• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google Chrome |OT|

Nabs

Google hired the Greasemonkey dude to work on Chrome.

carlosp said:
i have a dualcore with win7 64bit and it takes me less then two seconds to start firefox.

I'm talking about initial load, when you're on a fresh restart. firefox beta is still 4-5x slower than chrome to me. maybe i'm just unlucky. (quadcore/win7)

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Himuro said:
*install Chrome*
*click link*
*images don't load*
*refresh*
*only half the images load*
*refresh*
"Can't load page"
*uninstalls Chrome and goes back to Firefox*

This is weird, I know of you and some other people that have that same issue but I've personally never ran into it either.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Souldriver said:

Yes. But the updater is the only other thing, and it's one of Chrome's best features.

BlueTsunami said:
This is weird, I know of you and some other people that have that same issue but I've personally never ran into it either.

It used to happen to me, however I believe it solves itself over time as Chrome builds up a cache and adapts to your connection

Andrex said:
Updates Chrome without user interaction. You're usually always running the latest version because of it.
That's one of its best features? Lordy lord. Why not just go the FF route. You open up firefox, and while you're surfing it either updates automatically, or you just get an alert, depending on how your settings are.

I know "certain gaffers" will see this as needless bitching again, but I really do think this updater process is stupid. I rarely use Chrome (like once a week for whatever reason), so I rather not have a google chrome process running 24/7 "just because". No matter how small it is, it's still clutter.

Is there an easy way to get rid of it? Right now I have an older version of Chrome, without the update process running. But I can't remember exactly how I did it.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Souldriver said:
That's one of its best features? Lordy lord. Why not just go the FF route. You open up firefox, and while you're surfing it either updates automatically, or you just get an alert, depending on how your settings are.

I know "certain gaffers" will see this as needless bitching again, but I really do think this updater process is stupid. I rarely use Chrome (like once a week for whatever reason), so I rather not have a google chrome process running 24/7 "just because". No matter how small it is, it's still clutter.

Is there an easy way to get rid of it? Right now I have an older version of Chrome, without the update process running. But I can't remember exactly how I did it.

It is indeed needless bitching because it's a superior way of doing updates.

Iron, Portable Chrome, Chromium, and the Chrome standalone installer do not include the Google Updater.

tabsina

Souldriver said:

Have you simply tried uninstalling the google updater?

though like the others, i don't see how it is anything other than good, since your computer would seldom show signs of it running in the background

if you are only using it once a week, clearly it isn't your choice browser, maybe you can just not use it, if the updater annoys you?

BeeDog

Is there a way to get Chrome to work like Firefox when it comes to pressing TAB? While typing an URL, I would like the cursor to jump down to the history list just like in Firefox.

teiresias

Souldriver said:
That's one of its best features? Lordy lord.

bea2xj.png

Seriously, at least on the Mac version you even have to enable the automatic updating I think, so what's the freaking big deal? It's not like it's the freaking bloatware Apple Updater piece of crap.

Bleh, must've done something wrong cause the updater came along with the install anyway, and it's Chrome 5 instead of 6. (unless there's no dutch version of 6, which I doubt).

Whatever, no biggie.

Nabs

BeeDog said:
Is there a way to get Chrome to work like Firefox when it comes to pressing TAB? While typing an URL, I would like the cursor to jump down to the history list just like in Firefox.

it's arrow key down. tab is used to convert the url into a search field. if i type in amazon and press tab, i can then search amazon.com.

BeeDog

Nabs said:
it's arrow key down. tab is used to convert the url into a search field. if i type in amazon and press tab, i can then search amazon.com.

I know it's arrow key down, but I don't want it like that. At least Opera allows me to re-wire the TAB key, but I can't find the setting in Chrome...

Diablos

So the first thing I do is click a bookmark of a jpeg to see if Chrome randomly misses loading images.

It still does.

When the next Firefox is out of beta I may very well switch back.

I don't know how anyone could call Chrome the "best browser available" when it doesn't even load gifs and multiple images properly :lol

I've never had Chrome "miss" loading an image. No idea how these few people have problems. Just seems so weird and alien when I have never had an issue with Chrome, either on Windows or OSX.

Fisticuffs said:
I don't know how anyone could call Chrome the "best browser available" when it doesn't even load gifs and multiple images properly :lol
That is not normal.

Fisticuffs said:
Don't start this. If people say that it just means that on their computer, and for their specific whishes and needs, Chrome is the best browser of the bunch. Just deal with people being hyperbolic. It's easier than asking for them to be reasonable or elaborate their opinions. Add an imaginary "imho" after every sentence.

Gui_PT

Fisticuffs said:

Yeah, that's just wrong. I don't know what's wrong with you guys, but I never had any problems like that.

I'm just going to leave this quote here for anyone else who comes in with a problem and thinks that everyone has it:

Siebzehn50 said:
Do you think that's a common issue and we all just put up with it? It's not.

Fisticuffs said:

This is not the standard experience with the browser.

Andrex said:
:lol

Another little tweak. Middle/Ctrl clicking Back, Forward, or Refresh opens those pages in a new tab. Actually kinda cool. :lol

Does anyone know if there's a way to make mouse wheel click go straight to the new tab? As it is, you have to mouse wheel click to open the link in a new tab, then click on the tab itself.

Smokey

First time Chrome user here. Finally downloaded it after all of these years (and IE causing my machine to fucking lock up at times). Just installed that GAF extension that highlights your name when people quote you as well.

First impression: :O

Why did I wait so long to install ?! And I haven't even messed around with it in depth yet, that's just my impression off of general browsing for a hour or so.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
AvidNobody said:
Sooo, anybody want to tell me what the must-have extensions are?:D

Depends on what websites you use and your browsing habits. I have:

• Chromed Bird, probably the best Twitter client I've used. Then again I don't routinely check out Twitter clients. Wish the UI was better but it's feature packed so I live with it.

• Google Reader Checker, an unofficial extension that displays the unread count and opens Google Reader in a tab when clicked. I prefer this behavior to Google's official extension's popup box. Whenever possible I like to use the real sites. Occasionally it displays that there's no unread when there is.

• Google Mail Checker, which is indeed by Google. There's also Google Mail Checker+ but I'm fine with the official implementation.

• Google Calendar Checker (by Google), an official extension that pops Google Calendar open in a tab and displays the time remaining until the next event. Regularly grays out for me, but it's not crucial to me that it's up absolutely all the time.

• RSS Subscription Extension (by Google), which should really be a core part of the browser.

• Docs PDF/PowerPoint Viewer (by Google), an official extension that changes URLs to PDFs and PowerPoint files to load them in Google Docs' viewer.

• NeoGAF Live Thread, useful for rapid-fire threads or those that you don't want to have to reload.

• NeoGAF User Highlighter, already recommended, but still awesome.

• Send using Gmail (no button), an unofficial remake of Google's Send using Gmail, except it doesn't place a badge next to the Omnibar.

• StayFocused, which locks you out of sites for a specific time, letting you get work done.

• Web Developer, which has been useful for resizing the browser window.

• AdBlock, with NeoGAF, Ars Technica, and several other sites whitelisted.

Fisticuffs said:

I haven't had any major problems with GIFs or images since at least last December.

stressboy

Fisticuffs said:

:lol :lol :lol

This has never happened to me before. :lol

:lol :lol :lol

MCD

Ramma2 said:
No way that I've seen. Proxy settings are saved in the registry, and both browsers look at those keys for proxy info.
Guess I will stick to FF3 till IE9 beta.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Just started using Chrome a few weeks ago at home, I love it.

I will upgrade tonight even though I probably won't be able to tell the difference.

Paznos

Hmm I'm not seeing the speed that everyone else seems to be seeing compared to Firefox 3.6.8, pages pause before loading completely, whereas on Firefox it's almost instant loading.

2 quick questions:

- CTRL-B doesn't seem to be opening the bookmarks bar anymore. how do i do this?

- can anyone recommend an Extension that allows you to download Flash/FLV movies off of websites (ie Youtube)?

Threi

notag
AvidNobody said:
Sooo, anybody want to tell me what the must-have extensions are?:D

Mine are:

Inline youtube (GET THIS EXTENSION. It is SO useful.)

Adblock

ChromeTineye

Imgur Uploader

NeoGAF Live thread

and hopefully this when it's done (pleeeeeease D4Danger :D)

D4Danger said:
I just found out Chrome has a context menu api and whipped this up quickly.

unless somebody beats me to it (or already has) I'll try and put this up soon for people to download

pXIll.png

(it won't look this bad)

tabsina

In response to ChromeTineye suggested earlier, i might suggest another, which i prefer since it doesn't cover the picture in any way
TinEye Reverse Image Search

Fisticuffs said:

i think that might be a problem with your computer

D4Danger said:

nice one, that's looking great, i suppose since chrome doesn't offer the image size (like, kb size, rather than pixel size) in 'inspect element' it would be impossible to also pull that information?

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Image Properties Context Menu extension

It should work but I haven't tested it that much.

There's still a couple of things I want to add like the ability to zoom images in and out and changing to background (you can't see white images on the white background for example)

If it works ok for people I'll probably try and fix it up next week.

Top Bottom