fine, it's a game, and it's not like there's a canonical version of the myths), I was kind of surprised that the reason Baldur was vulnerable to a mistletoe was just kind of brushed off. Perhaps explaining it wouldn't have worked narratively after the fight, but the actual myth is quite cool. Unless it gets explained in some side content I've yet to play, in which case pardon my ignorance. Oh well, at least he gets killed by Loki (or Loki via proxy).

Moneal

As someone who isn't that into Norse mythology, that bit (Freya getting all worked up over the arrows) really didn't raise my eyebrows much, other than "we'll surely hear about this later on" - which we certainly did.

But after finishing the main story, I spent a fair bit googling the characters involved. And while the game plays a bit fast and loose with the mythology (and that's fine, it's a game, and it's not like there's a canonical version of the myths), I was kind of surprised that the reason Baldur was vulnerable to a mistletoe was just kind of brushed off. Perhaps explaining it wouldn't have worked narratively after the fight, but the actual myth is quite cool. Unless it gets explained in some side content I've yet to play, in which case pardon my ignorance. Oh well, at least he gets killed by Loki (or Loki via proxy).

yea don't think it is really explained, though they had a scene where mimir tries to remember but seemed to be bewitched into not being able to say what his vulnerability was. he did say he found out what it was but kept reverting back to "Baldur is invulnerable to all things physical and magical.", right before he could say what it was or why.

Codes 208

Funny thing is i remember back near the announcement people honestly believed atreus was loki from the start before we learned it was atreu. But it was still a really cool twist.

I still dont know the correlation here. I only know they had the power to break the spell on baldur

nowhat

yea don't think it is really explained, though they had a scene where mimir tries to remember but seemed to be bewitched into not being able to say what his vulnerability was. he did say he found out what it was but kept reverting back to "Baldur is invulnerable to all things physical and magical.", right before he could say what it was or why.
Yeah, that was funny (as were pretty much every exchange with Mimir, what an awesome character). But after the fight, he just comments very vaguely about the whole thing despite (I'm assuming?) having recovered his memory and/or ability to speak about it.

I still dont know the correlation here. I only know they had the power to break the spell on baldur
Here's the long version ("Norse Mythology for Smart People" - bah, what a pretentious site name), but as a TL;DR:

When Baldur began to have dreams of his death, Frigg went around to everything in the world and secured from each of them an oath to not harm her son. Confident in Baldur’s invincibility, the gods amused themselves by throwing weapons and any random thing they could find at Baldur and watching them bounce off of him, leaving him utterly unscathed.

Loki, the guileful trickster of the gods, sensed an opportunity for mischief. He inquired of Frigg whether she had overlooked anything whatsoever in her quest to obtain oaths. She casually answered that she had thought the mistletoe to be too small and harmless a thing to bother asking for such a promise. Loki straightaway made a spear from the mistletoe and convinced the blind god Hodr to throw it at Baldur. The projectile pierced the god, and he fell down dead.

Also note, that "officially" his mother was Frigg, not Freya. But then again, in some instances they are (at least thought to be) the same person. As said, there really is no canonical version of this stuff, or any mythology really.

Last edited:

Moneal

Funny thing is i remember back near the announcement people honestly believed atreus was loki from the start before we learned it was atreu. But it was still a really cool twist.

Was in the middle of writing out what wutnau just posted.

but seeing freya freak out over the arrows and knowing that only one thing can kill baldur, and who is responsible i made the connection.

Also note, that "officially" his mother was Frigg, not Freya. But then again, in some instances they are (at least thought to be) the same person. As said, there really is no canonical version of this stuff, or any mythology really.

Mimir even talks about that at one point. Atreus askes him about Frigg being baldur's mother. Mimir says that Frigg meant beloved and that was what odin called freya when they first married. As things deteriorated, he began to attribute all the good things about Freya to Frigg instead, as an insult to her.

Really just loved how they wove the mythology together so well and believably.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit

When I saw the mistletoe arrows, I was having a hard time remembering. I know Freya blessed someone with their only weakness being Mistletoe (as the god never asked the mistletoe for protection, if I remember correctly) and Loki tricked and killed that god. I couldn't remember if that was Baldur until it happened. When it did, I was thinking that Sindrig was actually Loki in disguise and the reason why the brothers didn't get along was because Loki was "playing" the parts of both, so they never appeared in the same area.

I loved the game as a whole, but the only thing that annoyed me was the lack of actual Norse gods. Sure, we get some such as Freya, Magni, Modi, and a short appearance by Thor - but I was hoping to visit Asgard at some point. The game was so good that I didn't even realize I had played it for 30 hours and had 90% completion. The last two games that did that for me were Persona 5 and Witcher 3.

What confused me was the different Pantheons. We know that you can travel between them as Tyr traveled to the Greek, Shinto, Egyptian, and Mayan realms, but do they exist on the same planet? Are they in different dimensions? Is it only the Norse who can travel between realms? Also what happened to the rest of the gods in the Greek Pantheon? We still had a few minor ones, and even a major player like Artemis who was unaccounted for. Did Athena do clean-up duty? How did Kratos reach the Norse pantheon? Was it just traveling to the country of origin, or did he somehow find a teleportation to reach them? So many questions, but hopefully they will be answered in future games.

I don't think they got that wrong. Either he has a bunch of other weapons in his basement he kept, but just chose that one. Or he ditched all his other weapons for whatever reason and only kept the Blades of Chaos for some sentimental reason.
But he lost the Blades of Chaos during the fight with Ares, so then Athena replaced them with her own version in the prologue section of the game where Kratos becomes the new God of War, which he used in Ghost of Sparta and 2, and then Athena replaced them with the Blades of Exile at the beginning of 3 when the Blades of Athena got depowered. So he would have to have tossed aside the Blades of Exile after 3, and then would have to go out of his way to hunt down the Blades of Chaos, only so he can hide them away and not use them since he murdered his original family with them.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I am hoping that one day we will be forced to go back to Greece (would love to see it on next-gen hardware), maybe we will go to Egypt once too if you guys remember seeing Tyr's painting there were multiple different symbols of different worlds including Greece and Egypt, not sure what the other 2 were.

The other two I believe were Shinto and Mayan (or Aztec, not fully sure but it is in that region), given the designs/architecture when you see the tapestry as you descend down on the elevator.

nowhat

Really just loved how they wove the mythology together so well and believably.
Oh yeah, they certainly did a very good job there. And it's not like you can be 100% literally correct with this kind of stuff, the more important thing is to get the feel of it. (sorry for the offtopic, but this is tangentially related) As an example my (as in Finnish, a bit ashamed to admit I don't know it that well either) national epic Kalevala was first published as a book in 1835, but the 1849 version is commonly known as the "complete" one. Is that the definite version of the folklore? Of course not. It was basically one guy just collecting a bunch of stories, told only verbally, and combining them into a (semi)coherent whole. But what the actual stories (or more like, variations of them) were - sadly no one knows anymore. People telling (or singing, rather) them no longer exist. So personally I'm up for all kinds of (re)interpretations, as long as the source matter is handled with respect. Which is what I think the game does.

Last edited:

Cleared_Hot

Everyone's mad Atreus got annoying. Hello, that was the whole point, how is that a negative? Besides didn't they discuss how he didn't even remember it?! So it wasn't even him...or... Maybe that was him being Loki.

Leocarian

Banned
Just killed the Valkyrie in Foothills without getting hit once. Will be putting up a video sometime tomorrow! Is it okay to post something fun like that here for those who enjoy good skill play? /feelsgoodman

Codes 208

Oh ok that makes sense now. Ty guys.

I kinda hope for shits and giggles the next game's OT is God of war 5 |ot| 2 the dark world since it looks like Thor may be the next main antagonist

Last edited:

RPGCrazied

Just beat it. Most memorable moment for me was the dragon in the mountain. And the Loki name drop for Atreus is interesting. I wonder if we can get some games with him as the main character killing gods.

Top Bottom