• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 Spec II update coming in October, DLC to follow

seeds19

Banned
Please dear Kazugod put in the update the SPA-francorchamps, Montmelo and the aston martin v12 vantage and audi r18.

SmokyDave

I NEED SCISSORS said:
At fucking last. I'm hoping for at least 50 premium cars but I know we'll probably only get 5 and it will cost like $10.

You actually have to win some GOTY awards to call it a GOTY edition though.
Wouldn't that be in line with most other racing game DLC?

I don't know for sure because I don't buy DLC (with the strange exception of Test Drive Unlimited 1).

h3ro

What fantastic news to wake up to.

What a fantastic time to love console sim racing games.

This notion that GT5 hasn't had DLC is ridiculous. What do you think all these Seasonal Events and content updates are? Do you really need to pay for the same content for it to be considered DLC? I've thoroughly enjoyed the events added on to GT5 and they've prolonged my time playing the game. Isn't that the function of DLC?

Anyway... hype.

f0rk

Angst said:
If this update is as meaty as I believe it will be (and looking at GT5P and Kaz' use of "Spec II" it should be) GT5 will eat up all my racing game time for a long time.
I may switch back if F1 2011 isn't patched

rvy

Banned
So what can we expect from performance and graphical improvements? I might buy GT5 if they fix the silly stuff. I'm not expecting consistency in non-premium vehicles at this point, but fixing the rain/dirt effects on cars is a must. Framerate and tearing too.
Faster and less "Japanese" UI would also be nice.

rvy said:
Bet my account it will.

They'll probably be included, but you can definitely get your hopes up for more than just that. Suits and helmets were things that they were just adding to random patches. A new Spec means that they're going to add a lot.

Leckan

Pretty sure they won't add content like cars and tracks for free, or at least like in GT5P. The reason they did it there is because GT5P was basically a glorified demo so they couldn't ask anyone to pay more for content. If Forza has paid DLC up the ass then I don't see why Polyphony owe anyone anything.

gogogow

rvy said:
So what can we expect from performance and graphical improvements? I might buy GT5 if they fix the silly stuff. I'm not expecting consistency in non-premium vehicles at this point, but fixing the rain/dirt effects on cars is a must. Framerate and tearing too.
Faster and less "Japanese" UI would also be nice.
Has there been any graphical and performance improvements at all in the previous patches?
I hope so in this new patch, but I think it's unlikely they would fix the framerate/lowres effects/shadows/particles etc.

rvy

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
They'll probably be included, but you can definitely get your hopes up for more than just that. Suits and helmets were things that they were just adding to random patches. A new Spec means that they're going to add a lot.
If the Spec updates from Prologue are anything to go by, then yes. But I don't want to get my hopes up too much only to be punched in the stomach afterwards.

Aguirre

yes! this is my biggest news in regards to gaming for the entire year! i've been waiting patiently for an announcement like. i love gt5, cant stop playing it!

9S3d8.gif

people over at planetgt don't seem that happy

I'm expecting some big things for the spec 2.

Now I know this doesn't work this way but...

We are at 1.13, and the amount of fixing and adding they already done is pretty cool.
If this truly means a 2.0... oh gosh Kaz, hold my hand.

Even if it is only lots of port-ups of ps2 tracks and a few premiums they already modelled, I'll be satisfied. But I truly believe they'll add enough to keep them on a competitive spotlight with Forza.

T-0800

8.5 million the last time they updated their figures I believe. Could be closing in on 10 now or that might be a bit too much.

T-0800 said:
8.5 million the last time they updated their figures I believe. Could be closing in on 10 now or that might be a bit too much.

The game has been popping out in charts again ever since it got a Platinum release. Wouldn't be surprised if it reached 10 million at all.

*edit* Actually, last time they updated it was 6.3M, no way it's at 10 then. Maybe 8.

Aguirre

Metalmurphy said:
The game has been popping out in charts again ever since it got a Platinum release. Wouldn't be surprised if it reached 10 million at all.

*edit* Actually, last time they updated it was 6.3M, no way it's at 10 then. Maybe 8.
are you going by that infamous game sales statistic site?

offshore

acm2000 said:
but will it fix the horrible ui, and laughable collision/tyre screeching sound effects?
We can only pray for improved collision physics. I'd like to know what NASCAR races Polyphony are watching whereby glancing the wall leaves you magnetised to it for 5 seconds.

Majine

Banned
T-0800 said:
If they follow my tip and release a GT5 Spec 2 Edition in beginning of 2012, sures.

gogogow

Aguirre said:
are you going by that infamous game sales statistic site?
It's from Polyphony's list. It's at 6.370m as of Dec 2010. They still have to update the numbers. It's been 9 months since that figure.

KKRT00

acm2000 said:
but will it fix the horrible ui, and laughable collision/tyre screeching sound effects?
There is also nothing wrong with UI, except load times and laughable collision, You mean same as in almost every racing game out there?

Meisadragon said:
I think it was 6.5 or something.
6.3m on their site till december 2010, so in 1.5 month or smth.
http://www.polyphony.co.jp/english/list.html

And we know that GT 5 was in top of EU charts till february.

KKRT00 said:
There is also nothing wrong with UI, except load times and laughable collision, You mean same as in almost every racing game out there?

I think he meant how the cars stick to eachother and walls, although that was fixed in one of the updates. Cars don't get stuck to each other any more.

LemonGremlin said:
Did they ever fix the way you couldn't adjust the music volume in game? The fact you had to go back through about 5 different menus and a few long loading screens just to change the volume was fucking crazy. It should be right there on the wheel god damn it!

wat xDDDD

I think cars sticking to walls was done to prevent wallgrinding in Indy 500. Not like it's really needed anymore to earn big money.

KKRT00

Metalmurphy said:
I think he meant how the cars stick to eachother and walls, although that was fixed in one of the updates. Cars don't get stuck to each other any more.
Oh, but wasnt it fixed like 3 weeks after release?

Mxrz

"Fuck you, IGN" - Kaz.

Surprised they kept it a secret, especially about the DLC. The whole moving thing was just a ploy! Also,

/hyped.

acm2000

Metalmurphy said:

no i mean the horrible "thud" sound effect when you knock into a car/wall, unless its been patched out now, not updated/played it in ages, the menus make me so angry, such a mess, the physics are generally really good, but the game is so dull, i play a few races, then give up, then return a month later to try play through some more.

Angst

acm2000 said:
There is nothing wrong with the tyre screeching sounds. Other games use an exaggerated effect whereas it's more toned down in GT5. Collision effects are bad though.

My wishlist besides cars/tracks:

* Improved damage - I want the option to turn it to realistic, where one crash at 150 MPH into a wall totals the car. At the same time small bumps between cars shouldn't result in anything besides cosmetic damage.

* Option to set slipstream to realistic

* In-game multiplayer leagues. I want to be able to start a league, invite people, lock down tracks, cars, PP, tyres, damage and a calendar for the race. Killzone 2 style.

* Flags

* Move camera position dynamically in cockpit view

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
GT5 is already my most played game this gen. Even though I lost a lvl 36 save, the seasonal events really helped me to reach that point again. I really don't care if they charge for the DLC, I'll pay whatever they ask.

Wishlist:

Weather on all tracks.
More premiums and tracks.
Menu overhaul.
Reduced load times and other technical fixes.

I really don't need any other racing game this gen if they do this.
Angst said:
Improved damage - I want the option to turn it to realistic, where one crash at 150 MPH into a wall totals the car. At the same time small bumps between cars shouldn't result in anything besides cosmetic damage.
Don't really care about damage. Although, they can go with pre-baked damage which replaces the model on the fly very fast like in Forza 3. I think GT5 used some sort of Decal Tessellation; visually not that impressive, but cool nonetheless.

Saiyar

Unconfirmed Member
Mxrz said:
"Fuck you, IGN" - Kaz.

Surprised they kept it a secret, especially about the DLC. The whole moving thing was just a ploy! Also,

/hyped.

Kaz said a while ago that an update and DLC would be out around September/October.

amar212

There is one small annoyance that really needs to be fixed, and it is that way since the very launch.

Every GT game have something called "Winning Tune". It consists of 3 different tunes, with Gold, Silver and Bronze (in Licenses and SPecial Events, 1st, 2nd and 3rd place in races) tune are playing accordingly to your achieved goal.

However, because of some awkward reason, Winning Tune files are dumped into folder with race BGM music. So if you have Race BGM off - and many people do - you can't hear those Tunes after challenge/races has finished.

I have found a bypass solution for that problem in the early days of my GT5 reviews, with adding an "empty" MP3 file into Custom BGM folder and enabling Custom BGM. However, after one of the latest updates, Custom BGM was making a problems, so I had to disable it and forget about my beloved Winning Tunes.

In all GT games so far Winning Tunes were made to be independent of Race BGM. I really hope that small issue was noticed at some point and will be treated accordingly. My races are really not the same without those sweet notes composed by Ohira-san.

Syn23

Toxa said:
I'll tell you a riddle. You're waiting for a train, a train that will take you far away. You know where you hope this train will take you, but you don't know for sure. But it doesn't matter because it's the Hype Train.

And you will be with Kaz.

Top Bottom