• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GOTY: Company of Heroes

Trasher

chespace said:
I'm on the Hill 192 mission now and it is fun as hell.

I wish this game had a mode where you could turn off tanks and artillery to focus solely on just infantry combat. That's where this game really shines, imo.

Nothing like getting 3 squads to converge on a machine gun next and flanking it with diversion tactics and mortar suppression.

Love it!
I loved that mission until I played the even better Hill 317 mission. All you get on this mission is infantry, and the Germans get tanks and everything else. You have to hold the hill for 30minutes, and it was intense the whole time. I barely pulled that one out. Man, I love this game! Can't wait for multiplayer. :)

beat the game last night, Awesome game will probally play again on a harder setting sometime...

my only tiny little gripe is that the conclusion.. felt anti climatic..

maybe that was just becuase I didn't want it to end..

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Trasher said:
I loved that mission until I played the even better Hill 317 mission. All you get on this mission is infantry, and the Germans get tanks and everything else. You have to hold the hill for 30minutes, and it was intense the whole time. I barely pulled that one out. Man, I love this game! Can't wait for multiplayer. :)

You want to play some tonight? Or are you too busy killing brain cells on a Friday night like most college folks? :D

Let's do some co-op!

Ferrio

Banned
I'm starting to feel at home as the Germans. I love the Terror tree, Propaganda has to be my favorite skill.

Also my multiplayer stats never update, which is a damn shame.

Ferrio - have you played any ranked automatches? I think the system records all of your 'basic games', but for some reason doesn't display them in your stats until you actually join the full rankings table by recording an automatch score. If you've already done that, though, then I'm not sure what's wrong.

chespace

Anyone up for a game tonight?

Not immediately, but later tonight. I still need to eat and shit (no not literally).

well CoH is out in 3 days in the UK and gameplay are giving away Dawn of war game of the year edition FREEEEEEEEEEEE with it. Awesome, preordered over a month ago so I should get that.

Anyone else have trouble getting the PC Gamer demo to run? Mine loads, then I get about half way into the tutorial and the game (and my computer) freeze. I've got a nVidia 7900GT, 1GB RAM, and an Athlon FX-57, so my rig should be powerful enough to run this thing... anyone else have issues?

Hopefully the full game won't have the same problem, b/c if the tutorial is this cool...

argh I like the game but the unit ai is making me angry

why do tanks not cover their rear better? why do they sometimes just run up to enemy tanks for a kiss then start shooting?

why when a tank is shelling an AT does it not move or turn towards the tank

and maybe I missed it but is there like some "patrol here" aggressive defensive etc options im not seeing for the units?

chespace

Problem I'm having with this game is that it is quickly turning into a race for tanks, then spam. I guess I just suck. I'm practicing skirmish and getting my ass skewered because I can't seem to build tanks fast enough. Need to perfect my tank building.

And then there's the insane amount of micromanagement in this game.

If you don't tell your units to not suck, they may very well suck.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
chespace said:
Problem I'm having with this game is that it is quickly turning into a race for tanks, then spam. I guess I just suck. I'm practicing skirmish and getting my ass skewered because I can't seem to build tanks fast enough. Need to perfect my tank building.

And then there's the insane amount of micromanagement in this game.

If you don't tell your units to not suck, they may very well suck.

If your opponent is focusing on tanks, focus on tank counters. Use tank traps with anti tank cannons behind them and you can hold off tons of tanks with only a small expenditure of resources, especially Nazi tanks which don't seem to have a bulldozer to knock tank traps down.

Srider

Banned
Do people not know that you can build infantries with panzerfausts??

I mean.. two grenadiers equipped with panzerfaust basically takes out a tank or a building in about 5 seconds.

usea

I've also been frustrated with unit AI in this game, but it's not so bad that it makes me want to stop playing. It's a really fun game. I've yet to play online though.

God dammit crashing constantly like in the alpha demo. This game doesn't like my pc. Crashed 3 times so far. First on the main menu I didn't even click anything. Second just after the cutscene for mission 2. Third just after saving baker company on mission 2.

Pissed off.

No.1

I've had problems with the positioning of some AI. I order units to go into a trence or bunker, but there's always one or two that they don't into it. Besides that, I'm absolutely loving this game. The missions, the tactics and the combat is just damn fun. Haven't tried multiplayer yet, but I'd imagine how insane it could get.

Probably my favourite PC game of the year so far. And I can't really see it getting beaten by much else than WoW: BC or Dark Messiah. Trust Relic to show the industry how to make a real war-based RTS game :D

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Im stuck on the second hill 192 mission, i got my ass kinda kicked in the first one so i had virutally nothing left by the end, now the bloody 88's are pwning me every time i take a point.

MrPing1000 said:
well CoH is out in 3 days in the UK and gameplay are giving away Dawn of war game of the year edition FREEEEEEEEEEEE with it. Awesome, preordered over a month ago so I should get that.

Yeah, I bought my copy at play.com (with Dawn of War). Still havent received it though, shipping stuff to Holland takes em about 6-7 days on average.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Ahhh, did it, took the Airbourne commander and just kept dropping paratroopers & anti-tanks on each point (and 88) untill it was secured :lol Im such a bastard general.

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
MrPing1000 said:
God dammit crashing constantly like in the alpha demo. This game doesn't like my pc. Crashed 3 times so far. First on the main menu I didn't even click anything. Second just after the cutscene for mission 2. Third just after saving baker company on mission 2.

Pissed off.

very strange, indeed. I've tried it on several PC's and it's rock solid, from the demo to the final game. I've played about a total of 40 hours so far and zero crashes. Keep plugging away, man, you'll figure it out.

This game intrigues me, but the only RTS I've played have been Commandos 2: MOH and Rome:TW. I really enjoyed Commandos, is this game anything like that? Are you directing individual soldiers in battle, or is it more like Rome where you are moving larger units about and the individuals fight according to the AI?

Also, can you save anytime, or do you have to complete a battle first, and how long does tha average battle take?

Karg

Lucky Forward said:
This game intrigues me, but the only RTS I've played have been Commandos 2: MOH and Rome:TW. I really enjoyed Commandos, is this game anything like that? Are you directing individual soldiers in battle, or is it more like Rome where you are moving larger units about and the individuals fight according to the AI?

Also, can you save anytime, or do you have to complete a battle first, and how long does tha average battle take?

Its in between as far as size of the units. Squad sized control.

You can save anytime and crap.....avarage battle for me has been like an hour at least?

Karg said:
Its in between as far as size of the units. Squad sized control.

You can save anytime and crap.....avarage battle for me has been like an hour at least?
Thanks! I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to get into three hour battles where I can only save at the end.

*runs off to Best Buy*

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
There is no option for anisotropic filtering and teh clear cutoff between good looking areas on the screen and bad looking is very apparent such that it looks like it is not even using tri-linear. Even on high and ultra texture settings. Am I missing something?

elostyle said:
There is no option for anisotropic filtering and teh clear cutoff between good looking areas on the screen and bad looking is very apparent such that it looks like it is not even using tri-linear. Even on high and ultra texture settings. Am I missing something?
Just brute force it via your display driver.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
You'd assume correctly. I'm working on it right now. No, I'm not providing an ETA for delivery, it'll be out when it's out. :)

Decided to pick this up the other day. Not an experienced RTSer but I've been meaning to get into the genre for awhile, figured I'd give this a shot with all the glowing reviews. Messing around with the skirmish mode at the moment and having a blast just learning the game (and getting my ass kicked). The dynamic, destructable environments are very very impressive.

Wish my rig could handle it a bit better (A64 3500+, 6800GT, 2gigs ram). The biggest performance killer seems to be the trees in the game, whenever the camera pans over a clump of forest I lose like 20 fps. Everything else including the intensive particle fx seem to run really well. Tried bumping trees to low but not much improvement. Any tips, maybe change LOD or something?

shpankey

not an idiot
elostyle said:
use your driver control panel to force it

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
hukasmokincaterpillar said:
Decided to pick this up the other day. Not an experienced RTSer but I've been meaning to get into the genre for awhile, figured I'd give this a shot with all the glowing reviews. Messing around with the skirmish mode at the moment and having a blast just learning the game (and getting my ass kicked). The dynamic, destructable environments are very very impressive.

Wish my rig could handle it a bit better (A64 3500+, 6800GT, 2gigs ram). The biggest performance killer seems to be the trees in the game, whenever the camera pans over a clump of forest I lose like 20 fps. Everything else including the intensive particle fx seem to run really well. Tried bumping trees to low but not much improvement. Any tips, maybe change LOD or something?

Shadows by far are the biggest performance killer, turn them to medium or low and you'll get a big performance boost. Honestly try the automatic settings and see what that does for you, I get 37 fps off the systems automatically detected settings (plus I turn on AA) and my system isn't overly different from yours (p4 3.4, Radeon X850XT, 2 gig RAM).

I just don't get it. I played the demo and I found this game to be just another very generic RTS, albeit with very nice graphics and physics. Funny how it has just about every WW2 cliche scene from Saving Private Ryan too. The "strategy" part still seems to revolve around building as much shit as fast as you can and swarming the enemy time after time, untill you get lucky. I just never found that stuff fun. The RTS genre has progressed less than even the FPS' over all these years, although there were exceptions, such as Ground Control and the Dungeon Keeper series. Well, looks like CoH is doing very well, so I guess I have to look forward to more generic RTS' and cliche-ridden WW2 games. :<

chespace

bishoptl said:
There's always one. :|

Building and swarming will *not* work, btw.

Unless we're talking about tanks... because then it works very well. :)

chespace said:
Unless we're talking about tanks... because then it works very well. :)
depends on who you are playing against
Axis flak panzer rush works well against inexperienced allied player, but if they know how to set up their ATs then it will fail miserably.

Lapsed

Banned
BabyWookie said:
I just don't get it. I played the demo and I found this game to be just another very generic RTS, albeit with very nice graphics and physics. Funny how it has just about every WW2 cliche scene from Saving Private Ryan too. The "strategy" part still seems to revolve around building as much shit as fast as you can and swarming the enemy time after time, untill you get lucky. I just never found that stuff fun. The RTS genre has progressed less than even the FPS' over all these years, although there were exceptions, such as Ground Control and the Dungeon Keeper series. Well, looks like CoH is doing very well, so I guess I have to look forward to more generic RTS' and cliche-ridden WW2 games. :<

QFT.

I'm a RTS whore but I'm skipping this game. I am sick to death of WW2.

Every RTS should come to consoles nowadays. I honestly believe this after having played EA's Lord of the Rings RTS on the 360. It has turned me into a console RTS NUT.

Leave no RTS behind!

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
For some reason, the game doesn't register when I try to select a unit A LOT. I move my mouse over the unit, the light blue ring shows up and then I click but it doesn't actually select the unit. By the time I realize that I have already given order to a unit to move accross the map through enemy lines.
No one? It's kinda killing the game for me -_-

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
BabyWookie said:
Are you playing online or single player? RTS is a dumb genre for single player and doesn't compare to when it's played online.

Top Bottom