• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 Spec II update coming in October, DLC to follow

gillty

Banned
ThisWreckage said:
Unless they overhaul the menus and the loading I won't even bother with this. I think it's that bad.
Agreed, everything outside of the simulation and 24hr nurb is just fucking awful in GT5.

UNCyrus

Valru said:
Agreed, everything outside of the simulation and 24hr nurb is just fucking awful in GT5.

get-out-gif.gif

sublimit

Banned
As much as i would love to see some old tracks to return,i hope they will make new ones instead.I thought that GT5 didn't have enough new tracks.

Melfice7

Anyone remember in prologues spec 2 or was it 3? that they increased the engine sounds but then decreased again? :s

ACESmkII

I was just playing GT5 yesterday and thinking man this game needs some more premium cars and tracks.

After nothing was announced at TGS though I figured polyphony moved on to GT6, so this news comes as a awesome surprise.

phosphor112 said:
I like how if a company doesn't release DLC for the first few months, they are criticized. Honestly? I want a game to last me 6-8 months or even a year without having to dish more money out for it.

Crazy, I'm the opposite. While I don't like Day 1 DLC like so many games do if they don't keep it fresh after a few months with stuff I usually move on to something else.

It's a tough situation. Too late and you get "not playin' anymore!" and too soon you get "should have been on the disk!"

I'm glad I'm a gamer and not developer this generation.

AndyD

aka andydumi
I wonder if Spec 2 does the behind the scenes work to allow DLC. Its odd that they are so closely related.

Either way, looking forward to it.

Valru said:
That's pretty much all I do with the game nowadays.

Not sure what to think about this update or DLC. Need details. I don't need stuff like driver's helmets and B-Spec or new horn sounds.

Priorities Polyphony! Priorities!

Woah, wow didn't see this coming. Pretty much gave up on GT5 DLC or new content.

My predictions:

Spec II - Free
-A few new Japanese cars (P) but not nearly as many as we wanted and no (S)'s converted to (P)'s
-A few GT classic tracks but not the huge pack we all thought was supposed to drop months ago
-Zero graphical, interface, new features added

DLC- Price will vary
-Absolute shit, not cars, not tracks, just some new dumbshit we never even thought of but PD deemed essential to create. Maybe you can make a pony drive your car or fill your cars with Bio Diesel instead of gas to make them go slower but save the earth.

All aboard the Hype Train Let Down Mag Lev! Fool me 135 times in the last decade, can't fool me again.

PS- Will be playing this shit out of this spec II regardless. I still have golds on every seasonal ever release. This game is like a bad girlfriend. If they include Spa I will lose my god damn mind. Oh it is a great year to be a gamer.

MrPliskin

Banned
Gonna pretend this update will suck balls, that way when it comes out, I'll be blown away, even if it just changes the font of the menu screens.

paskowitz

Valru said:

Rally second only to RBR in simulation. Seasonal events are fun. Online is great if you race with people you know. X1. 60's Le Mans cars. Graphics. Photomode.

And honestly I rather have 99 problems and the amazingness of The Ring not be 1, ahem.

Toxa

phosphor112 said:
Since that TV show has proper car related "races" and "challenges."

Also, I've never been a fan of Porsche.

there's also "races" and "challenges." in GT5 Top Gear is purely marketing and it seems to work

gutterboy44 said:
Woah, wow didn't see this coming. Pretty much gave up on GT5 DLC or new content.

My predictions:

Spec II - Free
-A few new Japanese cars (P) but not nearly as many as we wanted and no (S)'s converted to (P)'s
-A few GT classic tracks but not the huge pack we all thought was supposed to drop months ago
-Zero graphical, interface, new features added

DLC- Price will vary
-Absolute shit, not cars, not tracks, just some new dumbshit we never even thought of but PD deemed essential to create. Maybe you can make a pony drive your car or fill your cars with Bio Diesel instead of gas to make them go slower but save the earth.

All aboard the Hype Train Let Down Mag Lev! Fool me 135 times in the last decade, can't fool me again.

PS- Will be playing this shit out of this spec II regardless. I still have golds on every seasonal ever release. This game is like a bad girlfriend. If they include Spa I will lose my god damn mind. Oh it is a great year to be a gamer.

I'll think your way.

So that when they add Spa, rain/change time on every track(with no jaggies), convert all of the standards to premium, and bring out Porsche prems., I'll be pleasantly surprised

This is great news even though I sold my copy a while ago... I really hope the new content is good enough to make me rebuy the game.

Toxa said:
there's also "races" and "challenges." in GT5 Top Gear is purely marketing and it seems to work
Top Gear challenge on GT5 sucks ass.

How'd it go from this.

263414.jpg

To this?

vw-bus-topgear-gt5-200x200.jpg

And lose all of it's Top Gear related content? This wasn't PD's choice here.

I wonder if Spec II will finally allow premium cars to be accessed inside and out in Photo Mode.

You know, the same cars that they've painstakenly modeled right down to the last bolt only to have you access the headlight controls?!?! @_@

Top Gear integration in GT5 is just about as bad as it could possibly be. I never did unlock the test track, but I've honestly got better shit to do than those challenges :(

phosphor112 said:

How'd it go from this.

263414.jpg

To this?

Ask that other racing game that announced it exclusive top gear deal 2 months before gt5 was released.

offshore

fu3lfr3nzy said:
I wonder if Spec II will finally allow premium cars to be accessed inside and out in Photo Mode.

You know, the same cars that they've painstakenly modeled right down to the last bolt only to have you access the headlight controls?!?! @_@
They really need to do this. So much modelling goes wasted because you can't have a good look inside.

Toxa

phosphor112 said:

How'd it go from this.

263414.jpg

To this?

you don't get it
there are other races and challenges in GT5 TG brand is just marketing whether GT5 or F4 it doesn't makes a better game

offshore

funkystudent said:
Ask that other racing game that announced it exclusive top gear deal 2 months before gt5 was released.
How can it be an exclusive deal when the track is still in GT5?

Sony would have to be complete idiots (which admittedly isn't beyond them) not to have had contracts in place that preclude someone else coming in dictating what they can and can't do with the TG license. I don't buy T10 getting a TG deal for the reason of the poor TG representation in GT5.

NullPointer said:
Did Microsoft put those shitty Top Gear challenges in GT5?

Nope, they just made it impossible to leave the good ones in.

offshore said:
I don't buy T10 getting a TG deal for the reason of the poor TG representation in GT5.

Then what other reason would they have to take content out?

Oneself

So that 7.5G game data file will be reaching new heights soon.

Hopefully the last 30seconds of install won't last 2 hours this time.

Toxa said:
you don't get it
there are other races and challenges in GT5 TG brand is just marketing whether GT5 or F4 it doesn't makes a better game
You don't get it, I'd like to be able to take any car around the Top Gear track and compare it to the real life times. I'd like to be able to take the reasonably price car, and drive it around the track and compare it to other players.

Hell, it doesn't even offer such features for NON-TG related stuff either.

offshore said:

Sony would have to be complete idiots (which admittedly isn't beyond them) not to have had contracts in place that preclude someone else coming in dictating what they can and can't do with the TG license. I don't buy T10 getting a TG deal for the reason of the poor TG representation in GT5.

Right when Forza got that TG deal announced, all Top Gear content on GT TV came off.

Why would they take off digital content that they get money from unless someone paid them to do it?

iceatcs

offshore said:

This track are not belong to BBC. It was private airport/military airbase.

Angst

Oneself said:
So that 7.5G game data file will be reaching new heights soon.

Hopefully the last 30seconds of install won't last 2 hours this time.
You will install it, wait for 3 hours and then be thankful that Kaz lets you play with his baby.

phosphor112 said:
You don't get it, I'd like to be able to take any car around the Top Gear track and compare it to the real life times. I'd like to be able to take the reasonably price car, and drive it around the track and compare it to other players.

Hell, it doesn't even offer such features for NON-TG related stuff either.
It should have been really easy to put the real life times in the game and see how we compare to them. Don't think Spec II will add that though now with F4 having the Top Gear license.

Ark said:
Whoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooop!

:D
Yes. :D

commedieu

Banned
phosphor112 said:
Since that TV show has proper car related "races" and "challenges."

Also, I've never been a fan of Porsche.

Top Gear is one of the highest viewed television shows...in the world. However, its significance in the world of car simulations, stops at the track. I want to drive the TG track, just because of how awesome it is to get a go at something I've come to form a relationship with. 99% of people aren't going to be able to compete with professional race car drivers lap times(stig), and driving around the track in a slow sedan, is just that. The fulfilment of Top Gear to driving games, is done in any title with the track modelled. The entertaining part of the challenges, are really Jeremy, May, and Hamster. They have a second to none chemistry, which makes the other top gear shows deplorable, because they don't have that factor.

Porsche is more relevant to the driving sim community, due to their pedigree & heritage, than banging around double decker cars, or racing a train in a car, heavily edited to pretend there is some sort of competition to be had. It would be significant to the franchise, and to the people that actually participate & keep the community thriving. I think its great content, but in the grand scheme of things, its just a show. GT was guilty of getting quite a few people to buy the game, just based on its visuals alone. But these people weren't interested in continuing to play the actual car sim, you know?

Car sims are boring games for the most part, unless you enjoy driving. You can't appeal to people that aren't interested in the genre, which other developers have found to be true, you cant convert them to appreciating the rules of traction & acceleration. Casuals that don't have interest in buying a simulation, dont, no matter the appeal or ease of the virtual experience. GT has amassed a gigantic audience, by delivering on that basic gameplay outline. Its the same basic one PC sims do. Cars & Tracks, and some good visuals. Just as flight sims don't need to add rock n roll soundtracks and Redbull celebrities to appeal to the basic enjoyment of a simulation. Top Gear's license is a great opportunity for Top Gear to get their show advertised, but its hardly going to put a dent in any sales for the game its in. I Imagine GT5 would have sold just as much without the track, but people demanded it.

I dont see how the MS deal affected Top Gear's inclusion in GT5.

I mean, MS didnt license NASCAR on their racing simulation game, but that didnt stop PD from having a mediocre NASCAR presence/content in GT5.

Prior to the games release, people speculated NASCAR having its own career or season, and yet all we got is 1 A Spec event, 1 B Spec event, and 1 Special Event.

So as far as I'm concerned, its PD's fault for not utilizing Top Gear in their game. Which is sad :(

edit: I dont think GTTV has any NASCAR media stuff either, right?

offshore said:

Well I am pretty sure even T10 would be mean enough to get PD to remove the top gear track after they already shown it in trailers.

Just get them to remove top gear from GT TV and remove the stig from newer trailers.

And like it was said Top gear doesn't own the track.

Top Bottom