• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Granblue Fantasy Project Re:Link announced - Action RPG, Platinum Games [UPDATE]

Chaos17

Granblue seems really popular. I've always assumed it was just a generic gatcha game? Why is it so popular?

If you can get used to the UI the gameplay is actualy quite deep as much as a clasic rpgs. Also, it has a lot of events so you don't have to spend a $ on that game at all, there is also no meta team. Of course, there're top tier characters but they mean nothing if you've shitty equipements (that is A LOT important more than having characters).

You've to found the balance, choose what to grind to become imba. It's a gacha game but really generous and don't force you to have a meta team like other games. You're pretty free to make team you want since depending of the synergy of characters you can get pretty quite interesting combo. Really, that's a good turn based j-rpg if you don't have any to play atm.

You can also play either on mobile on on pc version.

The president of Cygames used to work at Silicon Studios as a game designer and director. They have expressed before that a number of people in management positions in the company actually came from console development backgrounds, so they do have an interest in going back into that if there's an opportunity. It's just that well... making browser/mobile games that take off successfully is so much more... profitable... lol.

Was he the director of 3D Dot Game Heroes?

Ha, I was just talking about how I was interested in trying the mobile game two days ago. Love Platinum so I'll check this out.

Not a big fan of Saito's output however. Hopefully they can give him a budget to flesh this one out and make it less repetitive.

faridmon

For someone who haven't been following the mobile industry as much, can you give me a quick rundown on what is Granblue Fantasy and why is it popular?

Melchior

For someone who haven't been following the mobile industry as much, can you give me a quick rundown on what is Granblue Fantasy and why is it popular?

GBF is a Gacha game with art done by Hideo Minaba (some ff games, lost odyssey, little king story) and music by Nobuo Uematsu (more ff games and some other jrpgs). For a mobile game the actual mechanics of it are pretty indepth. But at it's heart it's borderline gambling (if you care about the gacha characters) and it's a grindfest (if you care enough to setup your weapon grids for end game content). It's pretty fun you should check it out. It's consumed around 2 years of my life so far.

Exentryk

Holy Shit! Is this real life?!!!
It looks AMAZING! And it just got announced out of the blue? This is E3 megaton stuff! Wow!

Hopefully it lands on PS4 and/or PC. I'll be there day 1.

EDIT: If this is an MMO, I'm out.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
1. In terms of production values, every character has at least two artworks (very good art I might add) and the music is also great. For example, some boss battles for events get a complete new track just for them.

2. Characters get a lot of flavour in the way of:

- Voice acting with high profile voice actors (this is actually a big reason why it's popular)
- Battle/Special attack dialouge
- Character quests that are fully voiced and quite long
- Events in which some random SSR characters can appear and do some fun things like trying to catch a giant fish!

It makes it so that even a bad SSR roll still has some value to it, and while there are other games like Chain Chronicle that also do those kind of things. I do feel that Granblue basically blows everything out of the water when it comes to this. Quite impressive since the cast is (mostly) completely original.

3. Good collabs with popular franchises. We've seen Street Fighter, Idolm@ster and Tales of... appear for example. All the events get a completely original story and you can get characters like Ryu to use in your team.

4. The gameplay-cycle goes on longer than your average Mobage. Even if you're fully dedicated, it will probably take at least half a year of playing before you're capped out. I don't think other mobage can really compete with that.

5. There are also some cool Granblue related things that happen outside of the game, Music singles sung by the characters and fun streams for example.

If this is actually true, then I must admit you've gained my attention and I'm intrigued. BUT....the question is, can GBF be played on Steam, or PC in general?

Kouriozan

Looks great, maybe it'll finally be time for Granblue the gacha game to get a global version too!
Tried re-rolling with the japanese version and it was a chore to make all those email, in the end I only got bad roll anyway.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Based on just the trailer alone this feels like the rush job platinum team. Still, good to see PG getting work. Hope Catherine is playable.

Looks great, maybe it'll finally be time for Granblue the gacha game to get a global version too!
Tried re-rolling with the japanese version and it was a chore to make all those email, in the end I only got bad roll anyway.
Much better to stick with JP version with the English translation available.
A localized Global version will just fudge it up with lack of rewards and events.

Jindrael

Banned
If this is actually true, then I must admit you've gained my attention and I'm intrigued. BUT....the question is, can GBF be played on Steam, or PC in general?

You can and should play it on PC, there is a chromeapp version or you can just start from game.granbluefantasy.jp

there is also a wonderful community for granblue fantasy over on the community forums for those interested in started.
also a discord too that can help you get started.

discord.gg/K2bY4EU

Akainu

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /news/201608/21113724.html on this server.

Additionally, a 403 Forbidden error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

;_;
It's always odd to me that someone can reach member status and never have been in a thread with a famitsu link.

Some Nobody

Was that Famitsu link earlier an actual interview? If so, is there anyone that wouldn't mind summarizing it for us?

Also, a sidenote: as someone who first came here when the hype for Platinum Studios was at a fever pitch, but has never actually played a Platinum game before, I find the current attitude towards them hilarious. Like there's not obviously a difference between games like TMNT and Legend of Korra which had short reveal-release cycles because they had short development cycles, and stuff like Nier, Scalebound, and even this--which all started out looking OK and then are still getting over a year+ development from their initial reveals. P* hasn't changed the way they approach games and as far as I know hasn't lost any staff, it's just that they don't mind taking a quick, dirty game for some cash but clearly also have enough talent to put some real work in if they need to.

What I'm saying is: there's a very good chance their next three games will all be well-received, and it'll be hilarious watching the backpedaling.

Hastati

So, outside of character art, music, production values, etc., how is the lore and story in this, or is it just sorta shoved to the side? Like what can the franchise bring to the table for an ARPG spinoff?

I remember the Bahamut anime being pretty good, but know next to nothing about Granblue.

A little scared to try the mobile game considering how much I've spent on PAD ><;

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
You can and should play it on PC, there is a chromeapp version or you can just start from game.granbluefantasy.jp

Yeah but how's the performance whilst playing it this way? 60fps rock solid?

Also do you need to be tethered to an online connection? What happens if you lose your connection?

Merun

Yeah but how's the performance whilst playing it this way? 60fps rock solid?

Also do you need to be tethered to an online connection? What happens if you lose your connection?

Unless playing on a toaster, it will be max 30 fps. ( don't forget to press the speed button during battle ). Animation is locked to framerate, so higher framerate means faster animation. If you get caught, it's ban as it's an unfair advantage during raid and other event with MVP and points. But it doesn't really need 60fps.

As for losing connection, depends. Solo content will wait for your return. Raids are time limited. 1 hour and half till the end.

Sheiter

For anyone interested in trying Granblue out, there is an event currently running which halves the stamina cost for story and gives a 50% rank & xp boost which will effectively let you play through the story without hitting any stamina barriers for a very long time. It's a great time to try the game especially if you are usually warry of mobile game trappings.

So, outside of character art, music, production values, etc., how is the lore and story in this, or is it just sorta shoved to the side? Like what can the franchise bring to the table for an ARPG spinoff?

Characters are the most important thing that it can bring to the table. And honestly, unless we really know how the game plays there's not much to say outside of that.

As for translating the world/story into game mechanics there might be a focus on your airship and the fact that the world is based of small, flying continents, it already appears a bit in the trailer though.

Thinking about it, switching your Platinum motorcycle level with an airship would be pretty sick.

It's kind of odd that we can't tell the platform based on the visuals. It looks kind of like a Vita game ported to PS4 like those other cross release titles. There are particle effects which I don't think Vita can handle and the world seems pretty big, but it's kind of basic looking. Could just be they're targeting NX or it's just a low budget affair like their Activision titles. Interested in it in either case.
They're juggling 4 projects at once, with one admittedly just being a mobile game, so I wonder how good this one will be. Really hope to see PG branch out in a good way. Want to see them making a lot of different types of games for years to come

Jeffrey

Wish they'd setup a server on the west for gbf. The lag just makes it unpleasant to do anything in the game. Just can't find myself putting time and money into that.

Shame because the game seems fine.

Sheiter

It's kind of odd that we can't tell the platform based on the visuals. It looks kind of like a Vita game ported to PS4 like those other cross release titles. There are particle effects which I don't think Vita can handle and the world seems pretty big, but it's kind of basic looking. Could just be they're targeting NX or it's just a low budget affair like their Activision titles. Interested in it in either case.
If the game is actuslly only 10% done this was almost certainly prerendered so I wouldn't determine possile platforms just from the trailer.

Merun

Wish they'd setup a server on the west for gbf. The lag just makes it unpleasant to do anything in the game. Just can't find myself putting time and money into that.

Shame because the game seems fine.

Right now the is the Omega festival , which is pretty much asking players to hammer their server, meaning it will be laggier. Western server though are unlikely, because it would split the userbase. And last time I played a mobage with western version, ugh, it was horrible. Looking at you Chain Chronicle.

isamu

Unless playing on a toaster, it will be max 30 fps. ( don't forget to press the speed button during battle ). Animation is locked to framerate, so higher framerate means faster animation. If you get caught, it's ban as it's an unfair advantage during raid and other event with MVP and points. But it doesn't really need 60fps.

As for losing connection, depends. Solo content will wait for your return. Raids are time limited. 1 hour and half till the end.

Thanks for the answers Merun.

Instro

They're juggling 4 projects at once, with one admittedly just being a mobile game, so I wonder how good this one will be. Really hope to see PG branch out in a good way. Want to see them making a lot of different types of games for years to come

I would imagine that its probably a game targeting 60fps so that would impact the visuals heavily. I'm sure it's not big budget either, nor is it very far along. Definitely looks like a console title to me though.

HeeHo

I thought that looked pretty damn good. I don't have any sound at work but as long as the pacing is decent and the story/voice acting isn't crazy-stupid, I will probably be there day one.

Assuming it's not a mobile game.

Top Bottom