• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GOTY: Company of Heroes

Srider

Banned
bishoptl said:
Excuse me? Moneyhats for the win, jackass.

I have to clarify... you guys took it completely the opposite way. I cleared this up with bish and apologized for the misunderstanding, and it should be apparent from my previous praises for COH.

Gamespot's 8.9 was ridiculously low, I had talked on irc that same morning about how ridiculous it was that they screwed the game out of a 9. I personally believe COH deserves a 10, because honestly it's the best RTS in history imo.

Gamespot screwed up and they got caught in the act, so they came up with an excuse to make changes to the score and keep up their image, which is $$$ in the game site industry. My delivery came out all wrong and I feel the need to clear this up because bish, relic, and the game deserves it. I will be careful in my delivery for games that matter like COH in the future.

But yeah... it was taken COMPLETELY the opposite way of my original intention...

Srider said:
I have to clarify... you guys took it completely the opposite way. I cleared this up with bish and apologized for the misunderstanding, and it should be apparent from my previous praises for COH.

Gamespot's 8.9 was ridiculously low, I had talked on irc that same morning about how ridiculous it was that they screwed the game out of a 9. I personally believe COH deserves a 10, because honestly it's the best RTS in history imo.

Gamespot screwed up and they got caught in the act, so they came up with an excuse to make changes to the score and keep up their image, which is $$$ in the game site industry. My delivery came out all wrong and I feel the need to clear this up because bish, relic, and the game deserves it. I will be careful in my delivery for games that matter like COH in the future.

But yeah... it was taken COMPLETELY the opposite way of my original intention...

Thank god. I thought you were one of those people who felt the need to hate on a game just to hate.

jda1977

I love this game. Just got past the 2nd mission but have been playing skirmish alot. There doesnt seem to be a lot of skirmish maps... I think.

Srider

Banned
storybook77 said:
Thank god. I thought you were one of those people who felt the need to hate on a game just to hate.

Not at all, I know a good game when I see one. I absolutely love this game and urge everyone to give it a try, even if you don't normally play RTS.

Srider said:

Gamespot has an odd way of scoring games...

They criticized Halo 2 pretty badly for its campaign and what not...and gave it a 9.4
Company of Heroes got points deducted for not running smoothly on their SLI PC..(Before the change)....

But then Battlefield 2 got a 9.4! I thought that game was the buggiest game ever...

I thought Half life 2 should have gotten a higher score than 9.2...
Since Far Cry got the same score..

I personally use gamerankings.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Picked this game up on Saturday and finally started playing it today... wow.

Not sure what to say except this is pretty much the RTS I've been looking for my whole life. :)

CoH has RTS conventions, but the ebb and flow of losing and capturing territories, setting up makeshift HQs on the run, and cutting off supply lines turns this game into much more than a peon mining resources affair. Plus, the RTS cliches fit really well into the context of WWII... getting reinforcements is an airdrop from paratroopers, etc.

Then there's the graphics. Holy christ what is happening there... hands down the most destructive, most detailed, particle-drenched firefights I've ever seen on the PC... edging out my favorite PC game of 2004, Soldiers: Heroes of WWII (which CoH reminds me a lot of actually). The sad part is, this game brings my laptop to its knees... in fact, it runs so hot I've had the laptop randomly overheat and shutdown on me without warning twice. It's gotten so bad that I am literally playing this game with my laptop propped on top of a steel pot full of cold water (kinda like a heat sink). :p

Well, I guess my Chromehounds addiction has officially been replaced. Like methodone to heroin.

chespace

Ferrio said:
How's multi?

No idea. Going to get better at single-player first.

I'm on the mission where in the beginning you have a squad of tanks and armored cars and you have to go rescue Dog Company. Holy shit, difficulty in this game shoots right through the roof with no warning whatsoever.

But it's fun as hell.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
chespace said:
No idea. Going to get better at single-player first.

I'm on the mission where in the beginning you have a squad of tanks and armored cars and you have to go rescue Dog Company. Holy shit, difficulty in this game shoots right through the roof with no warning whatsoever.

But it's fun as hell.

Must. Resist. Temptation.

You and Trash buying this makes my desire for this game go up. Just having a few people to play with on occasion can make an RTS last for years.

Chromehounds may have to be traded in order to get CoH. Is it that good?

I have a P4 3.4GHZ with 2GB of RAM and an X800XT. I am thinking I should have no problems running this game. Correct?

chespace

DenogginizerOS said:
Must. Resist. Temptation.

You and Trash buying this makes my desire for this game go up. Just having a few people to play with on occasion can make an RTS last for years.

Chromehounds may have to be traded in order to get CoH. Is it that good?

I have a P4 3.4GHZ with 2GB of RAM and an X800XT. I am thinking I should have no problems running this game. Correct?

Buy. This. Game. Now.

It is seriously good. Your computer should have no problems. This game is so white knuckle I have knots in my shoulders from having played it all day. At times, there's so much chaos and so many little dudes on the battlefield you literally freeze with sensory overload paralysis. I amassed a bunch of paratroopers and some armor and marched them straight into the mouth of hell and it's like the best laid plans just goes to shit. Mass chaos erupts and I just froze up and sat there staring at the screen in awe as screen-rocking explosions littered the battlefield, houses came crashing down, debris everywhere, gibbed bodies hurling every which way, grown men screaming and cursing.

There was probably a better way to go about that particular offensive, but in that battle of attrition, I actually came out on top (although I lost 80% of my forces). I also have to say that the AI has been pretty decent. Enemy armor will try to find ways to get on your flank to avoid traps and roadblocks, and when outnumbered, they'll try to retreat into more advantageous terrain.

But my favorite thing about CoH is the way you're given a map and then you conquer it however you like by capturing and holding strategic points. Even after your HQ gets destroyed, you can commandeer any house and turn it into a makeshift HQ. Last night, the Nazis had me down to 2 armor vehicles and 2 engineers and I was on the run from a Panzer IV division. I managed to take out a few of them and then set up base in a farm somewhere. I was able to hold off enemy offensives for at least a half hour this way until I made some tactical errors and lost my armor.

Anyway, awesome game. I still feel like quite a n00b though. Does anyone have any hints as to the staple of what you should build first to set up a nice foundation at your HQ?

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
chespace said:
The sad part is, this game brings my laptop to its knees... in fact, it runs so hot I've had the laptop randomly overheat and shutdown on me without warning twice. It's gotten so bad that I am literally playing this game with my laptop propped on top of a steel pot full of cold water (kinda like a heat sink). :p
I hope you don't mind, Che, but I forwarded your quote to the rest of the COH dev team. :lol

Galdor

chespace said:
Does anyone have any hints as to the staple of what you should build first to set up a nice foundation at your HQ?
Well, there is one hint: be aggressive. Really, turtling is suicide.

I can give you a way to get very fast tanks:

Axis - First upgrade your HQ to Skirmish (200 mp /35 fp) and Assault phase (200 mp /50 fp), before you can build a Sturm Armory (240 mp / 35 fp). A Stug costs 340 mp /50 fp so you have your first tank after 980 mp / 170 fp.

Allies - First build a supply yard (100 mp / 50 fp) and a Tank Command (350 mp / 65 fp). A M10 Wolverine costs 300 mp / 60 fp, so by Allies you have your first tank after 750 mp / 175 fp.

I hope it helps.

Coen

UncleGuito said:
"Should have been made for the DS!"

-.-

I confess.
This game was never on my radar, basically because it was on PC. Haven't enjoyed an RTS, or any other PC game besides the original Call of Duty and World of Warcraft for that matter, since Age of Empires II. Tried the singleplayer demo once I saw some threads popping up on this forum. And I must say, I had a blast, even with the tutorial. Waiting for my copy to arrive, seems to be late over here (in Holland).

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I don't really care for this genre of games much at all but I have some friends who do, so I am gonna forward them a recommendation of this game for Bish...

DenogginizerOS

Che,

Would you trade in Chromehounds for CoH if you had no other option to get this game? My gaming budget is spent for this month and part of next month and trading CH is about the only way I can afford CoH. If you and others aren't playing CH anymore, then keeping it is really pointless ( to me, at least).

chespace

bishoptl said:
I hope you don't mind, Che, but I forwarded your quote to the rest of the COH dev team. :lol

Haha, I should take a picture of it and send it to you.

It looks ridiculous, like I'm cooking my laptop or something. But hey, I managed to play 3 hours like that until I went to bed wtihout the sucker overheating. :p

Also, my machine is a shitty 2GHz 1GB ram ATI mobile Radeon setup.

And I can run it at 1024x768 with most effects on (some high, most medium) and have it be playable. I can't say the framerate is all that hot sometimes but in some cases in this game, the slowdown helps when there's extreme chaos happening onscreen. Also, it's so detailed that it literally reminds me of a gorgeous hand-drawn 2D game like Metal Slug -- and just like those games, there's some slowdown when there are massive crazy explosions happening. ;)

Denog: I wouldn't trade in CH, no way. It's one of those games you can go back to with friends. Don't you have any other games to trade in? Like Madden? :) Or Saint's Row?

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
chespace said:
Picked this game up on Saturday and finally started playing it today... wow.

Not sure what to say except this is pretty much the RTS I've been looking for my whole life. :)

CoH has RTS conventions, but the ebb and flow of losing and capturing territories, setting up makeshift HQs on the run, and cutting off supply lines turns this game into much more than a peon mining resources affair. Plus, the RTS cliches fit really well into the context of WWII... getting reinforcements is an airdrop from paratroopers, etc.

Then there's the graphics. Holy christ what is happening there... hands down the most destructive, most detailed, particle-drenched firefights I've ever seen on the PC... edging out my favorite PC game of 2004, Soldiers: Heroes of WWII (which CoH reminds me a lot of actually). The sad part is, this game brings my laptop to its knees... in fact, it runs so hot I've had the laptop randomly overheat and shutdown on me without warning twice. It's gotten so bad that I am literally playing this game with my laptop propped on top of a steel pot full of cold water (kinda like a heat sink). :p

Well, I guess my Chromehounds addiction has officially been replaced. Like methodone to heroin.

this man has great taste :D Seriously if you like RTS or even if you don't, this game is worth a try, at least. IMO, the vast majority will like/love it.

DenogginizerOS, it should run pretty nicely on that rig.

Spooka

DenogginizerOS said:

Deno, I 'm running it fine on a lesser computer with an x800pro so you should be ok.

Variable

The one complaint I have is with the save system. Why can't I manage them a little more, and why can't I save over an older save? I had 5 saved games with the exact same name.

DenogginizerOS

chespace said:
Denog: I wouldn't trade in CH, no way. It's one of those games you can go back to with friends. Don't you have any other games to trade in? Like Madden? :) Or Saint's Row?

I traded Madden in towards NHL 2K7. I may just buy it outright in a few weeks.

If you have a newish desktop, I wouldn't worry about your specs. I have a 3800+X2 @ 2.4ghz, 256mb 7600GT, 1gb RAM and I can run everything maxed except textures (medium) and still get near full FPS.

Steeven

I have a shitty PC, P4 2.4ghz, 768 MB RAM and a 9600XT ASus 128 MB graphics card. The game runs fine :). Pre-ordered it after playing the demo, seems like one of the best RTS-games since Rise of Nations.

IJoel

I bought this last night and only had time to get through the training (again :p.)

One thing that was nice was the installation images with the historical background. I typically alt-tab out of these, and often wonder why the hell don't developers just hide this installation nonsense out of my view, but this was the exception. I look forward to play more this week.

I'm running the game from an Athlon64 3200 with NVidia 6800GS and it performs at around 30 fps in average. The test gave me a 15 fps min, 30 fps average, and 90 fps max.

Trasher

This game seems so friggin deep. You can't just mass units and be successful because the campaign is pretty damn difficult(even on normal). Like Che said earlier, he took his whole force straight up the middle and nearly lost it all. I've done the same thing, and everything just turns to chaos and you don't know what the hell is going on or what you should do. I can't even imagine all the different strategies there are right now, but massing your units is not one that will work a lot. :)

Btw Che, what kind of laptop do you have? It sounds pretty much the same as mine and if those are the settings you run it on I don't know how it's possible for you to play the damn thing. I guess I'll have to find some kind of cold surface as well.

Shouta

Borrowed the game from a friend to play since he's busy and can't play it at the moment.

I'm liking it so far. I do have a few issues with some of the implementation in the final version of the game but I haven't solidified it all yet. The Campaign is really well designed so far (up to the battle of Hill 192) but I do have a few quibbles with it.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
The only serious issue I have with the game is the vehicle pathfinding, it is genuinely bad. Same problem was present in DoW as well, too bad they couldn't work it out.

Other then that, brilliant game.

Steeven

Trasher said:
This game seems so friggin deep. You can't just mass units and be successful because the campaign is pretty damn difficult(even on normal). Like Che said earlier, he took his whole force straight up the middle and nearly lost it all. I've done the same thing, and everything just turns to chaos and you don't know what the hell is going on or what you should do. I can't even imagine all the different strategies there are right now, but massing your units is not one that will work a lot. :)

Btw Che, what kind of laptop do you have? It sounds pretty much the same as mine and if those are the settings you run it on I don't know how it's possible for you to play the damn thing. I guess I'll have to find some kind of cold surface as well.

True that. In the demo while playing skirmish, I succeeded more when I deployed small raid groups than sending in the cavalry. There's just too much going on and the AI knows to draw little groups out the mass into its ambushes, its very confusing and difficult, but also entertaining.

DenogginizerOS

I think the only thing preventing me from buying this (besides money) is that I do not have enought time to play what I own right now. However, I feel that if I don't start playing it soon, I will feel hopelessly lost later on trying to take on more seasoned vets online. Hell. Giving Trasher a 1 week start on a game is like giving the average gamer 1 year. :lol

Single player mode in RTS games typically is secondary to multiplayer, and from the sounds of it, this game requires more than average skill. Ugh. Decisions decisions.

The game does sound like it would be a blast. It is nice to be tempted by such a quality game in September that is not a sports game.

wait until you kids get to the 5th mission, talk about challenging. The pacing is VERY good, and I don't play RTSes at all. Except for Relic ones!

chespace

Trasher said:

My laptop...

http://reviews.cnet.com/Toshiba_Satellite_P105_S921/4505-3121_7-31812922.html?tag=tpr

Except mine has a 2 GHz processor and a gig of RAM. Not sure why CNET didn't have that option when they did the review.

So far, I'm very pleased with the laptop. I don't use it much for gaming, but for everything else (especially watching movies), it's awesome.

So on this laptop, CoH runs okay with lots of crazy shit turned on.

Wasabi: So which one is the 5th mission? I'm on the one where I have to hold the road and let the Red Ball Express convoy go through. I also have to go and take out an Axis base. Really damn hard.

WasabiKing said:
wait until you kids get to the 5th mission, talk about challenging. The pacing is VERY good, and I don't play RTSes at all. Except for Relic ones!

I dunno, I don't think the difficulty in this game isn't too bad, I am playing on normal.. and I find my self easily getting past these missions with medals :)

chespace said:
Wasabi: So which one is the 5th mission? I'm on the one where I have to hold the road and let the Red Ball Express convoy go through. I also have to go and take out an Axis base. Really damn hard.

Yup! Population caps make me cry. I'm on the 7th now.

EDIT: Normal difficulty, but I don't play RTSes ;) I can't get the 4th mission's medal, never enough baddies to appear for me.

BTW, the chatter is great, because it actually makes you feel as if you are leading these guys to their doom. And of course, sadness when a squad is killed... Pride when you crush a Nazi with the
crab!

Batongen

Banned
Do you think my three year old setup could manage this game:
Radion 9700 pro
AMD XP 2600+
1024 DDR ram.
After all the impressions I'm really excited to try this game out.

This game is ****in' stellar. Besides the fact that this game actually abstracts real military tactics and makes cover absolutely vital, the visuals and sounds just NAIL the feel of war cinema. I actually feel like a BAD PERSON when I give a dumb order and watch my little rifle dudes scream as suppression fire reduces them to so much bloody, twitching hamburger. :(

Also, THE RUSH GAME IS DEAD, FOLKS. No more massing and mini-map clicking, at least in this game. You gotta actually LEARN THE TERRAIN and KNOW YOUR COMPANIES. OMG!

Hey Che, sorry I didn't get a game up with you last night -- I tried a game with MAF and White Man and the choppiness made it a real bear. That's really my one complaint -- the lag strategy is really annoying. I've played AoE3 and RoL with them and we didn't have any of these issues, nor did we have a stupid kick dialog popping up in our faces every few seconds. The lag issues really hurt tank and HG micro -- they really need some predictive heuristics when turning a tank or a howitzer and lag is detected.

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
Batongen said:
Radion 9700 pro
AMD XP 2600+
1024 DDR ram.

you'll be able to play it, but at gimped settings. At least you'll be able to play it :D Upgrade later.

chespace

Drinky Crow said:
This game is ****in' stellar. Besides the fact that this game actually abstracts real military tactics and makes cover absolutely vital, the visuals and sounds just NAIL the feel of war cinema. I actually feel like a BAD PERSON when I give a dumb order and watch my little rifle dudes scream as suppression fire reduces them to so much bloody, twitching hamburger. :(

Also, THE RUSH GAME IS DEAD, FOLKS. No more massing and mini-map clicking, at least in this game. You gotta actually LEARN THE TERRAIN and KNOW YOUR COMPANIES. OMG!

Yeah, I've sent a column of armor into a crowded city square only to have German AT guns (with faster rates of fire than my tanks) chew up my expensive costly tanks. :(

I love how artillery and mortars work in this game too. GOTY!

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Batongen said:
Radion 9700 pro
AMD XP 2600+
1024 DDR ram.

Why do people ask this instead of just downloading the demo and seeing for themselves...

chespace

Drinky Crow said:
Hey Che, sorry I didn't get a game up with you last night -- I tried a game with MAF and White Man and the choppiness made it a real bear. That's really my one complaint -- the lag strategy is really annoying. I've played AoE3 and RoL with them and we didn't have any of these issues, nor did we have a stupid kick dialog popping up in our faces every few seconds. The lag issues really hurt tank and HG micro -- they really need some predictive heuristics when turning a tank or a howitzer and lag is detected.

Uh, network lag? Or framerate issues?

You guys installed the new patch, right?

That's weird that the network code is laggy/buggy. Oh well, single player will last me a while yet.

Trasher

I've played some awesome single player missions. So far I love the campaign, and I love how challenging it is. My favorite mission so far is the mission where you get to do an airborne night assault on a V2 German missile base. During this mission you get the ability to send P-52 airstrikes down on the enemy, which is very satisfying. I can't wait to finish the campaign so I can check out the multiplayer.

We need to make an official CoH thread(or just use this one..)!

Top Bottom