• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War Spoiler Thread

WaterAstro

In regard to the ending, it really felt like Journey's ending in some ways. I dig it. It even had an epic plot-twist reveal.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
And STILL! No one is blown away that Atreus is Loki. This revelation is HUGE! C'mon guys i'm not crazy right?
I have question about that. My knowledge on Norse mythology is very limiting but isn't the huge snake is one of the children of Loki? I'm guessing the developers change some things same they with Greek mythology for pervious games.

Moneal

I have question about that. My knowledge on Norse mythology is very limiting but isn't the huge snake is one of the children of Loki? I'm guessing the developers change some things same they with Greek mythology for pervious games.
Mimir mentions something about the world snake being knocked back in time when he fights/fought thor during ragnarok.

Danjin44

Mimir mentions something about the world snake being knocked back in time when he fights/fought thor during ragnarok.
Oh yeah, I remember that!!! Maybe thats why the snake listen to Atreus at last battle to fight that giant.

Last edited:

Moneal

Oh yeah, I remember that!!! Maybe why the snake listen to Atreus at last battle to fight that giant.

The snake even mentions recognizing Atreus when you first meet him, its in his language. Only know that because Cory Barlog mentioned it during a spoiler cast with kinda funny.

Danjin44

The snake even mentions recognizing Atreus when you first meet him, its in his language. Only know that because Cory Barlog mentioned it during a spoiler cast with kinda funny.
That pretty cool!!! To think that big ass snake was looking at his father's childhood this hold time. I guess that makes Kratos the grandfather of that giant snake.:)

Danjin44

I finally beat that queen Valkyrie and she was god damn tough. But as tough as that fight was, it still was waaaay less annoying than fighting the Valkyrie in Niflheim.

Edit: I was still able to beat all the Valkyries in "give me challenge" difficulty but I don't even want to think about how tough would they be in GOW mode.

Last edited:
Can anybody help I think I've come across a game breaker for 100% completion :-(

Trying to get A Legendary Chess in Mountain - After spending hours, I truly felt the game was broken so I had to research, much to my disappointment and thus believing the Chest is for the Hyperion Slam.

However, I can't get back up the mountain to get there because I've already been on the really long elevator in the room past where the Valkerie Eir is and the elevator is no longer there because its at the top.

Then I thought I'd come from the Summit side (via Mystic Gateway) and go down the mountain but I can't do that either because the Dragon I killed (just past Sindri's Shop) is in the way.

Anybody any ideas? Fucking gutted!!!

:-(

Danjin44

I'm curious. Which weapons you liked more? I really enjoyed the Axe but god damn nothing beats blade for me. This was also true with pervious GOW, I get some other weapons but I eventually go back using the blades.

Bryank75

Banned
I'm curious. Which weapons you liked more? I really enjoyed the Axe but god damn nothing beats blade for me. This was also true with pervious GOW, I get some other weapons but I eventually go back using the blades.
In normal combat I prefer blades but the Valkyrie fights made me appreciate the axe.

Has anyone realized that Kratos Omega GOW symbol has great significance? It is actually a variation or alteration of the ouroboros symbol which represents cyclicality... the fact that the serpent is not biting it's tail represents the cycle being broken. As Kratos says at the end of the game 'the cycle must end'.

Bryank75

Banned
I actually used the blades to beat all Valkyries, especially the grapple runic attack does nice amount of damage.

I wish there was a way to fight them again, I'd try that straight away. I used a mix for all but Sigrun but went just axe for her.

Danjin44

I wish there was a way to fight them again, I'd try that straight away. I used a mix for all but Sigrun but went just axe for her.
Yeah, I kind of wish GOW would did same thing as Xenoblade 2 did with its unique monsters. Once you beat them there would be tombstone in same place you beat them so can go there if you want to fight them again.

Danjin44

I'm stuck at the queen. Such a difficult fight even in normal difficulty...
The queen uses almost all the moves from other Valkyries, so if you have learned attack patterns from your fight with Valkyries then should able to avoid queen's attack pattern as well.

Here is some tips
- If want have easier fight wit her, be at level 7 that way you can parry some of her attacks.
- when she about to do flash attacks to blind you, it can be interrupted with Atreus.
- when she uses he wing shield you break that with your own shield by double taping L1 but beware if you try it too late she open her wings and you would take lot of damage.

I hope this helps.

Ar¢tos

I'm stuck at the queen. Such a difficult fight even in normal difficulty...
I beat her by keeping her in a constant stunlock.
I was lvl 7, but if you grind mist/fire area you can get to lvl 9 with the Shattered Gauntlet (because it has 3 enchantments slots).
Cursed Mist armor for max Runic and all the cooldown enchantments you can get.
Full Rage + Purple ressurection stone.
Axe runic attacks - Hel's Touch + Frost's Giant Frenzy (both maxed)
Other wep runic attacks - Rage of the Titans (ends with a stun) + Fires of Ares
Atreus runic summons - Murder of Crows or Boar Stampede (you need luck with this one).
Start the fight with full rage meter, do Hel's Touch, then Frost Giant Frenzy (don't forget to mash R2 for extra damage), quickly switch wep and do Rage of the Titans + Fire of Ares (mash R2 for 3 waves), use Atreus summon, switch to axe and repeat process (with good cooldown, you can keep doing this non-stop).
She sometimes manages to dodge mid Fire of Ares, so you will get hit sometimes. When your HP is half bar use rage and mash R1 on her, however, dodge the wing attacks or it will hinder the HP regen, repeat runic attacks and if you die, use the Ressurection stone and enter rage as soon as you revive, this second rage should be enough to kill her, otherwise do one more cycle of runic attacks.
The talisman skill is useless, but it's the only talisman with 3 slots for extra cooldown enchantments.
She never gets permafrost or burn, so dont waste slots with those enchantments, but Aura of Weakness will help.

Last edited:

Neolombax

That pretty cool!!! To think that big ass snake was looking at his father's childhood this hold time. I guess that makes Kratos the grandfather of that giant snake.:)

One of the more crazier theories out there was how Jormungandr is actually future Kratos.

A.Romero

The queen uses almost all the moves from other Valkyries, so if you have learned attack patterns from your fight with Valkyries then should able to avoid queen's attack pattern as well.

Here is some tips
- If want have easier fight wit her, be at level 7 that way you can parry some of her attacks.
- when she about to do flash attacks to blind you, it can be interrupted with Atreus.
- when she uses he wing shield you break that with your own shield by double taping L1 but beware if you try it too late she open her wings and you would take lot of damage.

I hope this helps.

Thanks for the tips. My character is level 7, I'm using the mist armor with 3 enchantments.

I'm familiar with the attacks at this point it's just that she has so much HP and any mistake will take half your HP.

I'll try your advice.

I was lvl 7, but if you grind mist/fire area you can get to lvl 9 with the Shattered Gauntlet (because it has 3 enchantments slots).
Atreus runic summons - Murder of Crows or Boar Stampede (you need luck with this one).
Start the fight with full rage meter, do Hel's Touch, then Frost Giant Frenzy (don't forget to mash R2 for extra damage), quickly switch wep and do Rage of the Titans + Fire of Ares (mash R2 for 3 waves), use Atreus summon, switch to axe and repeat process (with good cooldown, you can keep doing this non-stop).
She sometimes manages to dodge mid Fire of Ares, so you will get hit sometimes. When your HP is half bar use rage and mash R1 on her, however, dodge the wing attacks or it will hinder the HP regen, repeat runic attacks and if you die, use the Ressurection stone and enter rage as soon as you revive, this second rage should be enough to kill her, otherwise do one more cycle of runic attacks.
The talisman skill is useless, but it's the only talisman with 3 slots for extra cooldown enchantments.
She never gets permafrost or burn, so dont waste slots with those enchantments, but Aura of Weakness will help.

Thanks for the tips. I think I'll do the trials again see if I can reach level 9.

I'm using a different configuration of runic attacks and not using the blades at all so I'll definitely give it a try with your method.

Shang

so i just finished the game and that ending is so unfulfilling-- order 1886 levels of sequel bait. also sucks that the game seems to want to stretch itself out as long as possible in the third act, even though kratos and atreus' character arcs are basically done for a while by the end. still had a great time playing the game but felt really let down when it was finally over.

TimFL

There is another talisman with 3 slots, it allows you to slow down time drastically. That one is effectively a stun mode where you can get in 1-2 runic attacks without her damaging or dodging your attacks. I think the talisman is even level 8, called something like Talisman of time?
I believe I got it from one of the Valkyries.

So, took about a month to finish the game, playing 2 to 3 hours almost every day in that said amount of time. Didn't watch any review or any youtube guide, NOTHING! Tried my best to do most of the side stuff before finishing the main story and I arrived at the final fight with Baldur with everything maxed to level 8(armor, weapons, talisman), about 230000 XP after I unlocked everything lol and about 200000 currency. All the valkyries freed, Muspelheim challenges done even the "impossible" ones, lots of stuff unlocked in Nilfheim etc.
I gotta say this took my no 1 game of all time, I'm 38 and have been gaming for more than 25 years. It's just an incredible game, experience and journey. Made me fall in love with gaming all over again and felt like 12 yo for the entire month I've been playing this. Had a tad too much gaming fatigue lately and haven't felt this way for a long long time.
Anyone else played the game like I did or am I insane?

PS: played it on give me a challenge for anyone wondering, gonna do a run on the hardest dif also.

Last edited:

Tan0112

Banned
The game needed more boss battles and better boss death scenes.. Was hoping to fight Odin and Thor but the game sorta just builds up the storyline and just ends.. Oh well, I'm sure Odin and Thor will be in the next installment.

Last edited:

Ame

Was finally able to do this on GMGOW. Almost managed to do it without a resurrection stone until she nailed me right at the end.

Last edited:

Geki-D

Banned
So why was Kratos' big secret to Atreus that he killed Zeus who was a massive asshole, and why did that haunt him in Hel rather than that other thing that haunted him throughout the other games and started everything off. You know, the fact he killed his wife and daughter?

I get that patricide is more in the theme of the game, but it seems out of character for Kratos to put him killing Zeus over that. Also he never tells Atreus about that, so that awkward question is still to come.

DonF

Mimir: "Somebody just called the serpent"

Who blew the horn?
I have two unfounded theories.
1) Baldur.
2) We will know in God of War 2. why? cause there is time travel in this universe, the serpent is loki's son, who traveled back in time. So, in the sequel, in some part, we will have to go back in time, do something with the world serpent, and its going to be a cool reference.

nowhat

cause there is time travel in this universe, the serpent is loki's son, who traveled back in time. So, in the sequel, in some part, we will have to go back in time, do something with the world serpent, and its going to be a cool reference
This is one thing that bothered me a bit in the story (as far as nitpicking is concerned - generally I felt the story was well executed, I liked that the premise and ultimate outcome was very simple, while leading to quite complicated events). And I don't mind the game playing fast and loose with the mythology, I think that was given (and besides, mythology is often in itself self-contradictory).

Not the fact that the world serpent is Loki's son. Obviously it would recognize Loki. But how would Mimir know the origin of the serpent? Is he able to see the future too?

DonF

This is one thing that bothered me a bit in the story (as far as nitpicking is concerned - generally I felt the story was well executed, I liked that the premise and ultimate outcome was very simple, while leading to quite complicated events). And I don't mind the game playing fast and loose with the mythology, I think that was given (and besides, mythology is often in itself self-contradictory).

Not the fact that the world serpent is Loki's son. Obviously it would recognize Loki. But how would Mimir know the origin of the serpent? Is he able to see the future too?
I know nothing of the mythology, so I'm just answering by memory from the game. Mimir was super smart, he could even talk with the serpent, So I assumed that Mimir knew when THAT BIG FUCKING SERPENT appeared in the world, somehow communicated with it and the myth was that, since it just appeared it traveled in time.

Top Bottom