• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gotham S2 |OT| Dawn of Altruism - Mondays 8/7c

BSherrod

Watched the first episode of the new season, I didn't see the vast improvement that the early reviews saw, but I'm still in. Seems to continue the flow of the previous season, but we'll see how the first few episodes shake out.

Penguin

I liked it.

It seems to have been slightly tighter (I guess because more characters are together) and it seems to have its tonal balance in check. Leaning more dark with a dash of humor sprinkled throughout.

wildfire

Banned
Gotham needs this head start to build up some goodwill. I liked season 1 except for the last episode. It felt haphazard. So far I'm ok with season 2 opener but it has all the same problems of the season 1 finale to rush events to a necessary conclusion.

They know they made mistakes and are trying to fix it as quickly as possible. I'll ignore what happened this episode and judge season 2 from episode 2 onwards.

Bluth54

Part of the reason there were so many breaks in the first season was that they extended the length of the season twice, from 13 to 16 episodes, then to 22.

Not really, the first season of Gotham started on September 22 and by October 13 they had ordered a full season. There are going to be just as many breaks this season (or fewer but longer breaks) this season as there were last season.

Penguin

Not really, the first season of Gotham started on September 22 and by October 13 they had ordered a full season. There are going to be just as many breaks this season (or fewer but longer breaks) this season as there were last season.

Well, he is still half true

They did extend it twice, but really the reason for so many breaks during the second half was stretching it until sweeps.

Like believe it ran the first 10 or so eps straight, then final 3

Then it was all over the place for back 9

I expect a better schedule with maybe 4-5 then 1-2 week break in-between then winter hiatus then 4-5 few weeks in betwee

I thought the producers in S1 said Joker kid was one of several possibilities. Then I see a trailer for S2 and he's all over the place being a villain.

Don't forget that X-Files will be taking Gotham's slot for five weeks, so that covers one of the breaks.

Sölf

I thought the producers in S1 said Joker kid was one of several possibilities. Then I see a trailer for S2 and he's all over the place being a villain.

Just because he is one possibility doesn't mean he only has to appear once or that he can't be a main character. Heck, for all we know he could just randomly die in Episode 5 or something.

Pachimari

I'm loving everything about this show so far. S1E11 were a little weak, and I expected more of it from the titled "Rogue Gallery". I were surprised to see Poison Ivy there, and as a kid. Actually a little weird to see Selina Kyle, Ivy and all those as kids, but it's cool nonetheless. And the whole mafia angle going on is woah. Butch's kill came out of nowhere!

Loving this show, and can't wait to see where it's going for the rest of Season 1, and the upcoming Season 2.

I finally got around to watching the new episode. For some reason Sony's site wasn't letting me log in before and I didn't feel like watching it on the PlayStation because nobody else in the house watches this show with me.

I loved it! I agree with people saying it's more of the same, but that's a good thing in my book. Fish being gone and Selena only having one line helped things, I'm sure. But I also like how all the villains are being set up right now.
Jerome was my favorite proto-Joker and his creepy hitting on Barbara is so great. I just hope this rag tag group of villains doesn't turn into poor man's Suicide Squad.

Oddduck

Just watched the premiere, I have no idea what any of those early reviews are talking about. Maybe the second or third episode is some bold new departure, but this felt like the same show as last season.

Seems to be a lot more Jerome coming up, so if you liked him, you got it. Hopefully they find a way to work Bullock back into his Detective position, because he plays well off Jim. I also hope this is the last time Jim gets demoted/fired. They seem to have closed to the door on that, at least.

I can't speak on the quality of the Gotham S2 premiere since I haven't watched it yet.

But I think the biggest, boldest departure will be the show's format.

- Crime of the weeks are gone. The show will no longer be Law & Order: Gotham.
- No more Fish Mooney.

Even if the show's quality doesn't improve, I do think Season 2 will feel very different from Season 1.

For better or worse.

Oddduck

Decent review from Variety

As in a decent thought, not a decent written review

http://variety.com/2015/tv/columns/gotham-season-2-review-fox-rise-of-the-villains-1201590327/

Here's some more Season 2 reviews posted on Metacritic.

http://www.metacritic.com/tv/gotham/season-2

We Got This Covered - 8 out of 10

The quality of these first two episodes signals a level of consistency which season one was lacking, and while it may not have dramatically altered itself, enough has been improved that it deserves a second chance and should remain a must-watch weekly piece of television for those who are fully engrossed in this prequel.

Slant Magazine - 7.5 out of 10

True, Gotham has more than its share of monologuing villains and expository or portentous lines (Lee to Gordon: “You wanna be a cop so bad you'll break the law?”), but it undercuts those conventions often enough to make them feel like a conscious homage, not just clunky writing.

TV Guide Magazine - 6 out of 10

Gotham's unending mayhem and graphic carnage can feel grinding and exhausting. [21-27 Sept 2015, p.17]

Forbes review (Link)

Based on the first two episodes of the new season, it can be said there’s been some improvement in Gotham – or at least there’s more of the good.

That said, the show’s building out a few narratives that could work out well as the season gets into the meat of things. Gordon’s rise up the ranks of the GCPD is still entertaining with its juxtaposition against Penguin’s rise up the ranks up organized crime, the truly entertaining Cameron Monaghan is being given a whole lot more to do this year as his maybe-Joker character Jerome Valeska and Bruce Wayne’s narrative is improving a little a bit more now that David Mazouz is starting to enter the crux of his teen years.

There’s a foundation Gotham stands on that’s rocky in the kindest of descriptions. That foundation is what needs work, and it’s probably going to take more than just a few patches of cement to fix it.

obin_gam

This show will not get a third season. After watching Ep1 of this new season, only feeling I got from it was "this is so dumb, and not in a fun way."

munchie64

This show will not get a third season. After watching Ep1 of this new season, only feeling I got from it was "this is so dumb, and not in a fun way."
Aren't its numbers pretty good? If they can improve, which it sound like they have those should remain stable.

Given the ratings of everything on Fox that isn't named Empire, and how dire most of their new shows this fall look, I see no reason why this won't get a third season.

The only new show they have that I think will do any good at all in the 2015-16 season is Scream Queens, well and The X-Files but that's just a six and done limited series.

I think there's a significant number of people who disagree with your feeling. Maybe not critics, and maybe not on here, but certainly out and actually watching the show.

Oddduck

I think Gotham will get a season 3.

1) Fox doesn't have many hit shows outside of Empire. If Sleepy Hollow can survive to Season 3 with its declining ratings then I can't see why Gotham wouldn't make it to Season 3.

2) Fox and Warner Bros will ride the marketing hype of "Batman vs Superman" and "Suicide Squad" with Seasons 2 and 3. Batman v Superman releases in March, and Gotham S2 ends sometime in April/May. Suicide Squad releases in August, and Gotham always premieres in September. So Season 3 would premiere one month after Suicide Squad comes out.

3) Scream Queens (Metacritic: 56) and Minority Report (Metacritic: 57) are not getting glowing reviews from critics either. (And I'm looking forward to Scream Queens).

Pachimari

Just episode S01E16, and that creepy boy gotta be the Joker! Anyway, I think the show has taken a hit toward the middle but slowly getting better again. Btw, I don't like this Lee Thompkins, kind of annoying but Gordon must see something in her. Wish he would just hook back up with Barbara.

WB is getting a nice chunk of money from Netflix at a reported $1.75M per episode for season one, if their deal continues through this season I think Gotham is pretty safe.

TheOddOne

Season premiere today:
Season 2: episode 1 "Rise of the Villains: Damned If You Do..."

With the Penguin's star rising in Gotham, Jim reluctantly turns to the crime lord for help. Meanwhile, Theo and Tabatha turn to some of Jim's enemies for help, and Bruce discovers his dead father Thomas's secrets.

Sölf

When exactly does it air? Probably at a timeslot so I here in Germany have to wait for tomorrow to watch it. xD

Been looking forward to this :)

Ah, so that's how they're going to keep that mystery going with Bruce and the underground.

LOL

Perfect song and montage

LOL Bullock lifting that guy's head at the bar

Penguin having fun

Back to Joker-like crazy kid.

Edit: Oh shit Nygma...

Goddamn it Gotham, now this is gonna be stuck in my head again lol:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VK03aVJekGg

2373405-3630346645-kazHi.gif

Barb. Oh my

Edit:
Penguin's like "hey bro" with Gordon :D

LOL I liked that "You sure?" Well he's not wrong, police work is completely thankless here.

Effect

Barbara is such a better character like this.

I did like Penguin asking why Gordon even wanted his job back. I hope Gordon has learned his lesson about making deals with Penguin or at least owing him favors. Should be interesting if he takes the deal.

Top Bottom