• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GOTY: Company of Heroes

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
Holy craaaaap, this game is daaaaaamn good. I've been waiting for an RTS this good since my Starcraft days and, in alot of way, this game moves the genre forward and is an absolute blast to learn and play. The graphics are superb, the sounds are great, and the units, gameplay, strategy, etc. are top notch. I played this game against a friend for 3 hours straight last night and it felt like 3 seconds. He handed me my ass, but I was enjoying the heck out of it the whole time.

I had trouble sleeping last night because I kept thinking of different strategies to use on him next time. A game hasn't kept me up at night in years! If you have a capable PC, I suggest you download the single player demo and the multipalyer beta and buy this game next week without giving it a 2nd thought. If you're PC is gimped, I seriously reccommend upgrading that POS ASAP.

Relic, THQ, Bish, etc. I SALUTE THEE!

GAME OF THE YEAR, BITCHES!

Relic is pretty amazing. I've been playing CoH beta and the Dawn of War Dark Crusade demo. I am impressed with both but I'm more excited about Dark Crusade. CoH feels a little like DoW in WWII time, and I'm pretty tired of WWII themed games. THEY NEED TO STOP. But technically it's a good game with awesome graphics although it's the same forumla as Dawn of War.

Yoboman said:
What are the requirements?

Doesnt run too well on my 2.2 amd, 9800 pro setup. But thats to be expected I guess. Fantastic game though, first RTS to be able to compete with Starcraft. And blowing shit up with artillery is so awesome.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
I dont think any of the Demos were optimised so it might be a bit early to say your PC is too gimped to play.

Yoboman

Fallout-NL said:
Doesnt run too well on my 2.2 amd, 9800 pro setup. But thats to be expected I guess. Fantastic game though, first RTS to be able to compete with Starcraft. And blowing shit up with artillery is so awesome.
That's no good. The game isn't that crazy good looking

Yoboman said:
That's no good. The game isn't that crazy good looking

Ghost said:
I dont think any of the Demos were optimised so it might be a bit early to say your PC is too gimped to play.

So there you have it.

The game actually does look very good though, especially since its an RTS.

Yoboman said:
Technology-wise, it doesn't do anything that wasn't available in 2004. Or earlier.

the only RTS with physics and graphics similar to this is Age of Empires III (and maybe rise of legends) and that looks elementary compared to this.

Yoboman

ElectricBlue187 said:
the only RTS with physics and graphics similar to this is Age of Empires III and that looks elementary compared to this.
Genre is largely irrelevent.

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
TO ALL THE HATERZ:

baboogp4.gif

baboogp4.gif

baboogp4.gif

Yoboman

ElectricBlue187 said:
well since you haven't played it your opinion means nothing to me. :)
<3
This is true. I have followed the game though, you don't need to play the game to make a judgement on graphics.

Yoboman said:
This is true. I have followed the game though, you don't need to play the game to make a judgement on graphics.

you do if you're trying to compare it to 2004's graphics leader C&C Generals.
The idea is so absurd it's laughable.

Yoboman

ElectricBlue187 said:
you do if you're trying to compare it to 2004's graphics leader C&C Generals.
The idea is so absurd it's laughable.
...The technological leader of 2004 was amongst HL2, Doom 3 and Far Cry.

And wasn't Generals released in 2003?

Yoboman said:
...The technological leader of 2004 was amongst HL2, Doom 3 and Far Cry.

And wasn't Generals released in 2003?

This is an RTS btw you can't make a direct comparison between FPS and RTS :/

It's like saying Albert Pujols is better than Peyton Manning because he hit 40 home runs this year.

Yoboman

ElectricBlue187 said:
This is an RTS btw you can't make a direct comparison between FPS and RTS :/

It's like saying Albert Pujols is better than Peyton Manning because he hit 40 home runs this year.
Technology does not exist in individual vacuums between genres. My point is, CoH is a game that could've more than likely been done on 2004 hardware (assuming they weren't aiming for the lowest common demoninator, as RTS tend to do.) RTS weren't exactly at their peak in the year, so excuse me for not being able to make as direct a comparison but the technology in CoH was definately possible then. The game was first shown only a few month into 2005, why are you asserting that it's some gigantic leap from the period it began development in?

ElyrionX

P4 3Ghz
1GIG DDR RAM
9800Pro 128MB

How's it going to run on my system?

I'll be willing to accept lower graphical settings. But can I get decent framerates at lower settings on 1024x768x32?

Yoboman said:
My point is, CoH is a game that could've more than likely been done on 2004 hardware .....why are you asserting that it's some gigantic leap from the period it began development in?

My assertion is the graphics are a leap over any RTS game before it. Based on your argument because my computer can run CoH and my computer was built in 2002 this game could've been made in 2002 because the technology is the same.

Sure, magical monkeys could've flown out of my butt and programmed CoH in 20 minutes and I could've been playing it circa November 2002 but that's not what happened huh? Alot of other graphically inferior games were made first and then this was made today.

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
ElyrionX said:
P4 3Ghz
1GIG DDR RAM
9800Pro 128MB

How's it going to run on my system?

I'll be willing to accept lower graphical settings. But can I get decent framerates at lower settings on 1024x768x32?

It should run pretty OK and be playable on the lower settings.

As for the graphics not being up to par? It's a visual feast in so many ways and there's so much going on with things blowing up left and right. It feels *real*. I'm playing at 720P widescreen with max settings and daaaamn is it pretty. I'll try to post screens later.

Kabouter

Man I still gotta play this, if only I had more time I'd check out the demo.
But man, it's Relic, and with this hype I'll just grab the full version and start with that.

GashPrex

NeoGaf-Gold™ Member
love the game, suck at it ...'

any suggestions?

its about the only game when i have free time i play now

Yoboman

ElectricBlue187 said:
My assertion is the graphics are a leap over any RTS game before it. Based on your argument because my computer can run CoH and my computer was built in 2002 this game could've been made in 2002 because the technology is the same.

Sure, magical monkeys could've flown out of my butt and programmed CoH in 20 minutes and I could've been playing it circa November 2002 but that's not what happened huh? Alot of other graphically inferior games were made first and then this was made today.
Yet you ignore the fact that technological equal did exist in 2004, and pretend that technology is only congruent with genre. Your comparison is completely nonsensical, of course the game could have been made at any point - what I'm saying is this game is not beyond 2004 technology, and I wouldn't go too far to expect requirements to be very fair on PC's built in that period..

GashPrex

NeoGaf-Gold™ Member
ElectricBlue187 said:
MG 42 nests FTW

they are useful in the single player and "helpful" in the multiplayer but a good mortar crew or tank can easily take them out...

oh and snipers are ****ing evil in this game, sucks losing a crew in a building so quickly to 1 ****ing sniper

got tank smashed last night by the germans on multiplayer, i should have been using my airborne more effectively - would have been great to have artillery too

Yoboman said:
Yet you ignore the fact that technological equal did exist in 2004, and pretend that technology is only congruent with genre. Your comparison is completely nonsensical, of course the game could have been made at any point - what I'm saying is this game is not beyond 2004 technology, and I wouldn't go too far to expect requirements to be very fair on PC's built in that period..
You are out of your goddamned mind. Why else would we think a game like Oblivion looks great when its character models are nothing compared to say FNR3?
Genre absolutely determines the level of tech in a game, are you for real or is this just a bad troll attempt? Here's a thought, download the beta off of fileplanet and see for yourself. The game is amazing visually as well as gameplay wise, the only other RTS that looks better visually is World in Conflict and thats not even close to release.

This game looks awesome and is very technologically advanced. The number of detail displayed on screen is insane. When you zoom into the farthest level, you can see facial animations on each soldier.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Ghost said:
Correct. The retail version (ON SALE SEPTEMBER 14TH AT ALL FINE PURVEYORS OF ELECTRONIC ENTERTAINMENT MEDIA) is optimized up the wazoo. Everyone will see significant gains. You have to remember, in order to get a beta or demo out early in the summer, the build actually has to be locked down and in QA two weeks ahead of time. There's a lot of progress made towards gold that the beta doesn't benefit from - but the final game definitely does.

Anyways, thanks for the bouquets - and brickbats, Yoboman. Just as an aside, what was accomplished here would not have been feasible on 2004 technology. No skin off my ass, however - hate away! :D

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
bishoptl said:
I believe it's the single player skirmish demo.

hot. but I'm gonna wait until the retail release and play the beta until then :D

so the final version is polished up even more? Yowza, CAN'T WAIT!

September 14 is in the middle of my shift, so I'll have to wait until the 19th to pick this up. :(

Oh well, looking forward to the many months (years?) ahead playing this.

Crikey.

it's official, and no-one would ever disagree.

This is the best RTS ever, possibly the best PC game ever, possibly the best game ever fullstop.

And in the UK at least, for £25... it comes with Dawn of War GOTY free inside.

But...

wah...

This is seriously raising the stakes.

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
Littleberu said:
Any ressources management in this game? Can I pause the action? Do the characters come in squad?

no resource management, but you do have to control sector locations (one for munitions, one for fuel, one for manpower or something) and the more you hold, the more they bring in automatically. pretty ingenious, actually. You can't pause and make commands, if that's what you're asking. The characters (infantry) come in squads and are controlled in squads. They are pretty smart in attacking and taking cover. For special functions (like grenades and sticky bombs) you have to order them to do it.

Scotch

FlyinJ said:
You can pause and give orders in the single player.
Really? That's great to hear. It's one of the things I loved about Rome Total War.. being able to take my time and carefully plan my next move.

FlyinJ said:
You can pause and give orders in the single player.

that brings up another point of discussion. I am very disappointed in the single player beta. The cut scenes are long and boring. The subject material (D-day landing) is old and has been done better than this on multiple occasions.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
ElectricBlue187 said:
that brings up another point of discussion. I am very disappointed in the single player beta. The cut scenes are long and boring. The subject material (D-day landing) is old and has been done better than this on multiple occasions.

The D-Day mission was bad. The second mission, the town defense, was really fun.

But this game is all about single player skirmish and multiplayer. Co-op and otherwise. The new demo has single player skirmish in it.

Top Bottom