• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 Spec II |OT| - We Love DLC!

Dibbz

I hate it and wish I could turn it off. It looks especially bad on standard cars.

Yeah it can be rough since its poly deformation so standards being lower poly obviously suffer more. Plus with it being this way it means things like headlights and stuff act really weird and don't deform with the rest of the main body. When it's just slight bumps on the front or back it looks pretty great though imo.

hirokazu

Hey, that's not the swedish flag.

QqozP7i.jpg

Of course not, that's the Sverige flag.

Using Google / GPS data to generate track layouts has been happening for years. If you play rFactor or RBR you've probably driven on one created this way.

Course Maker powered by Google Maps - BELIEVE!

Automatically generated? That's gotta give out some brilliant texture results. There's always some off game editing. Something your not gonna get on a console game.

I'm not talking about the surrounding environment, that would be impossible to create, just the real track/route with terrain data mapped, these would then be generated in your chosen Course Maker theme.

ruttyboy

I'm not talking about the surrounding environment, that would be impossible to create, just the real track/route with terrain data mapped, these would then be generated in your chosen Course Maker theme.

Wouldn't you need precise altitude data also? Does GMaps have that, I don't know?

rvy

Banned
Spec III seems more and more unlikely, unfortunately. But I guess there's only so much you can do to support a game with those sorts of big updates without charging the consumer.
Can't wait to see GT6 gameplay.

spats

The GT6 photo mode should let you add scantily clad women to the scene. As long as they don't look like zombie Jeff Gordon.

amar212

New GT5 Maintenance - in form in which upates are usually coming - has been just announced on the offical web.

Im on the phone, so search for link, 24 th and 25th April.

-Amon-

New GT5 Maintenance - in form in which upates are usually coming - has been just announced on the offical web.

Here's the link for the US announcment:

http://us.gran-turismo.com/us/news/d6928.html

The online service of Gran Turismo 5 will undergo maintenance during the following hours:

Start: 04/22/2013 23:00 EDT
Finish: 04/23/2013 01:00 EDT

Start: 04/25/2013 04:00 EDT
Finish: 04/25/2013 06:00 EDT

During the maintenance, you will not be able to connect to any of the online services.

*Please note that the exact time of the maintenance may slightly vary.

Wonder if this'll lead to something this time, could just be a hack fix.
Any news on GT Academy 2013? I remember last year showcased route x, spa & motegi, so I'm hoping to see something new even if it doesn't appear in GT5.

Any news on GT Academy 2013? I remember last year showcased route x, spa & motegi, so I'm hoping to see something new even if it doesn't appear in GT5.

They might be trying to time that announcement with the unveiling of GT6. Silverstone is rumored to be one of the tracks in the game, so having that available for the drivers that make it to train on would be something they'd want to hype up.

They might be trying to time that announcement with the unveiling of GT6. Silverstone is rumored to be one of the tracks in the game, so having that available for the drivers that make it to train on would be something they'd want to hype up.

There was meant to be a trip to Silverstone last month for the winners of the European Academy Edition thingy, but I've not read any reports on that actually happening. It doesn't sound like a proper Academy thing though, so might not have been covered.

amar212

Any news on GT Academy 2013?.

I have just learned it is sceduled to happen but a bit later then in 2012 which was in May. More details will be published in next few days including info about finals, location and dates. Next few weeks are going to be really exciting for GT fans.

paskowitz

I have just learned it is sceduled to happen but a bit later then in 2012 which was in May. More details will be published in next few days including info about finals, location and dates. Next few weeks are going to be really exciting for GT fans.

I can corroborate this (GT Academy stuff). I have heard that Nissan Racing is very pleased with the performance of the Wolfgang, Steve, Peter and Mark's performance in the FIA GT Championship (so far). The program's fate was a little shaky initially (even with Lucas's success), but since Nissan has decided to make substantial investments in NISMO and Nissan Racing. GT Academy will logically be used as a marketing arm for both, especially NISMO. There is a new Z coming and a new GTR after that, along with NISMO spec trim levels of Nissan's standard lineup.

Seems liked the latest update restored hybrid cars to their original settings.

Any word if they can just simply mod them again or does the game now take active measures towards them?

spats

Kaz changed his Facebook cover photo to this:

430408_10200444407805558_199078538_n.jpg

Is is any place in particular or just some random photo?

edit: started thinking it's a dupe account but it's undoubtedly real. Bunch of Sony employees, PD staff and people from Toyota are affiliated with the page.

Seems liked the latest update restored hybrid cars to their original settings.

Any word if they can just simply mod them again or does the game now take active measures towards them?

the game reads the car parameters from game data rather than save game data, so no more hybrids... for now. maybe these hackers will try and decrypt the .vol file... :D

ruttyboy

Heh, at the weekend I rediscovered GT:TV. Watched all the Nurb 24h specials with Kaz racing. In the 2011 one they tell you what Kaz's team's qualifying time is (9:08) and they all seemed really pleased with it.

As the GT-R they used is in the game I thought I'd have a go at beating it. Turns out when you don't have to worry about other traffic, and dying in a big fireball, it's a piece of piss... beat it on my first go, even spinning twice. A few laps later I'd beaten it by 40 seconds and I'm sure there's a lot of time left to remove.

paskowitz

Heh, at the weekend I rediscovered GT:TV. Watched all the Nurb 24h specials with Kaz racing. In the 2011 one they tell you what Kaz's team's qualifying time is (9:08) and they all seemed really pleased with it.

As the GT-R they used is in the game I thought I'd have a go at beating it. Turns out when you don't have to worry about other traffic, and dying in a big fireball, it's a piece of piss... beat it on my first go, even spinning twice. A few laps later I'd beaten it by 40 seconds and I'm sure there's a lot of time left to remove.

Try SS or SM tires and lower downforce for a more realistic experience. I would also firm up the suspension to simulated the bumps better.

ruttyboy

Try SS or SM tires and lower downforce for a more realistic experience. I would also firm up the suspension to simulated the bumps better.

Yeah, I did wonder about the tyres. On the video they were clearly using slicks so I thought I'd try those first. Everything else was at default as I assumed that would be the setup they ran with at the race.

By the way, I'm not in anyway trying to imply that I could beat them in a real car on the real track (I'd probably be sick), just pointing out what a difference not having to worry about crashing and no g-forces makes.

dubc35

Yeah, I did wonder about the tyres. On the video they were clearly using slicks so I thought I'd try those first. Everything else was at default as I assumed that would be the setup they ran with at the race.

By the way, I'm not in anyway trying to imply that I could beat them in a real car on the real track (I'd probably be sick), just pointing out what a difference not having to worry about crashing and no g-forces makes.

Yep, Clarkson calls it out at 7:45

-Amon-

Every decent sim in the hand of a decent driver will give similar results.

One reason is the one you're exposed but there are others.

Unlimited tracktime and repeating weather / track conditions is another. I have probably done more laps at Spa in the wet than all the current formula 1 drivers in their careers, combined.

The car and the tires are always the same. You always know what to expect from them. Real life is entirely a different story.

Khronico

Huh. A friend gave me his old racing wheel for GT5 and it seems I race far better with just the controller. Unless it just takes some getting used to, I spin out/lose traction way more with the wheel&pedal setup.

ruttyboy

Huh. A friend gave me his old racing wheel for GT5 and it seems I race far better with just the controller. Unless it just takes some getting used to, I spin out/lose traction way more with the wheel&pedal setup.

Presuming it's a half decent wheel, you will need to practice, but the times will come down.

spats

Which wheel is it? There's a huge gap between cheap and expensive wheels.

Khronico

Which wheel is it? There's a huge gap between cheap and expensive wheels.

A Logitech formula force GP. VERY old, specifically 11 years old. No force feedback unless you have it hooked up to a PC, which sucks. Also the clamp system you use to keep it from moving around is HORRIBLE. I don't have any furniture that the clamp would fit on, so I ended up using a TV tray table... Control-wise, its not bad, but it's a nightmare trying to control a car in any rally races with the thing.

A Logitech formula force GP. VERY old, specifically 11 years old. No force feedback unless you have it hooked up to a PC, which sucks. Also the clamp system you use to keep it from moving around is HORRIBLE. I don't have any furniture that the clamp would fit on, so I ended up using a TV tray table... Control-wise, its not bad, but it's a nightmare trying to control a car in any rally races with the thing.

I wouldn't even bother with it. No force feedback can be very harmful in a sim racer.

This explains the Nurburgring pic that Kaz posted on his Facebook account

Facebook user Kai Noeske recently spotted Gran Turismo’s own Kazunori Yamauchi driving a Volkswagen Phaeton on the Nürburgring during what I would assume to be a formal track day. What could this mean though? There’s not a lot to go on, but one could wager at guess that perhaps the Phaeton is being tested by Kazunori himself for inclusion in Gran Turismo 6?

http://www.gtplanet.net/gtplanet-weekly-rewind-im-still-in-a-dream/

WOW! Jens Noeske and I met one of my heroes on the Nuerburgring Nordschleife last night!!! The driver in the black VW Phaeton is Kazunori Yamauchi, the producer of the Gran Turismo racing game series (CEO of Polyphony Digital), and a racing driver in the VLN series. I am driving the silver Rent4Ring Swift right behind him. We had both been held up by the slow BMW M3 (now behind me in the photo) that drove in the middle of the road, and I had flashed my lights at the BMW that was 2 cars ahead at the time - hope Yamauchi-San didn't think I was crowding him. Stayed with him afterwards until the end of the lap, and thought in the parking lot "he looked like Kaz!" - found the photo, confirmation! Also learned that Yamauchi had been there for a Nissan event that day. So thrilled!!!

https://www.facebook.com/kainoeske

dubc35

What else can I say, I'm not a fan.

r3iy6Qd.png

I don't think he's been on twitter for awhile but I don't know who else to tweet to about it. I saw what I thought to be a great seasonal: 450pp Japanese cars....but no, SRF on without the option to turn it off.

GT Academy 2013 details

According to sources familiar with the competition, GT Academy is set to return for 2013 and could be bigger than ever, with this year’s regional Race Camps reportedly set to occur over the course of 5 weeks in September.

http://www.gtplanet.net/gt-academy-set-to-return-in-2013-sources-say/

Speculation from the same source

And now for some of my own speculation. A new region will most likely be added and Germany will become part of the EU camp again. Race camps will probably be US, Russia, Europe, Middle East/SA and a new territory possibly Australasia and or South America. Maybe Russia will become part of the Middle East, I honestly don't know, but I do feel they will expand and include more countries.

ruttyboy

So I'm confused about two things:

1) I've recently discovered a load of videos on Youtube of cars flying hundreds of feet up in the air, tumbling down the road in spectacular fashion. Was this a glitch that has since been patched? In my many, many hours in GT5 I've never come across anything close to this behaviour?

2) Also, has the cosmetic damage been toned down since launch? I remember on launch day, people were posting pics of massively deformed cars, headlights on top of bonnets and that kind of thing, but again, I've never seen anything like that.

So I'm confused about two things:

1) I've recently discovered a load of videos on Youtube of cars flying hundreds of feet up in the air, tumbling down the road in spectacular fashion. Was this a glitch that has since been patched? In my many, many hours in GT5 I've never come across anything close to this behaviour?

2) Also, has the cosmetic damage been toned down since launch? I remember on launch day, people were posting pics of massively deformed cars, headlights on top of bonnets and that kind of thing, but again, I've never seen anything like that.

Cape Ring reverse can give some pretty odd jumps iirc.

Top Bottom