• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo Sport announced

Mascot

It's genuinely amusing that you call him a loon while blithely assuming a PS4 version of GT6 would have been simple to make and get out in late 2013/early 2014.

My mistake, I meant GT5, not GT6 (which wouldn't exist on PS3 if the effort had gone into an updated GT5 on PS4. And I said it was obvious, not simple. ;)

PS are you denying that Kaz is a loon?

paskowitz

Well how about some bad news... that's better than no need right?

https://mobile.twitter.com/Rushy33/status/691660127334748160?ref_src=twsrc^tfw

ShareGamePlay
Jan 25
ShareGamePlay ‏@ShareGamePlay
@heinekev @imjustthecouch @DRIVECLUB @Rushy33 any news about Fanatec support? WRC 5 also have Fanatec support for the PS4

Paul Rustchynsky
Paul Rustchynsky – ‏@Rushy33

@ShareGamePlay @heinekev @imjustthecouch As a Sony published title we're only allowed to support officially licensed peripherals

In other words, no G25/G27 or current Fanatec wheel support for GT Sport or GT7.

Melfice7

It's crazy that PD has never got in sync with Sony console generations. It's one of the platforms most popular franchises but they've never got close to having a game ready for a console launch.

GT3 released 6 months after the release of PS2

And really lets look at release dates

GT1 december 97
GT2 december 99
GT3 april 01
GT4 december 04
Tourist Trophy february 06
GT PSP october 09
GT5 november 10
GT6 december 2013

Let's not pretend the only odd ball in release date between main GT games isnt GT5, even though they put out 2 main products after GT4, im excluding prologues because those are just work in progress from the main game

Niks

Weird no one is talking about the track creator..

Promised out of the gate for GT6 (was a bullet point on the box?)
Almost 2 years of silence regarding info on it.
When it finally comes out (2 years late) its underwhelming as fuck.

Talk about pristine development times...

farisr

People did when it came out. The general impressions I got was that people are basically assuming (due to some datamined code I think) that a much fully featured and better functioning version of the track creator will be debuting in GT7 and all of their focus is on that, and this GT6 one was just put out in such an underwhelming state to keep their initial promise.

It's pretty bad.

Tomeru

Too much "couldve shouldve wouldve" going on in here. PD has their hands in many cakes in the racing world. Thinking they only have GT development on their hands, after all this time and with the knowledge we have, is naive.

THE:MILKMAN

The worst thing about this is that the "insiders" have said there are very good reasons why it was late and bad and that most would understand. But of course they're sworn to secrecy and haven't said anything about it since.

Too much "couldve shouldve wouldve" going on in here. PD has their hands in many cakes in the racing world. Thinking they only have GT development on their hands, after all this time and with the knowledge we have, is naive.

I feel like thinking that the business guys there have anything to do with the progress in development is a bit weird.

I understand some of those elements go hand in hand, but not to the extent that it should impact the progress of a sequel to Gran Turismo. It's a known quantity for the most part.

Mascot

That Fanatec bombshell means GTS has been killed dead by death for me. Project CARS has proved that there's no technical barrier to legacy support, yet Sony still apply a cock-block of John Holmes proportions.

What a fucking clown-school clusterfuck console peripherals continue to be.

Crazy to think when GT5P launched it had clutch support for the G25, the first console game to do so I think. Kaz put it in just because.

This was back when Forza was pretty much a joypad game and they had the Microsoft toy wheel with something 220-240 degree of rotation.

Seemed to take a decade for MS/Turn 10 to take wheels seriously and all that work is undone now. All this exclusive crap from MS and now Sony I feel harms the market. I don't need two wheel rigs, I don't want to unbolt one wheel and bolt in another just to play a different game for a little while. No wonder all these manufactures struggle making all these different wheels. It's niche as it is, I would've hoped last gen they could've seen how the exclusive nonsense did more harm yet here we are, yet more exclusive bollocks on the Sony side as well and existing wheels don't work, every game has many asking/begging where's my wheel support.

Please, I just want one wheel for heaven sake. Why are you all making this so difficult. I should be able to buy a decent wheel that works for all. The only one was the PWTS which I bought but of course thanks to Sony/MS it's now obsolete as is my G25.

My only hope is some heads get banged together around when GT7 comes out and we're able to buy a t500rs type quality wheel that works for all or Microsoft actually make a full Forza release on PC with acceptable wheel support so I can actually consider buying a new wheel that will work with PS4/PC at least.

For the love of god MS don't try to mess up wheel support for Forza on PC. People with wheels are interested in Forza and GT,

p3n

In other words, no G25/G27 or current Fanatec wheel support for GT Sport or GT7.
Aaaand there goes GTSport. RIP. I hope AC will support fanatec. We know Codemaster's games support them. I will not downgrade my 1500€ fanatec setup to something inferior to play GT.

Sky Saw

Banned
Crazy to think when GT5P launched it had clutch support for the G25, the first console game to do so I think. Kaz put it in just because.

This was back when Forza was pretty much a joypad game and they had the Microsoft toy wheel with something 220-240 degree of rotation.

Seemed to take a decade for MS/Turn 10 to take wheels seriously and all that work is undone now. All this exclusive crap from MS and now Sony I feel harms the market. I don't need two wheel rigs, I don't want to unbolt one wheel and bolt in another just to play a different game for a little while. No wonder all these manufactures struggle making all these different wheels. It's niche as it is, I would've hoped last gen they could've seen how the exclusive nonsense did more harm yet here we are, yet more exclusive bollocks on the Sony side as well and existing wheels don't work, every game has many asking/begging where's my wheel support.

Please, I just want one wheel for heaven sake. Why are you all making this so difficult. I should be able to buy a decent wheel that works for all. The only one was the PWTS which I bought but of course thanks to Sony/MS it's now obsolete as is my G25.

My only hope is some heads get banged together around when GT7 comes out and we're able to buy a t500rs type quality wheel that works for all or Microsoft actually make a full Forza release on PC with acceptable wheel support so I can actually consider buying a new wheel that will work with PS4/PC at least.

For the love of god MS don't try to mess up wheel support for Forza on PC. People with wheels are interested in Forza and GT,

It's crazy how many people I've seen on here buying brand new wheels just so it works with new gen systems. and these are usually the same people who say PC gaming it too expensive..nutters.

Many people including me bought a G27 mainly for GT5, and now we're being shafted!

almost as bad as the super expensive FORZA branded CSR not working with xbox one, it's a joke..I thought consoles were becoming more like PC's? Not in that regard anyway.

LostDonkey

It's crazy how many people I've seen on here buying brand new wheels just so it works with new gen systems. and these are usually the same people who say PC gaming it too expensive..nutters.

Many people including me bought a G27 mainly for GT5, and now we're being shafted!

almost as bad as the super expensive FORZA branded CSR not working with xbox one, it's a joke..I thought consoles were becoming more like PC's? Not in that regard anyway.

I tried to convince a friend to come over to the PC dark side at the end of the PS3, he claimed it was too expensive. Then went and bought a PS4 and a 65inch 4k TV that he uses just for gaming. Even though no games will ever be 4k on PS4.

Cost him more than it did to build my PC.

But yeah, I still use my DFGT on almost every racing game that comes out on PC. This locking old peripherals out of a new iteration of console is scandalous and needs to be stopped.

Seemed to take a decade for MS/Turn 10 to take wheels seriously and all that work is undone now. All this exclusive crap from MS and now Sony I feel harms the market. I don't need two wheel rigs, I don't want to unbolt one wheel and bolt in another just to play a different game for a little while. No wonder all these manufactures struggle making all these different wheel.[...]

Aaaand there goes GTSport. RIP. I hope AC will support fanatec. We know Codemaster's games support them. I will not downgrade my 1500€ fanatec setup to something inferior to play GT.
Fanatec's new Xbox One Hubs work with the PS4 too. It was weird, first they sold PS4 and Xbox One Hubs/steering wheels seperate. Then they discontinued PS4 hubs, because the Xbox One hubs worked on PS4 too. They even had the check-boxes "PC", "PS3", "PS4", "PS4" checked and green-lit. Then Sony asked them to remove the check-boxes while they are still negotiating deals with Sony. Here is the link: http://www.fanatec.de/forum/discussion/187/playstation-compatibility

So there are products that work with both consoles. Problem is that buying a Thrustmaster pedals, wheel-addon and two whell-bases (TX for XB1 and T300 for PS4) will still come a lot cheaper than buying the one Fanatec setup. Still, you get Fanatec quality that is worth a premium.

For the love of god MS don't try to mess up wheel support for Forza on PC. People with wheels are interested in Forza and GT
Jeff Gerstmann said on a recent Giant Bombcast that he asked about wheel support for Forza on PC and got the answer that wheels are not supported in Apex, but they will look into DX12 input integration, so it might come later on or at least in the next Forza that will come to PC as a full (and full priced) game in fall.

I'm sure there will be a specific wheel release for GT Sport like DFGT and the Thrustmaster one (?)

I don't understand why they won't allow older wheels to work.

Tomeru

I feel like thinking that the business guys there have anything to do with the progress in development is a bit weird.

I understand some of those elements go hand in hand, but not to the extent that it should impact the progress of a sequel to Gran Turismo. It's a known quantity for the most part.

Maybe the cars and tracks are all ready. Maybe they dont want to do the same old gran turismo formula. Maybe when it does eventually come, it will be the same old formula. Maybe it wont. Point being, some things are always ready first, but it doesnt mean that everything is ready, and stuff happens mid-development that can change the whole picture. The fact that PD is engaged in real motor racing, is enough to change how things are done. Did anyone expect GTS and the official partnership with FIA?

LostDonkey

I'm sure there will be a specific wheel release for GT Sport like DFGT and the Thrustmaster one (?)

I don't understand why they won't allow older wheels to work.

Because how would they make any more money from people buying shit that they don't need by allowing people to use things they already own.

GT Facebook page says they need to finalise negotiations with partners before they can make announcements for GT6 and GTS.

Just another indication that GTS is GT6 PS4.

R.I.P Gran Turismo

ethomaz

Banned
GT Facebook page says they need to finalise negotiations with partners before they can make announcements for GT6 and GTS.

R.I.P Gran Turismo
Not sure about that because GT6 is pretty active yet... they launch new content almost every week.

I still don't understand what this game is after the recent trailer. Is it like Forza Horizon or Drive Club? I have no idea.

Why would you comare it to those two games? It's the next Gran Turismo on the PS4 and the trailer showed track based racing. I don't see how it could be any more clearer unless you're confused on what Gran Turismo is.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

R.I.P Gran Turismo

Or you know, adding GT6 to PSNow.

Well Capcom is letting PS3 fightsticks work on Street Fighter V so there is some hope.

From what I understand from the next-gen wheel thread, it is because of the Immersion motion tech patent license that Logitech or others do not want to renew. So unless the patent is allowed to expire, then I would not hold my breath.

Fanatec's new Xbox One Hubs work with the PS4 too. It was weird, first they sold PS4 and Xbox One Hubs/steering wheels seperate. Then they discontinued PS4 hubs, because the Xbox One hubs worked on PS4 too. They even had the check-boxes "PC", "PS3", "PS4", "PS4" checked and green-lit. Then Sony asked them to remove the check-boxes while they are still negotiating deals with Sony. Here is the link: http://www.fanatec.de/forum/discussion/187/playstation-compatibility

So there are products that work with both consoles. Problem is that buying a Thrustmaster pedals, wheel-addon and two whell-bases (TX for XB1 and T300 for PS4) will still come a lot cheaper than buying the one Fanatec setup. Still, you get Fanatec quality that is worth a premium.

Jeff Gerstmann said on a recent Giant Bombcast that he asked about wheel support for Forza on PC and got the answer that wheels are not supported in Apex, but they will look into DX12 input integration, so it might come later on or at least in the next Forza that will come to PC as a full (and full priced) game in fall.

Thanks for replaying but I'm aware of the Fanatec option. I have an account on gtplanet and know about their products since they started years and years ago. I bought one of their first wheels. The cost of the base unit, wheel and pedals is eye wateringly expensive and simply not option unless I stumble across a large amount of cash. I did state a t500rs type wheel. I'm talking a G29-T500rs wheel that's compatible with all three, not a high end solution.

Until GT something comes out on PS4 I would be hesitant anyway. It's on a game by game basis. Another problem with all this is the unknown aspect and no-one can be sure so I'm simply in limbo in buying a new wheel. Like I say, they need to come up with a solution.

About Apex, yes I did read and hear before how they will look to update it. It's all if buts and maybes which is what I'm posting about in the first place. MS might just include one wheel, we have no idea, we have no idea which wheel. My plea is to MS to do it properly, not ask for help. Thanks anyway.

I will add that Thomas at Fanatec has a CSL base coming but again we have to wait and see.

Thanks for replaying but I'm aware of the Fanatec option. I have an account on gtplanet and know about their products since they started years and years ago. I bought one of their first wheels. The cost of the base unit, wheel and pedals is eye wateringly expensive and simply not option unless I stumble across a large amount of cash. I did state a t500rs type wheel. I'm talking a G29-T500rs wheel that's compatible with all three, not a high end solution.

Until GT something comes out on PS4 I would be hesitant anyway. It's on a game by game basis. Another problem with all this is the unknown aspect and no-one can be sure so I'm simply in limbo in buying a new wheel. Like I say, they need to come up with a solution.

About Apex, yes I did read and hear before how they will look to update it. It's all if buts and maybes which is what I'm posting about in the first place. MS might just include one wheel, we have no idea, we have no idea which wheel. My plea is to MS to do it properly, not ask for help. Thanks anyway.

I will add that Thomas at Fanatec has a CSL base coming but again we have to wait and see.
I think you covered all angles on what to wait for on the consumer side.
The future proofnees is one last bullet point hanging in the air. If Microsoft really is going for iPad approach of making better Xbox Ones bit naming them all Xbox One with guaranteed software compatibility between iterations (even if games might look not very good on the original XB1 in a few years), then at least the current xbox wheels would work with future console generations on the xbox side. Competition from Steam might force them to not expect cash for supporting wheels any more if they are serious about their Win10 store plans and there will be well selling third party racing games that nobody would buy on the Win10 store then. All that might force Sony to do the same then and they are easier to convince than MS on the input devices side judging by their fight stick support. For this year people can provably be happy if their TX wheels will be supported by Forza on Windows in fall.

What I still don't understand is why Fanatec will have a wheel that is supported by both platforms and not Thrustmaster. They can't possibly make more money by selling sperate wheel bases instead of making a single product more attractive to possible customers who worry about compatibility and future proofing.

Glix

I have a Logitech wheel.

I've been thinking of getting a ps3->ps4 Brook converter, has anyone tried it?

I have one of their x360->ps4 converters for my fightstick and it is amazing and hassle free and lag free.

Could be an option for you Fantec guys

bombshell

I have a Logitech wheel.

I've been thinking of getting a ps3->ps4 Brook converter, has anyone tried it?

I have one of their x360->ps4 converters for my fightstick and it is amazing and hassle free and lag free.

Could be an option for you Fantec guys

These adaptors are a big no no for wheels.

No force feedback, only vibration, big deadzones and they work by mapping your wheel output to analog stick movement.

Your only real option is the GIMX G29 emulation solution, which from my own (DFGT) and others experience works perfect. Full force feedback and no input lag.

Read more in this thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1125782

synce

Why would you comare it to those two games? It's the next Gran Turismo on the PS4 and the trailer showed track based racing. I don't see how it could be any more clearer unless you're confused on what Gran Turismo is.

Well they didn't want to call it GT7, which is both confusing and alarming IMO.

Well they didn't want to call it GT7, which is both confusing and alarming IMO.

Which is pretty funny. That a number in the title was needed to determine what type of game will be played. As if there wasn't a 17 year precedent with the same IP or the existing trailer didn't show a touring car on a real world track which the series is known for.

I don't know, I'm going out on the limb that we'll probably be playing Gran Turismo.

Which is pretty funny. That a number in the title was needed to determine what type of game will be played. As if there wasn't a 17 year precedent with the same IP or the existing trailer didn't show a touring car on a real world track which the series is known for.

I don't know, I'm going out on the limb that we'll probably be playing Gran Turismo.

Could be a baseball game? Baseball is a sport.

Sorta offtopic, but I just saw a commercial for a game called Asphalt 8 and to my surprise it showed the Lamborghini Egoista. Doing some searching shows that it's also in a game called Ultimate Racing. I though that car would be off limits since it's a one off that's only found in the Lamborghini museum. I wonder if they can get it because they're wacky arcade racers or if it's possible that they could be included in a sim racer like GTS as well? Polyphony would obviously need more access to it since there's a lot more modeling required as well as other things than you'd need to just use it for an arcade racer.

Yiazmat

Sorta offtopic, but I just saw a commercial for a game called Asphalt 8 and to my surprise it showed the Lamborghini Egoista. Doing some searching shows that it's also in a game called Ultimate Racing. I though that car would be off limits since it's a one off that's only found in the Lamborghini museum. I wonder if they can get it because they're wacky arcade racers or if it's possible that they could be included in a sim racer like GTS as well? Polyphony would obviously need more access to it since there's a lot more modeling required as well as other things than you'd need to just use it for an arcade racer.

The last thing we need in the game is another ugly ass Lamborghini tho. There's plenty of those already.

lYiTAQB.gif

shandy706

Just re-bought GT1 and GT2.

Haven't played them in...well, since they were relatively new games..haha. I wonder if I'll play through them both before we get GTS.

Also, just because I have to say it at least once every few months. I'm still waiting on my GT Vita.

I know it's never happening :'(

From what I understand from the next-gen wheel thread, it is because of the Immersion motion tech patent license that Logitech or others do not want to renew. So unless the patent is allowed to expire, then I would not hold my breath.

Well no surprise if that's true. Who would want to spend money helping out their customers? When you can make money by selling stuff to them again.

Top Bottom