• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gotham S2 |OT| Dawn of Altruism - Mondays 8/7c

Nice job as always, OddOne.

I'm watching the Ogre arc, and I still like it as much as I did when it first aired. I think the show found its groove in the second half, and I'm happy that S2 is going to be more arc-heavy as opposed to being procedural/one-and-done.

Oddduck

I posted this before in the Season 1 thread, but I wanted to repost this here since we have a new thread for Season 2.

Note: Official reviews will begin rolling out later this week. I'm expecting reviews to be mostly mixed, because ya know, it's Gotham. It's a very divisive show.

In case some of you missed this in the Season 1 thread, here are some early impressions so far of Season 2.

(Take these first impressions with a grain of salt.)

Vinnie Mancuso, writer at Observer.com

Gotham%20Vinne%20Mancuso.jpg

Meredith Jacobs, television writer at examiner.com and buddyTV.com

Gotham%20Meredith%20Jacobs.jpg

Lucas Siegel, writer for ComicBook.com and StarWars.com

Gotham%20lucas%20siegel.jpg

Lucas%20siegel%202l.jpg

Aaron Sagers, writer for CNN, Huffington Post, and AOL

Aaron%20Sagers%20gotham.jpg

Matt Degroot, writer at Buzzfeed.com

Gotham%20tweets%20matt%20degroot.jpg

Matt Mitovich, TVLine.com's Editor-In-Large

Gotham%20season%202%20TV%20Line%20Matt%20Mitovich.jpg

Damian Holbrook, TV Guide Senior Writer

Gotham%20damian.jpg

Adam Bryant, TV Guide executive editor

Gotham%20season%202%20Adam%20Bryant.jpg

Gregory Staffa, Freelance TV writer

gotham%20tweets%20Gregory%20Smith.jpg

Megan O'Keefe, writer at Decider.com

Megan%20O%20Keefe.jpg

Rich Heldenfels, writer at Akron Beacon Journal (Ohio.com)

Rich%20Heldenfels.jpg

ScreenSpy.com

ScreenSpy.jpg

Samantha Highfill, writer at Entertainment Weekly

Entertainment%20Weekly.jpg

Hillary Busis, writer for Mashable

(She seems to have a more negative impression/review)

Hillary%20Busis.jpg

Jerome Wetzel, Freelance TV critic

Gotham%20Jerome%20Wetzel.jpg

Chris Hayner, writer for zap2it.com

chris%20hayner.jpg

So is Montoya gone? Would have been interesting if they'd done something without Barbara and more Question-y with her.

Waaaaaaay too early for her to start moving in a Question-y direction.

Honestly, if you excise the Barbara-related stuff, she's basically exactly how I'd want her to be. Underused, but otherwise on point.

SeppOCE

I just want to see Jerome shine again. Even though they're still trying to draw out the "he might not be the Joker" thing that four minute scene was one of the best comic book Joker impressions I've ever seen.

Saya

Can anyone give me a quick summary of what happened at the end of season 1? I dropped it after a few episodes, but will give season 2 a try again after seeing those reviews. They got me interested again.

Can anyone give me a quick summary of what happened at the end of season 1? I dropped it after a few episodes, but will give season 2 a try again after seeing those reviews. They got me interested again.

There's a shit ton that happened in the back half of the season. Among other things, Nygma accidentally kills someone and then cracks a little from having to hide it, Barbara gets lured away (after a falling out with Gordon) by a nymphomaniac serial killer, Penguin starts a gang war, and Fishmooney gets captured by a Frankenstein-esque mad scientist on a private island.

Saya

There's a shit ton that happened in the back half of the season. Among other things, Nygma accidentally kills someone and then cracks a little from having to hide it, Barbara gets lured away (after a falling out with Gordon) by a nymphomaniac serial killer, Penguin starts a gang war, and Fishmooney gets captured by a Frankenstein-esque mad scientist on a private island.

I see. Maybe I should check out the last few episodes of season 1.

Sober

Was meaning to finish up season 1, will probably get around to that soon.

The key art looks interesting, looks like they're trying to evoke the bat symbol with the way the characters and the skyline line up. Sorta. Kinda reminds me of the Arkham Origins art.

Gorger

Wow from the reviews it seems like season 2 will get a quality boost equal to the second season of The 100. Getting more and more hyped the more I read about it.

Skux

Love the world, and the production design. Really looking forward to season 2, everything I hear about it just makes me feel like they can really live up to its potential.

BSherrod

Wow, those tweets have me excited. I don't have a Playstation right now so hopefully there's another way to watch the pilot early.

Sober

Getting close to finishing season 1. Seems a little odd in some places, but overall I think I like how the show operates, just that a few story arcs seem odd. The really odd one is Fish Mooney stranded in reconstructive surgery island for what feels like 6 or so episodes.

Also I guess I just finished the first episode about The Ogre and the weird flashback/film reel thing is really odd, like why is the show just doing that now?

On the plus side I feel like this is finally the first time I actually like Morena Baccarin in something after all these years, or at least she and Ben McKenzie seem to have actual chemistry.

Pachimari

I'm at Episode 8 now, and I feel like this season is really good so far. Episode 7 were the best with the twist and all that. Really liking it!

Just watched the first episode...

it's still a terrible show.

I agree. The 1st episode of season 2 is just the same as season 1. If you liked season 1, you will like it.

If anything, it was was worse because it barely had Bullock.

I also liked the new villain woman taking off her gas mask as she got as close as possible to the gas source.

Everything having to do with the mental institution was bad.

Penguin at the Commissioner's house was the highlight of the episode.

E the Shaggy

Well, and regarding the "we don't know if it's the Joker" the producers have said its basically him, the idea of the Joker that's most appealing to me is a guy who's driven insane by an exceptionally shitty day (ala the Killing Joke) He's also created in part simply because Batman exists.

To have him just always be the Joker, even as a kid, just takes away from the character for me. I get that the Joker sells but this wasn't the way to do it.

Well, and regarding the "we don't know if it's the Joker" the producers have said its basically him, the idea of the Joker that's most appealing to me is a guy who's driven insane by an exceptionally shitty day (ala the Killing Joke) He's also created in part simply because Batman exists.

To have him just always be the Joker, even as a kid, just takes away from the character for me. I get that the Joker sells but this wasn't the way to do it.

He's not really the Joker yet, IMO. He's pretty nuts, but definitely not all the way to being the clown.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Just watched the premiere, I have no idea what any of those early reviews are talking about. Maybe the second or third episode is some bold new departure, but this felt like the same show as last season.

Seems to be a lot more Jerome coming up, so if you liked him, you got it. Hopefully they find a way to work Bullock back into his Detective position, because he plays well off Jim. I also hope this is the last time Jim gets demoted/fired. They seem to have closed to the door on that, at least.

Pachimari

Having read some of the impressions in here for the premiere episode, was the OT during Season 1 also negative towards it?

Because I am enjoying Season 1 so far and is currently at Episode 10. The only thing I'm not too fond of, is the villain of the week, but Gotham ranks among the best superhero shows out there.

I just can't take a whole season were nobody likes what they're watching heh.

Also, I like all of the characters so far but Fish Mooney. All of Jim, Barbara, his partner, Butch, Penguin, Ed Nygma, Harvey Dent, Falcone, Maroni etc. The only ones I didn't like besides Mooney, were Renee and her work partner, but they are coming around on me, now that they're helping Gordon.

Top Bottom