• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 Spec II update coming in October, DLC to follow

h3ro said:
What fantastic news to wake up to.

What a fantastic time to love console sim racing games.

This notion that GT5 hasn't had DLC is ridiculous. What do you think all these Seasonal Events and content updates are? Do you really need to pay for the same content for it to be considered DLC? I've thoroughly enjoyed the events added on to GT5 and they've prolonged my time playing the game. Isn't that the function of DLC?

Anyway... hype.

I like how if a company doesn't release DLC for the first few months, they are criticized. Honestly? I want a game to last me 6-8 months or even a year without having to dish more money out for it.

Angst

IMO Spec II will be free and then they will charge for DLC down the road - probably cars. I'm a sucker so I will buy every DLC available.

ok I am trying to think what they will add.

Vayron premium seems like a safe bet.

What kind of stuff did they put in the GT5p Spec upgrades?

I would love a better chase camera and more track variation in A spec mode... I feel like I am racing the same 5 tracks over and over near the end.

darkwing

Angst said:
IMO Spec II will be free and then they will charge for DLC down the road - probably cars. I'm a sucker so I will buy every DLC available.

yup, this is most likely what will happen

Angst

funkystudent said:
ok I am trying to think what they will add.

Vayron premium seems like a safe bet.

What kind of stuff did they put in the GT5p Spec upgrades?

I would love a better chase camera and more track variation in A spec mode... I feel like I am racing the same 5 tracks over and over near the end.
From Solidsnakex: GT5 PROLOGUE
GT5P Spec II changelog said:
Additional Cars
- 34 Additional Cars have been added, for a total of 71 cars. [Additional Car List]

Additional Racetrack
- “High Speed Ring (normal/reverse)” has been added, for a total of 6 tracks, 12 layouts.

Additional Mode
- Drift Trial
- 2 Player Battle

New Features
- Performance Points
- Quick Tune
- Real Time Adjustment (RA) feature (Compatible with Driving Force GT)

Event
- All event content have been updated.
- Number of events per class raised from 8 to a total of 10 each.
- Improvements have been made to the user interface

Driving Options
- “AI Level” added
- No. of Laps added
- “Driving line” added
- “Active Brakes” deleted
- “Active Steering” moved from Option (Can be adjusted in 3 levels, effective for wireless control pad as well).

Option
- Added No. of laps setting for “Arcade / 2 P“ (Infinite/2-00)
- Added “Units” (Distance, Power, Torque)
- Added “Demo” (Auto demo start interval, demo duration, demo content settings)
- Added real time adjustment feature related items in “Change Button Assignments”
- Added “Temperature” display settings under “Network”
- Added “Delete Course Records”(offline) under “Utilities”

- Added Free Run (practice run mode) in race events
- Changed so that the host is not always in the 1st place grid position in online race events

Other
- Garage selection added to Event and Online
- 4 stages including Kyoto added to the My Page background
- Measures taken against taking shortcuts in various tracks
- Improved penalty judgment
- Upper limit of credits raised to Cr.20,000,000
- Compatibility with the Driving Force GT steering wheel planned for release by Logicool®
- Improved controllability using the wireless controller pad
- Updated Manual
- Tyre selection in Arcade fixed to S2

Caution
- Key assignments will be reset by the update.
- Ranking will be reset by the update.
- 1,540MB or more HDD space is required for the update
- Please read other contents under “Please read before updating” for more details.

NOT THE CHANGELOG for GT5!!!!!111!ONE

krioto

I play GT5 every day - I only took the disc out of the machine to play Portal 2 and Deus Ex since release.

All I want is more tracks and I'll be happy.

Carlisle

offshore said:
4qq2c0.gif
holy shit gif of the forever. posted in a thread about the game of the forever. relevant on so many levels.

Aguirre said:
- 34 Additional Cars have been added, for a total of 71 cars. [Additional Car List]

my body is ready

No way in hell they'll toss us 30+ premium cars for free in GT5 Spec II. We only got 3 new cars with Prologue (Ferrari California, Lotus Evora and the GT by Citroen) the others were to bring the cut down Japanese release up to PAL and US standard.

My body is ready for the RB7 and the Red Bull Ring.

Angst

Wax Free Vanilla said:
No way in hell they'll toss us 30+ premium cars for free in GT5 Spec II. We only got 3 new cars with Prologue (Ferrari California, Lotus Evora and the GT by Citroen) the others were to bring the cut down Japanese release up to PAL and US standard.

My body is ready for the RB7 and the Red Bull Ring.
Yeah we most likely won't get that many new cars - not for free at least.

"The Japanese release in December 2007 featured 37 stock cars (plus the uncredited GT-R "Black Mask" returning from the free playable demo) from various Japanese, European and American manufacturers including Nissan, Ferrari and Ford.[38]
Spec II update adds new manufacturers, more stock cars and introduces racing cars, tuners and "Tuned" cars. Total number of playable cars reaches 71.[39]
The North American version of Gran Turismo 5 Prologue brought additional stock and tuned cars, increasing the game's car list to 76 credited cars.[9]"

Spec II was EU release, Spec III was NA release if I'm not mistaken.

But, it shows what they can do in a couple of months between releases.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
My body is ready, my hard drive is not. Im gettting the UC3 320gb bundle Nov. 1st so Im prob gonna have to wait till then to do this update. :/

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Wax Free Vanilla said:
They can give us 50+ cars, since it's been almost one year since the game came out, but something tells me we have pay for it.

Dead Man

h3ro said:
What fantastic news to wake up to.

What a fantastic time to love console sim racing games.

This notion that GT5 hasn't had DLC is ridiculous. What do you think all these Seasonal Events and content updates are? Do you really need to pay for the same content for it to be considered DLC? I've thoroughly enjoyed the events added on to GT5 and they've prolonged my time playing the game. Isn't that the function of DLC?

Anyway... hype.
Events should not be considered DLC imo, they should be available in a race/championship creator. I don't need to pay for the content, but it should be something that is better than a remix of the current cars and tracks.

Niks

- Spa
- Pikes Peak
- Stelvio Pass

I would be happy if they Kaz gave us Apricot Hill and Midfield Raceway.

lupinko

brotkasten said:
No, but you can always buy the $500 Thrustmaster wheel for full support in GT5.

Ugh, no thanks, I already own a G27, oh well gimped G27 is still better than most wheels.

Angst said:
Yeah we most likely won't get that many new cars - not for free at least.

"The Japanese release in December 2007 featured 37 stock cars (plus the uncredited GT-R "Black Mask" returning from the free playable demo) from various Japanese, European and American manufacturers including Nissan, Ferrari and Ford.[38]
Spec II update adds new manufacturers, more stock cars and introduces racing cars, tuners and "Tuned" cars. Total number of playable cars reaches 71.[39]
The North American version of Gran Turismo 5 Prologue brought additional stock and tuned cars, increasing the game's car list to 76 credited cars.[9]"

Spec II was EU release, Spec III was NA release if I'm not mistaken.

But, it shows what they can do in a couple of months between releases.

Spec II was EU and NA release, Spec III was a later update.

Spec II primarily added 2player split screen among other things.

Meisadragon said:
They can give us 50+ cars, since it's been almost one year since the game came out, but something tells me we have pay for it.

Spec 2.0 is labeled as an "update", "DLC" is mentioned seperately and will come one week later...so Spec 2.0 will be free, whatever its contents, and for the DLC we'll obviously have to pay.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
I would really like mid-race saving, probably the only thing I can think of that I would actually want added to the core game mechanics, can do those 24 hour races then.

Besides that, faster UI, maybe a few more premium cars either new or updated old ones, and more customisation for races, if I want to drive in the rain at 8am, I want to be able to choose to and not hope it happens.

brotkasten said:
30 fps is not an option, never was. This is Gran Turismo, not some pissy NFS title.

Off course, it would prefer 60 fps over 30 fps anyday, but come on...30 fps isn't always that bad. DIRT 3 is 30 too and has great graphics and effects. Split Second is 30 and looks awesome too.

lupinko said:
Ugh, no thanks, I already own a G27, oh well gimped G27 is still better than most wheels.
I'm in the same boat. Bought the G27 for GT5 and then we get some half-assed support. Pretty disappointing, considering the relationship Logitech and Polyphony had in the past. It's even more frustrating, when you see the support for other shitty toy wheels in the game.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
A little late there, Kaz.

But it brings "Star in the Reasonably Priced Car"'s... car(s) along with leaderboards for proper TGTT hot laps, I'd stop considering Forza 4.

Aguirre said:

my body is ready

Don't bank on it, that is for GT5:p. The most i can see Kaz doing is standard to premium conversions.

ashk

I'm keeping my expectations insanely low so I can't be disappointed. So I'm expecting only bugfixes for Spec II and one new car that I don't like for DLC.

Melfice7

gogogow said:
Has there been any graphical and performance improvements at all in the previous patches?

They increased the standard models quality on some patch

offshore said:
We can only pray for improved collision physics.

This still baffles me as we saw on different builds before launch that the collision physics were much improved, then the game releases and you hit a car and it gets all stiff and unrealistic

offshore

TheSeks said:
A little late there, Kaz.

But it brings "Star in the Reasonably Priced Car"'s... car(s) along with leaderboards for proper TGTT hot laps, I'd stop considering Forza 4.
Surely they'll patch in standing starts for the TGTT. Ten months later and it still makes no sense whatsoever why there is no standing starts or leaderboards for the TGTT.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
offshore said:
Surely they'll patch in standing starts for the TGTT. Ten months later and it still makes no sense whatsoever why there is no standing starts or leaderboards for the TGTT.

GT5 is one of the greatest examples of how not to use the Top Gear license if you get it.

At least Forza 4 is attempting to do it right. (in before I cause this thread to become that thread when I'm just apple/orange comparing)

Snubbers said:
I think it'd be awesome if GT5 got Porsche, I'll miss it in FM4, but don't mind if I can get my fix via GT5, and I'm sure I'm not alone..
I'd rather get a proper Top Gear over Porsche, though MS's money hat will see to that not happening.

SolidSnakex said:

Except this time the game is not a work in progress. Prologue spec II had a bunch of content because, of course, they were building assets for GT5, so as soon as they were finished they could be put in the game.

It´s not the same here. Everything we will get is really new content.

Spa and the Aston Martin DBR9 are a given, considering they were working on it.

The HSV is another one (Mush!!!!!!!!)

But anything else will be a surprise.

Please god for upscaled GT4 tracks and please god for the ability to tone down slipstreaming.

seattle6418 said:
Except this time the game is not a work in progress. Prologue spec II had a bunch of content because, of course, they were building assets for GT5, so as soon as they were finished they could be put in the game.

It´s not the same here. Everything we will get is really new content.

Spa and the Aston Martin DBR9 are a given, considering they were working on it.

The HSV is another one (Mush!!!!!!!!)

But anything else will be a surprise.

Please god for upscaled GT4 tracks and please god for the ability to tone down slipstreaming.

....Um... GT6?

lupinko

brotkasten said:
I'm in the same boat. Bought the G27 for GT5 and then we get some half-assed support. Pretty disappointing, considering the relationship Logitech and Polyphony had in the past. It's even more frustrating, when you see the support for other shitty toy wheels in the game.

Dunno why they can't just add full support for the G27, aren't there GTPlanet heads sending lots of complaints to PD about this ? lol

Top Bottom