• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Golf Story |OT| Return to Camelot

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
I'm getting a switch later this month when Mario comes out. Got a few quick questions.

Is this a great golf game in an old school sense?

Any mini golf style courses?

Fun good story?

Good RPG?

Zomba13

I'm getting a switch later this month when Mario comes out. Got a few quick questions.

Fun good story?

Good RPG?

Like already answered I'd say yes. The weakest part regarding the golf is the putting because apart from the indicator in the corner telling you the slope you can't really tell by looking at the green, which just makes making longer putts harder than they need to be. Other than that I think the golfing is great in a casual 2D old school style.

Cerium

And a follow up question. Any word from sidebar regarding the patch? Once that drops I'm for sure getting golf story.

We know it was submitted last week, the rest is up to Nintendo. Other patches have taken up to two weeks from submission to release, I think, but I don't think there's a hard and fast predictable pattern.

bart64

Banned

Fun good story?

Good RPG?
The golf is really solid mechanics wise and it's definitely old school. You can tell the developers love and understand golf as well as 16bit games. Only thing that brought it down for me is little glitches along the edges of traps where the a ball would appear to be, for example, in the rough but would be called a bunker shot when the bunker is several pixels away.

There is one mini golf course but I didn't find it very engaging. The putting is not very precise, which for me was a nice change of pace but it may seem too simple to some. In case you played it before its a lot like NES golf.

The story is awesome, especially if you're a golfer. Lots of funny lines and situtations. Never thought I would see cavemen and zombies in a golf game.

There are some light RPG elements when it comes to setting up your stats. Comes down to deciding between power and a few attributes like aim and spin. There are some special clubs you must buy which have some interesting abilities and are woven into the story.

Calamari41

41 > 38
I think I'm on the last tournament now but holy shit this is hard. I admittedly do suck but the best I've done so far is +9.

Something I can't figure out is that when I look at lets plays, other people have their swing lines going straight, but mine is curved which causes the trajectory to be different. No idea how to fix it.

Edit: Managed +8. This is goddamn impossible. Might have to watch the end of the game on YouTube.

Don't try again until you complete all of the challenge quests (chipping, putting, etc) on the last course's clubhouse area. Once you master those, you'll be ready to shave those 8 strokes off of your game.

Finished it off today. What a wonderful, zany experience. Didn't know the game existed a month ago, took a punt on an unknown developer and had an absolute blast.

If you have a Switch, you owe it to yourself to buy this game.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
I just got to the 3rd world, where it is super windy. Wow. What a difficulty ramp up. I couldn’t pass the first two challenges after a few tries. Is the whole course like this? Did everyone else struggle too and I need to just get better?

I thought th game was borderline too easy up until this point.

Griss

Played with my dad this morning and shot 81 - that's 2 better than my personal best. All I needed was a par on the last to break 80 for the first time ever! But I doubled. Damn, that hurt.

So to celebrate I just bought Golf Story. Honestly I'm in love already. Everything about this game is incredible so far - the visuals, the way dialogue works, the writing, the feel of the golf, and how authentically 'golf-y' it all feels.

I just have one question. I've levelled up twice, and both times I added some points to things I didn't want to just see what they'd do. But no matter how much I press 'reduce power' I couldn't undo those spent points. How do I reset my stats? Because I refuse to play with a slice, which is what I've got because I added 5 points to that.

I do like that adding points to distance seems like a very minor gain - important as distance is such a huge deal in golf.

You can only reduce power. Odd, I know.

However, as you add to power your other stats will drop back down. You'll be back to "normal" in a couple of level ups.

Griss

You can only reduce power. Odd, I know.

However, as you add to power your other stats will drop back down. You'll be back to "normal" in a couple of level ups.

Man, that sucks, and makes me want to restart the game. I think I added all 10 points to purity in the end. Shit.

It almost always works that skill points aren't 'set' until you press 'confirm' in a game like this, so I'm really surprised.

Need help with a quest involving clubs

How do I get the vintage driver? Took a break from the game and now I'm really confused about what to do

Koobion

Any word on when the patch will be out to fix the game breaking bug where your character becomes really small and you can't do anything?

I really hope the patch can fix files that have it, rather than just prevent it from occurring, otherwise I gotta start over :(

Man, that sucks, and makes me want to restart the game. I think I added all 10 points to purity in the end. Shit.

It almost always works that skill points aren't 'set' until you press 'confirm' in a game like this, so I'm really surprised.

All the other skill categories will regress as you put more points into power. I think I finished the game near level 30 so two levels isn't that big a deal I think. Just don't touch Purity for a while as you level up Power and tweak the other skills to keep them balanced.

How do I get the vintage driver? Took a break from the game and now I'm really confused about what to do

There's a long quest involving Oak Manor.

Apologies if this has been asked before, but the thread search function seems to be messed up for me.

What's the framerate like? I ask because the footage from the trailer (on the Switch eshop), and a few random YouTube clips show a bunch of judder. I'm hoping that's just bad video encoding, and it's actually a locked 60fps...

mindatlarge

If you want more detailed instructions in case you've already completed
Oak Manor
:
After you complete the Oak Manor Course, the ghost will appear once again. You will automatically follow it to its grave, where it will tell you to dig up the manor key. Dig in that spot and open the chest to receive the Mansion Key. With it, go to the manor and head inside. Open the boxes inside, one of them contains the Vintage Woods.

ZeroX03

Banned
Finally beat the game. That ending was kind of underwhelming. It just kind of ends, it doesn’t really build to a climax or wrap up all the storylines too tightly. The final camera pull was a great moment though. Also never noticed these supposed difficulty spikes. It was reasonably easy throughout the game. Especially as finishing under par was enough to win anything.

Overall still a great experience.

Ran into an issue where the game froze for a couple seconds, and then the ball got stuck for about 30 seconds. Both instances I thought I loss my progress but they resolved themselves.

Awesome game, between this and Stardew Valley, my Switch has seen a resurgence in use.

Without spoilers, about how much longer do I have in the game? Based on story/map I'd guess I'm in the last 1/3 but based on inventory I'm thinking I might actually be just in the first 1/3

About to start playing at Tidy Park

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
Without spoilers, about how much longer do I have in the game? Based on story/map I'd guess I'm in the last 1/3 but based on inventory I'm thinking I might actually be just in the first 1/3

About to start playing at Tidy Park

Basically all falls into place shortly after that. Makes sure you're as high a level as possible. Some of the last tournaments can be brutal.

I don't know whether I laughed or groaned at the credits when
the camera panned out and the "overworld" is in the shape of Austrailia. The snow course being furthest south did click though.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
I had an Australian at my apartment with a few hours to kill. Got her to make some sausage rolls for me.

I understand now, guys.

BTA

That final tournament’s no joke after all, huh. Admittedly I’m not very focused on it right now (was mainly focusing on something else but wanted to try it before sleeping during breaks in that) but I got a +9 and a +5. It sucks because I got par on the first 4 or so holes during that second time but slight bounces into the water and just barely missing putts ruined a few holes for me.

Fun good story?

Good RPG?

1. Maybe- I’d say yes but don’t have the experience to judge, I guess? Beyond the few times the game glitched and told me I landed in a bunker or water (the latter of which happened twice and I think was in a consistent part of a course...) when I was on solid ground, the golf mechanics seemed solid and enjoyable. They’re not explained very well, though.

2. There’s a single course (and then some putting challenges here and there) though I did find it enjoyable.

3. Eh. It’s funny at times, but I haven’t found it nearly as charming or hilarious as some people in this thread seem to? And I love goofy charming games; this just didn’t really do it for me, particularly as some of the storylines rubbed me the wrong way, and the charm didn’t seem particularly kind or sincere. I also wouldn’t call the story “good” since it’s largely there just to get you between courses.

4. Not really? You get new equipment (well, clubs) but a lot of it felt largely like it always directly replaced the old stuff and there’s not a ton of it. You have stats but most of them actually should be kept balanced rather than upgraded beyond a neutral point, particularly as upgrading power moves how many points they need up be neutral up. There’s quests, but they’re fairly simplistic.

legend166

I feel like people are misunderstanding the stats completely. The only thing you should keep neutral is whether you have a slice or hook. Everything else you want to increase.

Insaniac

Finished the game. Is there a harder mode or anything? Also, what is available for me to do after I beat the game?

Anyways, here's a couple pics of my best games. Overall I found the game to be fairly easy. Honestly I avoided putting as often as I could and found chipping much easier.

Edit: Lara best NPC. So adorable. Also, the only one I almost lost to

DMPtJNDVQAALTt1.jpg

DMPtO2HUMAAHtP6.jpg

BTA

I feel like people are misunderstanding the stats completely. The only thing you should keep neutral is whether you have a slice or hook. Everything else you want to increase.

Is anything else actually worth losing power for, though?

I’m legitimately asking that; the game didn’t make it clear at all.

Is anything else actually worth losing power for, though?

I’m legitimately asking that; the game didn’t make it clear at all.

It depends on your playstyle I suppose. I increased all the stats evenly while keeping a pure swing and had more than enough power throughout the game.

Yeah, chipping with the shortest approach shot kind of breaks putting.

Once I got my bearings with the fairly unwieldy controls early on, I didn’t have much trouble with anything. The Blue Dunes match plays and tournament were certainly a step up but I still had a -5 going into the last hole in the tournament (where I triple bogeyed :/).

The game seems to have a lot of features and mechanics (special shots, tee anywhere, etc) that doesn’t get much use. Even the stats besides power—I had everything flat and never really needed extra backspin or topspin to compensate for anything, nor were slight slices or hooks a big deal for accuracy.

Seems like they could take the same system and make a much bigger game out of it.

Apologies if this has been asked before, but the thread search function seems to be messed up for me.

What's the framerate like? I ask because the footage from the trailer (on the Switch eshop), and a few random YouTube clips show a bunch of judder. I'm hoping that's just bad video encoding, and it's actually a locked 60fps...
Mostly locked 60fps but there are very occasional hitches during ball flight. Probably because it's made in Unity. But nothing that gets in the way of controls or gameplay in my experience.

Stat!

I am loving this game. Its one of the few few games to make me genuinely laugh out loud.

I do hope some of the bugs get fixed but if they released a Golf Story 2 tomorrow, I'd buy the heck out of it!

Might be my GOTY. Loving it that much!

rudger

Had a thought about leveling up. It looks like the other stats can only go down so far. Would it be a viable option to max out power first and only then add points to the other skills? If playable, this would seem the most efficient use of points.

BTA

Doing that would make things more difficult for yourself due to those stats that are lower changing your shot characteristics.

Yeah, unless I’m mistaken you’d have shots that skewed pretty far to one side while also having a very hard time nailing the center of the aiming part of hitting the ball, so that doesn’t seem too viable.

rudger

Doing that would make things more difficult for yourself due to those stats that are lower changing your shot characteristics.

Of course it would be more difficult, but it might also mean that you can start improving your base stats without worry of them going down after only a few levels. So it would tough in the beginning, but then slowly get much much better. Otherwise, it would mean there is a set up you can get yourself in where you can no longer progress in the game cause your stats are too messed up.

Anyways, I’ve piqued my own interest. I might start a new game tonight and see where this type of run will go. How many levels until Power is maxed and how long to get your other stats neutral after that.

BTA

Of course it would be more difficult, but it might also mean that you can start improving your base stats without worry of them going down after only a few levels. So it would tough in the beginning, but then slowly get much much better. Otherwise, it would mean there is a set up you can get yourself in where you can no longer progress in the game cause your stats are too messed up.

Anyways, I’ve piqued my own interest. I might start a new game tonight and see where this type of run will go. How many levels until Power is maxed and how long to get your other stats neutral after that.

I mean, if you know enough about the stats to attempt this to begin with, I feel like you probably know enough to not get in a position where your stats are too messed up?

Maybe the better strategy would just be “always dump all the points you get into power, then immediately remove some as needed to balance things out”? Hmm.

rudger

I mean, if you know enough about the stats to attempt this to begin with, I feel like you probably know enough to not get in a position where your stats are too messed up?

Maybe the better strategy would just be “always dump all the points you get into power, then immediately remove some as needed to balance things out”? Hmm.

When you reduce power, does it give you back two points or just one? Cause increasing power by one can lead to multiple stats decreasing. I thought it gave back only one so I kind of scared myself out of using the reduce power feature. But you’re right that the stats can’t ever be too messed up as you can reduce and more evenly distribute if desperate.

This seems like a lot of overthinking for the stats. A 1 or 2 degree draw isn’t going to affect your shots much, nor -2 or 3% accuracy, control, etc. I just put points primarily into power and nudged the others back to center every few levels. You’d have to be pretty shit at lining up dots to need a ton of extra accuracy points.

Top Bottom