• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GOTY: Elden Ring or God Of War Ragnarök: Avatar bet

Who takes home the 2022 GOTY?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Vick

97 is outdated score, it's 95
It's actually 96 for the PS5 version.
But it only got 84 reviews vs a whopping 126 for Ragnarok, that's basically 50 additional reviews. With a similar number of entries the game was 95.

95.png

Still, doesn't mean much. Just leave the fanboys be.

Last edited:

Thief1987

It's actually 96 for the PS5 version.
But it only got 84 reviews vs a whopping 126 for Ragnarok, that's basically 50 additional reviews. With a similar number of entries the game was 95.

95.png

Still, doesn't mean much. Just leave the fanboys be.
Or 94 for pc version. For multiplatform titles it's reasonable to use opencritic as they are not separating by platforms.

kyliethicc

Rules

• Votes are publicly available
  • You CAN NOT change your vote
  • Voters are able to suggest losers' avatar
  • Only participants (voters) are able to make avatar suggestions
  • Honorable judges will pick and make available a pool of the suggested avatars for losers to use
  • Losers' avatar should be changed upon losing the bet
  • Avatars must be used until 12:01am 1/1/2023
  • OP won't participate in order to be unbiased in avatar selection. His vote is only to be able to see voters list.
  • BY VOTING YOU ARE PARTICIPATING IN THE BET
  • NO OTHER GOTY CONTENDERS WILL BE CONSIDERED
  • AVATAR BET IS VOIDED IF NEITHER WIN
  • VIDEO GAME AWARDS ON DECEMBER 8th (Hosted by Geoff Keighley)

The avatar bet thread for GOW:R was such fun, I thought, why not create another one?

(Shoutout to .Pennywise for the excellent thread template)

the goty award ... at what award show?

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
The narrative for Elden Ring is original and much harder to pull off than God of War.
Just like with Bloodborne before it, I agree.

These games give you sense of entering a truly other world, with an overwhelming tone of danger of strangeness that is unlike anything else.

The GOW franchise is more like a typical TV show or movie plot. It's not where gaming should go... gaming sucks at movie plots and should go the exact opposite direction, move hard into environmental storytelling and let devs stop fooling themselves, even the highest budget games would make B-tier movies at best if you play them on a screen without a controller.

The Stig

Not voting but I just want to register how weird it is that people are fighting over this GOTY stuff. The games aren't even similar.

Also as a veteran of the true great console war (SNES/Megadrive) it's depressing watching people get tribal over which console they own.

Madflavor

Elden Ring. GoW:R is more of the same, but a bit better. That's a great thing btw. But Elden Ring was one of those generation defining games. It landed in the gaming scene like a fucking meteor, and it's impact cannot be denied. As great as GoW:R is, people will play it and then move on. Elden Ring will still be played and discussed for years to come, and the gaming community will collectively lose their shit when the trailer for the sequel hits.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
After playing only an hour of GoW, it will be ER, though I generally hate soulslikes. Maybe GoW will click and suck me in, but ER had great exploration just shitty gameplay and story outside of that that effectively just made the game a chore after 40 or so hours.

fart town usa

Gold Member
I've never played GOW 2018 and don't plan on playing Ragnarok so please discard my opinion but Elden Ring is the GOTY. The game is just absolutely brilliant with its exploration, coop, PvP, etc. GOW looks polished beyond belief but I just don't see at all how it can rival what it offers when compared directly to ER.

ER is near endless with things to discover. I've put in almost 200 hours of pure gameplay and still find all kinds of areas and items I overlooked. It's straight up an 11/10 game.

Orpheum

Elden ring was good but i didn't enjoy it nearly as much as other Fromsoft titles. I've only been able to play the intro from GoW ragnarök but this shit slapped so hard that if the rest of the game is better than the first one, i have to go with God of war here

Boss Man

Ragnarok so far is just a God of War (2018) expansion with training wheels on.

Elden Ring was a proper evolution of a series that has created its own genre. It was an international phenomenon and will heavily influence other games throughout the rest of this generation.

Ragnarok will probably win GOTY though and everyone knows why.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I enjoyed Elden Ring and currently enjoying GOWR but for me personally Bayonetta 3 is my GOTY but if we are talking about VGA shows I guess it going to be between Elden Ring and GOWR.

fart town usa

Gold Member
It's not that hard to rival a 7/10 game, you know. And if you haven't played GOW your opinion is disqualified, sorry.
7/10 for ER is a bait reply but to each their own.

FWIW, I didn't play GOW 2018 because Kratos, to me at least, is arguably one of the most irritating characters in all of gaming history. I know the new games address that directly but it's still not enough to make me interested. I have no interest in father/son melodrama when the character was awful to begin with.

Thief1987

7/10 for ER is a bait reply but to each their own.

FWIW, I didn't play GOW 2018 because Kratos, to me at least, is arguably one of the most irritating characters in all of gaming history. I know the new games address that directly but it's still not enough to make me interested. I have no interest in father/son melodrama when the character was awful to begin with.
It's not a bait, it's my opinion. I played, finished and platinumed this game, so it's perfectly valid. Contrary to your "don't know how GOW can surpass it". And, mind you, i still never said that GOW is better, because i played very little of it. I'm only arguing with indusputability of Elden Ring's "victory".

fart town usa

Gold Member
It's not a bait, it's my opinion. I played, finished and platinumed this game, so it's perfectly valid. Contrary to your "don't know how GOW can surpass it". And, mind you, i still never said that GOW is better, because i played very little of it. I'm only arguing with indusputability of Elden Ring's "victory".
fair enough, can't argue with that.

Keanu Reeves Reaction GIF

Top Bottom