• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Good Job Bioware, you reviewed your own game on metacritic and gave it a 10

[Nintex]

Looking at the difference between the user score and the metacritic score Capcom's goal to get 90+ metacritic with DMC suddenly doesn't seem impossible.

aerts1js

So if I create a user named Ghostcrawler and review WOW:Cataclysm as 10/10 on Metacritic, then Blizzard sucks for bad viral marketing.

Right? Right?

Just realized, OP is probably Avanost

edit: sorry OP! I stand corrected!

Empty

funny catch, though it seems more like a single employee bitter at the online reaction and reacting in a really pathetic way, not a co-ordinated act of bioware astroturfing lead by pr/marketing (not that that kind of thing doesn't happen, i'm sure it does)

Zeal

Banned
i seriously miss the reviews by Next-Generation Magazine and even GameFan. gamespot, IGN and pretty much every major game site nowadays are just cheap whores for hire.

kuYuri

This is about the same as the tons of people who banded together to give MW2 PC a ridiculous low score on Metacritic.

If anything, it just shows what a joke Metacritic's user reviews are.

Cornbread78

Funny stuff FishSquared, I think CSI Miami and JAG are looking for guys like you, LOL.

Zeal said:
i seriously miss the reviews by Next-Generation Magazine and even GameFan. gamespot, IGN and pretty much every major game site nowadays are just cheap whores for hire.

$50K can buy you a nice score, I'm guessing,LOL

ataboada

Never got the memo saying that an employee promoting their game is questionable or shameful; especially on a user review. Google any business and you'll find similar results. The consumer is the one to decide on the quality of a product using aggregates or on their own. Also, he's just a man, why would you imply criticism of Bioware without proof that their management were the ones who commissioned this man's review on Metacritic?

Using that logic then you can pick on everyone who reviews anything while they are employed by any company.

esserius

Banned
Zeal said:
Yeah, but we keep "donating" our time and money to them. Until they give us the clap, then we get angry that they went behind our back. Whose expectations are unrealistic?

Patryn

Just another piece of the giant PR disaster that Dragon Age 2 has become.

Note that I'm not talking about the game's quality here. Just the way it's been presented to the public in interviews and the like. From "SUPER HOT graphics" to "Push a button and something awesome happens!" to the whole debacle over auto-attack on the consoles, it's been a mess.

Even those who unabashedly love the game have to admit that it's about this close to becoming a textbook case of "How to Not Market Your Game."

iam220

1) Go to LinkedIn, find an employee of a hated developer.
2) Goolge search his/her name to find an alias.
3) Use alias to post extremely favorable review.
4) Take screen shot of review as well as page where alias was found and LinkedIn profile
5) Post on reddit
6) ???
7) Profit!

My point is not only can you not draw the conclusion that bioware is behind this, you can't even conclude that this was the employee in question. Settle down people.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
ataboada said:
Never got the memo saying that an employee promoting their game is questionable or shameful; especially on a user review. Google any business and you'll find similar results. The consumer is the one to decide with aggregates or on their own. Also, he's just a man, why would you imply criticism of Bioware without proof that their management were the ones who commissioned this man's review on Metacritic?

Using that logic then you can pick on everyone who tries to promote anything while they are employed by any company.

Except for the line about how anything negative said about the game is the work of haters, I'd agree.

Let's assume the best. That he was just a hard working dude who spent a couple years on the project and is simply upset at the negative reviews the game has gotten. Okay, well, why not post that? Because he's trying to be dishonest, plain and simple. Not really world shaking news there, but it's at least of note.

I hate these big summary pictures that have become popular in the last year or so. Right it out like a normal human being.

It's probably him but you know what? I could probably find a developer at a game site, create a username on metacritic that he uses and do the same thing.

Edit: And now that I've posted, I see others have the same thought. Thank god not everyone is clueless.

Struct09

Oh my lord, who cares? An employee gushes over his company's game in a user review, there's nothing sinister going on here.

Sealda

Banned
What are you guys talking about? Avanost is a highly respected polish video game magazine! Seems legit to me

2v1ro86.png

kswiston said:
They are tied to the actual critic score. Not to whether SquallFan43 and Masterchiefrules22 liked your game. Again, User review.

Coming from an industry where you live and die by the opinions of the clients/customers/SquallFan43s...it's just a matter of time until they bonuses stop being tied to the scores offered by professional reviewers and actually hinge on the reviews made by the fans, customers, etc.

Reviewers have less and less influence these days. If a company really wants to make their customers happy, they really do need to start paying attention to the people that are passionate enough to take the time to score the games in question.

Great games WILL get great scores.

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
ataboada said:
Never got the memo saying that an employee promoting their game is questionable or shameful; especially on a user review.

Most sensible human beings would appreciate that even if you don't lose the right to anonymously fellate something you have a vested interest in (which you do), it puts your company in an uncomfortable situation.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
This is wrong, I'll tell you why:

The guy is misrepresenting himself to mislead readers. I realize that a User Review is to post user opinions, but this guy posted this review - gave it the highest score and made it seem like he was just "another gamer" like everyone else posting user reviewers. In the first few lines of the review he discredits other people's opinions as well. He's obviously trying to deflect the negative reviews on that site by masquerading as someone else. If he has given full disclosure on who he was and why he thought other reviewers were 'inaccurate' that would be one thing.

Given this in any other business would be a lack of professionalism. And that's exactly what this is. This guy didn't break the law and shouldn't be punished, but he displayed a lack of PROFESSIONALISM, something the game industry needs. Posting 10 User Reviews for your own game makes the games business seem like it is ran by fan boy children.

If the guy wants to defend the game from poor reviews, post a blog or something. Hiding who you are to restore "reputation" is just skeevy, and in this case it completely backfired.

esserius

Banned
iam220 said:
My point is not only can you not draw the conclusion that bioware is behind this, you can't even conclude that this was the employee in question. Settle down people.
Doesn't really matter, this whole thing has been a question of public perception for Bioware, and it's sinking faster than... well, faster than a fast sinking ship (no Titanic metaphors dammit!).

Sealda said:
What are you guys talking about? Avanost is a highly respected polish video game magazine!

2v1ro86.png

So...is Chris Hoban clever enough to try to hide the fact that he works for Bioware and make his username the title of a fairl unknown gaming magazine?

DrBo42

iam220 said:
4) Take screen shot of review as well as page where alias was found and LinkedIn profile
5) Post on Forum
5) ???
6) Profit!

If anyone thinks that the company is behind it, they're idiots obviously. With the research he's done however, I don't find it hard to believe an employee posted it. The guy either did it as a response to all the hate or as an inside joke. In either case, it's not a big deal.

Kyoufu

While I find that it is silly to post a completely biased perfect score user review, at the end of the day its just that; a user review. Why on earth would he get fired?

TommyT

iam220 said:
5) Post on reddit
6) ???
7) Profit!

It's circumstantial enough to be truth on the internet.

what do you expect them to say about their own game? Does anyone honestly believe any game company(or any company selling a product) doesn't do this

This whole thing is blown out of proportion in a ridiculous way:

1) It is a user review. There are hundreds if not thousands of them. They are unregulated and it is not going to move the score hardly at all. It is not a professional review. It is meant to allow anyone from the dev. to the hater who didn't like the commercial to come and spiel whatever crap they want.

2) User reviews don't matter in terms of influence or sales. Here are some examples:

Modern Warfare 2 on the PC has a user score of 3.7
Call of Duty Black Ops on the PS3 has a 5.7
Blue Dragon has a 7.9
Enslaved has an 8.1

Now, I agree with some of those and disagree with others. But the point is that user reviews have no correlation to sales or influence. Everybody knows the are totally lacking in qualification.

If you don't get upset by all the idiots giving the game a 0 or a 1, many of which are just backlashing against the game and it is obvious they haven't even played it much from what they say, then I don't know why you would be upset about this guy giving it a 10.

esserius

Banned
D2M15 said:
Most sensible human beings would appreciate that even if you don't lose the right to anonymously fellate something you have a vested interest in (which you do), it puts your company in an uncomfortable situation.
Or rather, that PR is supposed to be stroking the egos and pocketbooks of all concerned parties long enough to hoodwink the consumer yet again. From that perspective, business has never been so good for Bioware or EA (or really the games industry in general).

kswiston

EternalGamer said:
If you don't get upset by all the idiots giving the game a 0 or a 1, many of which are just backlashing against the game and it is obvious they haven't even played it much from what they say, then I don't know why you would be upset about this guy giving it a 10.

Great post. Especially this part.

DaBuddaDa

"Intentionally hiding behind a fake name to mislead people with a disingenuous review of a product you worked on is absolutely fine!" - NeoGAF, 2011.

iam220 said:
of course i can draw that conclusion. i can't say it for a fact, but i can believe that it is probable enough to safely presume this poster to be the same guy who works at Bioware.

like i say taking into consideration the content of that review, it seems highly unlikely for this to be a coincidence.

not impossible or improbable, but drawing the conclusion that it IS the bioware staffer isn't in any way shape or form illogical.

Makoto

EternalGamer said:

I have to agree. I'm not even sure why anyone would feel BioWare needs to issue an apology. Ethics and integrity? Tell that to the people who poorly rate games on Amazon without playing them solely because they have DRM in them. When someone sees that 10 from the BioWare, guess what? They're undoubtedly going to see a 1 from someone who absolutely loathes the game. Who do I trust? You quickly learn that you shouldn't hold user reviews from sites like Metacritic in such high regard, no matter who it came from.

uhm this pisses me off, but i'll at least credit them that the game is not pure shit, it's decent, but really it's FAR, FAR, FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR away from a 10 :X

This thread pushed me to do a Google search of my username

It's crazy how many old forum posts pop up. Apparently some Socially Awkward Penguin image gallery I made in Photobucket has quite a few thousand views now for some reason to. Couldn't find my name anywhere though.

woodypop

EternalGamer said:
Show me that one of those idiots is an employee of a company obviously out to simply discredit a competitor and I'd show just as much amusement.

iam220

plagiarize said:
i can't say it for a fact, but i can believe that it is probable enough to safely presume this poster to be the same guy who works at Bioware.

How can you "safely presume" that? Were you the one who did the original detective work? Reddit has its share of fake posts to get attention, why can't you safely presume that this is one of them?

xbhaskarx

Sealda said:
What are you guys talking about? Avanost is a highly respected polish video game magazine! Seems legit to me

2v1ro86.png

I'd hate to see what the not-highly-respected Polish video game magazines look like....

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
It's sad, that I don't really care because it's just one user review on EA's payroll vs. dozens of journalist reviews on EA's payroll.

iratA

Adam Prime said:
This is wrong, I'll tell you why:

The guy is misrepresenting himself to mislead readers. I realize that a User Review is to post user opinions, but this guy posted this review - gave it the highest score and made it seem like he was just "another gamer" like everyone else posting user reviewers. In the first few lines of the review he discredits other people's opinions as well. He's obviously trying to deflect the negative reviews on that site by masquerading as someone else. If he has given full disclosure on who he was and why he thought other reviewers were 'inaccurate' that would be one thing.

Given this in any other business would be a lack of professionalism. And that's exactly what this is. This guy didn't break the law and shouldn't be punished, but he displayed a lack of PROFESSIONALISM, something the game industry needs. Posting 10 User Reviews for your own game makes the games business seem like it is ran by fan boy children.

If the guy wants to defend the game from poor reviews, post a blog or something. Hiding who you are to restore "reputation" is just skeevy, and in this case it completely backfired.

Well said. This is the only complete and correct reply in this thread. Everyone needs to read this.

Top Bottom