• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Golf Story |OT| Return to Camelot

BizzyBum

Putting points into power will cause your other stats to decrease so you can put more points beyond 'max' to keep that from happening. It's a weird system to be sure and could be explained/telegraphed better but I'm not sure it's technically a bug.

Ah, okay. So to be sure I want purity, ability, and spin to be in the middle with strike being maxed and continue to pump points into power while doing so?

Looks like I encountered an game breaking bug. Had to hit an area from specific spot. Laid down a ball and accidentally kicked it out of the spot. Now I can't finish the quest, even after a restart it doesn't recognize successful hits... And it's a main quest :/ anyone encountered this?

I am four hours in, the quest is the one where you have to hit the bird eggs back to the cheeky birds

Oreoleo

Ah, okay. So to be sure I want purity, ability, and spin to be in the middle with strike being maxed and continue to pump points into power while doing so?

That's what I ended up doing, yeah. You won't be able to max out power by the end game doing this, just as a note (but you come close). And you could probably make an argument for having the other stats above/below mid based on your play style or if you wanted to play the game with a different "build" but keeping those stats in the middle seems to be, for lack of a better word, the default way to spread out stats.

Cerium

Looks like I encountered an game breaking bug. Had to hit an area from specific spot. Laid down a ball and accidentally kicked it out of the spot. Now I can't finish the quest, even after a restart it doesn't recognize successful hits... And it's a main quest :/ anyone encountered this?

I am four hours in, the quest is the one where you have to hit the bird eggs back to the cheeky birds

You're probably hitting the wrong spot. If it's the red one, look far to the right side.

Bumping this because I’m an idiot and I need help.

So I'm struggling like mad with the three-quarter swing. I cannot progress from the enforced tutorial without nailing the shot, but try as I might, I cannot seem to give the game the three-quarters it's looking for.

I'm sure I'll feel stupid once I figure out how to do this, but I just quit in frustration after countless botched attempts. Has anyone else had this problem?

Um. Where exactly are you in the game?

R5sfaWS.jpg

Calamari41

41 > 38
Seriously I don't know if any of you ever play at "old guy" courses but Tidy Park absolutely nailed it in every way. Especially the whole "I may not be long but I'm always on the fairway" followed by a skulled drive into the rough in front of the tee box.

Funny that
Lara on Oak Manor was way harder than the coach's son which was a breeze. Had to restart on her match like 5 or 6 times due to poor starts. She's pretty terrible after the first couple of holes, though. Especially on the the 9th she's spectacularly bad LOL. Really gotta be conservative on that course with all those damn pumpkins everywhere.

Kinda sad that I'm almost at the end of this game. An absolutely incredible experience. What a game. Makes me really happy to own a Switch when before Golf Story I was having second thoughts. More of these please. I hope these guys can keep creating gems like this for the system.

BTA

On course 7. A few things.

1. Is there a secret hole in the top left? I double tapped A on the top left fire to get out of being on it and it suddenly credited me as having found one.

2. fuck that chip in challenge

3. Oh my god was the flashback scene ever glitchy. First the scene went right back to the guy telling it, then suddenly cut to black, then suddenly cut to the actual flashback scene except the player character was still standing in the same relative position on the screen, then he suddenly disappeared and the scene started.

Only the last tournament to go here after destroying that easy Tidy match. Really don't wanna play it...Putting it off for now. Plenty of side stuff to finish up and level up a couple more times.

depward

I finished this today.

I loved it. Like, one of the best games I've played this year.

Such smart HD rumble implementation. Clever writing. Fun golfing.

I finished this today.

I loved it. Like, one of the best games I've played this year.

Such smart HD rumble implementation. Clever writing. Fun golfing.

I just finished it right now as well. One of my favorite games I've played in years.

Had a -4 going into 9th and triple bogied cuz of that thin ass island you have to land on...water ;[
Finished -1 and was enough to win the final course barely.

Definitely had to step my focus up big time to have that -4, though. This game is a nice but not overwhelming challenge.

What does the moving meter represent when you press to initiate a swing. Like it moves to the left and you press the button and it goes back right.
What am I aiming for here? Always in the little diamond?
I'm a golf game noob.

Cerium

What does the moving meter represent when you press to initiate a swing. Like it moves to the left and you press the button and it goes back right.
What am I aiming for here? Always in the little diamond?
I'm a gold game noob.

Your first marker determines distance. So putting it all the way at the very left will be a full power shot. Note that you might not always want a full power shot.

Your second marker determines accuracy. You want that one right in the little diamond.

Think I'll replay it and go for 100% missions completed this time. I finished the game at level 29. Saw where other people were well into the 30's when they finished.

Also, just wondering aloud to any pros out there...

I kind of ignored my driving for most part (ended around 245 or so) and went more for the accuracy stats (spin being the least important for me and the others being maxed out) in my first play through. Do any of you guys that are awesome have any stat tips?

Cerium

Also, just wondering aloud to any pros out there...

I kind of ignored my driving for most part (ended around 245 or so) and went more for the accuracy stats (spin being the least important for me and the others being maxed out) in my first play through. Do any of you guys that are awesome have any stat tips?

I kept my other stats right in the middle and put the rest in power. If you happen to level up the other stats beyond max (not saying you did this) you will lose those points, they're just wasted.

I kept my other stats right in the middle and put the rest in power. If you happen to level up the other stats beyond max (not saying you did this) you will lose those points, they're just wasted.

Yea I learned that early on and didn't waste too many points on that luckily. Super weird implementation there.

The lack of a huge drive really hurts you only at end of game I think. Those are some huge par 4's and 5's at end.

Guess I could've used the distance on
Oak Manor against Lara as well. Anything to avoid those Godforsaken pumpkins.

rje

Just finished the game tonight and absolutely adored it - characters were great and enjoyed the course variety.

Can't believe I didn't notice until the end of the game that (world map spoiler)
the map is in the shape of Australia

Have a few side quests to go and clean up, and then I need to find more more small switch game (picross?) to hold me over until mario launches

Cerium

Have a few side quests to go and clean up, and then I need to find more more small switch game (picross?) to hold me over until mario launches

Steamworld Dig 2 and Stardew Valley are worth a look.

Oxenfree if you can deal with long ass load times.

shaneo632

I think I'm on the last tournament now but holy shit this is hard. I admittedly do suck but the best I've done so far is +9.

Something I can't figure out is that when I look at lets plays, other people have their swing lines going straight, but mine is curved which causes the trajectory to be different. No idea how to fix it.

Edit: Managed +8. This is goddamn impossible. Might have to watch the end of the game on YouTube.

BTA

I think I'm on the last tournament now but holy shit this is hard. I admittedly do suck but the best I've done so far is +9.

Something I can't figure out is that when I look at lets plays, other people have their swing lines going straight, but mine is curved which causes the trajectory to be different. No idea how to fix it.

Edit: Managed +8. This is goddamn impossible. Might have to watch the end of the game on YouTube.

Did you put too much points into one of the stats? The one about aiming straight should be neutral rather than increased because going above neutral just skews it the other direction.

What clubs are you using?

mindatlarge

Maybe you're noticing them shaping their shots? That little red dot on the ball which is located on the UI can be moved to hit the ball on a different location which can change your shots arc and such. The game calls this "Hit Point" mode and can be accessed by pressing the "X" button. Using your
focus/power/tee
meter on that last course can also be a life saver, which you could probably get through most of the game without using at all, until the last course.

Top Bottom