• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google nabs Square Enix and other game developers to do native client Chrome games

Pachael

It'll be interesting to see if Google has a roadmap for browser/web based gaming that is exclusive to its ecosystem, e.g. On-the-go gaming with Android and Desktop gaming with Windows/Mac/Linux using Chrome with your Google account becoming a defacto 'Live' account. It'd be amazing.

Hmm, fly-solo platform? Check. Totally disregards existing web standards? Check.

Seems quite a ways from "really not."
There are alot of misunderstandings about Google Chrome games supported through (NaCl) Native Client libraries. It's nearly the same model as PS Suite using many of the same OPEN SOURCE native language libraries. As long as those native language libraries exist on all platforms, games relying on those libraries are cross platform. Chrome NaCl games is just WebGL supported with open source native language libraries.

Mono, used by both PS Suite and Google Chrome NaCl, is a Gnome technology and requires Cairo for rendering which requires Glib and Pango; Lua can have Cairo bindings. Both PS Suite and Chrome NaCl run in a sandbox inside a browser. Mono can API call/use a webkit core (Chrome) and the Android browser core based on webkit had to be rewritten to comply with webkit API standards to be used with PS Suite and it looks like in the near future we will hear that Android's browser is going to support Google Chrome NaCl games.

A difference between PS Suite and Chrome Native Client looks to be in the choices for the game engines and AV support. Sony went with gstreamer and Chrome NaCl is using a different sound only library. PS Suite appears to have longer legs (more powerful) while Googles choices allow for a larger more open, more inclusive platform. (This only from looking at the Sony Google TV and other CE disclosures on-line.)

A Linux or POSIX platform using a GTK webkit browser is already more than half way to supporting PS Suite and slightly less for Chrome's NaCl model as the support libraries chosen for webkit with WebGL support are the same as needed by PS suite and to a lesser extent Chrome's NaCl. The PS3 is getting a GTKwebkit WebGL browser.

What's not clear to me is if this is to be part of a WebGL standard in the future. Middleware

PS3 Home
Lua with Cairo bindings (could convert to Mono for scripting)
CairoGL
Gstreamer
Pango
Glib
webkit core? no proof of this but probably coming
Game Engine (Unknown)
Physics Engine (unknown)

Lua with Cairo bindings as of Home Client 1.4
As of Client 1.4 supports the Gstreamer DASH player and possibly Webkit core
Client 1.5 introduces a new Game engine (unknown possibly Phyre) and Physics engine (unknown rumored to be Havoc) The unknowns beg the question, what if Sony is using the same choices made by Google Chrome NaCL??? The PS3 has more free memory than is being used by Home and Hard Disk cache/virtual memory is being used in a manner like a handheld Vita or Android platform not like one with a hard disk. This leads to speculation that Sony has plans for "Home" on other platforms.

GTKwebkit coming to the PS3
webkit core (May require webkit2)
GTK
CairoGL
Pango
Gstreamer 1.0 with Cairo bindings (Audio and Video)
Glib

PS Suite on Android platforms in a Android NDK enabled MonoJIT sandbox
Webkit core (webkit2)
Mono (C & C++ compiled to C# then Mono bytecode)
GTK
CairoGL
Pango
Gstreamer 1.0 with Cairo bindings (Audio and Video)
Glib
Game engine (unknown) OpenGL
Physics engine (unknown)

Google Chrome NaCl Game = NaCl in a Chrome Browser Sandbox = WebGL + Native Client Libraries
webkit core (webkit2)
Mono
CairoGL
Pango
Glib
Fmod Wwise (Audio)
Game engine (Unity and Moai) OpenGL
Physics Engine (Bullet)
Lua with Cairo Bindings
Native code compilers from many langagues including C, C++, and C# (may be part of the Mono package C & C++ compiled to C# then Mono bytecode)

Uhhh...... huh. Right. Yeah.

...OK.
I take it from your statement; "My game should be released there pretty soon though~" that you are a game developer. Signed NDA? If so limited as to what you can say?

Kinda interested if Google and Sony partitioned up or set time limits RE: Google Chrome NaCl games on Windows and Linux PCs and Sony PS Suite on Android and Google TV platforms.

Also, is Google going to push this into WebGL as a standard for games (after feedback from game developers and a period to test how it works)? Mono is not quite open source but Lua is. Any impact on this issue?

In Mono blogs there is a reference to an "Angel" providing funding....I assumed it was Sony after we learned about Mono being used in PS Suite but it could have been Google. Mono appars to be very important to both Google and Sony.....in light of that how could Novell have let Mono slip out of their hands?
Miguel de Icaza announces later a partnership "SUSE and Xamarin Partner to Accelerate Innovation and Support Mono Customers and Community"

Novell lays off Mono programmers after PS Suite is announced???????? Google says they have been working on this for 3 years; I assume that they mean WebGL games and the choice to use Mono recent. Still it would be interesting to find out who came up with PS Suite and NaCl games, if it just developed from supporting Chrome on windows which required NaCl to allow use of directX drivers (Google Angle project) hope I have that correct. The same idea as NaCl being used to create the Android NDK.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I take it from your statement; "My game should be released there pretty soon though~" that you are a game developer. Signed NDA? If so limited as to what you can say?

Nah, just a hobbyist for now. Very excited about the web as a gaming platform though.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Just finished the presentation because I am slow and have a terrible attention span.

YGbP2.png

This is pure amazing.

Also that presentation turned me on to Cordy, which is a pretty awesome 2.5D platformer Unity game.

Top Bottom