• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 |OT2| We Love Cars

Hanmik said:
what does that car cost..? I only have around 1.8 million credits at the moment.. (bought way to many obscure cars:D )

I remember it from GT3.. loved it in that game..

It's about 5mil I think, I won Like the Wind with a fully tuned and race modded Corvette ZR-1. Total cost was about 600'000 fully tuned I think, wasn't an easy win though.

Hanmik

heliconsoul said:
It's about 5mil I think, I won Like the Wind with a fully tuned and race modded Corvette ZR-1. Total cost was about 600'000 fully tuned I think, wasn't an easy win though.

ahhh this sound more like my kind of ride then..

Sorc3r3r

So... i bronzed the Vettel challenges.
It was not as hard as i were expecting and way more fun!
I can see me silvering them too but anyone who has or will gold them has my eternal admiration. ;)

Melfice7

Sorc3r3r said:
So... i bronzed the Vettel challenges.
It was not as hard as i were expecting and way more fun!
I can see me silvering them too but anyone who has or will gold them has my eternal admiration. ;)

i have 66% of your admiration then :O im soooooo close of golding suzuka but i keep missing for 0.100's

alterno69

Banned
I camw back to the game yesterday after a looong holiday break away from it, it was awesome. Too bad they noobiefied the seasonal races but they're still a lot of fun. Time to get back to A and B spec mode after over a month of only playing seasonañ events :)

They really,really, need to add leaderboards. At this point, I'm satisfied sticking to time attacks, but they would be that much sweeter if I new what times the cream of the crop were setting.
What is everyone's favourite track? Most hated?
The regular/24 hour version of Nordschleife is a driver's paradise and the best looking track in the game. The flow of TokyoR246 is good for anything above 450hp, Sarthe is good (in LeMans cars, at least) and Tsukubu and Suzuka are great for mid and high end vehicles.
Trial Mountain and the High Speed Ring are pretty good in their own ways, even if one of them has GT4 visuals.

In terms of my least favourite tracks, I cant stand the full layout of CapeRing, London is an awkward, dull track, Madrid is forgettable, and Fuji Speedway is AWFUL.

I'm going mad!!!!

Europa Special '71 purchased.
1 minute ago

Esprit V8 GT '98 purchased.
1 minute ago

Tigra 1.6i '99 purchased.
2 minutes ago

MINI ONE '02 purchased.
3 minutes ago

156 2.5 V6 24V '98 purchased.
4 minutes ago

CL 600 '00 purchased.
5 minutes ago

SKYLINE GT-R V・spec II N1 (R34) '00 purchased.
5 minutes ago

IMPREZA Sedan WRX STi Version IV '97 purchased.
6 minutes ago

SIRION X4 (J) '00 purchased.
7 minutes ago

Lancer Evolution II GSR '94 purchased.
8 minutes ago

350Z Gran Turismo 4 Ltd. (Z33) '05 purchased.
9 minutes ago

RX-7 Type RZ (FD, J) '93 purchased.
10 minutes ago

3400S '00 purchased.
10 minutes ago

F10 '10 purchased.
52 minutes ago

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
theignoramus said:
They really,really, need to add leaderboards. At this point, I'm satisfied sticking to time attacks, but they would be that much sweeter if I new what times the cream of the crop were setting.
Favorite:
Tsukuba - overall balance, good for both slower and faster vehicles
Laguna Seca - ditto, and possibly the best track in NA
Nordschleife - amazing for anything up to upper-mid-tier vehicles, quickly turns into sheer insanity for the fastest vehicles
Suzuka - one of the speedier circuits out there
Sarthe - the fastest of them all, you can take the wildest vehicles there

Not my cup of tea:
Monza - total lack of imagination
Top gear track - not a racing track
Infineon - not such a bad track per se, but it does not live up to its potential; it's a laguna seca wannabe.

Dead Man

theignoramus said:
The regular/24 hour version of Nordschleife is a driver's paradise and the best looking track in the game. The flow of TokyoR246 is good for anything above 450hp, Sarthe is good (in LeMans cars, at least) and Tsukubu and Suzuka are great for mid and high end vehicles.
Trial Mountain and the High Speed Ring are pretty good in their own ways, even if one of them has GT4 visuals.

In terms of my least favourite tracks, I cant stand the full layout of CapeRing, London is an awkward, dull track, Madrid is forgettable, and Fuji Speedway is AWFUL.
I agree on London, Madrid and Fuji, terrible tracks. For lower power cars I love Deep Forest, and I actually like the full Cape Ring. I like the combination of technical corners that are not too slow (Like Fuji) and the sweeping sections.

blu said:
Favorite:
Tsukuba - overall balance, good for both slower and faster vehicles
Laguna Seca - ditto, and possibly the best track in NA
Nordschleife - amazing for anything up to upper-mid-tier vehicles, quickly turns into sheer insanity for the fastest vehicles
Suzuka - one of the speedier circuits out there
Sarthe - the fastest of them all, you can take the wildest vehicles there

Not my cup of tea:
Monza - total lack of imagination
Top gear track - not a racing track
Infineon - not such a bad track per se, but it does not live up to its potential; it's a laguna seca wannabe.
LOL, I love Monza and Infineon, greatly prefer Infineon to Laguna Seca! Tsukuba is great too.

Toxa

PetriP-TNT said:
Any tips for the 'Ring GT-R trophy? (Other than just drive as fast as you can)

edit: nevermind :p

Dive as fast as you can, there's no secret trick, if you fail it means you do not know enough the track.

you should gold the amg event and the trophy will be a cake walk

edit: bravo

FTO GPX '99 purchased.
11 minutes ago

IMPREZA WRX STi Prodrive Style '01 purchased.
28 minutes ago

Z ACT '70 purchased.
33 minutes ago

LEGACY B4 Blitzen '00 purchased.
35 minutes ago

WiLL VS '01 purchased.
37 minutes ago

CIVIC TYPE R (EP) '04 purchased.
37 minutes ago

MINI COOPER '02 purchased.
38 minutes ago

Clix Concept '01 purchased.
39 minutes ago

ECLIPSE GT '06 purchased.
40 minutes ago

Lancer Evolution VI GSR '99 purchased.
41 minutes ago

ALTEZZA AS200 '98 purchased.
42 minutes ago

IMPREZA Sedan WRX STi Version '00 purchased.
43 minutes ago

ARISTO V300 '00 purchased.
45 minutes ago

And there! My shopping spree is over... for now.

Anyone wanna trade Museum cards? Just noticed that I got quite a few duplicates.

Quake1028

Westonian said:
Because he sent me a Toyota 7, fully tuned and broken in. Historic Racers was a cake walk with that car (though my burning hatred of the Chaparral 2j has not diminished. Burn in hell you dirty fan car!)

Thanks Gloomy! Need it back? I also have a Peugeot 908 (playstation blue) if you would prefer that.

Yeah, I would like it back. I still have to do that 1 damn B-spec race in that cup that my drivers seem incapable of doing anything over 2nd in.

KingOfKong said:
Heck yeah! Psn name is MustacheBandit

Been saving up for that thing and the 2j and the grind is killin me

You are up first tonight. After 7PM I will send you the Ferrari. Did you give me a list of what you had for trade?

Crakatak187 said:
I'm asking for the Carbon X1.

I don't want to seem like a mooch I'll post some cars I have if you want.

Peugeot 908
Ford Test car LM 2
Toyota GT one
R89 Race Car
Judd Race car 05 not the courage one.

OK, no problem. Just send whichever of those you think looks the coolest. Probably the 908, I guess? You are up tomorrow (Wed night).

And I have another forum member lined up for Thursday, so after that I can continue cloning the Ferrari or the X1.

What are you guys recommending for the Like the Wind challenge? Pagani Zonda?

Does it matter what kind of Nascar I choose for those races or are they different?

Patrick Bateman said:
What are you guys recommending for the Like the Wind challenge? Pagani Zonda?

Does it matter what kind of Nascar I choose for those races or are they different?

Minolta or that Race Modified Chevolet... I think the NASCARs are all the same

cilonen

Every time I enter section 3 of Fuji at the bottom hairpin left/right flick I silently curse The Great Satan Hermann Tilke (to give him his full title) and all his offspring.

Laguna Seca, Suzuka, Nordschliefe, SS Route 7 (just because it's a really thinly disguised Wangan Expressway) and Deep Forest Raceway are my faces.

Aside from Tilke Fuji; Nurburgring GP, Daytona Road, London and Madrid are my most annoying.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Gloomfire said:
I did it in the Zonda.
I've been considering getting a Zonda for that race myself, but people have been saying that the old RM'd ZR1 does the job too. So, shall I get the Zonda? *looking for excuses to buy an obscenely expensive non-racer*

Apropos, finally got to that nascar@Nordschleife seasonal event, and I must say Polyphony totally wussed it out - I expected 5 sec penalties for touches and mechanical damage as a bare minimum :D

brentech

Patrick Bateman said:
In a couple of hours I went from level 20 to 23 and from 800k to 2400k. Thanks to the third seasonal events. :lol
I just hit level 22 on my secondary account in which I've only done seasonals and kart/nascar specials. Minimum time, a whole lot of money, and I just ship some pricey cars over to my main account.

Gloomfire said:
OK, no problem. Just send whichever of those you think looks the coolest. Probably the 908, I guess? You are up tomorrow (Wed night).

And I have another forum member lined up for Thursday, so after that I can continue cloning the Ferrari or the X1.
Cool. I'll send you the 908 tomorrow then.

Shaneus

brentech said:
I just hit level 22 on my secondary account in which I've only done seasonals and kart/nascar specials. Minimum time, a whole lot of money, and I just ship some pricey cars over to my main account.
So that's working for you? How pricey is "pricey"?

PS. Have we had any word on the internet-based B-spec management? That would make shit SO much easier for XP grinding.

brentech

Shaneus said:
So that's working for you? How pricey is "pricey"?

PS. Have we had any word on the internet-based B-spec management? That would make shit SO much easier for XP grinding.
Yeah, just started the account days after Bonus Event 3 was released.
Have recently bought: Storm V12 (1.9mil CR), McLaren MP4-12C '10, High End Performance G37 (SEMA Gran Turismo Awards 2008), BMW 135i Coupe '07, TVR T350C ‘03.
Feel like I'm missing a car or 2 from that list, but I'm still sitting on over a million CR and haven't even done all the Bonus events yet.

Some people are sending the cars needed to complete the events from their main account, but I'm not even doing that. So I'm also buying those cars, which I'll eventually send to the main as well.

X-Frame

brentech said:

I think I may do that this weekend. You get 3.5 mil just for Bonus Seasonal 3's.

brentech

Oh snaps, my GT5 game of the year award nomination got quoted in the GOTY thread, lol
No game has me as excited to play it both on release day and well into the future as GT5. Feeling the weight of your car shift through a bend, the tires screaming as they maintain grip to the road, and trying to steer a 60s American muscle car has never felt so rewarding. The first few updates were early and fixed a lot of the basic complaints people had. The leveling curve is still weird, but it's a driving simulator and it's a damn good one.
I still hold to that. I love it.
I hate BSpec

Got my B-spec lvl21 ticket........Jeff Gordon NASCAR FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

My A-spec I got a damn nascar, I already bought one for seasonal,...Can't sell the fuckers FUUUUUUUUUUUU

Mohonky

Hey guys need a bit of help.

Need to get the 3D side of this game going. I haven't updated beyond what was already on the disc so 3.50 firmware. Using a 110" Projector screen with a JVC X7 3D projector through an Anthem MRX700.

When I goto Display Settings and select Automatic it picks up 1080/3D just fine. However when I get into the game I can't select 3D Options in the Hardware options, it just gives me a noise but won't open up the options or enable 3D in game. Any idea what is going on here?

Leveling up in B-Spec seems to have such little affect from one level to the next. I just leveled up twice, went back and did an event my driver struggled with, and he did noticeably worse, even though his mood was good and he had a green arrow.

EDIT: Whoever said it's all about tires in B-Spec is spot-on. Upgraded the tires on my car, and the same race was a cakewalk.

Mohonky said:
Hey guys need a bit of help.

Need to get the 3D side of this game going. I haven't updated beyond what was already on the disc so 3.50 firmware. Using a 110" Projector screen with a JVC X7 3D projector through an Anthem MRX700.

When I goto Display Settings and select Automatic it picks up 1080/3D just fine. However when I get into the game I can't select 3D Options in the Hardware options, it just gives me a noise but won't open up the options or enable 3D in game. Any idea what is going on here?

Yep. get your Ps3 to 'rescan' for display settings.
I had the same issue with my VT20, i just went into the ps3 settings and got it to automatically scan for my tv. then the options were enabled in gt5. but beware of the settings! they suck balls.

good luck.

Shaneus

brentech said:
Oh snaps, my GT5 game of the year award nomination got quoted in the GOTY thread, lol

I still hold to that. I love it.
I hate BSpec
No offense personally, but I still don't really get how the inner-core of the game can qualify GT5 for GOTY when so much more is wrong with it. The actual driving is great (don't get me wrong) but with the graphical glitches, menu clutter, relentless need for grinding and general unevenness about the whole thing, I just can't see how anyone can give Polyphony a pass and still grant it GOTY. So many other games last year did things more things consistently right and are more deserving of praise than GT5, IMO.

Keep in mind, this isn't a troll post or anything, just how I feel. A great driving model does not a perfect gaming experience make. Not for me, anyway... but maybe for you :)

X-Frame

Shaneus said:
No offense personally, but I still don't really get how the inner-core of the game can qualify GT5 for GOTY when so much more is wrong with it. The actual driving is great (don't get me wrong) but with the graphical glitches, menu clutter, relentless need for grinding and general unevenness about the whole thing, I just can't see how anyone can give Polyphony a pass and still grant it GOTY. So many other games last year did things more things consistently right and are more deserving of praise than GT5, IMO.

Keep in mind, this isn't a troll post or anything, just how I feel. A great driving model does not a perfect gaming experience make.

I agree. The driving is what keeps me going back to try out another car or other races, but the design decisions, load times, screen tearing, etc still drive me crazy and make it much harder for me to simply enjoy the driving.

-Amon-

theignoramus said:

Suzuka is the most technical of them all, it's great to drive with any car starting from stock impreza's and going up.

Monza is great for multiplayer ( with people who know what they'r doing of course ). Easy to pass, difficult to pull away. Any rwd car with more that 400 hp shines for me at monza.

The ring of course, but less for multiplayer racing ( it's really difficult to pass, it takes a lot of patience ), but it's nirvana for the pure joy of driving on it. Just use something with working suspensions or it will be a nightmare.

For low / mid powered cars great tracks are Tsukuba, Autumn Ring and Clubman / SS Route 5.

Tokyo R246 as a great layout, but i tend not to like high speed circuits with walls all around.

Le Mans with variable meteo / time of day shines with race cars and long races of course.

The ones i don't really like are Deep Forest ( not for the graphics but track layout, too many elevation changes ), London ( too narrow for multiplayer and time attack for me )

Hanmik

just saw this thread:

http://www.ps3trophies.org/forum/gran-turismo-5/87899-automatic-spec-b-spec-grinding.html

:lol :lol

so this guy build a device that lets him grind .. (he is using the Red Bull X2010 on Indy)

i can now aspec and bspec the DREAM CAR INDY Race over and over again unattended for as long as i like (limited by the life of the PS3)

5cEZ2.jpg

YyR0T.jpg

jXVrr.jpg

15kXw.jpg

dkXwA.jpg

pz3xP.jpg

this is his second build of this contraption...

here is a gif of the first build... (didn´t work as intended), just so that you can see how it is supposed to work.

Ryto3.gif

:lol

Shaneus

Hanmik said:
just saw this thread:

http://www.ps3trophies.org/forum/gran-turismo-5/87899-automatic-spec-b-spec-grinding.html

:lol :lol

so this guy build a device that lets him grind .. (he is using the Red Bull X2010 on Indy)

http://i.imgur.com/5cEZ2.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/YyR0T.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/jXVrr.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/15kXw.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/dkXwA.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/pz3xP.jpg[IMG]

this is his second build of this contraption...

here is a gif of the first build... (didn´t work as intented), just so that you can see how it is supposed to work.

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Ryto3.gif[IMG]

:lol[/QUOTE]
Wow. Can't knock his ingenuity or persistence!

Yesterday I finally had some time to get back into this game. However, after a few races I seemed to hit a wall: I need to complete the Historic Cup and I haven't got a single car that stands a chance. I have the 1970 Challenger, and while the power is OK it is twice as heavy as those frikkin' Chaparrals and Toyotas. I hate to use the birthday glitch or beg for a car, so I guess there's nothing left for me than to grind my way up a level so I can start with the other events, right? I'm not so much into Nascar, so I guess I'll dive some more into the SLS/Ring challenges.

Is there a B-spec that awards you with a usable car (I'm at 14 or 15 in B-spec)? It seems that this is really a catch-22.

I also realized that, as I have almost exclusively played A and B-spec, I haven't seen rain yet and only one or two night races. How odd that they haven't included those into some races at least.

swordfishtrombones said:
Yesterday I finally had some time to get back into this game. However, after a few races I seemed to hit a wall: I need to complete the Historic Cup and I haven't got a single car that stands a chance. I have the 1970 Challenger, and while the power is OK it is twice as heavy as those frikkin' Chaparrals and Toyotas. I hate to use the birthday glitch or beg for a car, so I guess there's nothing left for me than to grind my way up a level so I can start with the other events, right? I'm not so much into Nascar, so I guess I'll dive some more into the SLS/Ring challenges.

Is there a B-spec that awards you with a usable car (I'm at 14 or 15 in B-spec)? It seems that this is really a catch-22.
This was the first cup I had difficulties with. I tried and tried with the shelby but no luck. Read somewhere to give it a shot with the old countach and after a bit of tuning/tweaking I finally scored first place. I can't seem to beat the F1 though. Haven't really hunkered down with this one yet but it doesn't seem to be easy. I think it's the last race I have left with the exception of the longer endurances. Any tips on the FormulaGT cup? I think I can do it if I just sit down with it for an hour or two but any tips that I'm missing? Not sure if I've tried Skid Recovery Force but I think I did and it didn't seem to make much of a difference with the FGT.

zoukka

Finnish Pelit review finally in. Shared my thoughts about the game pretty closely.

+ Great physics/visuals
+ Great FF

-Bad AI
-Clunky and slow UI.

81/100

gutterboy44 said:
:lol omg, that grinding contraption is genius. All he needs now is for the fan to be blowing on his PS3 to seal the meta-ness.

Hey, i´m always using a fan on my PS3, specially now that it´s summer here. Just can´t take any chances with it.

Yesterday finally took the time to do it and used the birthday exploit. Got myself the 330 P4 and the Mark IV, so 40 million saved.

That´s about 40 hours of dream car a-spec indy grinding worth of money. (X2010, 6 minutes per race 107,000 per race, or a million each hour).

I love it, i´ll do this for the ultra expensive cars, it´s great.

Who wants to trade museum cards? I made a list of the duplicated ones I have:

Audi:
No. 036 x 2
No. 070
No. 072

BMW:
No. 030

CITROEN:
No. 001
No. 050
No. 095
No. 096
No. 103
No. 106
No. 125
No. 181
No. 202
No. 246

FORD:
No. 031
No. 035
No. 151
No. 181
No. 236
No. 253

MERCEDES BENZ:
No. 049
No. 088
No. 143

MITSUBISHI:
No. 043

NISSAN:
No. 005
No. 034

RENAULT:
No. 035
No. 064

TOYOTA:
No. 031
No. 046
No. 095

If you're interested just let me know what duplicates you have.

I also have these duplicate cars that I wanna get rid off:
RLwoA.jpg

If you want them let me know, if you got something to exchange them for good, if not I don't care.

Top Bottom