• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gov. Mike Pence won't pardon wrongfully convicted man (Up: Eric Holcomb pardons)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mr2xxx

Banned
Pence is a horrible human being but what about the judge?

After the new evidence was revealed — which included testing on a hat left at the scene by the suspected assailant that did not include Cooper’s DNA — the judge offered Cooper a deal to be re-sentenced and be released with time served. By accepting this deal, Cooper withdrew a post-conviction relief petition attempting to have his conviction vacated. Cooper and his attorneys claim that when this petition was withdrawn, it prevented him from moving forward with his request to have his conviction thrown out by the court.

Could the judge have offered a better deal in the first place or was he too just a asshole?

Kronotech

How could Pence think this wouldn't affect him negatively in this election? If I were a VP for a Pres candidate who has an overwhelming negative reputation, I would do my damndest to try and counter that balance.

Dai101

Banned

7MKka.gif

CHC

Good ending to this story, I guess, but way too fucking late.

Fuck Pence. I hope I live long enough to see him wither and die.

Sad that we are to applaud people doing the bare minimum. For doing what they're supposed to fucking do. For doing what is so obviously morally obligatory.

Why even allow his life to be fucked with further after you KNOW he's been wrongfully imprisoned?

I just can't.

What movie is this from? Looks so familiar.

Rudy.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0108002/

Brakke

Banned
Always get scared when a thread like this bumps. Figure it'll be "dude died in custody" or something. Pleasantly surprised here.

Dai101

Banned
Wait. Your government do not clear records for wrongfully convicted personals when they are release? Why?!

Because american society don't believe in second chances. Jails are for punishment not rehabilitation nor reintegration, besides, only bad people go to jail anyway.

I forgot all about this thread and thought it was recent until I saw my post on the first page. Finally some good news and Pence is still shit.

Glad to hear this guy got his pardon!

Since I've moved to Fort Wayne, I keep hearing... not necessarily good things, but at least reasonable ones about the new (republican) legislature and Holcomb on the local NPR affiliate. There appears to be a new strain of not-complete-awfulness here. Idk.

Glad he finally got some modicum of justice, but it still blows my mind that this is a thing. The state should be bending over backwards and jumping through hoops to make your life as cozy as possible after falsely imprisoning you for ten years.

This is good news. I'm from Indiana and was really really leery of Holcomb. The dude had 0 experience and was only Lt. Governor for a few months before Pence got the Trump call. He ran against a dem named John Gregg that was immensely qualified and was even basically a republican in a democrat ticket, but nope, had to vote for the R with 0 experience (I'm bitter in case you can't tell).
Glad he's starting off well, though.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Congrats and prayers to the free'd man and his family and loved ones.

Fuck you Mike Pence.

He's been freed for over 10 years, actually. This pardon seems like it's more of a wiping of record.

The crazy thing to me is that:

1) Records should be wiped clean immediately in these instances.
2) He got $5M and is apparently homeless? How?

Am I not reading this article correctly?

Linkura

Pence's successor is already a better governor than he ever was. And all just because he has a basic sense of human decency.

This is good news. I'm from Indiana and was really really leery of Holcomb. The dude had 0 experience and was only Lt. Governor for a few months before Pence got the Trump call. He ran against a dem named John Gregg that was immensely qualified and was even basically a republican in a democrat ticket, but nope, had to vote for the R with 0 experience (I'm bitter in case you can't tell).
Glad he's starting off well, though.

Yeah I live in Indiana too, Holcomb seems to be more "I actually care about being a good governor of this state" sort of politician rather than "let's launch my national political career" type of piece of shit.

Could have gone either way.

Glad to hear this guy got his pardon!

Since I've moved to Fort Wayne, I keep hearing... not necessarily good things, but at least reasonable ones about the new (republican) legislature and Holcomb on the local NPR affiliate. There appears to be a new strain of not-complete-awfulness here. Idk.
Living near Indianapolis, I am VASTLY more optimistic about the direction the state will be taking with Holcomb in office instead of Pence. Pence was awful.

HOWEVER...

Right after the election, there was a little pop up of a "ban all abortion" bill. I think the leadership shot it down because they didn't want to start the new legislature off on the wrong foot, but it doesn't mean there won't be a RFRA kind of bill that slips through. So it is important to stay vigilant about what your state reps and senators choose to do and support.

I'm hoping Holcomb can use his connections to squash that kind of stuff, like a Mitch Daniels would have done, and get things done to help business keep growing and citizens get what they need (expanding pre-K being part of it).

Yeah I live in Indiana too, Holcomb seems to be more "I actually care about being a good governor of this state" sort of politician rather than "let's launch my national political career" type of piece of shit.

Could have gone either way.
Pence totally saw the governorship as "the next step" in his political career. That asshole was never interested in supporting the people of this state. I definitely agree that Holcomb looks to be more of a "this is the job I've always wanted" instead of "the next step".

NimbusD

Glad that the right thing was done eventually. I'm surprised this isn't an easy win if hesued the state. It amounts to being punished by the state for no reason which I can't imagine is legal? Idk I don't know law. And no regular person. Does because shit like this that makes literally no sense happens all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom