• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 announced..weather, night racing all tracks, HD Youtube uploads, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

John_B

RandomXTX said:
Frickin embarassing
Gran Turismo 4 – 6/18/04
Forza 1 – 5/3/05
Forza 2 – 8/19/08
Forza 3 – 10/27/09
Gran Turismo 5 – 3/?/10
OSX 10.0
Windows XP - 8/24/01
OSX 10.1
OSX 10.2
OSX 10.3
Windows Vista - 11/8/06
OSX 10.4
OSX 10.5
OSX 10.6
Windows 7 - 10/22/09

Recoil

edit: Looks like I prematurely shot my wad on this post somehow. It's a repeat of my post on the last page, only with finished sentences. I think I tab-entered somehow while writing it.

Anyways, read it or don't, but uh... double post warning.

AlphaSnake said:
Look at this way, GT PSP has 45 tracks and is only 937MB.

Dude. Portable game != Current gen.

The comparison doesn't even work on any level. You might as well point out that spy hunter has more track than any other game in history and only takes up a few kilobytes.

You really have to compare to a current gen game with similar detail like Forza 2/3 or Prologue.

jett said:
Well finally someone on my side. This is how I feel, pretty much. 20 courses+variations is the more believable number. Not 20 nebulous "locations/cities all over the world" with 70 unique courses.

All this crap aside, I really can't believe Yamauchi doesn't have a definitive track list at this point to show us.

No, read my damn post. I'm not on your side either. Christ, fuck, don't you people read?

20 is, ultimately the more believable number, but it's also the more bewildering, and doesn't make sense with the context we're given, which is that the game is aiming for 'epic' already on the other side of things, with 950 cars.

Granted, we're already aware that PD puts a hell of a lot more focus on the actual cars than anything else in the game -- including environments.

But... see what I'm saying? At this point, neither figure makes sense, and I'm not comfortable using either as gospel.

If it turns out we're looking at 70, it's insane, unbelievable, PD has pulled through, and we're looking at the most epic game in years, well worth the wait.

If it turns out we're looking at 20, again, it's bewilderingly disappointing, considering the car count and four or five types of racing going on.

But I wouldn't play a game of russian roulette on either figure, and it's unfair to do so at this point.

Angst

Dreams-Visions said:
I can't completely disagree with that.

but honestly? GT5:p was...a hand full of cars...couple of tracks...some online?

GT:pSP looks like they've had their summer interns building it for the last 4 or 5 years?

Idunno. I appreciate their attention to detail...but I don't see a good reason why the development cycle should have taken this long. I guess I'm just a big believer that at some point in the "perfection" curve of doing anything in life, you run into the old Law of Diminishing Returns. And I feel like they hit the core principle of that law some time ago.'

They could spend the next 2 weeks perfecting a pixel, but is it worth the time, you know?

Just some disappointment from someone who really wants GT5.
I think calling 70 cars a hand full is a bit harsh when most other full games feature around the same number of cars. There definitely should have been 1 or 2 more tracks though.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Recoil said:
Dude. Portable game != Current gen.

The comparison doesn't even work on any level. You might as well point out that spy hunter has more track than any other game in history and only takes up a few kilobytes.

You really have to compare to a current gen game with similar detail like Forza 2/3 or Prologue.

Hey, what the hell? Hahah, I don't ignore the last post of a page. I replied a few posts up. :p

Someone reported much earlier today in this thread that the store he worked at received a notice today that they would be getting GT5 in March. I don't know which store it was, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't in Japan.

AlphaSnake

BTW: Here's what I'm going to do. Contact the PR guy in charge of Gran Turismo and try to clarify this.

bishoptl said:
Dude, if you're going to make posts like this - you shouldn't sign up for a GAF account with your Microsoft corporate email.

Seriously.
I would like to laugh, but this makes me wonder how many MS corporate chills that are actually smarter than this monkey butt.

Makes me kind of sad.

Recoil

AlphaSnake said:
Hey, what the hell? Hahah, I don't ignore the last post of a page. I replied a few posts up. :p

See my edit.

tobias_blue.jpg

T'was forum hiccup. If you noticed, the last post cut itself off before i even finished my sente-

;)

As for your point, it needs to be said again -- different engine. They're not going to bother doing a full rewrite from Prologue just to compress down and get more tracks in. They'll be using the exact same schema, trust me. Hence why I'm asking for a Prologue figure, which will tell us much more than anything else at this point.

Oh, and anyone can do compression. It is not, by any means, PD's "specialty". On hanhelds, games are built from the ground up to work with massive compression. Full consoles? Not so much. Again, it's a different ballgame.

nib95

Banned
imtehman said:
negative, when it will require 6 years to make a game and a big demo to appease fans, greed is not the term i would use to describe the situation

Bear in mind though....we haven't played GT5 yet. Perhaps we should reserve pre-determined criticism till we've played it? It may yet blow us all away to the point where we're willing to forgive the development length. Also, GT6 should be a lot quicker and more feature rich, since the engine and all car models will already be in place.

patsu

RandomXTX said:
Frickin embarassing
Gran Turismo 4 – 6/18/04
Forza 1 – 5/3/05
Forza 2 – 8/19/08
Forza 3 – 10/27/09
Gran Turismo 5 – 3/?/10

Seriously I’m done waiting, how can they let someone make 3 games before releasing GT5.
360 it is, Forza it is, Bill Gates it is!

bishoptl said:
Dude, if you're going to make posts like this - you shouldn't sign up for a GAF account with your Microsoft corporate email.

Seriously.

Interesting ! So it is true that MS people do come to the competition's threads to spread FUD. I'll have to collect some specimens.

In any case, I am glad I didn't fall for the rumored Dec release date. Feel sorry for the people who bang hard on it. Did they show head tracking in TGS ?

Recoil

bishop -- you should really be adding that ban notice to the first post on both threads, and editing the thread title calling attention to "PLEASE READ FIRST POST OR GET BANNED" -- or something like that. A lot of people don't know what's going on.

Not that it's an excuse to be trolling in the first place, but....

Recoil

By the way, Microsoft has almost 100,000 employees. It's one of the largest companies in the world. You don't know what product group that guy was in, nor his role.

Likely, he was working on a backwater file write/read function on some small product on the business side.

That he's anti-sony is incidental, and it's unfair to call him a shill. Silly, shameless fanboy? Sure, but there's plenty of those out there.

You don't have to have an Apple/Nintendo email to be an Apple/Nintendo fanboy, either. And look how many of those are out there.

Shambles

And here I was thinking I was replying to the troll thread on my previous post.

It's dissapointing that we will have to wait until 2010 but like Starcraft 2 we will end up waiting as long as it takes because we are compelled to. Looking back through the foggy glasses of nostalgia I'm sure I'll be in for a rude awaking once I get GT5 in my hands about how much I hated about the frustration of driving sims. Ditching school with friends to do the 24hr races seems like good memories, but there's no way that's going to be possible with my life now.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
jett, you my boy. but i gotta go with alpha on this.

jett said:
I sure did. And single player is the still the same fucking thing that's been for over 10 years.
uhh... no.

physics, damage, drifting, nascar, head tracking, movable objects, lamborghini, bugatti, psp compatibility, online ranking (single player), etc.

just... no.

and this march 2010 shit only gives me time to save for a g27. March w/ gow3 and gt5 will be one hell of a month. :D

Truespeed

RandomXTX said:
Frickin embarassing
Gran Turismo 4 – 6/18/04
Forza 1 – 5/3/05
Forza 2 – 8/19/08
Forza 3 – 10/27/09
Gran Turismo 5 – 3/?/10

Seriously I’m done waiting, how can they let someone make 3 games before releasing GT5.
360 it is, Forza it is, Bill Gates it is!

jeffbellleaves.jpg

Farewell, Jeff.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Recoil said:
Not that it's an excuse to be trolling in the first place, but....
There's the rub.

Recoil said:
You don't know what product group that guy was in, nor his role.
Yeah, you're probably right.

Recoil said:
Likely, he was working on a backwater file write/read function on some small product on the business side.
...hey! You just said...!?

If I have to tell you why it's not a good idea, I can't help you.

It's called bad optics, and men have died - DIED - for less.

AlphaSnake

Recoil said:
See my edit.

tobias_blue.jpg

T'was forum hiccup. If you noticed, the last post cut itself off before i even finished my sente-

;)

As for your point, it needs to be said again -- different engine. They're not going to bother doing a full rewrite from Prologue just to compress down and get more tracks in. They'll be using the exact same schema, trust me. Hence why I'm asking for a Prologue figure, which will tell us much more than anything else at this point.

Oh, and anyone can do compression. It is not, by any means, PD's "specialty". On hanhelds, games are built from the ground up to work with massive compression. Full consoles? Not so much. Again, it's a different ballgame.

Yeah, like I said, I think it takes up 4-5GB on disc. 2GB when downloaded (the rest you download optionally). Another reason why I wouldn't worry about storage, if for whatever reason 50GB isn't enough, we still have quad-layered Blu-rays, which only require a firmware update to work. =)

And Sony could really keep the soundtrack limited, and just give us a custom soundtrack option like they did with GT PSP.

Grayman

Shitty about 2010.

I do not know what to think about 20 locations 70 variations. 70 variants seems high for only 20 locations because you are looking at 3.5 per track and yet have stuff like nurburgring with 1(2 if they do GP?), Daytona(2), original circuits(most 2 max), are they going to make rally world or motorland with 10 variants in one location?

I will say if PD were to release a spec 4 update to GT5 Prologue this fall that would be boss and a nice little consolation prize. Maybe a new track or two and a few more cars.

AlphaSnake

Hahaha, for some reason the March release doesn't bother me AS much. I guess it's because I'll still be playing this come January. :D

I'll let New Yorkers stop by and experience the awesomeness with my Logitech G27 here.
$10 entrance fee. $1.95 per minute. Bring your own lotion

John_B said:
OSX 10.0
Windows XP - 8/24/01
OSX 10.1
OSX 10.2
OSX 10.3
Windows Vista - 11/8/06
OSX 10.4
OSX 10.5
OSX 10.6
Windows 7 - 10/22/09
your post is literally too stupid to critique.

not even remotely a logical comparison. in any way. for any reason.

Recoil

AlphaSnake said:
Another reason why I wouldn't worry about storage, if for whatever reason 50GB isn't enough, we still have quad-layered Blu-rays, which only require a firmware update to work. =)

And cost a heck of a lot more to make/press. No way Sony is going to do that. Have they even done a 50gb yet?

John_B

Dreams-Visions said:
your post is literally too stupid to critique.

not even remotely a logical comparison. in any way. for any reason.
The point was to illustrate how stupid his list was with another stupid list.

AlphaSnake

Recoil said:
And cost a heck of a lot more to make/press. No way Sony is going to do that. Have they even done a 50gb yet?

It's debatable how much more it would cost, and if it would be significant enough for Sony to worry about. And I do think we have gotten one or two dual-layered games - MGS4 is 100%, and I believe Killzone 2 is, also.

Angst said:
I think calling 70 cars a hand full is a bit harsh when most other full games feature around the same number of cars. There definitely should have been 1 or 2 more tracks though.
I know, but considering the gameplay and track variety, it mine as well have been. After the rides are unlocked, you don't even race with a lot of them anymore.

Anyway, the point remains. I'm just really disappointed. it's one of the few games I was really looking forward to, and to see this kind of development cycle...it's just frustrating. GT is one of those few games that you buy a system for. it was one of the driving factors behind my launch PS3 purchase. Even though it was obvious that it would still be a couple of years away...it'd still only be a COUPLE of years away. If I had known all the games I'd want to buy for my PS3 weren't coming for 3-4 years into the product's lifecycle, I would have held off and I could have spent literally 70% LESS than I spent to get it. And I can't even say "I got bit by the hype bug"...it's just that Sony and the devs supporting the platform delivered in spades last gen. who would have foreseen this level of shenanigans?

I wonder how Polyphony really feels about it. Do they think it's taking awhile? Are they pleased with the tools they have?

I just...we had 2 Gran Turismo games in the PS2 era. This gen is going to be fortunate just to get one.

Goldrusher

I still don't understand this 20, 70 track thing.

All tracks from GT4, TT, GT5P, announcements and the weather thingy in Prologue:

- 55 venues (includes Tuscany)
- 73 variations (counting 1 Tuscan track)
- 14 countries
- 8 fictional locations (stuff like Deep Forest, Grand Valley, etc.)

If you remove the non-confirmed "weather thingy" tracks:

- 46 venues
- 63 variations
- 12 countries
- 8 fictional locations

If you only count the tracks we've actually seen:

- 15 venues
- 21 variations
- 8 countries
- 1 fictional location

I was hoping GT5 wouldn't make this year so I can fully dedicate myself to Forza 3 and not be split between the two, but now that it's confirmed to be a good six months away at least I'm feeling kind of sad. Logically, I'm still thankful as the next few months are far too cramped for me and this means I can play GT5 long into the summer when I'll probably be a bit bored of Forza 3, but still... :(

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Andronicus said:
in that show floor vid from GT planet was that an SLS with the spoiler going up and down i seen there? at 55 second mark. Lambo gallardo in there too hehe. WE NEEDS HD FLOOR VIDZ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I29SJlorlbI

how late to the party am i?
idk if you're late, but omg that was sweet.

Wax Free Vanilla said:
They better put this new Tokyo demo on PSN.
Do it sony. DO IT.

edit:
and honestly, i dont give a fuck about weather. when playing f1 i never played with rain on. but they better have night races! downtown tokyo japan mother fucking night races.

Andrew2

Banned
For all of you impatient idiots who are complaining about GT5's delay, be glad PD is delaying the game because it clearly means they want a quality product and not some rushed shit like the Forza games(which is practially looking like Madden)

Alot of you idiot don't get the fact that the last time a GT title was rushed(aka GT2) the game was practically infested glitches.

Goldrusher said:
I still don't understand this 20, 70 track thing.

All tracks from GT4, TT, GT5P, announcements and the weather thingy in Prologue:

- 55 venues (includes Tuscany)
- 73 variations (counting 1 Tuscan track)
- 14 countries
- 8 fictional locations (stuff like Deep Forest, Grand Valley, etc.)
so we're talking 63 actual tracks (55 + 8)?

and 73 courses ("variations" or variants) within each track?

Andrew2 said:
For all of you impatient idiots who are complaining about GT5's delay, be glad PD is delaying the game because it clearly means they want a quality product and not some rushed shit like the Forza games(which is practially looking like Madden)

Alot of you idiot don't get the fact that the last time a GT title was rushed(aka GT2) the game was practically infested glitches.

let's wait for them to add 500 more cars. for...you know..."quality".

show me lack of "Quality" in Forza and I'll show you a pair of games that are universally considered AAA software.

and obviously, Forza 3 will continue that reputation. not the best lighting, but not much else to complain about. and the feature set is going to be to die for.

Truespeed

Recoil said:
By the way, Microsoft has almost 100,000 employees. It's one of the largest companies in the world. You don't know what product group that guy was in, nor his role.

That he's anti-sony is incidental, and it's unfair to call him a shill. Silly, shameless fanboy? Sure, but there's plenty of those out there.

You don't have to have an Apple/Nintendo email to be an Apple/Nintendo fanboy, either. And look how many of those are out there.

So, just to re-cap, you're saying it was unfair to call someone, that primarily posted in 360 threads, a corporate shill because of his outburst on the 1 PS3 thread he posted in?

Got it.

AlphaSnake

Andrew2 said:

Err, Forza is far from Madden. It's a damn competent sim. Please take that shit-talking drivel elsewhere.

Fake edit: Nevermind, inevitable ban hammer cometh, since I quoted your post. Peace.

Dezcom

Kinda disappointed at 2010, but it's not gonna kill me. Oh well, this will give me more time to enjoy this year's games until GT hits.

Recoil said:

I'd agree, but in this instance Google says not the business side...

Goldrusher

Andronicus said:
in that show floor vid from GT planet was that an SLS with the spoiler going up and down i seen there? at 55 second mark. Lambo gallardo in there too hehe. WE NEEDS HD FLOOR VIDZ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I29SJlorlbI
That's an SLR.

Dreams-Visions said:
so we're talking 63 actual tracks (55 + 8)?

and 73 courses ("variations" or variants) within each track?

Feel free to count:

• = in GT4, TT, GT5P, GT5 demos
○ = new to the series (weather thingy + announcements)
bold = tracks 100% confirmed (GT5P, GT5 trailers & GT5 demos)

ROAD real race tracks
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Belgium
○ Circuit de Spa-Francorchamps
○ Circuit Zolder

China
○ Shanghai International Circuit

France
• Circuit de la Sarthe (Le Mans)
- long with chicanes
- long without chicanes
○ Circuit de Nevers (Magny-Cours)

Germany
○ Hockenheimring
• Nürburgring
- Nordschleife
- GP track

Italy
○ Autodromo Nazionale Monza
○ Autodromo Enzo e Dino Ferrari (Imola)

Japan
• Fuji Speedway
- 80's
- 90's
- F configuration
- GT configuration
• Suzuka Circuit
- GP Circuit
- East
- West
• Twin Ring Motegi
- Road Course
- East Short Course
- West Short Course
- Super Speedway
• Tsukuba Circuit

Monaco
• Circuit de Monaco

Portugal
○ Autódromo do Estoril

Spain
○ Circuito Permanente de Jerez
• Circuit Ricardo Tormo (Valencia)

UK
○ Brands Hatch
○ Silverstone Circuit
○ Top Gear Test Track

USA
• Daytona International Speedway
- Road Course
- Superspeedway
• Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca
• Indianapolis Motor Speedway
- Rectangular Oval Track
- Grand Prix Road Course
• Infineon Raceway
- Sport Car Course
- Stock Car Course

ROAD fictional race tracks in real locations
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

China
• Hong Kong

France
• Paris, George V
• Paris, Opera

Italy
• Citta di Aria (Assisi)
• Costa di Amalfi (Capri)

Japan
• Tokyo, Route 246

Korea
• Seoul

Spain
○ Madrid

Switzerland
• Eiger Nordwand (Kleine Scheidegg, Bern)
- Short
- Long

UK
• London
- Short
- Long

USA
• El Capitan (Yosemite National Park, California)
• Las Vegas Drag Strip
• New York
• Seattle

ROAD fictional race tracks

• High Speed Ring
• Apricot Hill
• Autumn Ring
• Deep Forest Raceway
• Grand Valley Speedway
- East Section
- Speedway
• Midfield Raceway
• Driving Park
- Beginner Course
- Motorland
- Test Course
• Trial Mountain
• Clubman Stage Route 5
• Special Stage Route 5
• Special Stage Route 11

RALLY fictional race tracks in real locations

France
• Chamonix

French Polynesia
• Tahiti

Italy
• Tuscany

Switzerland
• Swiss Alps

USA
• Cathedral Rocks (Yosemite National Park, California)
• Grand Canyon

RALLY fictional race tracks

• Ice Arena​

Lyonaz

Aww damn, March 2010? For Japan?

Would be funny if they released it in Europe in december, never gonna happen though =(

Guess I'll have time to clear my backlog till then.

Andrew2 said:

Andrew2
STOP MAKING FUCKING POSTS!
(Today, 03:19 AM)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom