• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GOTY: Company of Heroes

MickeyKnox said:
depends on who you are playing against
Axis flak panzer rush works well against inexperienced allied player, but if they know how to set up their ATs then it will fail miserably.

I *love* the AT gun.

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
For some reason, the game doesn't register when I try to select a unit A LOT. I move my mouse over the unit, the light blue ring shows up and then I click but it doesn't actually select the unit. By the time I realize that I have already given order to a unit to move accross the map through enemy lines.
No one? It's kinda killing the game for me -_-

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
elostyle said:
For some reason, the game doesn't register when I try to select a unit A LOT. I move my mouse over the unit, the light blue ring shows up and then I click but it doesn't actually select the unit. By the time I realize that I have already given order to a unit to move accross the map through enemy lines.
No one? It's kinda killing the game for me -_-
A fix is coming.

elostyle said:
RTS is a dumb genre for single player and doesn't compare to when it's played online.
I'm the complete opposite. Though I still love playing RTS games online, what I love the most is a great single-player experience. They're one of the most immersive genres for me, and I absolutely love watching the battlefield (and towns, in other cases) come alive for hours on end. I can spend hours on a great random single-player map just watching it evolve.

Going online kills that RPG-esque immersion - immersion which is similar to, say, walking around the living cities of Fable - for obvious reasons (chat, min-maxing, micro, etc).

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
Single player RTS stops being immersive once you have played it enough online. You sit there on the maps an wonder what's going on, what the enemy is doing and you realize that all your doing is trigger scripted events and just have to sit there fighting off the everlasting same waves of enemy forces and build up enough and then clean the map.

KyanMehwulfe said:
I'm the complete opposite. Though I still love playing RTS games online, what I love the most is a great single-player experience. They're one of the most immersive genres for me, and I absolutely love watching the battlefield (and towns, in other cases) come alive for hours on end. I can spend hours on a great random single-player map just watching it evolve.

Going online kills that RPG-esque immersion - immersion which is similar to, say, walking around the living cities of Fable - for obvious reasons (chat, min-maxing, micro, etc).

Agreed, online it becomes something else.

Been playing the demo recently on my new computer, but it didn't seem to run too well. I read the comments about the demo not being optimized.
My system:
Intel Core 2 Duo Processor E6600 2.4GHz
1GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM
265MB nVidia GeForce 7900 GS

How much better would the retail play?

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Absolutely fine. Your setup is better than my home setup, RAM aside - and it works great. There's a serious optimization upgrade between the demo and final retail.

bishoptl said:
Absolutely fine. Your setup is better than my home setup, RAM aside - and it works great. There's a serious optimization upgrade between the demo and final retail.
Cool, then as soon as I have the money, or when it drops in price, I'm buying.

messed

just a heads up that the offical company of heroes fansite/marketing site is haveing a giveaway for the next couple days. Their giving away a Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty sound card. All you have to do is register at the site and then enter your username in the draw. Here's the link to signup at the site. http://www.ablecompany.net/coh/?friend=mV7nPN

Razoric

Banned
I'm thinking about picking up the collector's edition tonight. (if my best buy still has that tin case) :D

finally jumping onboard. had to finish up saints row and splinter cell first. maybe i'll see some of you asshats online :D

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Company of Heroes Post Mortem interview.

One features that I wish we had had more time to work on would have been including Multiplayer maps, with specific missions and objectives wrapped around these. This was something we were excited about but just came up late in the process and we didn’t feel it would impact the overall quality of the product if we didn’t get these in. But that doesn’t mean we have forgotten about them. :)

Now that would be sweet. Multiplayer FPS's have been doing this for awhile and it rocks, I'd love to see an RTS take on that type of multiplayer gameplay, it seems like a perfect fit. Hopefully we'll see something like that in any theoretical expansions that are on the way.

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
bishoptl said:

Bish, the 1.3 patch fixed some of the problems for users running SLI (Nvidia) rigs, but there's still plenty of artifacts and visual errors goin' on, especially if shadowing is turned on.

I want to play this game at max settings with all the bells & whistles turned on without having to turn off SLI, damnit! ;)

:D

bee

finally got around to playing this, its fantastic and thats coming from someone who pretty much hates rts games.

i know some people dont like how early on it really leads you by the hand, i thought that was great, like rts for noobs i.e me.

i really am quite bad at it though, took me 2 hours to do a mission last night haha :)

bee said:
finally got around to playing this, its fantastic and thats coming from someone who pretty much hates rts games.

I'm thinking about giving this a shot and i'm not much of a fan of RTS games either, so that's good to hear.

What's performance like? I've got a 2GHz Athlon64, 1GB of RAM, and a Geforce 6800.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
I have the same spec as _leech_, you should be good... the graphic just won't be as pretty as the video clips shown in IGN or Gamespot, unfortunately :p

Sinatar

New patch! (also know as no more Calliope's for you)

v1.5

New Maps
2p_Beaux Lowlands
4p_Lyon

General Fixes
- Games with friends now have a friend icon displayed when browsing the lobby game list.
- Messages regarding game connection attempts are logged to the chat window for all players in the session.
- Rank icons now indicate the type of game the rank was earned in.
- Games with players who have infinite pings now display an “X” for ping in the lobby game list.
- New game list filtering options added to the online lobby.
- Custom maps are now properly supported in multiplayer.
- Losing connection with the lobby while downloading a patch no longer crashes the game.

Sound
- UI sounds have been added to the online lobby.
- Auto match sound notification has been improved.
- Various speech fixes for weapons have been implemented and tuned.
- Destruction sounds have been added to various world objects.
- Repetition has been reduced in battle chatter and with various units.

Gameplay
Sherman Calliope:
- Sherman Calliope’s main tank gun has been removed and the Calliope Barrage ability is now free to use.
- Sherman Calliope Barrage range increased from 130 to 150 meters.
- Sherman Calliope now has cap of 2, similar to the Pershing Heavy Tank.
- Sherman Calliope cost reduced from 600 Manpower to 560 Manpower.
- Sherman Calliope Barrage ability recharge timer increased to 105 seconds
M10 Tank Destroyer:
- Allied M10 Movement improved: 15% increase to acceleration and 10% increase rotation rate.
- Allied M10 Tank Destroyer weapon damage has been increased and Fuel cost has been reduced by 5.
- Axis Armoured Car (Puma) 20mm main cannon rear penetration vs. the Allied M10 significantly reduced.
M8 Armored Car:
- Allied M8 Armored Car’s accuracy on the move increased. Now on par with the M4 Sherman and M10 Tank Destroyer.
- Allied M8 Armored Car’s accuracy penalties vs. the Axis Armored Car (Puma) have been removed.
- Allied M8 Armored Car Armor upgrade Munitions cost reduced by 25.
M26 Pershing Heavy Tank:
- Allied Pershing penetration rate vs. the Stug increased to 80%.
- Axis Stug penetration rate vs. the Pershing has been reduced to 45% from 74.6%
Allied Commander Tree Improvements:
- Armoured Fury Branch changed to: Raid to Allied War Machine to Calliope.
- War Machine Branch changed to: Fast Deployment to Field Repairs to Pershing.
- Allied War Machine Command Point Cost reduced by 1
- Sherman Calliope Command Point Cost reduced by 1
Infantry AT weapon changes (Allies and Axis):
- All Infantry Anti-Tank weaponry (Bazooka, Recoilless Rifle, Panzerschreck) are slightly more accurate when firing at moving light targets.
- Allied Bazookas and Recoilless Rifles now deal slightly more damage to Light Vehicles
- Panzerfaust accuracy against infantry targets has been reduced as intended. While there is still a chance to directly hit and kill targets like snipers, - Panzerfausts are now more likely to cause splash damage rather than kill infantry.
- Panzerschreck Damage vs. base buildings lowered by 25%.
- Bazooka damage vs. base buildings has been lowered by 25%.
Allied BAR and suppression changes:
- Allied BAR Rifle upgrade now gives 2 BAR Rifles rather than 3. Allied BAR Riflemen squads will now be able to pick-up MG42 and Panzerschreck items
- Allied BAR Rifle damage increased by 40%.
- Allied BAR Rifle will take slightly longer to Pin units that are in a Suppressed state
- Allied BAR Suppression ability can no longer suppress and pin units in heavy cover.
Construction Changes:
- Players may no longer delete Sand Bags or Tank Traps.
- Allied Observation Post built from Riflemen now has the same build speed as the Observation Post built by Engineers.
- Allied Observation Posts, Axis Observation Posts, and Machine Gun Nests now have the appropriate target type while building; now like all other buildings they will be much more susceptible to damage while under construction
- Axis Volksgrenadiers can now utilize the same build menu as the Grenadiers – this allows them to construct Barbed Wire and Sand Bags.
Smoke Changes:
- All Barrage weapons no longer have a 50% chance to miss targets in Smoke.
- Projectiles will no longer pass directly through Sherman’s on registered “Misses” – they will now behave like all other tanks and those hits will be registered as a non-penetrated “deflection”.
- Sherman smoke launcher recharge rate was less than the duration of the ability, now set to 45 seconds
Axis Officer:
- Axis ‘Leutnant’ Manpower cost decreased to 260 from 340
- Axis ‘Leutnant’ Build Time increased to 60 from 30.
General Squad and Weapon Changes (Allies and Axis):
- All Snipers more effective against units garrisoned inside of bunkers.
- All Allied Rifles slightly more effective against Axis Motorcycles
- Allied Engineers with the Flamethrower upgrade are no longer resistant to Sniper Shots
- Fixed an issue where the Stug’s main gun Area-of-Effect was too effective against infantry squads.
- Axis Assault ability will now break pinning/suppression and prevent pinning/suppression while the ability is active.
- Increased Axis Infantry passive health regeneration bonus received from their first level of veterancy by 40%.
General Vehicle Changes (Allies and Axis):
- Panzer IV accuracy while moving set to the same value as other tanks.
- Axis Goliaths now destroy Tank Traps in a single explosion.
- Axis Armoured Car Puma 50mm Cannon upgrade now requires Escalate to Battle Phase upgrade.
- Axis Motorcycles damage vs. units in light or heavy cover has been slightly reduced
- Axis StuH 42 now effectively kills infantry as was originally intended
- Axis Armoured Car Puma 50mm Upgrade accuracy reduced vs. infantry. It is intended as an anti-armor upgrade.
General Heavy Weapon Team Changes (Allies and Axis):
- All Mortars now have a chance to deal Mobility Damage if they hit Light Vehicles.
- All Anti-Tank guns are now more accurate when firing at moving and stationary Light Vehicles.
- Allied 57mm Anti-Tank gun firing cone has been increased by 20 degrees to match Axis 50mm Anti-Tank gun.
- Allied HMG Armor Piercing Rounds ability price reduced from 50 to 35 munitions.
- Allied Howitzer Gun Barrage is less accurate when firing into the Fog of War.
- Axis Nebelwerfer Manpower cost has been reduced by 20
- Axis Nebelwerfer Rocket Suppression area of effect increased.
- Axis Nebelwerfer Rocket area of effect damaged reduced. Direct hits and near misses will still damage infantry units.
- Axis Nebelwerfer will deal a reduced amount of damage to units in light, heavy, bunker, and garrison cover types.
- Axis Flak 88’s are more resilient to Artillery, off-map attacks, and satchel charges (the crew manning them is not).
- Axis Flak 88’s and Nebelwerfers can now be re-manned by 2-man Pioneer squads.

That's some fine support. And thankfully after upgrading my pc a month back I can now run CoH instead of it crashing all the time yay.

Sinatar

ninj4junpei said:
Holy crap at that patch. :D I love relic.

Edit: Where do I download this? It's not on the official site.

Game has an auto updater, log on and it should download it.

jwj442

I don't see how one (such as BabyWookiee) can say this game is generic (besides the setting, and even there the genre gives a new perspective on it); it plays very differently from a typical RTS, even from its sister game Dawn of War. It's definitely not a typical "mass and attack" game.

The RTS genre has actually had a lot of innovation in the last couple of years.

KTallguy

Banned
WOW!!! Thank god they've fixed all of the problems.

I loved playing the game online but there were too many balance issues. This is AWESOME.

bee

nice fixes! love playing this online 2v2 or 3v3 great fun

guess 1.6 will be the dx10 patch, not that i expect it to do to much.

Rur0ni

Just started playing this game yesterday. It's amazing. Browsing the relic forums gives me a headache with all the shorthand talk though. I hate being new. :p

Hooker

Man, this patch kinda sucks for the novice Axis player *cough* me *cough*. RifleRush is harder due to the new surpression method. And the M10 is godly now. Bunch of M10's destroy basically everything.

And the Calliope is better as well, it's not dependent on ammo anymore, so you can keep on using that rain of fire.

Another thing that bothers me is that the Flak88 (my favourite weapon of choice, Defensive Doctrine all the way ^^) doesn't get the veteran stars/dots, although it is mentioned in the tool-tip that is should...

Still love the game to death though!!

Top Bottom