• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GOTY: EARTH DEFENSE FORCE 2

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Ok, temptation is building here... this is doing a good job of flying under pretty much all UK game/electronic store radars, especially if it's coming out tomorrow!

Anyone got any more info, regardless of how brief?

Oh, and where have you folks been picking up the Japanese version?

duckroll

B-Genius said:
Ok, temptation is building here... this is doing a good job of flying under pretty much all UK game/electronic store radars, especially if it's coming out tomorrow!

Anyone got any more info, regardless of how brief?

Can't help you there, but if you can find it, get it and give us PAL impressions! :D

Oh, and where have you folks been picking up the Japanese version?

I got mine from Play-Asia here. :D

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Ah, thanks a lot (didn't try searching that name on Play-Asia) =)

I'll search around random stores and online over the next couple of weeks. If it's a no-go then it'll have to be an import, as this looks like a great budget pickup. Got a couple of mates who I'm sure would appreciate some insane Japanese co-op carnage!

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
jiji said:
Note to PAL gamers: this is coming out tomorrow (!) in Europe as "Monster Attack: Invasion." I can only find reference to it on a few Dutch sites, right now, but it's coming.

Are you sure it's the 2nd game though? I remember hearing something about the first game making it's way to Europe, or maybe that has already happened? If it is the 2nd game though, I would buy it again (already own the Japanese version) if it's released at a decent price. :D

EDIT:

OK, did some checking and realized Agetec released the first game in Europe a year ago. I only found Invasion on Dutch sites as well, and I couldn't even find the game on the publisher's site (505 Street). What's up with that?

Kiriku said:
Are you sure it's the 2nd game though? I remember hearing something about the first game making it's way to Europe, or maybe that has already happened? If it is the 2nd game though, I would buy it again (already own the Japanese version) if it's released at a decent price. :D
Here is a list of all the Simple 2000 games released in Europe and from what publisher.

Kiriku said:

EDIT:

OK, did some checking and realized Agetec released the first game in Europe a year ago. I only found Invasion on Dutch sites as well, and I couldn't even find the game on the publisher's site (505 Street). What's up with that?

I think the first reference I came across to it being released by 505 is here: http://fuji.drillspirits.net/simple/?series=2000 But I feel like I might have seen it elsewhere around the same time. I don't know why I can't find any reference to it but on .nl sites now. 505 really need to update their site.

Vieo said:
Does this game have a U.S. release?
Not yet. I don't think anybody has even tried to bring it over yet - they don't want to waste the expense of preparing it for SCEA approval when it would probably just get blocked. We might see it here after the PS3 hits.

bloke

jiji said:
Note to PAL gamers: this is coming out tomorrow (!) in Europe as "Monster Attack: Invasion." I can only find reference to it on a few Dutch sites, right now, but it's coming.
Strange indeed, it's only listed at dutch webshops.

duckroll

WOOO HOOOO!!!! 62 fucking missions down! YEAH BABY!

The tunnel mission with the armored ball bugs was really tough and gave me problems a few days ago, but a little still in strafe dodging and proper aiming with the rocket launcher eventually did them in.

The mission with the GIANT bomber UFOs was so goddamn awesome except for the fact that when the GIANT bomber was bombing at full force and you're right under it the game ran at like 1fps. In fact, if it's possible I bet it ran at NEGATIVE frames per second. :lol

The mission after that with the ball bugs, fighter UFOs and super tripods all with the floating alien city ship above you firing away = FUCKING EPIC! Its stages like this that are what EDF2 is all about. ^_^

Man, MECHA GODZILLA! This game has made my day. What was more hilarious was that eventually I figured out you could do massive damage if you aimed and hit it at the top of its head when it bent over to fire missiles, but when he was near death, he did it when he was right in front of me, and I fired away. The missiles he fired came at full force and KILLED me, but after I died the missile I fired HIT him and finished him off. The mission didn't end as I expected but he collapsed and I actually CLEARED the mission post-motem. I guess it's true, you're just playing an easily replacable EDF soldier and the only important objective is completing the missions! :lol

Tsubaki

<tsu> I don't get how people can call this GOTY. It's not even particularly decent. The camera fights against me. I want to shoot down, but the window jerks up. It seems redundant that...

<jiji> make sure you change the control layout to technique

<tsu> ? ok.

<tsu> oh.

bloke

B000FI4HB0.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

£9.99 July 28th
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000FI4HB0

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
^ No way hosay! Is that definately it, not the original?

... if so, why am I still tempted by the Japanese version :lol

BenT

B-Genius said:
^ No way hosay! Is that definately it, not the original?

... if so, why am I still tempted by the Japanese version :lol
Cuz it's NTSC instead of PAL, probably.

Who the hell are Essential Games? Never heard of 'em. I thought for sure 505 GameStreet would be the ones to publish the PAL version, and screw it with cover art of an old man taking a dump on the moon or something.

shuri

Banned
I just got to level 36. I have had one of those HOLY SHIT gaming moment when i saw the new giant mothership appearing and starting shooting at teh city. Those new t-shaped spaceships are AWESOME!

This game would be perfect if the framerate was better. Level 36 is GORGEOUS

Orobi

Could someone please help me? I'm stucked at level 7 :___(
Could someone upload a savegame in order to see other levels? jap version of course!
Many thnks to u all :)

bloke

There's some countdown with &#22320;&#29699;&#21040;&#30528;&#12414;&#12391;&#12354;&#12392;&#12539;&#12539;&#12539; txt (earth something?) above on D3 page, EDFX info next week possibly, http://www.d3p.co.jp/
And PAL version of EDF2 is now set for late September.

Finaika

Eh, I just played this a couple of days ago based on NeoGAF's recommendations, and uhhh its kinda ok. The framerate's really jerky, and the walking speed of both the guy and the gal is too slow imo. I felt rather nauseous playing it too.

Just played until level 5 though (that underground one). Still haven't tried co-op... hopefully it gets better :D

icecream

Public Health Threat
&#22320;&#29699;&#21040;&#36948;&#12414;&#12391;&#12354;&#12392;

Arriving at earth in...

It could be EDF360 :)

Aaron

Finaika said:
Eh, I just played this a couple of days ago based on NeoGAF's recommendations, and uhhh its kinda ok. The framerate's really jerky, and the walking speed of both the guy and the gal is too slow imo. I felt rather nauseous playing it too.

Just played until level 5 though (that underground one). Still haven't tried co-op... hopefully it gets better :D
You're not supposed to walk much. With the guy, you roll. With the girl, you fly. Wait until you get some crazy weapons and have more experience with how the whole game comes together, which you'll need to tackle the harder levels.

I find any of the girl's Laser Lance (or the Bursting Lance) weapons work very well, but the range is very short. This can be a good thing though, as if you miss the center, the reflection won't have the range to get back to you.

My friend and I have been playing the game co-op for over 60 hours now, and we're still getting new weapons. Level 17 and Level 51 on Hardest/Inferno are good short levels to get new weapons.

EDF 2 is one of my top ten games, ever.

I used some sorta red lazer and it didn't affect them one bit. I just used the guy and marksmanned some bazooka shots.

I wish I owned a publishing company, America needs this game and not just the 360 prettier but on foot version.

Does anyone know the total number of weapons in EDF 2?
I have 141 for the girl and 126 for the dude and I know I'm still missing a few.

My playtime is up to 77 hours now, beaten every level on Easy, Normal, Hard, half on Hardest, and 20 or so on Inferno. You get a new weapon for beating every level on one difficulty with each character.

Some of the top weapons are just too awesome, the MONSTER-S sniper rifle, which uses up all the girl's energy but dishes out 18,000 damage; the dude's GLauncher-UM-XA, four shots which hit for 2000 with a 20m blast; or his (I assume) best sniper rifle (can't remember the name, ends with a Z) which hits for 5500, but my favorite is the girl's short range Master Rapier T which annihilates everything in its path (ie: kills Level 67 giant Godzilla in under 15 seconds ON INFERNO), with a massive 36,000 damage PER SECOND.

Top Bottom