• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 announced..weather, night racing all tracks, HD Youtube uploads, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.
MrJollyLivesNextDoor said:
14buc02.jpg
Manibu Orido's Super GT IS350...sweet! =)

Tell me PD's officially got the Super GT license (and D1GP) for GT5 as part of their announcement for next week's Tokyo Motor Show...it seems like a shoe-in at this point.

If so, then we'll all be able to drive this bad boy (which I posted from this thread)
01.JPG

I can imagine all the 'WTF?!' reactions when people see this in the BMW dealership in GT5 :lol

Darklord

Banned
Oh right sorry. I forgot this was fanboy central, how dare I praise GT5 and NOT praise prologue at the same time! Ha, next I'll be going into the Halo thread and claim it isn't the greatest thing ever created.

But like I said. Prologue is bland. I don't give a shit what screens you pull up, the cars look nice, the rest looks flat and unappealing to me and even in those shots the lighting and backgrounds are considerably less impressive than what GT5 has shown, and of course damage models too. So I don't know what your on about, you fanboys will have to suck it up and take my *gasp* opinion(yes I know, that word is poison around here).

Firewire

Banned
Darklord said:
Oh right sorry. I forgot this was fanboy central, how dare I praise GT5 and NOT praise prologue at the same time! Ha, next I'll be going into the Halo thread and claim it isn't the greatest thing ever created.

But like I said. Prologue is bland. I don't give a shit what screens you pull up, the cars look nice, the rest looks flat and unappealing to me and even in those shots the lighting and backgrounds are considerably less impressive so I don't know what your on about so you fanboys will have to suck it up and take my *gasp* opinion(yes I know, that word is poison around here).

yawn.

Darklord said:
But like I said. Prologue is bland. I don't give a shit what screens you pull up, the cars look nice, the rest looks flat and unappealing to me and even in those shots the lighting and backgrounds are considerably less impressive than what GT5 has shown, and of course damage models too. So I don't know what your on about, you fanboys will have to suck it up and take my *gasp* opinion(yes I know, that word is poison around here).

That's largely because the majority of the tracks in GT5 are based on race courses, and they're all bland looking. That's just the nature of race courses. London on the other hand has rather impressive lighting and is anything but bland. It falls into the same category as Tokyo Route 246 (the course shown in these screens). Of course overall GT5 has more impressive lighting than Prologue did as Kaz mentioned that was one of the visual elements that they were looking to improve on with GT5.

belvedere

Junior Butler
Darklord said:
Because saying "Wow that looks amazing, the lighting is perfect" means "HAHA LOLZ GT5 SUX FORZA 3 > DIS SHIT".

Who said that?

Darklord said:
God, some fanboys are wacko.

You're doing a good job of fitting that description yourself right now. Many people have tried to answer your concerns with data, quotes, facts and even screenshots, so please don't act like you've been treated like a complete troll-whether or not it's true.

Melfice7

Darklord said:
Wow, these new screenshots...I can't believe it'll look like this. It's like it's using CryEngine 2 or something. The lighting is just perfect. When I see shots like that they NEVER end up looking like that, even if its a small downgrade so I'll wait and see. As a fan of Forza, GT5 wins in graphics no doubt if it keeps that level up.

11runt0.jpg

first pic replay with depth of field, other pics gameplay

Darklord

Banned
belvedere said:
Who said that?

You, clearly. The second I posted you reply in a shitty and defensive way.

You're doing a good job of fitting that description yourself right now. Many people have tried to answer your concerns with data, quotes, facts and even screenshots, so please don't act like you've been treated like a complete troll-whether or not it's true.

I said GT5 looks great but I'll wait and see how it looks out of the box. You start going on about prologue. I say I think it looks plain and this looks way better. How is a couple of screen shots answering my concerns? I had none, I said it was nice and that's it.
And as I said. I don't care what the cars look like in prologue, they look fine, I'm talking about the rest, everyone's happy to post pics of the cars but the tracks, the crowds, the lighting, the backgrounds aren't nearly as good as the GT5 screenshots. How hard is that to understand? Can't I have an opinion? Am I going to get another 25 screenshots of a Ferrari now?

Edit: Oh jesus christ, I did just get Ferrari pictures.

commedieu

Banned
Darklord said:

You can say a ton of things. But Luckily GT has a game anyone can play and see that the game produces great second to none visuals. Both vehicle & track detail. Sure, you can always find the corner of segment b that you dont like. But its beyond anything anyone else is doing for car games. Not sure if you realize this, but the vehicle detail in GT has always been the main lure. The tracks are nice as well, but only with the vehicles in them. Afterall, people have desktop wallpapers of cars with solid color backdrops. Not a zoomed in a corner of lesarthe. Pretending those tracks that have been shown for GT5 are bland is some serious reality bending mind altering power imo.

And in the state of the top racing sims out today, its completely acceptable to represent your game with visuals that aren't found in gameplay or replays at all. With that in mind not sure what the issue is.

AMUSIX

deepbrown said:

What sort of accident leaves the side of a car pristine but knocks the door off? Not to play devil's advocate here, but I'm not seeing any damage system that's much more impressive than anything found in competitors. Seems like the same poorly scripted triggers we've been seeing for years.
I'm not asking for procedural stuff, as I understand what that entails, nor am I asking for Burnout level, but more intelligent triggers would be nice.
Still the game is 6 months off, and there's a lot of time to tweak those triggers. Hopefully they'll act as good as the game looks. Until then, shots like the above image will continue to look silly.

AMUSIX said:
What sort of accident leaves the side of a car pristine but knocks the door off? Not to play devil's advocate here, but I'm not seeing any damage system that's much more impressive than anything found in competitors. Seems like the same poorly scripted triggers we've been seeing for years.

That's because what you're looking at is damage code that they did in two weeks.

belvedere

Junior Butler
AMUSIX said:
I'm not asking for procedural stuff, as I understand what that entails, nor am I asking for Burnout level, but more intelligent triggers would be nice.
Still the game is 6 months off, and there's a lot of time to tweak those triggers. Hopefully they'll act as good as the game looks. Until then, shots like the above image will continue to look silly.

It certainly looks unnatural, in terms of how a real crash would play out anyway. What's eerie though is how fucking real the cars still look, even without the expected crumpling and deformation. It's hard to explain, but I guess when you see other damage models, you see the crumpled metal, the broken tail light or whatever and it just looks a bit off. Here what is actually damaged, looks pretty believable though, aside from what I just mentioned.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
SolidSnakex said:
They probably do that just for demo purposes, so that Polyphony could prove that they are doing damage. We already know that the damage that they're working on and that they've shown to the press looks quite a bit different from what we're seeing in these screens.
actually i like the direction they're moving in with that damage they demonstrate so far - it's entirely per-part, and does convey the impression that the car is not one monolithic block of metal most other damage-featuring racers give. also, it's a stepping stone toward proper, total structural damage simulation. like:

impact along surface A, vector(s) of impact such and such
* parts affected: A1, A2, A3:
** part A1 <- snapped in two
** part A2 <- collapsed structure
** part A3 <- loosened attachment
etc, etc

AMUSIX

bangladesh said:
Doesn't get any sexier than this.
careful...just had this play out in another thread...you do NOT want to start it here. Oh, sure, it starts with Robert Plant and Tom Jones, and everyone's happy with the sexy, but then it turn evil and suddenly you're accosted with gifs of macaroni salad chefs.

Darklord said:
Oh right sorry. I forgot this was fanboy central, how dare I praise GT5 and NOT praise prologue at the same time! ...

But like I said. Prologue is bland. ...
I'm sorry if you misinterpreted my post, but I was showing that GT5p and GT5 do not differ that much in visual fidelity. Yes, GT5 looks better, but the base models for vehicles are just as high-quality in Prologue. That was my only point; there was no intention of praising it or bashing your opinion that it is bland.

Edit - Thinking back, I initially got turned off by the clinical look of it, but my introduction to the game was when my job was a Sony games tester. The game in-motion quickly grew on me, so I didn't mind it as much.

The top of the buildings have a purple fringe, this is an (unwanted) effect you get in most compact digital camera's known as chromatic aberration - it even renders in the image in the same places it should occur in a photo like the edge of an object which is contrasted by strong sunlight behind it.

This might be splitting hairs, but I think it's just bloom done right rather than chromatic abberation. Chromatic abberation is to do with colours being seperated through refraction, while here you're just seeing the bright turquoise sky being blurred and added to the final image. The sky ends up looking pretty much white once it's been converted to the output colour depth, but turn down the brightness and you can still see a bit of it. There's also clouds to the left which turn the bloom whiter, as the red channel starts to go over the threshold for the blurring effect.

Edit: did a quick and dirty processing of a GT4 pic to show what I mean.
339oe9t.jpg

Cigol

Is there some consensus regarding these shots being from replay mode and spruced up? I'd always assumed they are from photomode myself.

AMUSIX said:
There's video footage of them damaging the Ferrari 458 on youtube. Visually it represents the same sort of paint scraping you get in FORZA but with no deformation. There's also screenshots of another car, I forget which, that has dents and cracks but no paint scraping. It looks like their damage model is in very early stages and the marketing peep(s) are using early code to dole out some screenshots. I guess we'll have to wait until closer to release.

The door flapping stuff though... a side-effect of early code I hope!

Cigol said:
Is there some consensus regarding these shots being from replay mode and spruced up? I'd always assumed they are from photomode myself.

They're from the photomode. But you need to go through a replay to get to the photomode.

AirBrian

belvedere said:
Always been a fan of Cornell but haven't gave his solo work much of a chance.
His latest album (also called "Scream") is pretty damn good IMO. Definitely different though -- it was produced by Timbaland. "Climbing Up the Walls" is my favorite track off that album.

-viper-

Banned
Darklord said:
You, clearly. The second I posted you reply in a shitty and defensive way.

I said GT5 looks great but I'll wait and see how it looks out of the box. You start going on about prologue. I say I think it looks plain and this looks way better. How is a couple of screen shots answering my concerns? I had none, I said it was nice and that's it.
And as I said. I don't care what the cars look like in prologue, they look fine, I'm talking about the rest, everyone's happy to post pics of the cars but the tracks, the crowds, the lighting, the backgrounds aren't nearly as good as the GT5 screenshots. How hard is that to understand? Can't I have an opinion? Am I going to get another 25 screenshots of a Ferrari now?

Edit: Oh jesus christ, I did just get Ferrari pictures.
wat

So you're in absolute shock because GT5 looks better than GT5 Prologue, a two year old game? :\

If you want a good track with nice lighting, then go play London in GT5P. It's quite easily one of the most impressive looking tracks in any game.

bud

wasn't the dynamic day/night cycle thing confirmed by that french guy who did an interview with kaz? i think he was the only one who mentioned it, but still, it seemed reliable to me.

-viper-

Banned
bud said:
wasn't the dynamic day/night cycle thing confirmed by that french guy who did an interview with kaz? i think he was the only one who mentioned it, but still, it seemed reliable to me.
That is apparently the case, but I'll believe it when I see it.

-viper- said:
That is apparently the case, but I'll believe it when I see it.
I'm pretty much with viper on this. I have no doubts about the technical prowess of PD, but honestly their feature list has gotten a quite heavy and I have not read any solid news or information, just lots of hints, ambiguous musings and incomplete information from foreign publications.

I'll keep my hype and expectations under wraps until I hear something solid (like a press release) from PD or Sony.

Wont stop me from drooling over the screenshots in this thread though. :D

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Graphics Horse said:
This might be splitting hairs, but I think it's just bloom done right rather than chromatic abberation.
chromatic abberation is a form of bloom.

bloom is an optical effect, close in nature to CA but in the general case not related to a certain wavelength, whereas chromatic abberation is.

-viper-

Banned
iamcool388 said:
I'm pretty much with viper on this. I have no doubts about the technical prowess of PD, but honestly their feature list has gotten a quite heavy and I have not read any solid news or information, just lots of hints, ambiguous musings and incomplete information from foreign publications.

I'll keep my hype and expectations under wraps until I hear something solid (like a press release) from PD or Sony.

Wont stop me from drooling over the screenshots in this thread though. :D
yeah. there seem to be far too many features in GT5. Deformable damage for all cars? Day/night racing? Weather effects?

As a rule of thumb - if it is too good to be true, it probably is.

MrPliskin

Banned
Man, got GT PSP, and it hasn't made the wait for this that much easier, lol. Still, I'm hoping to hear more on weather soon. Damage is cool, but I'd really love to see some RAIN.

-viper- said:
yeah. there seem to be far too many features in GT5. Deformable damage for all cars? Day/night racing? Weather effects?

As a rule of thumb - if it is too good to be true, it probably is.
I'm really hoping that Kaz Yamauchi wasnt just tossing out possibilities, he mentioned real time deformation when the March '10 release date was announced. I sometimes get the feeling that PD didnt set that March 2010 date at all, Sony did.

theignoramus said:
I'm really hoping that Kaz Yamauchi wasnt just tossing out possibilities, he mentioned real time deformation when the March '10 release date was announced. I sometimes get the feeling that PD didnt set that March 2010 date at all, Sony did.

Well, the main thing is to only believe stuff that Kaz has actually said. He's never said that they're definitely doing day/night cycles or that there will be weather effects. He's said that they're working on it and whether or not that stuff appears in GT5 will depend on the type of performance impact they have on the game. Now night racing alone seems to be a lock as he's mentioned that they're working on making that look even more realistic than it did in the video that was shown to the press at TGS. But that's just night racing, it doesn't confirm a day/night cycle.

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
It's been said a few times that they are still working on the damage and that the final version is actually physics driven. What you've seen is in progress. I think it's been looking good so far, but completely realistc? No... but no racer I've seen has shown realistic damage. Closest realistic damage is probably Dirt 2 but it's still somewhat primitive.

I'm looking forward to seeing GT5's final physics driven damage model (deforming the mesh).

AMUSIX said:
I have some pills for you.

Thunderbear said:
It's been said a few times that they are still working on the damage and that the final version is actually physics driven. What you've seen is in progress. I think it's been looking good so far, but completely realistc? No... but no racer I've seen has shown realistic damage. Closest realistic damage is probably Dirt 2 but it's still somewhat primitive.

I'm looking forward to seeing GT5's final physics driven damage model (deforming the mesh).

hmmm, tbh of what i've seen so far i must admit burnout paradise actually exceeded my expectations in terms of damage.

I've been thinking about how time consuming it would be for them to incorporate damage if they had to model new 'swap-in' deformed parts for every car, the Live for Speed guys implemented damage on their existing cars using a dynamic/deformable mesh similar to what GTA4/Burnout Paradise uses (but not as good and much more prone to completely fucked up looking cars after a crash ...in a bad way, for example you can end up with the bumper being pushed so far back it clips through the wheel arch)

I'm wondering if that would even be possible on GT5 type models, they are hugely detailed so i'm wondering how easy it would be to move so many vert's using physics according to the speed/angle of the impact etc

hmmm, tbh of what i've seen so far i must admit burnout paradise actually exceeded my expectations in terms of damage.

I've been thinking about how time consuming it would be for them to incorporate damage if they had to model new 'swap-in' deformed parts for every car, the Live for Speed guys implemented damage on their existing cars using a dynamic/deformable mesh similar to what GTA4/Burnout Paradise uses (but not as good and much more prone to completely fucked up looking cars after a crash ...in a bad way, for example you can end up with the bumper being pushed so far back it clips through the wheel arch)

I'm wondering if that would even be possible on GT5 type models, they are hugely detailed so i'm wondering how easy it would be to move so many vert's using physics according to the speed/angle of the impact etc
I think Grid did something like LFS deformation, but with limits. The times I would smack the corner of my car into a wall in that game it would (most of the time) look different each time.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Make it rain Yamauchi san, i have my umbrella... i only need the rain.

Fersis said:
Make it rain Yamauchi san, i have my umbrella... i only need the rain.

At the very least, I think there will be designated "wet" tracks/events.

Dynamic weather conditions seems ambitious, but it wouldn't surprise me if it is included. Kaz did bring it up as something they are working on, along with damage. And damage has come to fruition.

The screens that came out yesterday were from the official site update for today. That was the last update for the TGS build. But they did post one new screen

34s30y8.jpg

Looks like they'll be at least 2 McLaren F1 race cars in GT5, unless it's the same as the first one from GT4 but with an edited livery. But I think it's asking a bit much for a livery editor to be in GT5.
I hope there's a road McLaren F1 in the game too.

Goldrusher

Slackbladder said:
Looks like they'll be at least 2 McLaren F1 race cars in GT5, unless it's the same as the first one from GT4 but with an edited livery. But I think it's asking a bit much for a livery editor to be in GT5.
I hope there's a road McLaren F1 in the game too.
Eh?

Are you talking about the orange car in the last screenshot ? That's no McLaren.
It's the ASL ARTA Garaiya.

800px-ARTA_Garaiya_2005.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom