• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GOTY: Company of Heroes

Trasher said:
During this mission you get the ability to send P-52 airstrikes down on the enemy, which is very satisfying. I can't wait to finish the campaign so I can check out the multiplayer.

The feeling is similar to call down a V2 rocket on an unsuspecting group of shermans in multiplayer:lol

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Trasher said:
I've played some awesome single player missions. So far I love the campaign, and I love how challenging it is. My favorite mission so far is the mission where you get to do an airborne night assault on a V2 German missile base. During this mission you get the ability to send P-52 airstrikes down on the enemy, which is very satisfying. I can't wait to finish the campaign so I can check out the multiplayer.

We need to make an official CoH thread(or just use this one..)!

Best game ever. We should play this game and chat over Xbox Live at the same time. :lol

Dommel

The Stealth Fox said:
Did anyone run this on a 6600GT? My mobo is coming (my older one fried), so I'm excited to try this game out.

Yup, Sempron 3400 + 6600GT here and smooth as silk on 1280x1024 auto settings (medium-ish).

Awesome game, especially the multiplayer.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
chespace said:
Best game ever. We should play this game and chat over Xbox Live at the same time. :lol

That's exactly what my friend and I did with the beta while playing co op 2 on 2 maps vs the CPU.

I'm still waiting for console RTS gaming to take off. There have been some good efforts (Goblin Commander, LOTR) but hopefully more are on the way now that a few developers have balls.

I would buy the game but my PC is crap. If I had the power in my PC, I would swipe this game up instantly. Sigh.

Shouta

Just got down with Hill 192, man that mission is brutal if you don't take it slow. Resource point positioning is all open and tanks are hiding everywhere. Damn hedgemaze. :lol

EekTheKat

My SP campaign has a cool little sniper team going - the 2 of them pretty much sets up at opposite ends of a enemy unit + pick them off one by one :lol

chespace

EekTheKat said:
My SP campaign has a cool little sniper team going - the 2 of them pretty much sets up at opposite ends of a enemy unit + pick them off one by one :lol

Argh, I need to use snipers but I suck at thinking along those lines.

Where do you set them up usually? What are some good hints for sniper pwnage?

Shouta

Snipers work so well almost everywhere but a nice and high position works very well, according to the game. I use Snipers to hold heavily contested strategy points most of the time because they'll pick off enemy units in the middle of capturing and then go into hiding again making mincemeat of enemy soldiers.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
chespace said:
Argh, I need to use snipers but I suck at thinking along those lines.

Where do you set them up usually? What are some good hints for sniper pwnage?

I find snipers work best garrisoned in buildings, gives them a huge line of sight to work off of. If that isn't possible, highground is the way to go.

Drinky Crow said:
Network code. I installed the SLI patch, so that's cool. I better not have performance issues on this rig!
!

I think Coot, Drinky, Che, and Wasabi need a 2 vs 2 match. That would be the sickness

UncleGuito said:
Can't you use XBL headsets on the PC? I know you can use PS2 ones because they are USB.
A few of the BF2 NeoGAFfers use them.

I love putting snipers in a church, it's so wrong, yet so right, lol.

WasabiKing said:
!I love putting snipers in a church, it's so wrong, yet so right, lol.
Hey, it was in Saving Private Ryan right? Can't be too wrong.

Damn it, I keep popping into this thread even though this game won't even work on my PC. I'm torturing myself.

EekTheKat

For snipers I put them on camo + hold fire. That pretty much makes them invisible killing machines/scouts. I then manually tell them shoot one target at a time, giving the snipers some time to go back into camo.

It helps a lot to have a couple other units ready to move in immediately after using the snipers to clear out though.

Snipers are pretty much great for specialized killing, like picking off an officer or clearing anti tank batteries.

Two snipers on opposite ends of an anti tank gun picking off their crew one by one is hilariously awesome.

Such an awesome game, on one mission I actually saw one of my guys run out to an injured guy + give him a shoulder to lean on to get him back to base.

EekTheKat

Well they caught me, later on in the game when they introduce anti-sniper units (bikes for germans, jeeps for allies I think) my sniper team is getting shredded.

Back to the drawing board for a new tactic I guess, having snipers scout was such a good tactic while it lasted too.

Shouta said:
Just got down with Hill 192, man that mission is brutal if you don't take it slow. Resource point positioning is all open and tanks are hiding everywhere. Damn hedgemaze. :lol

the level when you have to defend the hill 192 and keep the mortain, that is the hardest level so far.

It's tough because your tanks are disabled and they get tanks themsevles.

but I beat it, yes.

Shouta

DreamMachine said:
the level when you have to defend the hill 192 and keep the mortain, that is the hardest level so far.

It's tough because your tanks are disabled and they get tanks themsevles.

but I beat it, yes.

What company are you set in on that map?

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
chespace said:
oh muthafuka it is on... let's play co-op vs. CPU.

I have a headset. And I have the game. Paid $0.14 for it (traded 3 old games in at Gamestop). I am doing the tutorials. Will be able to play tomorrow night.

Shouta

DreamMachine said:
able company, I didn't know there was a difference? can you be a different company?

No no, I meant what commander company. As in Infantry, Airborne, or Armored. If you have Infantry as the Commander abilities that be a bit easier since you get Rangers with that.

Shouta said:
No no, I meant what commander company. As in Infantry, Airborne, or Armored. If you have Infantry as the Commander abilities that be a bit easier since you get Rangers with that.

ohhh yeah, you get rangers..

but since you need quite a few command points to get them. by then the full scale attack launches. but the rangers did help considerably.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
For reference:

I have a P4 3.4ghz, with 2 GB of RAM, and an X800XT (256mb) card. My performance results using CoH's performance test was "Good" with an average FPS of 35.1, the high being 95FPS and the low being 17FPS. I turned on anti-aliasing, but otherwise, the settings it set for me are working fine. I was hoping to run it at 1280 X 1024 (native resolution of my monitor) but alas, the average fps was 27.

Most of the settings are on high. A couple were on medium. The game animates very well and the framerate appears to be holding (although I have only completed the first few tutorial missions).

I am anxious to start peeling back the layers and really getting into this game. So far, it has a ton of promise.

Culex

Banned
Picked up the game last night before I fly back overseas. Really awesome stuff!

I have everything maxed out, running at 1920 x 1200, but no AA and it looks great and is very much playable :)

I'm running on a Dell XPS M170: 2 Ghz Centrino, 2 Gig RAM, Nvidia Geforce Go 7800 GTX.

Thank god for this laptop!

chespace

Nice, found this on Relic's forums -- lets you slowdown the entire game so it's less hectic and maybe more strategic. Also, for those of you with shitty framerates, this allows you to crank up the visuals and still retain a smooth framerate.

First, you need to add "-dev" to the command line in your CoH shortcut.
Next, when in game, press SHIFT+CTRL+~ to bring down the console.
And finally, type "setsimrate(#)" where # is the speed at which you would like the game to run. I believe 10 is the default speed so typing "setsimrate(5)" would make the game run at 50% speed. And it does. Finally you can see all them firefights in slow motion.

chespace

And here is a random screenshot to whet your workday appetites:

img_13.jpg

Karg

chespace said:
Nice, found this on Relic's forums -- lets you slowdown the entire game so it's less hectic and maybe more strategic. Also, for those of you with shitty framerates, this allows you to crank up the visuals and still retain a smooth framerate.

Thanks for that lovely nugget of info.

Rangers at the ready! The best part about this game is that I don't feel that I need to micromanage. I hate doing that at work, I don't need to do that shit for my games.

che, that screenshot is a disappointment, you need the crab flail!

IJoel

Completed my third mission. I'm taking it easy, 1-2 missions per day. Carentan.

So...
Goddamn...
Amazing...

I love how the game makes one think tactically big time, in terms of what type of units you need to get the job done, and how to place them. I had 2 snipers in that Carentan mission that were placed ini ideal locations, with 2 heavy gunner units, and 2 mortar units just destroying the enemy.

Ferrio

Banned
Couple questions about multi:

1. IS there a way to see a list of the current players while playing?
2. How do you chat to someone other than your team?

I love that it sort of captures the fun that we had back as kids playing with army men (or at least those of us that were around when army men were considered fun). Between the cover, the environment destruction, and the general sense of military bases and such, I get almost a sense of nostalgia from it.

It's not similar to army men per se, but like the evolution of it. Sort of like if you ever looked at the battle field for your army men, or perhaps a Warhammer tabletop, and you imaged how that would translate into detailed virtual reality - the game is grasping at that.

Very few RTS games really established that level of immersion and presence. Most of the time they don't feel rooted enough; like they're simply an electronic table top game themselves, rather than a [virtually] living world.

It's hard to describe, but it's a fun regardless.

IJoel

4th Mission - Complete. Really cool last 5 minutes. Intense as heck.

WasabiKing said:
Hey bish, anyway to make it so I don't see the Relic & nVidia movies upon launch?

Go to \Program Files\THQ\Company of Heroes\Engine\Movies and rename the Relic, nVidia, and THQ movies. Well, that worked for me.

I know it AA stands for "ANTI-AIRCRAFT," but it's still not a good idea to try to parachute some troops behind one for a "sneak attack."

:(

chespace

I'm on the Hill 192 mission now and it is fun as hell.

I wish this game had a mode where you could turn off tanks and artillery to focus solely on just infantry combat. That's where this game really shines, imo.

Nothing like getting 3 squads to converge on a machine gun next and flanking it with diversion tactics and mortar suppression.

Love it!

Top Bottom