• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 set to release on November 2nd [S-CONF]

Status
Not open for further replies.
If they tune the headtracking properly then turning your head is the best option. You won't have to turn it much at all, and certainly not to the point that it's difficult to keep your eyes on the screen.

-viper- said:
An interesting post by Amar on GTPlanet. I can't believe only 20 people @ PD are modelling the cars. No wonder we've only got 200 fully recreated cars. 10 cars per person in 5 years? Kaz was telling the truth after all - 1 car takes 6 month to model. D:

Insane. And then people come onto gaf and tell us how they modelled a car in a month in their spare time, and ask wtf is taking so long. :lol

J-Rzez

Death Dealer said:
Insane. And then people come onto gaf and tell us how they modelled a car in a month in their spare time, and ask wtf is taking so long. :lol

Well, maybe the people here can go teach PD a thing or two then, because they're obviously not doing it right. :D

Metalmurphy said:
They need to tune that down a notch. We should have to turn our head that much.

I'd say make an adjustable setting for the sensitivity. Everyone has different tastes of course.

SolidSnakex said:
If they tune the headtracking properly then turning your head is the best option. You won't have to turn it much at all, and certainly not to the point that it's difficult to keep your eyes on the screen.

In the video, using a clock as a reference, straight ahead being 12 O'clock. The Sony Producer was turning between 9 and 10 O'clock. So a good turn would be what? look left 11 O'clock and look right 1 O'clock. Are you talking about that type of tuning if this makes since? Or a sensitivity setting?

As far as head tracking goes, aren't you failing to look at the road whichever way you do it? Your either not looking at the TV (head turning) or not looking at the in game road (head moving).

spats

MikeDub said:
As far as head tracking goes, aren't you failing to look at the road whichever way you do it? Your either not looking at the TV (head turning) or not looking at the in game road (head moving).

It's used so that you can look into your turns while playing. Your head and eyes move around quite a bit when driving a car. Head tracking works so that you can do small movements with your head and the moves are exaggerated in the game so you're never looking away from the screen.

As for the video above, it propably demos very poorly in a poorly lit exhibition hall. Also, since the game engine is running so much shit at 60fps, there's not propably that much overhead for precise face tracking. Still, I'm very happy that it's in and very excited to try it out for myself under proper conditions.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
dalin80 said:
It can never be natural due to the need to be staring at a fixed point on a screen.

(This isn't a direct response to the quoted post)

Are people not aware that you can turn your head a fair amount while your eyes remain focused on an object in front of you? I'm not saying it'll feel good or natural, but you won't have to use your peripheral vision or whatever.

Goldrusher

brotkasten said:
Will there be a track like Forza's Fujimi Kaido in GT5?
All signs point to this being in the game...

2vbwn77.jpg

gluv65 said:
In the video, using a clock as a reference, straight ahead being 12 O'clock. The Sony Producer was turning between 9 and 10 O'clock. So a good turn would be what? look left 11 O'clock and look right 1 O'clock. Are you talking about that type of tuning if this makes since? Or a sensitivity setting?

Yeah, as the main benefit of head tracking in racing games is that it allows you to track turns better. So you never really need to turn your head or the drivers head that much. You'll still largely use the side mirrors if you're trying to track a car coming up on your side.

brotkasten said:
It's not Fujimi Kaido, but ... interesting.
Holy shit

Don't get too excited. The only "signs" pointing to it come from the FT-86 video in which we see a new, unidentified road with guardrails apparently similar to the ones on that road in real life. Hopefully it's true, but it's just wishful thinking at this point.

Goldrusher

thuway said:
I don't even want to know the nightmare of modeling that track in game :lol.
It's a lot more useful than modeling photo mode locations.

Valkyr Junkie said:
Don't get too excited. The only "signs" pointing to it come from the FT-86 video in which we see a new, unidentified road with guardrails apparently similar to the ones on that road in real life. Hopefully it's true, but it's just wishful thinking at this point.
The guard rails, the walls, the tunnels, the landscape, the silhouette of the mountains, etc.
It's either an original track inspired by Stelvio, or it's Stelvio itself. I'd like to believe it's the latter.

Might have been pointed out, but

NQ07k.jpg

OuJES.jpg

It's another, possibly ficticious Swiss track. Could be following the train line to Grindelwald or something like that.

Valkyr Junkie said:
Booo @ reused texture.

Do you mean Booo @ reused location? It's all about the variations, remember!

A nice video of the video track

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wonh1OWShn4

Credit to sems4arsenal from GTplanet.

It does a good job of showing how nice the sense of speed is on that track. Although sems4arsenal posted it in order to show people that PD did animate the McLaren F1's spoiler as there were some complaints after CES because it didn't appear that it was animated.

Melfice7 said:
the FT-86 vid always gave me the impression of a remade eiger but im dumb

If it is Eiger then it looks like they completely scrapped GTHD/GT5P's Eiger and remade the course and much of surrounding location. I'm not sure why they'd do that as Eiger was fine the way it was.

Was just playing GT5P, checking out the intros for the race tracks in Arcade mode. So awesome.

I REALLY hope they bring this back in GT5, so much awesome in that HD footage.

scandisk_

Unconfirmed Member
SimHQ @e3

http://www.simhq.com/_commentary/all_101a.html

SIMHQ said:
Of all the studios that were showing racing titles, only Sony chose to showcase their new game properly — with a racing wheel and pedals. As a result, the entire SimHQ staff were drawn to the Sony PS3 mega-display like flies to, well, stuff.

Chunx was first up. After confirming with the Sony assistant that he could turn off the game's driving aids and set the physics to it's most realistic level, he took a seat in their sim cockpit and selected a Japan Super GT 500 Nismo GTR race car for a trip around the Nurburgring GP circuit. Every sim cockpit in the Sony display was equipped with a Logitech Driving Force GT wheel and pedals.

The car felt and drove as expected, demonstrating understeer, oversteer and power-on oversteer in an intuitive way. Although the physics engine of GT 5 has been extensively reworked since GT5-Prologue was released, the game still had a too-faint feel to the force feedback repsonse and wheel resistance. Entering the short back stretch of the GP circuit, the game abruptly shut off and defaulted back to the user interface. The assistant explained that the game demo was designed to run only for 2 minutes — too short a time to complete a lap at any road course on display, and certainly too short of a time to develop much of an opinion about the game.

Joe, guod, and Chipwich also got some seat time with GT5, but ConManly got to try out the game's Rally Cars on a gravel road. Having RBR and DiRT2 to compare it to, he felt that GT5's physics seemed to do a good job replicating this form of racing, although once again the feedback and resistance seemed to be a bit weak. Those of us with higher-end racing controllers such as the G27 and Fanatec PWTS or GT3RS were a bit underwhelmed by the DFGT, but that's not an issue for the game itself. We just hoped that the force feedback response on those products would be a bit more robust.

What little we did see of GT5 was impressive — particularly the graphics and car variety, and certainly seems to have physics and eye candy on a par with GT 5's main rival, Forza Motorsport 3. But GT5 has many game elements that set it above the bar raised last year by FM3, mostly due to limitations of the Xbox360 platform. In GT5, multiplayer races can host upwards of 30 participants, far more than the eight in FM3. And GT5 also boasts day/night transitions, something not available in FM3. It also has a wider variety of track surfaces, including gravel rally roads. While we wish GT5 had more robust force feedback effects strength, it does seem like a worthy simulation product, as far as we could tell. We expect that this game will sell many new PS3 boxes for Sony.

For those planning on playing GT5 in 3D

Not every game can be a Stardust but it's clear that it's still early days for 3D performance optimisation. MotorStorm: Apocalypse certainly looked far more impressive than the Pacific Rift demo, Killzone 3 is still in pre-alpha and Gran Turismo 5 looks simply phenomenal - to the naked eye there was no discernible impact on the visuals or frame-rate.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/playstation-3d-performance-analysis-article?page=2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdH8tFpkKYA&playnext_from=TL&videos=WX_Zvc-h7xs&feature=sub

A couple of things caught my eye.

First of all, props to ISR on asking three times about the premium/normal car differences. It's clear sony didn't want to make any statements.

After checking footage shown in the show, it seems that rims are still being displayed ad a 2d texture. I watched the show on PS3 and the crappy quality made me notice it.

Head tracking looks alot less responsive in this video than in the video on the previous page. Confirmation that it can be calibrated?

@29:19 did I see a hood cam?:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom