• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Granblue Fantasy Project Re:Link announced - Action RPG, Platinum Games [UPDATE]

duckroll

But will that tricked out endgame $90 team be shit in a couple of months?

It's a huge misconception that mobile games follow a sort of MMO curve as content is added. The reality is that if you have a great team of characters at any point of the cycle, and you keep playing, and keeping up with stuff, odd are the team will still be really good forever. If you have a team that was the best of the best at one point, sure after a bunch of mechanics are introduced and new characters are added, maybe they won't be the -best- of the best anymore, but they'll still be very useful in any new content. The majority of content (or all the content in most cases really) in these games are single player, the only competitive things tend to be pointless leaderboards. Good characters never become "shit".

The reason people keep gambling for new characters is because they like the designs and/or the voice actors attached to the characters. It's really a waifu sim in that sense.

Falk

that puzzling face

It's remained pretty stable, actually. You just grind for more weapons and more upgrades to your existing weapons.

I think Cygames figured that the whales are willing to spend for new waifus, not power creep, so keeping retention as high as possible (by not completely obsoleting characters) has been working out for them.

It's a huge misconception that mobile games follow a sort of MMO curve as content is added. The reality is that if you have a great team of characters at any point of the cycle, and you keep playing, and keeping up with stuff, odd are the team will still be really good forever. If you have a team that was the best of the best at one point, sure after a bunch of mechanics are introduced and new characters are added, maybe they won't be the -best- of the best anymore, but they'll still be very useful in any new content. The majority of content (or all the content in most cases really) in these games are single player, the only competitive things tend to be pointless leaderboards. Good characters never become "shit".

The reason people keep gambling for new characters is because they like the designs and/or the voice actors attached to the characters. It's really a waifu sim in that sense.

It really can go either. FFRK for example - RIP most of your non SSB 5*s at this point, really. On the other hand, the game and gacha for that is tuned in such a way that completely average pulls over time will establish you within a completely-f2p baseline power level unless you're absurdly unlucky
(send help)
, so it's not a 1:1 comparable business model anyway.

Zafir

Could be interesting.

I did try out Granblue Fantasy the other week. Story seemed interesting enough, but I kept getting put off by the notions of it being grindy. :p

Lime

The main character (I presume) looks really cool, the other ones not so much.

Here's the art from the mobile game:
Catalina.(Granblue.Fantasy).full.1976409.jpg

Durante

A Japanese mobile company that struck gold with Rage of Bahamut, ended up with way more money than they could spend. Bought out Hideo Hinaba's art studio and made them a subsidiary. Made Granblue Fantasy and struck more gold. Stole Akihiko Yoshida from Square Enix. Started an anime business studio. Started a high end dev studio in Osaka working on unannounced PS4 stuff. Still had too much money. So here we are today.
I had never heard of Cygames before today, but I think it's admirable that they are re-investing a good chunk of that microtransaction money into game development.

Sheiter

As Falk said, weapon pool >>>>> characters in granblue for determining strength. While new characters are introduced pretty regularly, few have been labeled as "must-have" for their element so if you pay your way to a good team it isn't going to be completely invalidated in a few months, no.

The main character (I presume) looks really cool, the other ones not so much.

To clarify a bit, Catalina (your picture) and Io (the mage) are both main travelling companions that are super relevant in the story mode. The knight and the girl with the whip are less important but still super popular characters.

The actual main character from the mobile game isn't in the trailer (RIP)

-------

As for making the other characters cool, all Platinum has to do is make a Summer costume for Percival and they're set.

bukj9M5.png

Falk

that puzzling face
I think Cygames figured that the whales are willing to spend for new waifus, not power creep, so keeping retention as high as possible (by not completely obsoleting characters) has been working out for them.

Just remembered: or swimsuit versions in summer. Case in point:

c29ArJEl.jpg

Oh boy, this was unexpected. Not the PS4 Granblue game, but Platinum actually being on dev duties. Can't wait to see how all this willl turn out. That trailer looked alright.

duckroll

I had never heard of Cygames before today, but I think it's admirable that they are re-investing a good chunk of that microtransaction money into game development.

The president of Cygames used to work at Silicon Studios as a game designer and director. They have expressed before that a number of people in management positions in the company actually came from console development backgrounds, so they do have an interest in going back into that if there's an opportunity. It's just that well... making browser/mobile games that take off successfully is so much more... profitable... lol.

Gloam

Platinum Games and Omega Force must be the hardest working dev teams in Japan at the moment. They both seem to be all over everything.

This looks really good, like the sword trail effect. Interesting strategy to work on a big budget adaptation of a mobile game. Working backward from the model we have here with little spin-offs of bigger titles for mobile.

demidar

To clarify a bit, Catalina (your picture) and Io (the mage) are both main travelling companions that are super relevant in the story mode. The knight and the girl with the whip are less important but still super popular characters.

The actual main character from the mobile game isn't in the trailer (RIP)

-------

As for making the other characters cool, all Platinum has to do is make a Summer costume for Percival and they're set.

bukj9M5.png

Summer costumes as DLCs would be so ridiculously profitable the Japanese government will come down on their asses again.

I want to be interested in this, but it looks a lot like that Ninja Turtles game.

By that I mean 4 player arena fights against giant enemy with a lot of health no hitstun animations

at least the Granblue property gives them more flexibility with movesets than a Turtles game

The artwork reminds me of battle fantasia. As for Platinums involvement, I wouldn't make much of it honestly. Seems like a very rote work for hire job. It would be nice if it amounted to more than that, but I'll keep my expectations low.

As for being the hardest working devs thing, I feel that both Nier and Scalebound are alot further along than we think and their release dates are more due to publisher scheduling than need for polish.

That said, Platinums prototyping team are still the stuff of legend. Who would of thought Platinum wouldd not only step out of Capcoms shadow but be more than twice as prolific in a few short years?

Itsuno just needs to jump shit at this point.

Edit: It would be hilarious is this turned out to be a PC exclusive.

Wow, very cool! I haven't been too impressed with gacha stuff (I tried to get into Terra Battle and Monster Strike, I really did, even played One Piece and DBZ gacha games) but the art style for Granblue is so sharp that I've almost been willing to try it out. If it's being turned into a Platinum action game that will presumably appear on PC? I'm on it

OnFire331

Really good trailer. Just got me to give the mobile game a try. But it wasn't good at all: music cut offs, long loading times, bad UI. I'll just wait for the PC/console game.

No? Outside of Bayonetta and arguably Vanquish and Bayonetta 2, all of their games have been good/interesting but flawed.

Funny you should say that because I actually like Metal Gear Rising, TW101 and TF:D more than Vanquish and even Bayonetta. And between these and the ones you mentioned, that's pretty much the entirety of P*'s output before Korra (yes, TF:D was after) ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I was going to talk mad trash about this, but then I saw Kenji Saito is involved.
Never mind, this *maybe* won't be another TMNT. Maybe it'll be another Transformers.

Top Bottom