• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grade Nintendo E3 Direct

Grade The Nintendo Direct

• A

Votes: 46 13.9%
  • B

Votes: 103 31.2%
  • C

Votes: 106 32.1%
  • D

Votes: 75 22.7%

• Total voters

NahaNago

I'm beginning to wonder now if I should have rated it a C. They showed a lot of ports and a remaster. Then again games tend to come to the switch later than everyone else but I did enjoy the show. But I like smt5 so that really raised the grade of the direct for me.

They haven't cared about AAA since the gamecube.

Pretty much with Nintendo it is just enjoy whatever they give you or don't cause they ain't changing.

I was really hoping that consolidating the handheld and console would create far more and bigger games but that became a nope.

they are more profitable than they’ve ever been

it’s a disgrace that they haven’t majorly increased their studio sizes to support more timely game releases

switch should have consolidated this but they are releasing LESS AAA games

the vast majority of these games look like indie titles and won’t even sell very well in comparison to mainline Mario, MK, etc.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
Really cool that FF5 is coming to Switch.

Another Wii U gem helping to keep the Switch successful.

Tom Cruise Laughing GIF by JustViral

Last edited:

StormCell

I liked a few games like Metroid, Warioware and possibly Adavnce Wars....but felt that they didn't show enough original stuff and no Bayonetta 3 yet again.

We knew about BOTW2 and SMT5 coming, which is nice I guess.

Voted B but it was a B-. Nothing bad, but felt they shown too much of stuff we already seen.

This was the way it was always going to be with how they have shifted the focus of Nintendo Directs to showcase software coming (mostly) in the next 6 months with a few titles being 2022. This means getting to hear about titles we've mostly already heard about with a few new game announcements thrown in. There are some games that may still be scheduled for release in 2021 that they opted to not mention today (probably due to new hardware).

Pantz

B

More forgiving this year. They still managed to put together a show that showed new stuff and some gameplay. Lacking in big announcements and everything feels so old without new hardware. A normal year would be a C.

Salmon

One of the weakest, it not THE weakest E3 from Nintendo in years. Feels like they don’t even care about their great IPs anymore. Advance Wars looked like some free-too-play mobile game. And don’t even start me on Metroid. What the hell happened there? It was a disaster from the trailer to the Three House gameplay session. The rest of the show was a snooze fest. BOTW2 was expected, and looked pretty cool though. But I didn’ feel ”it” sadly.

soulbait

Didn't do much for me.

Smash is just not for me, so I don't care about new fighters.

New Metroid looks cool, but I have never liked games that have a "monster" hunt you down like that. It was the one thing from Resident Evil 2 remake I did not like and Res8 that annoys me (got as far through the tall lady section, then started to play ME LE).

Zelda showing was disappointing

Mario Party All Stars game will be fun but not a show stopper.

Just a whole lot of meh for me.

NahaNago

they are more profitable than they’ve ever been

it’s a disgrace that they haven’t majorly increased their studio sizes to support more timely gsme releases

the vast majority of these games look like indie titles and won’t even sell very well in comparison to mainline Mario, MK, etc.
Nintendo needs competition in the space that they make games in. I know indies are starting to make their own version of Nintendo games but until a couple of them blow up to near AAA status, I don't see Nintendo really changing. Plus it takes time to grow the IP and brand.

I don’t like this “new “art style of Advanced Wars at all, it’s like something I’d expect to see on some Fisher Price or Hasbro advert.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Metroid Dread looks good so far, and a new Fatal Frame is fantastic!! Everything else, i could do without.

We wait forever to hear more about BOTW2 and we finally get 2 minutes of footage and nothing else, and it's not coming until next year. Honestly, i didnt think it was coming this year, but my hope was that it was.

So it seems that they're banking on Metroid Dread being the big Holiday game this year.

Jeeves

I'd say B+. A few more good surprises could have pushed it into A territory, but it's not quite hitting that mark.

Metroid Dread might be the game that's spent the longest time on my 'most wanted' list, so for me that really elevated the whole presentation.

It might help that I don't want Switch Pro/never believed it was real, didn't kid myself into thinking we'd see Prime 4 when they're still hiring for basic positions for that game (and more hyped for Dread anyway), and didn't expect BotW 2 to launch this year and am happy to wait to see more.

I'm surprised we didn't see any more of Splatoon 3.

I can't believe they added another traditional fighting game character to Smash. I unironically would have much rather had another Fire Emblem character.

New WarioWare is something I've been wanting. Great to see Advance Wars too.

Very happy to see Monkey Ball 1&2 getting a remaster. I didn't ask for those other games but whatever. They seemed to give 1&2 the most attention which gives me hope they might finally be understanding what fans want.

I don't hate Skyward Sword but man it was ballsy to give that game any screentime today.

My wife will enjoy more Age of Calamity content, she 100%'d the base game.

Still looking forward to Mario Golf, and I'll probably check out the demo for Monster Hunter Stories, too.

Overall a very solid showing for me. This is the most excited I've been about Switch in years.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Some of Nintendo's finest aren't AAA games...

...and when considering that AAA basically only means budget, you could ask yourself if Nintendo even has AAA games at all.
Like, take Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze for example. Excellent game, but does anyone really believe that it cost more to develop than some of the heavy hitters that Microsoft or Sony are trying to push?.

Except for a handful of games like Zelda, 3D-Mario, and maybe Splatoon and Xenoblade, most of their titles developed in-house aren't AAA...
and that's not a bad thing because they are still very polished and simply fun to play. A game doesn't need to be AAA to be a quality release. It's an incredibly simple-minded way of looking at games because it only reduces them to the money behind it (Besides, it's also a black hole for creativity). Video games are certainly a business, but that doesn't mean that only high-budget games are good or worth playing. There are so many great indie games, AA or mid to low-budget games out there ...

I can't believe they added another traditional fighting game character to Smash. I unironically would have much rather had another Fire Emblem character.
I was stoked to see Kazuya in it, even if I don't play Tekken, definitely my overall favourite character from that franchise.

Besides, if I'm not mistaken isn't he the first and only 3rd party, 3D fighting game character to be playable in Smash?

The last time Kazuya was playable in a 2D plane was Street Fighter X Tekken, so I'm interested to see how Sakurai, with his obsessive attention to detail and respect to franchises, translates Kazuya into Smash.

Velcro Fly

Solid B.

Some neat stuff. Some stuff people really wanted.

SMT5 getting leaked beforehand really sort of ruined it though. That would have been a great reveal if we hadn't already known about it.

SinDelta

Positives
Breath of the Wild 2
Metroid Dread
Shin Megami Tensei V
Warioware Get it Together!
Advance Wars

Stuff we already know, but I'm excited for
Great Ace Detective
NEO The World Ends With You
Mario + Rabbids Sparks of Hope
Monster Hunter Stories 2 Wings of Ruin

Might be interested in
No More Heroes 3. I would need to try the first two though.

Negatives
-Yet another Breath of the Wild 2 teaser. Still no full reveal trailer, title or release date. Concerning.
-No Bayonetta 3. Combined with the travesty of Scale Bounds cancelation, Babylon Fall looking like a terrible GaaS this has me extremely concerned about what is going on with Platinum and thankful Nintendo got the rights to Astral Chain.
-No Xenoblade X Port. No Xenoblade 3.
-No Metroid Prime 4

Last edited:

Jeeves

I was stoked to see Kazuya in it, even if I don't play Tekken, definitely my overall favourite character from that franchise.

Besides, if I'm not mistaken isn't he the first and only 3rd party, 3D fighting game character to be playable in Smash?

The last time Kazuya was playable in a 2D plane was Street Fighter X Tekken, so I'm interested to see how Sakurai, with his obsessive attention to detail and respect to franchises, translates Kazuya into Smash.
I'm positive he'll do the character justice as a Tekken rep, as always. For me though, if it's another character with quarter-circle inputs, I won't even be able to enjoy playing the character. And I say that as not a complete stranger to fighting game inputs, but in Smash I just cannot reliably perform them.

I would have rather they left Ryu to be the sole nod to the genre.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Nintendo needs competition in the space that they make games in. I know indies are starting to make their own version of Nintendo games but until a couple of them blow up to near AAA status, I don't see Nintendo really changing. Plus it takes time to grow the IP and brand.
Definitely feels like they more success they have the more complacent they become. When I think of the best Nintendo games the overwhelming majority are on their worst selling consoles; N64, GameCube and Wii U. The Switch is ending up a bit like the Wii in my opinion. Every kid and his nan has one, but for me I have barely touched mine since the first year or so.

Dr Bass

I just realized I should get a job at Retro.

Apparently you can get paid and don't have to make games. Must be a sweet gig.

graywolf323

pacing at times was a bit of a mess but for the games they showed I'd give it an A-? that or a B+ but I want with an A on the poll

Advance Wars alone made me more excited than anything else shown at E3 this year

NahaNago

Definitely feels like they more success they have the more complacent they become. When I think of the best Nintendo games the overwhelming majority are on their worst selling consoles; N64, GameCube and Wii U. The Switch is ending up a bit like the Wii in my opinion. Every kid and his nan has one, but for me I have barely touched mine since the first year or so.
My excuse for not touching it is I've kinda fallen out of gaming at this time. All I really ever play is civ5 and age of empires 3 and nothing else. My backlog keeps growing :messenger_loudly_crying:

edit: I'm suppose to be deleting those games as well so I can focus on other things.

Last edited:

Jubenhimer

A very solid show. But like most Nintendo Directs, it kind of left me wanting more. What they showed was good, I just wish there was more of it.

Nothing impressive. BOTW2 gave them the B over Microsofts C. Boy was Metroid a disappointment. Im not sure why I expected a better Returnal. Advance Wars gave me a smile. But I dont need to play that on a switch.

Xellos

I’m happy about Metroid 5 and the new Wario Ware. Switch has a pretty good lineup for 2021; no ‘tent pole’ game but lots of variety.

I’m disappointed the Donkey Kong rumors didn’t pan out. It’s been a long time since Tropical Freeze.

Zelda looks amazing but it was only a minute of new clips. We’ll probably not see it again until next year.

I’d give them a B.

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
Thought it was pretty good overall. A couple of nice surprises and just about everything had actual gameplay unlike the other conferences.

Only pissed the Mario party stuff isn't DLC.

Kamina

Golden Boy
Sorry big N, but Dread and a quick Zelda 2022 trailer cant make up for the lackluster 40 minutes overall.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Metroid Dread - Awesome!
BOTW2 - Too little info but still cool!
The rest - Everything looks like PS2. Can’t stand it. Just awful. Drop the hybrid strategy and make a proper stationary console!

C

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Can’t stand it. Just awful. Drop the hybrid strategy and make a proper stationary console!
Yeah, stop making money, Nintendo. Just make a Playstation clone. Very good idea. Would never backfire.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Voted D. Only because there was no F.

And thats simply because there wasnt a single game I can see myself ever playing or looking forward to playing.

The actual presentation was solid. Just NOT my style of games. Therefore, F.

C.

I watched with my switch sitting nearby, freshly dusted off, hoping they'd give reason to turn it on again.

"Do you like Mario Party? Here buy the old boards because SMP was trash"

"Do you like SMB? Here buy the old games because the newest one was trash"

"Do you like Metroid? Here buy a sidescroller because we aren't make the fps you want"

Severe lack of bangers. Switch was quickly returned to the alcove where it sits. I needed to dust it anyways.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Yeah, stop making money, Nintendo. Just make a Playstation clone. Very good idea. Would never backfire.
I don’t care, I know it’s selling, I still think it’s awful. Imagine a Zelda with graphics like in Horizon Forbidden West, or a Metroid. That’s what I want. Instead we see other devs making pretty games and ripping ideas from Zelda and while they’re good games they’re never as good as what Nintendo is doing. Nintendo’s attention to detail in gameplay and Guerrilla’s attention to details in visuals would sum up as the best game of all time every time.

Last edited:

iHaunter

I can summarize it in 3 bullet points. Microsoft won E3 by a mile.

• Please be excited.
  • Weeb Games.
  • We have nothing new to show (Except the same old games recycled over and over).

D-

Last edited:
B

Highlights for me:

BotW 2 albeit too short.
Wario Ware
Metroid Dread
Mario Party Superstars
Mario Golf

Bummers:
Nothing worthy for Zelda's 35th
Nothing about Metroid Prime 4

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Imagine a Zelda with graphics like in Horizon Forbidden West,
yawn

When Nintendo had tech that was up to date they made Wind Waker. Nintendo not only knows gameplay but also how to give games beautiful aesthetics without pushing for photorealism. Mario Kart 8 is one of the prettiest most polished games out there and it ran on the WIi U.
BOTW may have fuzzy textures or angular geometry here and there, but the basic style and design are very pretty.

Top Bottom