• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 set to release on November 2nd [S-CONF]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Madman said:
NA is GTs biggest potential market. The numbers clearly show it is.

Erm... no... they don't. 25M sales vs 19M.

Not to mention the continuous decline of sales there while the opposite happens in the EU.

KingDizzi

Banned
Madman said:
Every other GT didn't have pack ins? I doubt that. The numbers don't lie. The most popular GT by far sold the most in NA. No amount of arrows, exaggerated language, or smilies will change that.

Understand the difference between a pack in and a bundle. Bundles are released for high profile games like Halo 3, Fable, Killzone etc however pack ins just come with every single console sold like when every single pro sold came with Forza 2 and Viva Pinata 2. :D

Anyway no need to talk about a game released 8 years ago, it's the now which is relevant. GT5:p copied shipped in NA is less than half that of EU and Japan is even worse, NA and Japan just don't matter much.

Sales talk aside, at GTPlanet I have to say I'm getting rather confused. In the standard cars trailer someone at GTPlanet took a screenshot and it seems to be a GT4 model just copy/pasted into GT5. Common sense tells me that PD would at least do some work on those GT4 models before they go into GT5 however that does not look to be the case.

Bad screenshot or PD really going loco?

Madman

Metalmurphy said:

Not to mention the continuous decline of sales there while the opposite happens in the EU.
Adding together the combined sales of every GT in a territory does not measure how many people can potentially buy the game. Looking at how many copies of a game was sold in a territory does. And in this case, GT3 sold more in NA than any other GT in any individual territory.
amar212 said:
Yeah, especially when unbiased and objective media are taken into concern..
Not sure what you are trying to say...
KingDizzi said:
Understand the difference between a pack in and a bundle. Bundles are released for high profile games like Halo 3, Fable, Killzone etc however pack ins just come with every single console sold like when every single pro sold came with Forza 2 and Viva Pinata 2.

Anyway no need to talk about a game released 8 years ago, it's the now which is relevant. GT5:p copied shipped in NA is less than half that of EU and Japan is even worse, NA and Japan just don't matter much.
Yet more words which don't deny what I claim. And I like how you use words like "extremely weak" and "don't matter much" when these territories account for around half the sales of game. I bet PD cares nothing for those sales. And as long as we are living in the present, GT PSP sold nearly as many copies in NA as in the EU. But I guess that fits right in with your "1/3" number, right?

Madman said:
Adding together the combined sales of every GT in a territory does not measure how many people can potentially buy the game. Looking at how many copies of a game was sold in a territory does. And in this case, GT3 sold more in NA than any other GT in any individual territory.
:lol

So PS2 user base = PS3 user base? No.

Stop making stupid comparisons please.

PS1 Generation = More GT games sold in Europe
PS2 Generation = More GT games sold in Europe
PS3 Generation = More GT games sold in Europe
PSP Generation = More GT games sold in Europe.

Se a pattern here?

Classic24

Banned
so ok europe is GT's biggest market, US is the 2nd biggest market, does that make your e-penis bigger now? jeesh and yes who the fuck cares seriously

KingDizzi

Banned
Madman said:
Yet more words which don't deny what I claim. And I like how you use words like "extremely weak" and "don't matter much" when these territories account for around half the sales of game. I bet PD cares nothing for those sales. And as long as we are living in the present, GT PSP sold nearly as many copies in NA as in the EU. But I guess that fits right in with your "1/3" number, right?

Yeah GT3 sold best in NA, what of it? If you want to use GT titles released more than half a decade ago as a measure of success then what of the huge decline in sales between GT3 and GT4 in NA? There was a drop in sales between GT3 and GT4 in NA however a jump in EU. You can't help but ignore GT5:p sales though, what do you think about that?

It released 2 years ago on the PS3 and the sales in EU dwarf NA sales nicely. Japan just does not matter, a large chunk of those GT5:p sales came as a pack in during 2008. Stop talking about a game released 8 years ago and quit ignoring sales of games released more recently. EU matters most sales wise by far, followed by NA and lastly Japan.

That said PD are obviously ware of this happening and they want to change the trend. Any idea about how popular Nascar is in NA? When I flick through sky sports and see Nascar the crowds are pretty darn big. WRC to strengthen EU sales, Nascar for NA and Super GT for Japan.

Classic24 said:
so ok europe is GT's biggest market, US is the 2nd biggest market, does that make your e-penis bigger now? jeesh and yes who the fuck cares seriously

Slapping people around with my wonderful British e-winky means very little, just stating facts here. It's why EU gets the big collectors editions while NA and Japan does not, clearly Sony do not care about the potential market but rather the region where GT games sell the most.

Classic24

Banned
I wouldnt be surprised to see an ultimate edition in the US to be honest, im sure itll be announced at gamescon..........or im hoping it is.............

Madman

You guys are so fucking easy. I'm not serious. I just like ruffling all you Euro's feathers since you guys are so adamant about how GT's only market that matters is the EU.

Madman said:
You guys are so fucking easy. I'm not serious. I just like ruffling all you Euro's feathers since you guys are so adamant about how GT's only market that matters is the EU.

No one said that. You made a dumb comment, people corrected you. Dont start back tracking now

Oh and this "you guys" talk only says more about yourself then anyone else, specially since this was never about US vs EU, only about stating facts and you being wrong.

ummo

Banned
in the beggining it was a matter of release date, now, how many version will be... c'mon, let the game be released first, later we'll care about extra stuff..

anyway, the GT-R model kazunori signed looks great

Madman

Metalmurphy said:
No one said that. You made a dumb comment, people corrected you. Dont start back tracking now

Oh and this "you guys" talk only says more about yourself then anyone else, specially since this was never about US vs EU, only about stating facts and you being wrong.
First, please take more time to post what you want to say because stealth edits make replying to posts annoying.

Citing that GT3 sold more in copies in NA than any other GT in any other territory is a "dumb comment"? Funny, cause I thought it was a purely factual statement.

Really? This isn't about the US vs. the EU? Cause I could have sworn that this was said by you and King:
Compared to EU the sales in NA are extremely weak
NA and Japan just don't matter much

PS1 Generation = More GT games sold in Europe
PS2 Generation = More GT games sold in Europe
PS3 Generation = More GT games sold in Europe
PSP Generation = More GT games sold in Europe.

Se a pattern here?

Madman said:
First, please take more time to post what you want to say because stealth edits make replying to posts annoying.
Poor you.

Madman said:
Citing that GT3 sold more in copies in NA than any other GT in any other territory is a "dumb comment"? Funny, cause I thought it was a purely factual statement.
Actually, claiming that means that the US is GTs biggest market was the dumb part.

Madman said:
Really? This isn't about the US vs. the EU? Cause I could have sworn that this was said by you and King:
All those quotes are about GT sales... You on the other hand, starting to label people and all the "you Euro's" shit were making it a little bit more then that.

Sad really.

Madman

Metalmurphy said:
Poor you.

Actually, claiming that means that the US is GTs biggest market was the dumb part.

All about those quotes are about GT sales... You on the other hand, starting to label people and all the "you Euro's" shit were making it a little bit more then that.

Sad really.
Any yet, another stealth edit. :lol

Never said that the US was GTs biggest market. I said potential market. I was deliberate with my words.

If I truly disturbed you with my light hearted comments, I apologize.

Madman said:
Any yet, another stealth edit. :lol
Nothing stealthy about it, and it was a typo.

Madman said:
Never said that the US was GTs biggest market. I said potential market. I was deliberate with my words.
Yeah yeah, you can say what you want now, you tried to refute the comment that EU was GTs main market. You can twist that into whatever you want.

Madman

Metalmurphy said:
Nothing stealthy about it, and it was a typo.

Yeah yeah, you can say what you want now, you tried to refute the comment that EU was GTs main market. You can twist that into whatever you want.
Missing the whole phrase "Sad really" is a pretty big typo.

No, I didn't:

Metalmurphy said:
That still doesnt mean the US is GTs biggest market. Numbers show it clearly isn't.
Madman said:
NA is GTs biggest potential market. The numbers clearly show it is.
I was very careful with my phrasing and I NEVER said "NA is GTs biggest market." I cited GT3's numbers for the most part and the one time I said anything definitive about the NA market, I used "potential".

Madman said:
Missing the whole phrase "Sad really" is a pretty big typo.
No, I had the word "about" twice.
Madman said:
No, I didn't:
Yes you did.
Madman said:
CozMick said:
I'm not surprised to be honest, just look at GT5p sales and you could tell where the main market is.
Gran Turismo 3 sold more in the US than any other GT sold in any individual territory.

You were refuting that comment, therefore claiming US was GTs biggest market. Just cause you realized you were wrong later on and tried to spin things doesn't make you any less wrong.

Anyway this is pointless...
Gafapastismo said:
Do you know what track is this?

From 0:33 to 0:43 in this video (Ferrari California promotional Footage)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08svLVxcT0k

Thanks

Probably the same one that looks like stelvio pass

Madman

Metalmurphy said:
No, I had the word "about" twice.

Yes you did.
So you didn't stealth edit in "Sad really"?

If you are going to continue this, please show where in this thread I posted that NA was GTs biggest market, because all I said in the post you quoted was that GT3 sold more in the US than any other GT game in any individual territory. Any conclusion you or anyone drew from what I said was your own, and is not backed by any evidence.

Edit: I see you stealth edited again. No matter, I have said everything I wanted to, and if you really want to believe that I wasn't being factitious, so be it. Won't bother me. The evidence is clear.

Madman said:
So you didn't stealth edit in "Sad really"?

If you are going to continue this, please show where in this thread I posted that NA was GTs biggest market, because all I said in the post you quoted was that GT3 sold more in the US than any other GT game in any individual territory. Any conclusion you or anyone drew from what I said was your own, and is not backed by any evidence.

Edit: I see you stealth edited again. No matter, I have said everything I wanted to, and if you really want to believe that I wasn't being factitious, so be it. Won't bother me.

"US is not GTs biggest market"
you:"GT3 sold more in the US then any other GT"
"..."
you:"I didn't say it was it's biggest market"

Really Madman? No you didn't SAY it, but you sure as hell implied it and you fucking know it, because you were refuting that very same comment that claimed otherwise.

Whatever m8, I don't even know why you're here, all your posts in this thread are about this shit, doubt you even car about GT.

Madman said:
Edit: I see you stealth edited again. No matter, I have said everything I wanted to, and if you really want to believe that I wasn't being factitious, so be it. Won't bother me. The evidence is clear.
Clear you were wrong :lol

Madman

Metalmurphy said:
"US is not GTs biggest market"
you:"GT3 sold more in the US then any other GT"
"..."
you:"I didn't say it was it's biggest market"

Really Madman? No you didn't SAY it, but you sure as hell implied it and you fucking know it, because you were refuting that very same comment that claimed otherwise.

Whatever m8, I don't even know why you're here, all your posts in this thread are about this shit, doubt you even car about GT.
Please, for once, look at my posts under the assumption that you are wrong. Yes, I did post that under the assumption that it would be interpreted by others as me saying that NA is the biggest/main GT market. That was the point. I fished, you bit.

I am a very big GT fan. Wouldn't be in this thread if I wasn't.
Edit:
Clear you were wrong
I will admit I didn't expect someone to vehemently claim I was intending to say that the NA market was the biggest.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Metalmurphy said:
But you haven't been in this thread. Not until this pointless argument.
I think you're taking this a bit too personally, from a 3rd party perspective I think you're being trolled and you're falling for it.

Anyway, GT is huge here in the UK and GT5 will sell very well here and across Europe, especially with the Top Gear track (Underestimate the significance of this at your peril) to play with. That said I think the game will still sell very handily in the US, and frankly Sony would easily sell enough super collectors editions to make it worth it in both the US and Japan.

Still, I wont be buying the Super CE, unless if it comes with a steering wheel set that is PS3/PC compatible or something, then I will, heh. Anyone selling their G25? :p

Madman

Metalmurphy said:
But you haven't been in this thread. Not until this pointless argument.
This is true.

And you are right, it is a pointless argument. That's what I have been trying to tell you.

Obviously NA is not the main GT market because it only had 1 game that sold really well here. I just didn't expect for someone to carry it out like this.

Edit: I did this once before. It got similar results, I just gave up on it since no one kept replying.

slamskank

any of you guys using a wheelstand pro for the g25? I'm looking for a collapsible stand but it's pricy and I'm wondering if any cheaper and equally stable solutions will become available.

Saw this posted by Jordan from GTplanet

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8padDk9ZakE

Watch at 1:20. The dirt seems to be getting blown by wind

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NVxGjqNrEE

That's a video from the 24h of Nurburgring. You can see that the dirt doesn't kick up the same way. Is it just some glitch in the new video? In the description of the photo mode it did specify that it would have "full replication real world wind, weather and sounds". But that stuff hasn't been officially confirmed for the racing modes as of now.

Omiee

SolidSnakex said:
Saw this posted by Jordan from GTplanet

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8padDk9ZakE

Watch at 1:20. The dirt seems to be getting blown by wind

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NVxGjqNrEE

That's a video from the 24h of Nurburgring. You can see that the dirt doesn't kick up the same way. Is it just some glitch in the new video? In the description of the photo mode it did specify that it would have "full replication real world wind, weather and sounds". But that stuff hasn't been officially confirmed for the racing modes as of now.

looks like it gets blown away by the car either way it looked pretty weird almost like a glitch

Definitely looks like modeled wind to me. Good eye to spot that... if it has been confirmed that the photo mode replicates wind/weather, I would bet for sure it'll be announced for every mode at gamescom.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
So, besides the Logitech G-27 and hard to come by Fanatec wheel, what would be the next best AND cheaper option? I had to settle for the Microsoft wheel on the 360 and man it feels like a Fisher Price toy, thank god I bought it for a pittance and as-new.
Still, I'd love to stay lower than EUR130/$150.

Goldrusher

Logitech Driving Force GT
~€100-125

The official wheel. Great price-quality. Great wheel for the average gamer.

41CPVOMhJYL._SL290.jpg
41s8X5EWE5L._SL284_.jpg

Logitech G25 or G27
~€200-250

The bigger brother. The sim racer's favorite.

41s6CPn0pqL._SL700_.jpg

Fanatec Porsche GT3
~€300-350

The elite wheel. The pic doesn't show a stick shifter, but it's an optional accessory.

22m0bk.jpg

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Cool, thanks guys.
I'll see if I really can find the G27 for 200Eur but I doubt it (is there a PC/PS3 adapter thingie or does it simply work by USB for both platforms?). I wish I could know it being supported in future consoles too... I'd buy it in a hearbeat. The DFGT seems a good fit anyway! Hate that it doesn't have a clutch pedal but for that price I really can't complain if the rest is as good as you guys make it out to be (price/quality obviously) :)

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Goldrusher said:
Logitech Driving Force GT
~€100-125

The official wheel. Great price-quality. Great wheel for the average gamer.

Logitech G25 or G27
~€200-250

The bigger brother. The sim racer's favorite.

Fanatec Porsche GT3
~€300-350

The elite wheel. The pic doesn't show a stick shifter, but it's an optional accessory.

Driving Force GT wheel's shifter looks uncomfortable as fuck. :/

Porsche looks sexy, just wish it wasn't so expensive. :|

I'm in the market for a decent wheel with the manual shifter not on the wheel. To where shifting feels like I'm actually in the car (optional accessory, I guess?) with the paddle gearbox (handlebar shifters on the wheel) able to be taken on/off the wheel as needed. *sigh* Too bad that would be expensive as all hell to do. :/

Juicy Bob

I invested in a G27 last year, not only for GT5 but for all the PC sim racing games I have. The difference between the G27 and the old wheel I had (Logitech DF EX) is indescribable. After I'd adjusted to the feel of the G27 on GT5P, my laptimes on Time Trial plummeted. The 900* rotation gives you so much more control, enabling you to put the nose exactly where you want it in corners while the pedals give you so much more feel and control under braking. I know it's a bit pricey, but if you're in a position where you can afford a G27 and are just wondering about which wheel to go for, I'd say just go for the G27.

Since I've just bought a G25 for GT5, I would like some suggestions on some PC racing games which have good support for the wheel. I've been playing some DiRT 2 and that's very fun with the wheel.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Is the G27 going to be fully supported by GT5 on launch, though?

KingDizzi

Banned
TheSeks said:

There was a photo of the PD studio with the G27 box so it's pretty much a certainty. Really want to get that wheel but it's just too much. :(

Edit - Overclockers has it for £220, time to leech off daddy and place an order.
Don't worry I will pay him back in 4 years when I'm charging patients £400 for a root canal :p

paskowitz

Whenever the OP for GT5 FINALLY comes around wheels should definitely be included.

Also amar... any winds on these whole 3 collectors edition rummagings?

TheSeks said:

While the paddle shifter don't work for Prologue, they did work for the Time Trial. It didn't have clutch support though (neither did the G25), but that could change. But at the very least you'll be able to use the paddle shifter or stick shift to play GT5.

TylerD

slamskank said:
any of you guys using a wheelstand pro for the g25? I'm looking for a collapsible stand but it's pricy and I'm wondering if any cheaper and equally stable solutions will become available.

Yes, I have a WSP that I use with my G25. It is a bit pricey but IMO is very worth it. It is built very well and can be setup in a snap. It is also very adjustable and comes with all the tools necessary to be able to adjust it to fit you. It does wiggle just a bit based on the design but it will come no where near tipping over with "sane" use. The only major drawback is that you have to kind of work around the bar to get to the peddles but it took me all of a couple hours to get very comfortable with it.

In this episode of Inside Sim Racing they have a review: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7M5gQIKkYYA

If you order it in the US it will ship out of Dallas, TX. I was able to call the gentleman and ask him a couple of questions and directly place my order. He followed up with me a couple of days later to ask me how I liked it and if there were any issues. All around a great product and experience purchasing and I can't recommend it enough for someone that wants to have a dedicated sim rig that can easily be moved around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom