• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GOTY: Company of Heroes

DarrenS

Downloaded the (old) demo based on the comments in this thread and I have to say that I really like it.

Not quite sure why I like this above everything else but everything feels just right. Nice graphics, intuitive controls, smart AI (I think) so you don't need to micromanage and well produced.

May well pick up the full game and, who knows, this may even replace Warzone 2100 as the greatest RTS of all time

winalot

I also just played the SP beta on the recommendation of this thread, thought it was great.
I'm not a big strategy fan and have played very few but I know I like this. The only thing is I suck at them so bad I don't know if I'd enjoy paying to get my ass handed to me.
It ran a lot better than I expected on my rig after reading some of the previous comments too :)

Srider

Banned
Hmmm... this new optimized Single Player demo is not running as well as the Single Player beta on my machine...

I'll play with the graphic settings to see if that helps.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Hey Bish-

Do you know what rev the demo skirmish AI code is? It seems like Normal level AI in the latest Multiplayer Beta was way harder than it is in the single player demo.

In the beta, I was regularly getting my butt kicked by normal level AI. I'd win about 1 in 3 matches against it. In the demo, I'm winning very easily against it. I get about 250-0 victories as the allies, and just crush them as germans... usually 490-0 (and I've only played the german side twice before getting this demo).

mrwilt

Multiplayer beta wouldn't work with my card (Quadro4 750xgl) - bish knows about it. Downloaded the single player demo and everything seems to work except I can't see any of the 3D stuff. :lol

The GUI shows up and I can even see the icons for the units on screen during the tutorial level, but I don't see any of the environment or armies - it's just a black screen. Audio works fine, too. I had the same problem with the GRAW demo. Perhaps it's a driver issue?

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
uh...update your drivers? /uselesstechsupport

As far as any AI changes go - the SP demo was locked awhile ago, while the beta has received continuous tweaks, so there's your explanation. Wait until you get to the later SP missions, the AI is without mercy at the higher difficulty levels.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
bishoptl said:
As far as any AI changes go - the SP demo was locked awhile ago, while the beta has received continuous tweaks, so there's your explanation. Wait until you get to the later SP missions, the AI is without mercy at the higher difficulty levels.

Ah. That's definately it then. I just did a 1000-0 victory over German Normal AI. I thought I was getting really good...

Srider

Banned
bish, so is it confirmed that the new optimized demo is not as updated as the most current multiplayer beta?

I see on relicnews that it is confirmed that the new SP demo doesn't run well with SLI systems. I'm getting horrible performance compared to the multiplayer beta.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Srider, you're correct. Running the beta means continual updates, which the final product will be the beneficiary of. The SP demo had to be locked down at sometime - so a lot of the improvements didn't make it in. Just how development works.

You'll see next week. :D

Wollan

Just played the demo. This is very impressive for a RTS. I didn't expect it to bring my pc to it's knees though(3.4ghz P4, 2GB ram, 256mb 6800 GS) however I set it to a setting that seems to work fine.

The first time I saw a real explosion I got a big grin. The destruction is awesome. And even trees and stuff get hacked down piece for piece. I haven't played enough yet to determine but the focus seems to be much on the offensive action. I'm impressed.

Wollan said:
Just played the demo. This is very impressive for a RTS. I didn't expect it to bring my pc to it's knees though(3.4ghz P4, 2GB ram, 256mb 6800 GS) however I set it to a setting that seems to work fine.

The first time I saw a real explosion I got a big grin. The destruction is awesome. And even trees and stuff get hacked down piece for piece. I haven't played enough yet to determine but the focus seems to be much on the offensive action. I'm impressed.

Myeah defending doesnt work too well, especially when youre a german. That US howitzer is just too bad ass.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
One thing I'm noticing is that riflemen squads are utterly useless, nobody uses them at all. Since your basic builder unit can take territory there really isn't any purpose for making baseline infantry. This is a pretty drastic difference from DOW where builders couldn't take territory and were largely defenseless, whereas Engineers actually hold up decently in a fight.

Not sure I'm fond of this to be honest.

GashPrex

NeoGaf-Gold™ Member
I love the game but online its been turning into tank wars. Very complicated tanks wars, with all sorts of variables - but always coming down to tanks. Maybe not a bad thing but that tank AI can be VERY FUSTRATING

No I don't want you TO SURGE FORWARD AFTER THE 1 SOLDIER SO YOU EXPOSE YOUR WEAK ASS ARMOR TO THE 84. STOP ****ING MOVING STOP MOVING, <Presses H Fursiously> HOLY SHIT ATTACK THE LARGE TANK YOU BASTARD. STOP FIRING AT THE OBSERVATION POST!! WAIT where are my other 5 tanks going???? I said attack not run around and expose your backsides...I thought you were ****ing elite crews, I paid a ton of fuel for this???!!!!! <watches tanks explode>

Still love the game though, can be a little fustrating....Had some like 1.5 to 2 hour matches

Riflemen aren't too useful early, but the Allies with those sticky bombs such a pain...sticking a heavy machine gun crew in a building works till THOSE ****ING Snipers come by

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
EB has free overnight shipping on this right now- check the upper right graphic on the front page.

Enter coupon code COHS when checking out and select USA overnight.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Schafer said:
One thing I'm noticing is that riflemen squads are utterly useless, nobody uses them at all. Since your basic builder unit can take territory there really isn't any purpose for making baseline infantry. This is a pretty drastic difference from DOW where builders couldn't take territory and were largely defenseless, whereas Engineers actually hold up decently in a fight.

Infantry with upgraded weapons, sticky bombs and grenades are very very useful. They'll destroy engineer/pioneer units in the later game.

DMczaf

WasabiKing said:
Fry's will have the game on sale for $40, both versions! (odds are the dvd version will be more)

If I do get it, I'm heading to Fry's. Saw the deal in the paper today.

I played online for a few hours late last night. Nice amount of depth, and the gameplay remained real fun in the transition over from single-player.

I'm enjoying infantry a lot with the Airborne battlegear or whatever it's labeled in CoH. With how morale and getting "pinned down" works in combinations with stark some counter units are, the cheap fly-over scout plane is real nice to make sure I send in the right units. Being able to drop in Airborne Rangers constantly is nice too, albeit a bit expensive perhaps.

I want to try out tanks more tonight. I went tanks with the Axis once and I got absolutely slaughtered by very long range rockets, so I want to see how those work out.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Schafer said:

Haven't tried the axis yet, but from an allied POV:

Upgraded riflemen are versatile and relatively inexpensive. Grenades are great for clearing buildings, the BAR's pinning function will immediately take pressure off and turn the tide of an infantry fight, and a microed riflemen with sticky bombs can take out a tank with few losses. Also note that they're very worthwhile for breaking off into specialty squads when you have heavy weapons on the ground. Riflemen squads are 6 man so they won't dissolve completely when you break for a weapon pickup, and they only cost 22 per man to reinforce back to full strength (as opposed to using engineers which will convert entirely and dissolve the original squad, not as good of a value).

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
gonna pick this up tommorow. got a little discouraged getting my ass kicked online, but it's too good of a game to not try to get better at. plus, plowing through single player should be great fun as well.

Ryu

Gamespot - 8.9

I've been playing the Carantan mission once per day every day since the demo came out. It's just so awesome. I love perfecting that Church defense at the end and establishing one of the best defenses on the resource points across the bridges. It's just so versatile. I can't wait to pick it up today.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
IGN gave it a 9.4.

It has a 93% Gamerankings score at the moment with 6 reviews in.

I can't believe more people aren't talking about this game. Granted, it's not Harvest Moon 9, but you'd think this forum would have at least some love for it.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
FlyinJ said:
I can't believe more people aren't talking about this game. Granted, it's not Harvest Moon 9, but you'd think this forum would have at least some love for it.

It's a PC game, hence 98% of GAF will ignore it's existance.

I will be picking it up after work today and playing it tonight so I will give it some love tomorrow. :D

Oh, and just for Bish, MOTH!

2nd mission in campaign ROCKS! Wow bish, the folks at Relic really did a good job at making the missions interesting, and going from offense to defense. Great great fun.

BTW, highly disappointed at the bonus in DVD limited edition. :(

Aye I'm excited about seeing the transition between the two or defensive maps in general. The second map for the single-player beta was a real fun defensive map. One of my favorite since the Strahnbrad defense in Warcraft III (Human 4 or 5). The cover systems in general support that sort of gameplay really well.

This game rocks. I got to the third mission last night and was pleasantly suprised to see that I had to
take over the church and town center myself
before getting to the part included in the single player demo. The flow of the second mission was stellar.

Safe Bet

Banned
FlyinJ said:
If I had a PC that could run it, I'd be playing it...

I don't..

:(

storybook77 said:
The flow of the second mission was stellar.
I'm just happy that the missions actually CHANGE objectives, and they are with reason. I've found that other games had you running in stealth, and if you were spotted, you were ****ed, but suddenly you could kick the shit out everyone. WTF. This worked really well, empty areas out, take over, defend.

Voice over work was pretty good, and several recognizable people if you listen to anime dubs. Love the chatter.

Schafer said:

Rifleman squads own if you upgrade their BAR rifles. They can do suppressing fire which immediatly scares the shit out of the axis infantry squads, they can do sticky bombs, and they can do a grenade attack that is devastating. The only good thing about engineers is you can give them a flamethrower (costs a decent amount of munitions to do this) they make a good addition to your squad but they aren't better than the rifleman, especially sans flamethrower

Plus if you choose to go down the infantry path you get ranger squads which are really good

WasabiKing said:
I'm just happy that the missions actually CHANGE objectives, and they are with reason. I've found that other games had you running in stealth, and if you were spotted, you were ****ed, but suddenly you could kick the shit out everyone. WTF. This worked really well, empty areas out, take over, defend.

Voice over work was pretty good, and several recognizable people if you listen to anime dubs. Love the chatter.
Yeah the game is great, I still haven't gotten over how good it looks especially all the little details, like the emotional change on the faces of your troops depending on whats happening. Crazy stuff to see in an rts.
finished up the red ball express, and I'm just gonna say that Shermans + Chain Flail vs infantry = fun, fun, fun.

Ryu said:
Gamespot - 8.9

I've been playing the Carantan mission once per day every day since the demo came out. It's just so awesome. I love perfecting that Church defense at the end and establishing one of the best defenses on the resource points across the bridges. It's just so versatile. I can't wait to pick it up today.

Gamespot Just bumped up its review to 9.0. They made a mistake regarding some bug.

Didn't read the details...but it was posted on the game's board on gamefaqs/gamespot.

I think they posted the reasons for the change on gamespot as well.

Srider

Banned
bigmit3737 said:
Gamespot Just bumped up its review to 9.0. They made a mistake regarding some bug.

Didn't read the details...but it was posted on the game's board on gamefaqs/gamespot.

I think they posted the reasons for the change on gamespot as well.

You guys really believe that shit? More like $$$$ rather than a mistake. 8.9 was utterly ridiculous in the first place.

Scrow said:
does this RTS have resource management and tech-trees?

It has resources but no harvesting or collecting. You have to capture strategic points on the map in order to gain resources as part of a "supply line". I haven't made much progress to comment on the tech-tree but the special abilities like artillery are gained in a tech-tree type manner from what I can tell.

Ryu

I've been enjoying this thoroughly as well. What's interesting to me will be how the first half of the Carantan mission worked out when I beat it. A lot of the defense I had worked out in the demo for the second half depended on buildings that are now completely blown apart by me from taking down axis troops. That dynamic aspect is really impressive in my opinion.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Srider said:
You guys really believe that shit? More like $$$$ rather than a mistake. 8.9 was utterly ridiculous in the first place.
Excuse me? Moneyhats for the win, jackass.

Top Bottom