• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Golden Eagle Snatches Kid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Fork

That's so fucking scary, jesus. I can't laugh at that what if it managed to get a few feet higher the baby could've fell on his head.

Angry Fork

I feel so bad for the baby I don't know how anyone can laugh, what if the claws punctured it's body or something? I don't have a kid but I reacted as if I did, imagine how helpless you'd feel as a parent if it just kept going. Terrifying.

Maybe he just wanted to show him the world.
ican-show-you-the-world-fish-eagle.jpg

Uhm, pretty sure it's fake. The way the guy talks doesn't sound really sincere, and why did he waited many weeks (months?) before putting the vid online? It's already winter here in Montreal.

Maybe viral marketing? There was something like that a few years ago for a new ride at the local Six Flags.

Mumei

Harpy eagles are far superior.

What silliness.

Oh, sure, they have larger talons and wild individuals are marginally larger (though Berkut eagles bred for falconry are of comparable or even slightly larger size) but were they ever used to help hunt wolves? Do harpy eagles have anything close to the same adaptability and geographic distribution? Are harpy eagles nearly as spectacular fliers? Will you ever see harpy eagles doing this? Do multiple countries use harpy eagles as their national animal? Is there an association with royalty and divinity in South American culture for harpy eagles the way there is for the golden eagle in Europe, Asia, and the Middle East? Is the harpy eagle widely considered by ornithologists to be the most highly evolved bird of prey [according to this one book I was conveniently flipping through at the library today]?

Nope.

cluto

Uhm, pretty sure it's fake. The way the guy talks doesn't sound really sincere, and why did he waited many weeks (months?) before putting the vid online? It's already winter here in Montreal.

Maybe viral marketing? There was something like that a few years ago for a new ride at the local Six Flags.

I can't tell if 95% of this thread is trolling me, or if they actually think this is real.

Magni

Insanely well done fake then, look at the shadows on the replay.

I can't tell if 95% of this thread is trolling me, or if they actually think this is real.

It's real.

Mike M

Nick N
What silliness.

Oh, sure, they have larger talons and wild individuals are marginally larger (though Berkut eagles bred for falconry are of comparable or even slightly larger size) but were they ever used to help hunt wolves? Do harpy eagles have anything close to the same adaptability and geographic distribution? Are harpy eagles nearly as spectacular fliers? Will you ever see harpy eagles doing this? Do multiple countries use harpy eagles as their national animal? Is there an association with royalty and divinity in South American culture for harpy eagles the way there is for the golden eagle in Europe, Asia, and the Middle East? Is the harpy eagle widely considered by ornithologists to be the most highly evolved bird of prey [according to this one book I was conveniently flipping through at the library today]?

Nope.

So because golden eagles are widespread gutter trash raptors that are popular with the masses, they're superior to the more exclusive, untamable harpy eagle?

I think not.

Harpy eagles are the distinguished choice for discerning people. People who lounge about in smoking jackets in oak paneled rooms lit by the fireplace while swirling snifters of brandy talking at length about how mother fucking cool it is when harpy eagles snatch monkeys out of the branches of the South American rainforests like no one's business.

Mumei

So because golden eagles are widespread gutter trash raptors that are popular with the masses, they're superior to the more exclusive, untamable harpy eagle?

I think not.

Harpy eagles are the distinguished choice for discerning people. People who lounge about in smoking jackets in oak paneled rooms lit by the fireplace while swirling snifters of brandy talking at length about how mother fucking cool it is when harpy eagles snatch monkeys out of the branches of the South American rainforests like no one's business.

Going with the indie arguments, eh? And untameable? Strange...

9bDfu.jpg

PdWxr.jpg

W4O1e.jpg

They do look awesome, I'll give you that

Mike M

Nick N
Going with the indie arguments, eh? And untameable? Strange...

*Superior eagle pics*

They do look awesome, I'll give you that

Acclimated to being handled is not the same thing as being tame. Just try and teach one of these guys to hunt a wolf, they will scoff at you before flying off with your god damned car to drop it off a cliff. Golden eagles, so eager to please, that look in their eye of a species that have had all cunning and wit bred right out of them...

My high school mascot was the golden eagle, all raptorial birds are pretty awesome.

Raistlin

Golden eagles are the best eagles. Bar none.

They can't actually carry goats; those videos only show the eagle dragging the goat off a cliff and then basically dropping it. Ascending into the air and carrying it is something different; even a huge Berkut couldn't carry something much larger than 8 pounds.

Though they are certainly capable of killing much larger things and eating them on the spot. No need to fly away when you've got talons like that.
Watch the video all the way through. Did a bit more than that

Thank goodness someone remembered this.

I came into the thread thinking "if someone hasn't posted a picture of the rescuers down under..." Just rewatched it on netflix this past weekend because johntheboss had never seen it.

Really glad the kid is okay, could've ended terribly.

Mumei

Watch the video all the way through. Did a bit more than that

Which video? I did watch the entirety of the OP video.

Acclimated to being handled is not the same thing as being tame. Just try and teach one of these guys to hunt a wolf, they will scoff at you before flying off with your god damned car to drop it off a cliff. Golden eagles, so eager to please, that look in their eye of a species that have had all cunning and wit bred right out of them...

My high school mascot was the golden eagle, all raptorial birds are pretty awesome.

:D

Speaking of golden eagle falconry, I recently read Bird of Jove, which is this book published in 1971 about a man (Sam Barnes) who traveled to the Ukraine and managed to bring back a Berkut golden eagle bred for the purpose of hunting wolves out there. He had the goal of raising it in the manner where the bird would fly with him because she wanted to, contrasting with the methods of the nomads who essentially kept the birds half-starved all the time to ensure that they would fly at whatever they were aimed at, so to speak. There was also a lot of special interest stuff about how golden eagles were widely considered impossible in practice to actually use in falconry - the men whom he got the eagle from expected that it would be impossible to raise a golden eagle otherwise and whatnot.

It is a rather noticeably romanticized account, but reading about Sam and Atalanta's developing relationship still brought back a lot of my childhood fanboyism. ;)

Mike M

Nick N
Which video? I did watch the entirety of the OP video.

:D

Speaking of golden eagle falconry, I recently read Bird of Jove, which is this book published in 1971 about a man (Sam Barnes) who traveled to the Ukraine and managed to bring back a Berkut golden eagle bred for the purpose of hunting wolves out there. He had the goal of raising it in the manner where the bird would fly with him because she wanted to, contrasting with the methods of the nomads who essentially kept the birds half-starved all the time to ensure that they would fly at whatever they were aimed at, so to speak. There was also a lot of special interest stuff about how golden eagles were widely considered impossible in practice to actually use in falconry - the men whom he got the eagle from expected that it would be impossible to raise a golden eagle otherwise and whatnot.

It is a rather noticeably romanticized account, but reading about Sam and Atalanta's developing relationship still brought back a lot of my childhood fanboyism. ;)

Yeah, I will concede I don't know of any good books detailing the relationship between a man and his harpy eagle.

Maybe I'll write one and just make it all up.

mavs

It's just a slowed down zoomed in version whats fake about it?

The way the baby moves against the background after the birds talons lose contact doesn't make sense.

Also the way the bird takes off doesn't look right if you compare it to something like this, or that video of the eagles fucking up those goats.

The way the kid gets picked up doesn't look right either, both the eagles legs and the way the kid folds, but that part is a pretty damn good fake anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom