• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 set to release on November 2nd [S-CONF]

Status
Not open for further replies.

spwolf

PjotrStroganov said:
So this game uses the 'fake' 3d effect to minimize performance loss?

i doubt it... it is probably due to PD working on 3D for last 2 years. DF already said that fake 3D effect as in Batman didnt work well, I dont think they would turn around and call GT5's phenomenal in the same article.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Isn't the point of 3D to make a discernible impact on visuals?

"It is 3D."

"But I can't tell the difference?" ---you know, discern the impact

"Trust me, it is 3d."

"Uh, ok, whatever."

spwolf

Woo-Fu said:
Isn't the point of 3D to make a discernible impact on visuals?

"It is 3D."

"But I can't tell the difference?" ---you know, discern the impact

"Trust me, it is 3d."

"Uh, ok, whatever."

it would help a lot if you read the article ;-)

Even so, the other games showed performance loss or were optimized because there was room for it to do so. According to the article, GT5 showed none of both and that lead me to believe that they are using another technique. Obviously, it is possible that PD is able to hide were they made concessions. The DF team didn't have the chance to really analyse GT5.

TGateKeeper said:
look forward to your review on the build quality. I plan on buying the exact setup as u.

Been playing the last 2 days. Man, I love it :lol

Driving physics felt like second nature the first time I drove around, though that didnt stop me from wiping out countless times the first hour or so :p

The H-Shifter was tricky at first since it didnt have the same feel as my MT car irl, but I got the hang of it in about an hour as well.

The playseats is awesome. The countless adjustability of the seats made it very convenient to find the perfect driving position. The seat itself is pretty comfy and my ass doesnt get tired after a few hours of driving. Build quality is very good and well worth the money.

It's gonna take a lot of practice, but I prefer playing with the wheel than with the controller now. Night and Day difference :D

Btw GAF, how do I enable the G27's paddle shifters? I tried switching from MT/AT and they dont work so I cant use 7/8 speed cars unless I stick to AT =/

brentech

Metalmurphy said:
Set the shifter to sequential. Or does the G27 not have that option? oO
literally just read about that a few hours ago:

Just as the G25 shifter design required compromises, so too does the G27’s. Increasing the firmness and positive action of the H-pattern shifter not only meant tightening up some spring tensions, but also clearing out some conflicting hardware. After a lot of hand-wringing and arguing, the Logitech team decided that in order for the H-pattern to fulfill its destiny the sequential shifter had to go. Yes, you read that right: the G27 has no option for emulating a modern race car’s sequential transmission, other than the wheel’s paddle shifters.

And thats why I was hesitant on getting a G27 over a G25 for the longest time. The lack of sequential shifting was a downer. Though the price of the new G27 was cheaper than a used G25 set on eBay, so it was an obvious decision. I sure as hell dont want a used G25 only to find out the H/Sequential switch is broken and I cant use either :lol

Now you guys tell me G27 is too advanced for Prologue? @_@

I'm gonna have to wait until November to use them Paddle Shifters ;_;

It'd be nice if Logitech offered a standalone replacement sequential shifter. I think their market is enough of an enthusiast crowd to understand why it's a compromise to have them both in one unit.

brentech

After reading for a while about the different wheels, and the current understanding that the clutch doesn't give you the tactile feel/feedback of a real world clutch, I'm thinking I'm just going to go with the DFGT wheel. Good price and a pretty decent build to it.

I'm not going to buy right away though. I don't have anything to use it with right now for the most part, and I'll wait to see if any future info about GT5 makes me change my mind.

PjotrStroganov said:
After checking footage shown in the show, it seems that rims are still being displayed ad a 2d texture. I watched the show on PS3 and the crappy quality made me notice it.

The wheels are definitely 3D. Watching the replays in GT5TT and looking at the C5R standard car comparison pics posted earlier confirm that.

And yeah, hood cam is definitely there. I have no idea why the hood cam wasn't an option in GT5TT, but it's certainly in GT5P and should be in GT5 if that press demo is any indication.

I've always liked shots like this from Prologue

3506nnd.jpg

29konqo.jpg

rassxs.jpg

Kind of makes me wish that Polyphony would've patched in a simplified photomode for Prologue.

spwolf

PjotrStroganov said:
Even so, the other games showed performance loss or were optimized because there was room for it to do so. According to the article, GT5 showed none of both and that lead me to believe that they are using another technique. Obviously, it is possible that PD is able to hide were they made concessions. The DF team didn't have the chance to really analyse GT5.

maybe PD activated 4D mode?

SolidPain

Neo Member
I don't know if this is the right place to post it, but I took this picture yesterday

img0250qg.jpg

Very beautiful, can't wait to drive it in GT5 :D

Zoink said:
EG is reporting there will be 3 versions in EU - 66E (Standard), 100E (Special) and 190E (ULTIMATE!), presumably Special = US Collectors.

I believe both last page and the page before someone had brought up that source, and lol, Amazon france has the ultimate up there still (I think theyve had it for awhile now). Im surprised Ultimate is just 90 more

SolidSnakex said:
It sucks that the US probably won't get that Ultimate Edition.
We still don't know what the UE is. If it's like the CE, then I'll pass as well. The CE isn't worth the money, imo. And don't forget, you can always import it.

CozMick

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
It sucks that the US probably won't get that Ultimate Edition.

Tell your countrymen to buy the damn game :p

Isn't the US the weakest from a GT sales perspective?

I'm not surprised to be honest, just look at GT5p sales and you could tell where the main market is.

CozMick said:

I'm not surprised to be honest, just look at GT5p sales and you could tell where the main market is.

Europe is definitely GT's biggest market. But it's not like it's not popular in the US. I'd just like them to do a small run of the Ultimate Edition here. I'd definitely switch my Collector's Edition pre-order for it (as long as the UE comes with the 300 page guide by PD).

fu3lfr3nzy said:
Coz $238 sounds reasonable amirite?

...would probably buy it =/
I've heard that other people already spend over $2000 for GT5 without having the game yet. So, $199, $238 ... what's the difference? :lol

Issun23

I'm so buying the ultimate edition here in Europe, especially if the rumour of it containing a fully working Translator-san bobbing-head audio dictionary doll turns true. At €190 that's a steal.

PD should make it so it connects to the internet and gran-turismo.com/jp and whenever something new is posted it translates the news for you. No more translation issues right there.

alba

Little is the new Big
brotkasten said:
I've heard that other people already spend over $2000 for GT5 without having the game yet. So, $199, $238 ... what's the difference? :lol

Roughly around what I've spent for it, lol 1500+.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
brotkasten said:
It looks better in red.
exactly. instead of taking pictures of it, Lagspike_exe should've key-scratched on the hood:

'should be red, dodo'

I have my DFGT already.

standard edition for me :)

I'm to the point where 95% of CEs are totally worthless to me. keychain? matchbox car? nothx

plus i keep all my game boxes in a cabinet that closes. can't stand the "here's my wall unit with games and dvds all out in the open" look.

KingDizzi

Banned
Pre-ordered standard edition yesterday on Amazon for £37, that is £37 more than I usually pay for games being a member of the Lovefilm master race. REALLY want to get a wheel for myself though, last one I has broke and the G25 is no longer is production. :(

I am NEVER going to pay £330 for a G27, £150 and I will bite.

amar212

alba said:
Roughly around what I've spent for it, lol 1500+.

I will never admit spending so far, and especially will not admit costs of my planned GT5 setup :)

But maybe I'll find a friend to post pictures in late Novemeber under his account in order to maintain my privacy :)

Madman

CozMick said:

Gran Turismo 3 sold more in the US than any other GT sold in any individual territory.

KingDizzi

Banned
Madman said:
Gran Turismo 3 sold more in the US than any other GT sold in any individual territory.

That was a pack in, came with every console sold at one point. Compared to EU the sales in NA are extremely weak, to the point that the sales in NA being 1/3 compared to EU would be a success.

http://www.polyphony.co.jp/english/list.html

EU>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>NA>>>>>>>Japan

The ultimate collection will release in the region that matters. :D

Madman

KingDizzi said:
That was a pack in, came with every console sold at one point. Compared to EU the sales in NA are extremely weak, to the point that the sales in NA being 1/3 compared to EU would be a success.

http://www.polyphony.co.jp/english/list.html

EU>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>NA>>>>>>>Japan

The ultimate collection will release in the region that matters. :D
Every other GT didn't have pack ins? I doubt that. The numbers don't lie. The most popular GT by far sold the most in NA. No amount of arrows, exaggerated language, or smilies will change that.

Madman said:
Every other GT didn't have pack ins? I doubt that. The numbers don't lie. The most popular GT by far sold the most in NA. No amount of arrows, exaggerated language, or smilies will change that.

That still doesnt mean the US is GTs biggest market. Numbers show it clearly isn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom