• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 announced..weather, night racing all tracks, HD Youtube uploads, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.
mckmas8808 said:
What is the price of the car? $250k?

It's rumored to be around that price. They're apparently only making 500 of them. It's one of the better designs i've seen for a supercar recently.

It's going to be at the Tokyo Motor Show, so if it's going to be in GT5 we'll probably find out there.

"Naturally, my attention is focused purely on Gran Turismo 5 right now," he told Famitsu magazine in an interview published this week. "The scale of this title is just dizzying, so daily progress is slow, but it's still going forward at a steady clip. All the basic stuff is complete, but we're trying to give everything that little bit extra at present. We could release it any time we want, really, but I want to have that classic GT-style 'did we really have to go this far?' feel going. I want to go way beyond gamer expectations."

In the interview, Yamauchi confirmed that you'll be allowed to bring your entire collection of cars earned in Gran Turismo PSP into GT5 without penalty. "The PSP version has over 800 cars included, and that number's even higher in GT5," he commented. "I want to get gamers in all sorts of different vehicles, from the latest models to old classics and world-class sports cars. Having the freedom to drive whatever you want is one of the main attractions of GT, after all."

What's Yamauchi think of the slightly beleaguered US auto industry? "American cars are just amazing, no doubt about it," he reaffirms. "There are lots of good things about European and Japanese cars, but while most of those evolved for practical purposes, it's like American cars were designed with the heart of a boy looking forward into the future. There's been a lot written about them in the news, of course, but I wanted to show people that the spark hasn't disappeared yet. If that history wound up getting snuffed out, I think that'd be terrible."

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3176462

Flo_Evans

I'm not sure If I want to transfer all my PSP garage to GT5... not at first at least. My favorite part is being low on credits, only being able to afford a new air filter and really driving the wheels of a POS car.

I am sure I will cave in though after a week of grinding. :lol

In the interview, Yamauchi confirmed that you'll be allowed to bring your entire collection of cars earned in Gran Turismo PSP into GT5 without penalty.

Brb, gotta get more Veyrons in other colors :p

I dont feel bad transferring my car collection to GT5. You still have to grind in GT5 to mod the majority of your GT PSP vehicle collection!
or sell some of your collection for $$$, lol

If anything, since I already have cars in hand, I can go ahead and save the money earned on GT5 to buy those Ferrari/Lambo/Pagani/etc fleet which will undoubtedly cost millions :lol

jett said:
Shut up, Kaz.

If you read the rest of what he said it makes sense. All he's really saying is that there's enough content in the game now that they could release it and many gamers would be happy. But they're trying to exceed expectations so there needs to be even more content.

Niks

Kaz said:
We could release it any time we want, really, but I want to have that classic GT-style 'did we really have to go this far?' feel going. I want to go way beyond gamer expectations."

:bow

fu3lfr3nzy said:
I dont feel bad transferring my car collection to GT5. You still have to grind in GT5 to mod the majority of your GT PSP vehicle collection!
Also GT PSP only has a handful of car models after the '06 model year since most of the lineup is based on GT4. GT5 should have tons of newer models available (with more hopefully to be available as DLC for future models) so we'll have to grind it out to buy and mod them exclusively in GT5 as well.

GamePnoy74 said:
Also GT PSP only has a handful of car models after the '06 model year since most of the lineup is based on GT4. GT5 should have tons of newer models available (with more hopefully to be available as DLC for future models) so we'll have to grind it out to buy and mod them exclusively in GT5 as well.

Hence the rest of my previous post ;)

Even with 830 cars to start with, theres still another 120(possibly more) cars to acquire in GT5(some of those cars wont be cheap either), and modding one car already eats up alot of credits :lol

Though I can understand the irreplaceable feeling of starting from scratch and getting a lowly 2 door coupe from the used dealership and buying minor parts with the spare cash and grinding for hours on end to get the next best car and so on.

Enough rambling, we need new material to fap drool at! :D

Iknos

Forgive me on the lateness of this but OOOOOOOHHHHH MMMMMYYYYYYYY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOODDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD!

I'm sure you people know what I'm referring too. :D

-viper-

Banned
I'm only going to import a handful of cars in the GT5 - I've only got like 10 cars in my GT PSP garage at the moment. I only if I like it.

AndyD

aka andydumi
I always loved scraping by to a point then I wanted unfetterd access. Basically when I got really good, the grind got annoying. While I was still learning, I justified the grind as practice and training.

So I wonder how the tranfering will work. Same account only or any save? Are PSP save games lockeD?

fu3lfr3nzy said:
Hence the rest of my previous post ;)

Even with 830 cars to start with, theres still another 120(possibly more) cars to acquire in GT5(some of those cars wont be cheap either), and modding one car already eats up alot of credits :lol

Is this just speculation? It would be very strange to remodel all cars from GT4.
GT2 had ~600 cars, all from '99 or earlier. GT3/GT4 didn't carry all of these over, they did the sensible thing and used more up to date models and brands, except for all the classics.*

I wouldn't be surprised if only the 'Tradable' PSP cars can be transfered.

*Applies mainly to non Japanese brands, the Japanese model list remains ridiculously comprehensive.

Graphics Horse said:
Is this just speculation? It would be very strange to remodel all cars from GT4.
GT2 had ~600 cars, all from '99 or earlier. GT3/GT4 didn't carry all of these over, they did the sensible thing and used more up to date models and brands, except for all the classics.

Believe me, I'm just as skeptical as you :lol . I'm only going by this quote:

In the interview, Yamauchi confirmed that you'll be allowed to bring your entire collection of cars earned in Gran Turismo PSP into GT5 without penalty. "The PSP version has over 800 cars included, and that number's even higher in GT5...

With all the new vehicles that came out after GT4, I'd be surprised if they really decided to bring most of [GT4/PSP] them over to GT5.

Iknos said:
Forgive me on the lateness of this but OOOOOOOHHHHH MMMMMYYYYYYYY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOODDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD!

I'm sure you people know what I'm referring too. :D
I assume you're talking about Kaz's comments about his team working on damage based on realtime calculations. I want to see it demonstrated before I fully commit to the idea of it being confirmed for GT5.

Graphics Horse said:
GT2 had ~600 cars, all from '99 or earlier. GT3/GT4 didn't carry all of these over, they did the sensible thing and used more up to date models and brands, except for all the classics.*

*Applies mainly to non Japanese brands, the Japanese model list remains ridiculously comprehensive.

Kaz has mentioned in a recent interview that they're going to try to make it where you're able to carry over your cars in one GT game to the next. So that extends past GT PSP and GT5. He wants people who unlock cars in GT5 to be able to transfer them to GT6 and so on. The modeling of the cars should be at a point where they don't have to scrap the models anymore when a new system comes out. They can just build on top of the current models, which would go a long way in helping keep them around. So you're going to be seeing GT games hit the thousands in terms of car models in the future.

Iknos

theignoramus said:
I assume you're talking about Kaz's comments about his team working on damage based on realtime calculations. I want to see it demonstrated before I fully commit to the idea of it being confirmed for GT5.

Oh no...take a look at my avatar...FT-86 announcement.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
theignoramus said:
Yeah its kind of crazy to do that at 60FPS 1080p

Goldrusher

Graphics Horse said:
ALL cars in GT5 are new GT5-quality models.
You're still thinking of GTHD, which was cancelled 3 years ago in favor of the 100% next-gen GT5 we're now looking forward to.

Also, you have to grind A LOT to get your hands on all the cars in GT PSP.
So imo you're either grinding in GT PSP or in GT5. Not in both. You're crazy if you prefer that.
Maybe, just maybe, you can wait to transfer your cars until you've completed (most of) the career mode.

-viper-

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
Kaz has mentioned in a recent interview that they're going to try to make it where you're able to carry over your cars in one GT game to the next. So that extends past GT PSP and GT5. He wants people who unlock cars in GT5 to be able to transfer them to GT6 and so on. The modeling of the cars should be at a point where they don't have to scrap the models anymore when a new system comes out. They can just build on top of the current models, which would go a long way in helping keep them around. So you're going to be seeing GT games hit the thousands in terms of car models in the future.
The GT5P menu models look insane @ 1080p. If the AA was at 8x, the cars would look crazy.

I think the car models look so good they could carry on next gen. Only this time no LOD in game.

-viper- said:
I think the car models look so good they could carry on next gen. Only this time no LOD in game.

I think that there will always be LOD because it helps free up resources. It's not really a big detail since you can't really see the cars that well anyway as they move away. You don't need to keep them at an extreme detail at that point. But yeah, there's no point in them scrapping models that look like this

ngf60k.jpg

33a8pd1.jpg

2zec5g5.jpg

I think what you're mostly going to see improve next gen is the detail in the interior. The car body detail is already absurdly high.

Recoil

SolidSnakex said:
I think what you're mostly going to see improve next gen is the detail in the interior. The car body detail is already absurdly high.

I disagree, even the interiors are almost spot on now. Weird how that's happened within a generation, but it has.

Visually, cars are about done. GT is almost perfect, Forza is not far behind.

I think from now on, the big things we're going to be seeing are environment and physics. Lots of detail put into collisions, minor physics details, and the elimination of visible polygons from trackside. Full 3D and displacement mapped grass, gravel, and dirt.

Collisions, especially, are very far behind from where they should be.

Smoke is another good one. Both Forza and GT are behind on that one.

Looked great in the last NFS game.

Recoil said:
I disagree, even the interiors are almost spot on now. Weird how that's happened within a generation, but it has.

I think that there are some things that they can improve with the interior. That's the area where you're more likely to see blocky elements to the modeling. Also the actual texturing to make it resemble the the actual material can be improved. Obviously the detail is still high, but I think if there's anything that can be improved then it's the interior. Also, if car manufacturers change their tune then they can model elements under the body for damage. One thing that Kaz has pointed out for the race cars is that you'll be able to rip off parts of the body and of course you'll see what's supposed to be under those parts.

jett said:
Were the mercedes and toyota vids ever put up for download in HD?

Sadly nothing aside from the 458 video has been released in proper HD. The other two are HD by YouTube standards.

GameTrailers interview

HD: http://www.gametrailers.com/video/tgs-09-gran-turismo/57623
SD: http://www.gametrailers.com/video/tgs-09-gran-turismo/57622

- TGS feature list was just the "basic" feature that users expect from the series
- After GT4 they dumped their code and started completely new for GT5
- They want to bring some of the GT PSP race modes to GT5 (like the Jackpot races)
- The TGS build had an entirely new physics engine in place
- The AI is being redone for GT5 largely because of the addition of NASCAR races. Kaz points out that in a NASCAR race even the slightest difference in your driving can make a major difference in whether you win or lose. Because of that the AI will be adjusted to be able to handle slight changes like that

SolidSnakex said:
GameTrailers interview

HD: http://www.gametrailers.com/video/tgs-09-gran-turismo/57623
SD: http://www.gametrailers.com/video/tgs-09-gran-turismo/57622

- TGS feature list was just the "basic" feature that users expect from the series
- After GT4 they dumped their code and started completely new for GT5
- They want to bring some of the GT PSP race modes to GT5 (like the Jackpot races)
- The TGS build had an entirely new physics engine in place
- The AI is being redone for GT5 largely because of the addition of NASCAR races. Kaz points out that in a NASCAR race even the slightest difference in your driving can make a major difference in whether you win or lose. Because of that the AI will be adjusted to be able to handle slight changes like that
Jesus christ.
If GT5 ships with weather, night/day racing, more AI improvements, and the sophisticated damage model Kaz claims his team is working on, then it will be absolutely amazing, fuck the haters. "Bu,bu,bu, but GT is a stagnant franchise, a one trick pony"

I'm still hesitant to believe the weather reports. Night racing seems to be pretty much a lock as Kaz has talked about it and of course that trailer showed it. But weather seems to be sketchy right now.

AndyD

aka andydumi
I was playing Ferrari Challenge the other day and on a couple of turns at Monza where the trees are close to the track there are dry leaves that get kicked up every time you go by.

I wonder if GT5 will have leaves and stuff like that on track. I know they have had dust kicking up off track but the leaves were an unexpected and cool touch.

Melfice7

AndyD said:
I wonder if GT5 will have leaves and stuff like that on track. I know they have had dust kicking up off track but the leaves were an unexpected and cool touch.

GT4: Prologue had leaves

MGR

"We could release it any time we want, really, but I want to have that classic GT-style 'did we really have to go this far?' feel going. I want to go way beyond gamer expectations."

Given the snippets of information gathered in various interviews over the last few years and the ludicrously long development time many gamers now already expect real time weather effects, dynamic time of day, exceptional realistic damage modelling.

I'm not sure how you much further you could go "beyond gamer expectations".

MGR said:
real time weather effects

I'm not sure about real time weather, but weather in general is heavily rumored. Yamauchi talked about it in the IGN interview and basically said that they can do it but it comes down to how much of an impact it has on the games performance.

MGR said:
dynamic time of day

Dynamic time is still up in the air, but we know that night racing is pretty much a lock.

MGR said:
exceptional realistic damage modelling.

This should be good enough

The damage physics are going to be applied to things like a bent suspension arm, tires hitting the wheel wells of a car, deformation of the body affecting alignment, the loss of power to the engine

http://gameinformer.com/games/gran_turismo_5/b/ps3/archive/2009/09/30/preview.aspx

Also parts will fall off for the racing cars. 

mr_nothin

Banned
MGR said:
Given the snippets of information gathered in various interviews over the last few years and the ludicrously long development time many gamers now already expect real time weather effects, dynamic time of day, exceptional realistic damage modelling.

I'm not sure how you much further you could go "beyond gamer expectations".
All of that is still beyond our expectations. We're hoping for it but we wont believe it until we see it.

-viper-

Banned
jett said:
If they can manage to give every track a night variant that'll be impressive, but I seriously doubt it.
I'll buy two copies of the game if every track has a night variant. It is my most wanted feature for the game. Day tracks look boring :p

Slightly off topic, but I'm not about to start a new thread to ask this...

Who wants PD to release Motor Toon Grand Prix 3 after they finish GT5? I think it would be interesting to see them go back to the series after so long with all the things they have learned from the GT series, even if it's just a PSN release.

Saiyu

-viper- said:
I'll buy two copies of the game if every track has a night variant. It is my most wanted feature for the game. Day tracks look boring :p

Deep Forest night would be intense.

chico

-viper- said:

i remember one racing game where you started with daylight and ended at night. awesome....
especially the sunset was beautiful.

forgot the name of the game though. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom