• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War Spoiler Thread

Psykodad

Banned
What's this about Thor at the end? I never got that ending :S but the ending I did get though while moving was a little light. I thought I would be kicking at least Thor's ass at the summit or something.
Revisit your house.

Kratos even says it after you've spread the ashes: let us go home.

Last edited:

CrowsHaven

Neo Member
Well in Norse mythology Thor was basically kratos before Kratos. Which gives me hope he'll be an OP fun as hell character in the sequel.
Actually the god of war in norse mythology is Odin,
Tyr if anything is like kratos

C(k)ratos is actually a real Greek god, the god of power and strength and father to goddess of victory, nike

CrowsHaven

Neo Member
What's this about Thor at the end? I never got that ending :S but the ending I did get though while moving was a little light. I thought I would be kicking at least Thor's ass at the summit or something.
I actually expected a boss fight at the summit
I expected thor to show up after you killed Modi(?)
but it was just his stupid brother

Bryank75

Banned
Nope, I feel exactly the same. This is coming from the biggest god of war fan, I even have 2 kratos tattoos ffs.

After the initial honey moon period has passed and replaying the game a second time, its evident this game got caught up with the media hype. All these 10/10 scores are justified for the first 3 hours of the game, then once you reach the middle point, the game just takes a nose dive in pacing and the flaws start becoming a lot more apparent.

Enemy variety is dreadful, fighting lava undead monsters is not satisfying, it doesn't help the fact that there is only 1 finishing move with each enemy and it gets repetitive real quick. The game needed more enemies that actually bleed and having blood spray as a visual feedback would of been a lot more satisfying.

the trolls are a joke and all have the exact same attack animations, and we literally fight them like 10 times throughout the game. Once I reached Hell I was shockingly dissapointed that we had to fight another reskined troll with the only difference being he can teleport and throw some orbs at you. It was extremely lazy design.

the side quests are all boring and feel completely pointless. The world feels dead and rather uninspired. Some npcs roaming around would of added a lot. Instead we get spirits that asks us to kill some mobs or fetch some bones with the only reward are some gem stones.

The lack of spectacle and boss fights is really disappointing and the game constantly hints at a grander story actually taking place but we actually never take place in it, we only hear about it. No encounters with Thor, odin, etc etc.

The game felt too grounded for its own good. It starts off with an epic battle with Bulder, then I was blown away by the cinematography and scale of the giant turtle at Freyas house, the game elevated to a new level once you see the first orge encounter and not to mention the awesome dragon battle. The pacing,urgency and relentlessness for the first couple of hours is truly excellent. The sights and feeling of seeings these fantastical characters and views gave you the feeling of mystique and buoyancy that was like watching a Peter Jackson movie. But unfortunately the game never really hits those highs again and just starts feeling like a drag.

The constant climbing and puzzles really drag the game down, enemy variety just sucks with the only fun enemies are the trolls and wolverines. The ending boss was fun to watch but I honsetly didn't expect the game to just end 5 minutes after that, and I also had no real incentive to go on this journey in the fucking first place, why? we never met his wife, we have no real emotional connection to her. If she had asked Kratos to throw her ashes at the highest point of all Asgard so it would prevent Ragnarok and we knew this at the start of the game then it would give me some incentive to actually do it. Imagine Frodo enduring absolute hell and agony he went through just to throw some ashes off a cliff....you get my point?

The twist and pay off why we had to actually throw the ashes was just underwhelming. The end game is dreadful, the mist and lava area is plagued with awful boring game design and I refused to replay those areas. I waited years for this game, as a god of war fan I felt like I needed to 100% this game so I can give it a honest review. I initally fell in love with it but once I let my feelings process and replay the entire game, I was let down.

Also, the combat actually would feel a lot better if we had more enemy variety that actually bleed. Look at bloodborne, I have finished that game 12 times due to how satisfying it is to see blood spray out of enemies with each swing.

I give god of war 7.5 out of 10.

Seems like you expect all pay out, all the time. Maybe you only played GOW3 but in GOW and GOW2 you fight very few gods... only Ares. Nothing will have a good payoff if the buildup isn't done with care. This installment was more about getting to know Kratos again and introduce his son and the setup... you're after something with far less depth and meaning.

ExpandKong

Banned
Seems like you expect all pay out, all the time. Maybe you only played GOW3 but in GOW and GOW2 you fight very few gods... only Ares. Nothing will have a good payoff if the buildup isn't done with care. This installment was more about getting to know Kratos again and introduce his son and the setup... you're after something with far less depth and meaning.

God of War was never really about depth or meaning though. It’s great that people love thing and it does legitimately have a few instances of the impressive spectacle that the series was previously known for. I just don’t get why everything has to be a Cinematic Feels Simulator nowadays. The whole thing feels a little silly after the last six games. Like with Halo 4 and 5 and how they decided to start making Master Chief more of an actual character. Is this necessary?

Bryank75

Banned
God of War was never really about depth or meaning though. It’s great that people love thing and it does legitimately have a few instances of the impressive spectacle that the series was previously known for. I just don’t get why everything has to be a Cinematic Feels Simulator nowadays. The whole thing feels a little silly after the last six games. Like with Halo 4 and 5 and how they decided to start making Master Chief more of an actual character. Is this necessary?

There was nowhere to go with the old format, Ascension is proof of that. GOW can have all the setpieces, scale and brutality but it can have depth too and I think it proved this, I didn't find it silly one bit. Because the exploration of character was done very organically by holding Kratos up to the mirror of a child and the scrutiny of an old wise head. The moments of levity were appropriate and natural too. "I'm going to cut your head off now" etc

Dibils2k

i'll be honest this new direction felt justified when the general gameplay was so much better and satisfying.... but having finished the game you see how little bosses there was... literally one dragon and 3 fights against same guy

so i would say fears were abit justified that this new style would effect scale in fights

Last edited:

CrowsHaven

Neo Member
i'll be honest this new direction felt justified when the general gameplay was so much better and satisfying.... but having finished the game you see how little bosses there was... literally one dragon and 3 fights against same guy

so i would say fears were abit justified that this new style would effect scale in fights

Don't forget the thousands of reskins of trolls.

Last edited:

Gtafans93

Actually the god of war in norse mythology is Odin,
Tyr if anything is like kratos

C(k)ratos is actually a real Greek god, the god of power and strength and father to goddess of victory, nike

Depends on what you read in some texts it's Odin in others it's TYR. But I meant in terms Of blood shed. Odin is crafty and sits on his throne and rarely fights until ragnarok. Thor however killed a wedding full of giants while in a dress.
Though I want to see Gungir in Action

CrowsHaven

Neo Member
Depends on what you read in some texts it's Odin in others it's TYR. But I meant in terms Of blood shed. Odin is crafty and sits on his throne and rarely fights until ragnarok. Thor however killed a wedding full of giants while in a dress.
Though I want to see Gungir in Action
I google "Norse God of war"
It comes up as Odin.
The god of poetry,war and something else.

Tyr is the god of justice.

Gtafans93

I google "Norse God of war"
It comes up as Odin.
The god of poetry,war and something else.

Tyr is the god of justice.

In the late Icelandic Eddas, Týr is portrayed, alternately, as the son of Odin (Prose Edda) or of Hymir (Poetic Edda), while the origins of his name and his possible relationship to Tuisto (see Tacitus' Germania) suggest he was once considered the father of the gods and head of the pantheon, since his name is ultimately cognate to that of *Dyeus (cf. Dyaus), the reconstructed chief deity in Indo-European religion. It is assumed that Tîwaz was overtaken in popularity and in authority by both Odin and Thor at some point during the Migration Age, as Odin shares his role as God of war.

Leocarian

Banned

Go back to wildwoods, go to Kratos's house and interact with the bed you'll get the Thor ending.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I remember googling God of War wallpapers a while ago and this image came up in a search. I wasn't sure where this came from. At first I thought it was a major spoiler. Kratos gets the Icarus wings and the blades of chaos in some crazy super powerful Titan mode. But we all know that this never happens. What is this photo from? Is it photoshopped by a fan?
IMG_4217.jpg

CrowsHaven

Neo Member
I remember googling God of War wallpapers a while ago and this image came up in a search. I wasn't sure where this came from. At first I thought it was a major spoiler. Kratos gets the Icarus wings and the blades of chaos in some crazy super powerful Titan mode. But we all know that this never happens. What is this photo from? Is it photoshopped by a fan?
IMG_4217.jpg

Icarus wings were in GOW3

A.Romero

I liked everything about this game, even the lack of fights with other gods. GOW3 was a closing chapter for a trilogy, I think we only got to fight Ares in the first one.

Gods were not the focus of the game per se, it was about Kratos developing the relationship with his son, everything else was a backdrop. If you set them vs the gods it would go against that concept.

I'm sure we will get a god overload in the next game now that Odin and Thor have an actual motivation to go against them (Baldur).

What left me wondering are the Valkiries, who cursed them or whatever? I've only beaten 3, there might be more information after beating the rest...

CrowsHaven

Neo Member
I liked everything about this game, even the lack of fights with other gods. GOW3 was a closing chapter for a trilogy, I think we only got to fight Ares in the first one.

Gods were not the focus of the game per se, it was about Kratos developing the relationship with his son, everything else was a backdrop. If you set them vs the gods it would go against that concept.

I'm sure we will get a god overload in the next game now that Odin and Thor have an actual motivation to go against them (Baldur).

What left me wondering are the Valkiries, who cursed them or whatever? I've only beaten 3, there might be more information after beating the rest...
I talked about the plot holes in my general discussion.

I too am angry about the valkeryie thing being left unfinished

Hotspurr

Banned
Finished it.

Highlights
- scene leading up to and getting the blades of chaos (more fun than axe)
- 1st balder fight (second was a Castlevania ripoff)

Pros and cons
+ Great graphics
+ Great acting and voice
+ Well written and interesting story overall
+ Good combat system with enough depth
+ RPG elements blended in well
- lack of interesting bosses
- repetitive enemies
- too many pointless "cinematic" moments (carrying an injured pig that has no relation to the story, really??)
- enemy levels/health bars break immersion for a game so heavily invested in cinematic feel
- story pacing is slow and boring at times

Overall I'd say 8.5-9. ending was meh. Story was good, but there are far better movies about these themes. I guess I'm in the "I just want good gameplay" camp instead of cinema. To me tomb raider, Castlevania and Darksiders do a better job in the gameplay department. So play those games if you enjoyed this one. I know some of my comments sound a bit negative, I'm just very surprised this game got a free pass on not doing anything new and doing the same things other games have done better.

Masatshi

you will get your answer when you beat the valkyrie-queen Sigrun! Good luck, thoughest fight in the whole game, cost me a lot of nerves this one LOL

CrowsHaven

Neo Member
Finished it.

Highlights

Pros and cons
+ Great graphics
+ Great acting and voice
- repetitive enemies
- too many pointless "cinematic" moments (carrying an injured pig that has no relation to the story, really??)
- enemy levels/health bars break immersion for a game so heavily invested in cinematic feel

Overall I'd say 8.5-9. ending was meh. Story was good, but there are far better movies about these themes. I guess I'm in the "I just want good gameplay" camp instead of cinema. To me tomb raider, Castlevania and Darksiders do a better job in the gameplay department. So play those games if you enjoyed this one. I know some of my comments sound a bit negative, I'm just very surprised this game got a free pass on not doing anything new and doing the same things other games have done better.

I don't understand why the deers glowed blue and the injured pig part was done to introduce freya
But still..I agree with all your points

Bryank75

Banned
Finished it.

Highlights

Pros and cons
+ Great graphics
+ Great acting and voice
- repetitive enemies

Postgame stuff is where you'll really feel the depth of the gameplay...you're just not pushed in the campaign.
I find as a parent the ending has a lot more weight, people before that stage might have a harder time connecting and therefore not get that payoff. I found it really emotive.

Kagero

Just finished the game and wow! For those disappointing in the end are clearly looking for something like an epic fight scene. I was as well, but I feel we got something with more emotion and resonance that's longer lasting. I'm still thinking about it. Did not see the twist at the end. I'm blown away and The entire last few hours were just one Holy F! Moment after the other. Opening the game up to different adventures spanning different mythologies is very bold but smart. Looks like they may be going the assassins creed route. I just hope they are able to maintain the heart and soul of what they created here. Brilliant.

CrowsHaven

Neo Member
Just finished the game and wow! For those disappointing in the end are clearly looking for something like an epic fight scene. I was as well, but I feel we got something with more emotion and resonance that's longer lasting. I'm still thinking about it. Did not see the twist at the end. I'm blown away and The entire last few hours were just one Holy F! Moment after the other. Opening the game up to different adventures spanning different mythologies is very bold but smart. Looks like they may be going the assassins creed route. I just hope they are able to maintain the heart and soul of what they created here. Brilliant.

If you ever played the other GOWs, you'd see why the ending is lacking.
GOW 1 had Kratos being saved and elevated to God status
GOW 2 had Kratos thrown into hades (?)
GOW 3 had The zeus killing
GOW COO had Kratos entering Elysium
GOW GOS had I can't remember :D

But my point is it was always the unexpected. The new GOW was tame and did just what he said he was going to do. There was no ACTUAL twist.
Unless you count the "let's go home" ending/teaser
Hence the disappointment.

Last edited:

Hotspurr

Banned

But my point is it was always the unexpected. The new GOW was tame and did just what he said he was going to do. There was no ACTUAL twist.

You sound like a fan. I can't even remember what happened in those games anymore but I remember having more "wow" moments. My only wow moments in this game was the 1st balder fight, where I was like "wow now it's really ramping up" (to be sadly disappointed). And the second was "holy crap blades of chaos" which immediately felt so.much better than the axe. It was almost like the game was saying "you know how we made you fight enemies individually with a close up camera and an axe this whole time, well now have some fun with these multi-enemy weapons with wild combos". Yeah I don't know. I hope the GoW team doesn't let the praise go to their head and bring back more of what made GoW awesome. I am looking forward to the sequel with Thor and whoever else. And maybe they'll let kartos tie the axe to a chain...

Last edited:

Psykodad

Banned

Why wouldn't you count the "let's go home"-ending?
It's the actual ending, hence the screen cutting to black and the credits rolling.

It seems a bit unfair to exclude that ending, when Kratos literally tells you to go home.

CrowsHaven

Neo Member
It's the actual ending, hence the screen cutting to black and the credits rolling.

It seems a bit unfair to exclude that ending, when Kratos literally tells you to go home.

Because most people turn the game off after they spread the ashes or when they get home.
They even consider it a secret ending.

After they spread the ashes they just screw about until they get 100% or get bored.
Or they trade the game in and whatnot. A lot of youtubers who recorded the game end it after the ashes.

Last edited:

Psykodad

Banned
Because most people turn the game off after they spread the ashes or when they get home.
They even consider it a secret ending.

After they spread the ashes they just screw about until they get 100% or get bored.
Or they trade the game in and whatnot. A lot of youtubers who recorded the game end it after the ashes.
That's the thing though, I think a lot of it has to do with engagement. If you're engaged in the story, you complete it and Kratos tells Atreus that they should head home, the most natural and logic reaction would be to actually head home. Even when the credits rolled while walking down the mountain, it seemed pretty clear that there would be something at their house.
So I'd argue that what they did with the ending was actually cleverly done.

Now when it comes to youtubers, the first and foremost reason for them to stream the game, is the money. Not saying that they might not be a fan of the franchise or weren't eagerly awaiting the game, but their primary objective is to entertain their viewers.
By doing so, they'd most likely share their initial reaction to the ending with thwir viewers straight away and overlook the fact that Kratos told them to go home.
Nothing wrong with that, but it would be an obvious reason as to why lots of youtubers might have quit the game there.

But that's just how I look at it. Nothing wrong with feeling let down by the ending, ofcourse.
It's not like I wasn't a lil bummed when I realized that Baldur was the final boss.

Hotspurr

Banned
That's the thing though, I think a lot of it has to do with engagement. If you're engaged in the story, you complete it and Kratos tells Atreus that they should head home, the most natural and logic reaction would be to actually head home. Even when the credits rolled while walking down the mountain, it seemed pretty clear that there would be something at their house.

Now when it comes to youtubers, the first and foremost reason for them to stream the game, is the money. Not saying that they might not be a fan of the franchise or weren't eagerly awaiting the game, but their primary objective is to entertain their viewers.
By doing so, they'd most likely share their initial reaction to the ending with thwir viewers straight away and overlook the fact that Kratos told them to go home.
Nothing wrong with that, but it would be an obvious reason as to why lots of youtubers might have quit the game there.

But that's just how I look at it. Nothing wrong with feeling let down by the ending, ofcourse.
It's not like I wasn't a lil bummed when I realized that Baldur was the final boss.

I totally missed the ending, and believe me I was looking for one. I walked down during the initial credits and then the game gave me a message like "okay go hunt some valkyris". I thought that was it. If the "true" ending was that important they should have done it differently as it is not hard to miss.

Psykodad

Banned
I totally missed the ending, and believe me I was looking for one. I walked down during the initial credits and then the game gave me a message like "okay go hunt some valkyris". I thought that was it. If the "true" ending was that important they should have done it differently as it is not hard to miss.
I don't know. All I know is that it was literally the very last thing said, right before you start descending the mountain and credits start rolling.
Can't really think of a more obvious way to let the player know there's a surpise, without spoiling it.

CrowsHaven

Neo Member

Several games have had similar endings. Red dead redemption is one,
Where after John is killed (spoiler)
And you play as jack, you can either screw about or actually go kill ross and end the game.

It's never told that you HAVE to go do it, just implied.

When they say "let's go home"
It could be a way of saying "let's rest now" or "it's over"
Not "let's go home and see the secret ending"
90% of people after spreading the ashes probably tried to 100% the game before actually going back home and seeing the ending.

Psykodad

Banned
Several games have had similar endings. Red dead redemption is one,
Where after John is killed (spoiler)
And you play as jack, you can either screw about or actually go kill ross and end the game.

It's never told that you HAVE to go do it, just implied.

When they say "let's go home"
It could be a way of saying "let's rest now" or "it's over"
Not "let's go home and see the secret ending"
90% of people after spreading the ashes probably tried to 100% the game before actually going back home and seeing the ending.
So, what's your point?

You excluded the Thor-ending, or rather "true" ending.
What you or others do that possibly results in missing out on that ending, is not a flaw within the game.
That's all I pointed out. It just doesn't make sense to me to state that the ending was underwhelming, "unless you include the real ending", when missing out on it is entirely on you getting distracted or not thinking anything of an obvious hint.

Last edited:

Kagero

The reveal that Atreus is Loki is pretty memorable to me. I seem to be the only one that feels this way so maybe I'm making this out to be more then it is lol. What ever. I don't care for the other GOW endings. To me those are made up where as this is more profound because it's a re interpretation of an already existing myth that we all are familiar with.

Hotspurr

Banned
I don't know. All I know is that it was literally the very last thing said, right before you start descending the mountain and credits start rolling.
Can't really think of a more obvious way to let the player know there's a surpise, without spoiling it.

Maybe if they actually put it as a quest and a marker that you are supposed to reach on your map? That would have done it without spoiling anything. A lot of people will think "let's go home" or whatever is just a logical thing for kratos to say and go do something else.

Even so, this discussion is pointless. In no way does having Thor at the end unexpected. It was fairly obvious that Thor and Odin are going to be after you after killing their kin. That will be the theme of the sequels, and should not come as a surprise to anyone. Also a games endong should tie up the story and give it meaning, scattering the ashes did that and finding out about the prophecy, not Thor showing up.

IMO better ways to end the game:

1) ashes are used to awaken the Giants, and you have to become their leader as Odin wages war

2) hint that atreus/loki is actually not Kratos' son and have him turn evil (that he is Odin son, which probably in the sequels it might be revealed that he is). Game could have ended with atreus stealing the ashes and you realizing they are needed to awaken the Giants. A big plus is no dealing with him in the sequel as your companion. Sequel could be about you fighting to get back the ashes from Thor to wage war on Odin with the help of the Giants .

3) Balder could have stolen Thor's hammer and faced off against you. Freya could also turn against you. This would have been much better than the repeat of fight one. You could have then introduced Thor who saves Freya and Balder and leaves with them.

I could literally pull 10 other endings out of thin air that are about as imaginative and interesting as how they ended it.

Last edited:

Psykodad

Banned
Maybe if they actually put it as a quest and a marker that you are supposed to reach on your map? That would have done it without spoiling anything. A lot of people will think "let's go home" or whatever is just a logical thing for kratos to say and go do something else.

Even so, this discussion is pointless. In no way does having Thor at the end unexpected. It was fairly obvious that Thor and Odin are going to be after you after killing their kin. That will be the theme of the sequels, and should not come as a surprise to anyone. Also a games endong should tie up the story and give it meaning, scattering the ashes did that and finding out about the prophecy, not Thor showing up.

1) ashes are used to awaken the Giants, and you have to become their leader as Odin wages war

2) hint that atreus/loki is actually not Kratos' son and have him turn evil (that he is Odin son, which probably in the sequels it might be revealed that he is). Game could have ended with atreus stealing the ashes and you realizing they are needed to awaken the Giants. A big plus is no dealing with him in the sequel as your companion. Sequel could be about you fighting to get back the ashes from Thor to wage war on Odin with the help of the Giants .

3) Balder could have stolen Thor's hammer and faced off against you. Freya could also turn against you. This would have been much better than the repeat of fight one. You could have then introduced Thor who saves Freya and Balder and leaves with them.

I could literally pull 10 other endings out of thin air that are about as imaginative and interesting as how they ended it.
Isn't it just as pointless to wish for the game to be something it isn't?

This is a soft-reboot for the series, where Kratos tries to come to peace with what he has done and who he is and to find redemption.
The ending as it is, is perfect in that context, while at the same time setting up the story for the sequel.

We know Thor will seek revenge for the death of his sons, we know Baldur's death will lead to Ragnarok, we know Loki will play a big part in what's to come.
Any of your suggestions might be a good alternative, but imo they would detract from the goal SSM had in mind (for this game anyway).

Cleared_Hot

Umm. I thought the Loki bit was a big enough reveal. Even though it was right there in our faces the whole time.

Neolombax

In my opinion, one of the overall themes of the game was to show a Kratos trying to live a different life, as someone who tries his best to stay away from the affairs of Gods. The whole game was about him trying to honor his wife's last wishes to scatter her ashes at the highest point of the world, and would do anything to do just that even if it means killing a few Gods on his way there. I think the ending was appropriate where it closed that loop, but it hints of Kratos being dragged into another war involving the Gods. This was also hinted by Athena (in his head at least) that Kratos could never be a different person, and that as long as he lives, he will never be able to distance himself from conflict. (which I think why the ending sequence with Thor was a surprise ending. Also I wondered when Kratos and Atreus would eventually be found by the Gods since the mark Freya granted to Kratos diminished during one of the story sequences)

I loved that the story was about Kratos eventually accepting that he can never shy away from being the God of War, but one which will continue to incite war but on his own terms now. If this is meant to be a start to another trilogy, then I think its a good prologue to make the players understand Kratos as a character first. I for one think this direction was essential to keep the GoW franchise going where it was going stale. The previous games had amazing action sequences, especially GoW3, but after a while it became just mindless violence.

I will agree that the action sequences in this game was mild compared to the bombastic battles of previous GoW games, but I enjoyed them nonetheless.

A.Romero

you will get your answer when you beat the valkyrie-queen Sigrun! Good luck, thoughest fight in the whole game, cost me a lot of nerves this one LOL

Good to know! I'm very much looking forward to these fights. I've beaten 4 so far. The first one was the most problematic... Can't remember the name but it's the only one so far that summons other enemies.

I'm not big on Souls games but I'm liking the challenge this game is presenting on normal difficulty. Just enough to keep me hooked without making myself doubt my sanity.

Ar¢tos

The game might be too "mature" for its target audience.
It's a cinematic/emotional experience, and spreading ashes of a loved one is something extremely intense, it is a True ending, a new beginning.
But most players fail to see that as an ending and just want to cut off Thor's and Odin's head.

Last edited:

Hotspurr

Banned
It's a cinematic/emotional experience, and spreading ashes of a loved one is something extremely intense, it is a True ending, a new beginning.
But most players fail to see that as an ending and just want to cut off Thor's and Odin's head.

I get that it was meant to be a cinematic/emotional experience, but it barely delivers on that front. Maybe it's because I've seen too many movies and read too many books that are far far better. I found some of the "acting" and writing in the game to be cheesy and downright laughable. Kartos is well realized, but other characters fall flat. Compared to uncharted 4 or last of us in terms of character development and acting this game was just meh. So for people like me who really couldn't care less about good acting or a super deep and emotional story in videogames, you just took a beloved action adventure franchise and turned it into god only knows what.

Bryank75

Banned
I get that it was meant to be a cinematic/emotional experience, but it barely delivers on that front. Maybe it's because I've seen too many movies and read too many books that are far far better. I found some of the "acting" and writing in the game to be cheesy and downright laughable. Kartos is well realized, but other characters fall flat. Compared to uncharted 4 or last of us in terms of character development and acting this game was just meh. So for people like me who really couldn't care less about good acting or a super deep and emotional story in videogames, you just took a beloved action adventure franchise and turned it into god only knows what.
Looking at the scores, YouTube videos and customer feedback... I'm afraid there are not too many other people that feel like you.

Kagero

Finally watched Infinity War and for
To be fair. GOW has always targeted a mature audience. It's just that it's made by a team that cares about story and emotional resonance. Old GOW's have been more about KILL KILL KILL PENIS PENIS PENIS KILL! Old GOW was amazing at the time but I'm getting older and it's clear that they want to move GOW in that direction as well. IMO, it's for the better.

Bryank75

Banned
And STILL! No one is blown away that Atreus is Loki. This revelation is HUGE! C'mon guys i'm not crazy right?
I thought that was awesome and the ending fight was spectacular with the frost giant bring reanimated and how it showed Atreus had become a little badass... Flying through the air shooting arrows and then calling jorgmandr to help was spectacular.

Kagero

I thought that was awesome and the ending fight was spectacular with the frost giant bring reanimated and how it showed Atreus had become a little badass... Flying through the air shooting arrows and then calling jorgmandr to help was spectacular.
Oh man! That whole last hour was so good! Goosebumps just thinking about it.

Harlock

Yeah. Good game, but not the 10/10 hype machine. A lot of similar bosses and enemies. The ending feel rushed. At some point they become aware that could not make the Asgard level and the fight against Thor in time.

Hotspurr

Banned
Looking at the scores, YouTube videos and customer feedback... I'm afraid there are not too many other people that feel like you.

Don't get me wrong. I would still give the game a great score, just thought the 10s we're overblown and when I tried it for myself I confirmed my suspicions. We all have different preferences and I'm glad so many people thought it was amazing. It seems this one comes down more to preference of cinematic games rather than objective innovation in gameplay, which is what I think developers need to get back to (eg. The souls formula is so innovative many studios adapted it for their games). When a game gets a 10 I expect a groundbreaking gameplay experience. What we got was a great execution of many different game genres in a single package, without too much risk taking or innovative gameplay. I think a lot of the risks in this game are around the father son relationship and the camera, which again is more to do with creating a memorable cinematic experience. For many GoW fans this will be different, but not necessarily the better kind of different if you ask me. Either way, I enjoyed my time with it.

Top Bottom