• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 announced..weather, night racing all tracks, HD Youtube uploads, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yoboman said:
I have a feeling most of the game is done, and this is where the heavy work has been shifted now - whereas it would have used to have been modelling the cars

Well, according to Yamauchi through the games entire development up to now the car modeling has taken up 60% of the resources. The car modeling team alone makes up more than half of the GT5 development team. So they should be pretty much done with that.

Zabojnik

I don't get it. If GT5 is really coming out in March in Japan ... shouldn't it be more or less complete already? Kaz is still talking about testing this or that, be it damage, weather or something else, which are all - at least to my understanding - pretty complex and development time consuming features. They could be more far along than they are letting us know, but if that were indeed the case, I'm sure something of the sort would have leaked by now. There seems to be a gaming journalist expedition to Polyphony's offices every other day.

Do you guys think that they'll just continue working on GT5 and keep delaying it until the game is feature complete? Or do you believe that there's a risk of them releasing what would be considered a 'full game' in any case, but one which will be then gradually upgraded as time passes on? Updated not only with new cars and possibly tracks, but indeed with major stuff like weather, day-night (or just day / night for all tracks) cycles and the like.

I'm starting to think that Polyphony have way too much on their plate right now - although if anybody can do it, it's definitely them. As someone who likes to get into racing sims once every 4 years or so and then playing the shit out of said games, the above mentioned features are quite a big deal. After I got burned out playing Gran Turismo 3 to death, I completely skipped GT4, because I could not consider it anything but a GT3.5. I really, really wouldn't want GT5 to give me that feeling again. It doesn't make any sense considering what we already know will be in GT5 for sure, but still. I just can't shake the feeling.

NeoUltima said:
Just went and played some GTHD again after some GT5P...damn things have come far.
I also went back to GTHD after a year of Prologue, and I literally had to take a full two laps around Eiger to adjust to that game's driving physics.

Yoboman

Zabojnik said:
I don't get it. If GT5 is really coming out in March in Japan ... shouldn't it be more or less complete already? Kaz is still talking about testing this or that, be it damage, weather or something else, which are all - at least to my understanding - pretty complex and development time consuming features. They could be more far along than they are letting us know, but if that were indeed the case, I'm sure something of the sort would have leaked by now. There seems to be a gaming journalist expedition to Polyphony's offices every other day.

Do you guys think that they'll just continue working on GT5 and keep delaying it until the game is feature complete? Or do you believe that there's a risk of them releasing what would be considered a 'full game' in any case, but one which will be then gradually upgraded as time passes on? Updated not only with new cars and possibly tracks, but indeed with major stuff like weather, day-night (or just day / night for all tracks) cycles and the like.

I'm starting to think that Polyphony have way too much on their plate right now - although if anybody can do it, it's definitely them. As someone who likes to get into racing sims once every 4 years or so and then playing the shit out of said games, the above mentioned features are quite a big deal. After I got burned out playing Gran Turismo 3 to death, I completely skipped GT4, because I could not consider it anything but a GT3.5. I really, really wouldn't want GT5 to give me that feeling again. It doesn't make any sense considering what we already know will be in GT5 for sure, but still. I just can't shake the feeling.
Well I really doubt they've just decided to tack it on at the end of development with no proper plan. They have always talked about creating all their cars piece by piece so they can be damage properly and procedurally. And I don't think the physics team has been sitting on their asses either, just that now that the modelling phase is more or less wrapped up, it's seemingly feature complete the team can now work with all of their ability on implementing the damage. If it's procedural, and they have been prototyping and conceptualising it for awhile then 6 - 8 months to implement it isn't unrealistic

Zabojnik said:
They could be more far along than they are letting us know, but if that were indeed the case, I'm sure something of the sort would have leaked by now.

Depends on what you mean by further along. If you're talking about the damage, then they're further along than we've seen. Journalists that got to go to their office for TGS were shown a new trailer that had the more advanced damage engine in place. That's the trailer we're hoping gets released during the Tokyo Motor Show.

Zabojnik said:
After I got burned out playing Gran Turismo 3 to death, I completely skipped GT4, because I could not consider it anything but a GT3.5. I really, really wouldn't want GT5 to give me that feeling again. It doesn't make any sense considering what we already know will be in GT5 for sure, but still. I just can't shake the feeling.

How long did it take to develop the game?

It took about 5 years. But to put that in perspective, it also took the first Gran Turismo five years to be created. What that tells us that this is more or less the amount of time required to make a product at this level.

Based on that I don't think you should worry about this feeling like a slight evolution of the series. The fact that he feels that it takes this long to build something like they did with the original GT should be quite telling. This is the first GT they've done since the original where they've done things from scratch. Previously they just built on top of the game before it.

Zabojnik

Yoboman said:
Well I really doubt they've just decided to tack it on at the end of development with no proper plan. They have always talked about creating all their cars piece by piece so they can be damage properly and procedurally. And I don't think the physics team has been sitting on their asses either, just that now that the modelling phase is more or less wrapped up, it's seemingly feature complete the team can now work with all of their ability on implementing the damage. If it's procedural, and they have been prototyping and conceptualising it for awhile then 6 - 8 months to implement it isn't unrealistic

Yeah, but that's damage. We already know that damage will almost certainly make it in. We already saw some of it in action, so ... Which is cool and all, but I'd trade damage - visual damage, not actual car performance degradation - for stuff like real-time weather changing conditions and night races in a fucking second. One of the reasons for this is the fact that I really, really doubt that they'll be able to fully recreate it in game form. There's already the distinction between regular and racer cars, for example.

Zabojnik said:
I just can't shake the feeling.
veronica_bouncy.gif

Truespeed

H_Prestige said:
How is PD squeezing so much juice out of the ps3? I was already amazed they could get 1080p/60fps with all the detail they're pushing, but now they're adding real time damage modeling as well? These guys are unreal.

Well, it's not exactly true 1920x1080p, but rather 1280x1080p horizontally upscaled to 1920x1080p. But, regardless, those 1080p lines are all native and not vertically upscaled.

Leunam

Sweet, nice to see the Viper ACR. Can't wait until I get to compare my (likely terrible) lap time around the Nurburgring to the 7:22 lap time set last year.

Issun23

The picture is from the Gran Turismo Concept 2002 Tokyo Geneva press kit. Got my grubby hands on it this morning. There's a profile too:

Growing up in the city of Kashiwa, in Chiba prefecture, Kazunori was a model school boy, who dreamt of becoming an astronaut. His interests in movies expanded at Junior High School, as he established a movie production group, making one film a year. As Kazunori proceeded to High School, he explains that he was no longer the “cream of the crop”. In his years at University School, Kazunori built his skills in graphic expressions participating in part time jobs preparing presentation materials for car manufacturers. Changes and advancements to lifestyle and technology provided Kazunori, a physics major at his university, the opportunity to maximize and utilize his skills.

From the previously released games Kazunori was involved with, one can clearly see that he is a great fan of cars and motorsports. He recalls his interest in cars as far back as kindergarten. Kazunori is actually a slow starter in terms of real driving, as he decided to pay for all fees from obtaining a license to buying his own car.

Kazunori’s other interest is movies; Hollywood movies in particular. At one point, he wished he could create a movie like Star Wars. Kazunori adds that Japan’s gaming industry is something like Hollywood in the movies industry, only the environment for creators is still far behind where Hollywood is now, and hope to be part of the generation who brings the game industry up to level with that of Hollywood’s movie industry.

-viper-

Banned
theignoramus said:
I also went back to GTHD after a year of Prologue, and I literally had to take a full two laps around Eiger to adjust to that game's driving physics.
you sure? Clearly the GT series has been the same shit since GT1.

Zaptruder

Banned
So I played some Prologue again tonight...

as much as I love the idea of a realistic car sim, I think I'm probably too shit to handle it. Nevermind realistic damage... realistic physics is enough to spin me the fuck out.

Admittedly I'm driving with the GT40LM... but either that car sucks complete donkey balls, Or I just *can't* figure out how to apply power gradually enough for it to not go all over the fucking place.

If I'm posting 7 seconds behind the top times on the leaderboard in the GTR on Suzuka, how am I doing really? Shit right? (2:16 to 2:09)

I've thought about it repeatedly... but I think it would really help if context were provided to how well you were doing.

As it is, it's only giving you your place in your car, your place vs all cars, and the top 100 times of your car/driving mode setting. I'm guessing most people are outside the top 100... so most people would benefit from been able to figure out how they stood versus everyone else.

Forza 2 did this quite well... gave you your ranking and times around you and your friends list times... but really, what I want is a scatter graph or a line graph of times. The percentage of players you're better than, and your best speed around the track.

I'd also like to be able to filter by various factors... tyre grade, simulation grade, ABS settings, transmission type, even car type and etc. And also have the ability to do comparative analysis between different filters.

That would be satisfying... knowing that I'm not too shit. Or maybe finding out that I am. Either way, I'd like to know.

Zaptruder said:
Admittedly I'm driving with the GT40LM... but either that car sucks complete donkey balls, Or I just *can't* figure out how to apply power gradually enough for it to not go all over the fucking place.

Are you using the DS3? If so then that probably explains it. You need to be really good at using the analog triggers as well as the stick because even the smallest mistake in that car is going to screw you up. It's one of those cars that's much better when you drive it using a wheel.

Zaptruder said:
If I'm posting 7 seconds behind the top times on the leaderboard in the GTR on Suzuka, how am I doing really? Shit right? (2:16 to 2:09).

Depends on how long you've been playing. If you're new or haven't played the game in awhile, then that's really not all that bad. Especially since a quick look at a replay will probably help you shave off a few seconds rather quickly.

avaya

You can drive the GT40LM with the d-pad and the buttons. Most people don't do well with it because they are too optimistic with braking points/turn-in or are just very aggressive. What also tends to happen when people back-off is that they forget to keep balanced throttle.

Zaptruder

Banned
avaya said:
You can drive the GT40LM with the d-pad and the buttons. Most people don't do well with it because they are too optimistic with braking points/turn-in or are just very aggressive. What also tends to happen when people back-off is that they forget to keep balanced throttle.

Well it's not like any other car in my garage... it very much feels like it's driving on ice.

And if I'm conservative with it... which I try to be, I'm going slow, and I slide around anyway.

Ideally, they'd have all replays uploadable, so I can find someone near my time download his ghost and try to beat that, and keep moving up. Because I'm so far behind that following any of the ghosts available online is more a hindrance than a help. I mean, I can't even start nearly as fast as the top guys... they immediately overtake me, and after the first turn, they're gone.

Zaptruder said:
Ideally, they'd have all replays uploadable, so I can find someone near my time download his ghost and try to beat that, and keep moving up. Because I'm so far behind that following any of the ghosts available online is more a hindrance than a help. I mean, I can't even start nearly as fast as the top guys... they immediately overtake me, and after the first turn, they're gone.

Don't try to race their ghost. Go and watch their replay. Watch the line that they take on the course as well as when and where they brake. That's what you want to follow.

Pallaris

TTP said:
Has any of the latest interviews touched upon frame rate and screen tearing issues? I'd like to know what Kaz thinks about those. That's really killing my excitement for the game. I mean, I look at those pics and can't stop thinking about how the engine runs at this point. I wish I could look at them with more "confidence", if you get what I mean.

Pretty much what i'm thinking. I don't think anyone's pulled them up on it yet. I just hope 720p mode is locked 60fps and not compromised like WipeoutHD was.

-viper-

Banned
Zaptruder said:
So I played some Prologue again tonight...

as much as I love the idea of a realistic car sim, I think I'm probably too shit to handle it. Nevermind realistic damage... realistic physics is enough to spin me the fuck out.

If I'm posting 7 seconds behind the top times on the leaderboard in the GTR on Suzuka, how am I doing really? Shit right? (2:16 to 2:09)

I've thought about it repeatedly... but I think it would really help if context were provided to how well you were doing.

As it is, it's only giving you your place in your car, your place vs all cars, and the top 100 times of your car/driving mode setting. I'm guessing most people are outside the top 100... so most people would benefit from been able to figure out how they stood versus everyone else.

Forza 2 did this quite well... gave you your ranking and times around you and your friends list times... but really, what I want is a scatter graph or a line graph of times. The percentage of players you're better than, and your best speed around the track.

I'd also like to be able to filter by various factors... tyre grade, simulation grade, ABS settings, transmission type, even car type and etc. And also have the ability to do comparative analysis between different filters.

That would be satisfying... knowing that I'm not too shit. Or maybe finding out that I am. Either way, I'd like to know.
I liked the system in Wipeout HD. Lists your time against your friends.

You racing on Professional mode? I can't handle the car on professional unless I race slowly. Pro mode is pretty difficult to control the car without any assists. I try to gently apply the brakes and accelerator when cornering. But of course this affects my lap times because I end up driving slowly on the corners so I don't spin out :\

F1 car is the only car I can handle with ease on pro mode.

Zaptruder

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
Don't try to race their ghost. Go and watch their replay. Watch the line that they take on the course as well as when and where they brake. That's what you want to follow.

I was trying to find the option for watching the replay... so I downloaded them and there wasn't an option to watch the downloaded replay. I guess I have to watch it through the leaderboard?

This is the kind of unintuitive shit that PD needs to fix. They need a good UI guy to work with their artists and a good game designer to work with Kaz... I mean the guy has supreme passion for cars which is great... but quite frankly, I could design a lot of elements better. Like the online leaderboard that I was talking about.

Zaptruder

Banned
-viper- said:
I liked the system in Wipeout HD. Lists your time against your friends.

You racing on Professional mode? I can't handle the car on professional unless I race slowly. Pro mode is pretty difficult to control the car without any assists. I try to gently apply the brakes and accelerator when cornering. But of course this affects my lap times because I end up driving slowly on the corners so I don't spin out :\

F1 car is the only car I can handle with ease on pro mode.

I'm not really racing... I'm just trying. I say that because out of must've been 20-30 tries, I only managed to get the car around the track once, and the time was in the 2:25s... Might've been more tries really.

Ah well... I'll get more serious at GT5 release :p

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Recoil said:
Un-fucking-real.
yep. we badly need raytracing for the next level or car photorealism.

this shot clearly demonstrates the limits of local illumination models

Melfice7

I just bought a G25 and holy hell im getting my ass kicked on prologue.. im good with a controller but it has been a pain to adapt to the wheel, anyone got any tips? :D

Firewire

Banned
Melfice7 said:
I just bought a G25 and holy hell im getting my ass kicked on prologue.. im good with a controller but it has been a pain to adapt to the wheel, anyone got any tips? :D
Take it slow, it takes time to get used to. Practice on your fav track it will help you to see the necessary adjustments between controller and wheel.

The Tokyo Motor Show is apparently going to have a big focus on green cars. So if GT5 is there that probably gives us a good idea of what to expect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom