• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Granblue Fantasy Project Re:Link announced - Action RPG, Platinum Games [UPDATE]

Nozomi

Banned
As long Vampi and Anchira are in im gonna buy it.

Vania_B.png

Anchira.png

Riposte

So this is a multiplayer game, yeah? The dragon fight at the end gives me Jhen Mohran vibes. This could very well be Platinum's first attempt as the co-op centric "Monster Hunter" formula (one could make a case for Ninja Turtles, but those bosses were more like MMO raids).

Kudo

So this is a multiplayer game, yeah? The dragon fight at the end gives me Jhen Mohran vibes. This could very well be Platinum's first attempt as the co-op centric "Monster Hunter" formula (one could make a case for Ninja Turtles, but those bosses were more like MMO raids).

They showed off some Scalebound co-op gameplay at E3 so maybe that's the new boom at the studio.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I added the Gematsu details to the OP:

Gematsu said:
Cygames announced Granblue Fantasy Project Re: Link, an action RPG developed by Platinum Games, during its Cygames Next 2016 event in Tokyo.

Set in the world of Granblue Fantasy, the game is produced by Cygames’ Koichi Haruta, directed by Cygames’ Tetsuya Fukuhara, features character design by Hideo Minaba, and music by Nobuo Uematsu and Tsutomu Narita.

The game is being made with the intention of multiplayer. The trailer shows four characters fighting alongside each other. However, there will also be a single-player scenario mode, and they’re being careful not to make the game difficult. The current progress of development is 10 percent, according to producer Haruta, and the plan is to continue increasing the amount of characters, so the game is expected to be large-scale. A release date and platform were not announced, but Haruta mentioned that he “bought a new PC for this” during the event.

Read more at http://gematsu.com/2016/08/cygames-...e-fantasy-project-re-link#ROFZfkyWj0t9TjiW.99

Strimei

Having recently gotten into Granblue, I'm definitely interested in seeing what comes out of this, especially with Platinum involved.

I'd love to see Platinum's output in the RPG genre

With the time and budget, they could create something just as cool as From software

Liseda

hopefully the trailer is just based on a tech-demo or something just to show off stuff.

would be pretty disappointing if they didn't use the original crew in the game :<

Dreavus

The counter move in the trailer looks like a lot of fun.

Doesn't seem to have the platinum speed to the combat system, but at the same time looks a lot more deliberate.

Online Multiplayer game in the likes of PSO or Dragon's Dogma Online sounds really interesting for a Platinum take on gameplay. Though normally those games have a create-a-character thing going on, so judging by the trailer, would they just use already made defined characters for that instead?

I guess it would fit with how the mobile game uses new characters, unrelated to the story, as microtransactions. Adapting/Making new characters to play as the game evolves would, again, be interesting.

As an aside, I'm actually kinda liking the mobile game.

BBboy20

If this is going to be multiplayer centric, maybe it's better to get it on PC due to having the highest probability of a community not dying out (Anarchy Reigns).

When are we getting a Platinum developed point and click adventure based on Diamond is Unbreakable?

I'm starting to believe it's possible.
Wait, what?

2nd attempt?

raven777

Hit impact feels really weak when Katarina attacks... hope it gets a bit stronger in the final build. Other than that I like what I saw.

Riposte

If this is going to be multiplayer centric, maybe it's better to get it on PC due to having the highest probability of a community not dying out (Anarchy Reigns).

Wait, what?

2nd attempt?

Unless you are counting the horde modes, which I don't, AR is not like Monster Hunter (MonHun clones or Phantasy Star or Diablo, etc.)

Squishy3

hopefully the trailer is just based on a tech-demo or something just to show off stuff.

would be pretty disappointing if they didn't use the original crew in the game :<
it says they're planning on adding multiple characters so i imagine it'll be vindictus style where the characters are just classes

I see. So it'll be a hub-based (or dungeon-based) MORPG like PSO, MonHun, etc?

That explains a lot why Platinum is developing this. Sounds great to me.

trailer give me Tales of vibes, hope it's good, I also like that it seems terrain are varied like the little witch girl casting magic from higher terrain.

do we know if it's single player rpg like tales?

edit: oh it's multiplayer... I hope you can still play it solo and have fun.

duckroll

I think the assumption that this is a multiplayer centric game is jumping to conclusions. The producer and Saito simply confirmed that there would be multiplayer. The fact that they mention a scenario mode and a multiplayer mode separately actually indicates to me that the MP might be co-op missions and raid bosses like how Xenoblade X does it. While the majority of the content is SP.

TreIII

I think the assumption that this is a multiplayer centric game is jumping to conclusions. The producer and Saito simply confirmed that there would be multiplayer. The fact that they mention a scenario mode and a multiplayer mode separately actually indicates to me that the MP might be co-op missions and raid bosses like how Xenoblade X does it. While the majority of the content is SP.

Which would be just fine by me, in theory.

P* has yet to really hit the sweetspot when it comes to a lasting MP solution, so I'm glad they're still trying to find one through their upcoming offerings.

Dark_castle

The fact that they decided to point out that there's a multi-player mode tells me the single-player mode is merely an afterthought. Regular RPG details all the single player information before ending with some light multi-player. The trailer which solely comprises of combat confirmed my suspicion. Zero story, zero dialogue, zero exploration.

Yes, i imagine that's what they want to do with raid bosses like in the Proto-Bahamut fight in that trailer.

Game comes out, multiplayer is exactly like Mobage, where you all fight the enemy on your own side, without ever seeing other players, you just do damage to a shared healthbar
/s

bunkitz

Fuck. Please don't be mobile. I read that the original Granblue Fantasy is a mobile game, but the gameplay's a completely different thing, so I'm gonna be hopeful on this. Very happy about the character designs, though. They all look great, and that's no surprise considering Hideo Minaba's working on it! &#9829;

DJIzana

What are the chances that we can see classes from the main character you play as in the mobile game like Hermit or Holy Sabre, for instance?

Also, just saw an older post from Duckroll saying the anime will be a year long? Are. My eyes deceiving me?!

I really hope to see cities as well. I have high hopes if this is a large scale effort from Platinum Games if that's what the translation claims, from Cygames.

Anyone who hasn't had a chance to see some of the art...I'd just like to say I'm not one who normally impulse buys (and especially haven't been one for mobile games) but again, Granblue Fantasy drew me in. It's amazing. The art book has really cool character designs and locations especially! (That's why I hope we can see cities too!)

zeromcd73

Has this been posted yet? From Platinum's official website:

We at PlatinumGames are&#12288;excited&#12288;to&#12288;announce&#12288;that we&#8217;re developing two new titles in collaboration with Cygames:
LOST ORDER and GRANBLUE FANTASY Project Re:Link, revealed at Cygames NEXT 2016 on August 21.

Both of these projects are entirely new experiences for us: Lost Order will be PlatinumGames&#8217; first-ever smartphone title, and GRANBLUE FANTASY Project Re:Link is our first console game based on an extremely popular smartphone franchise.

As a game developer, of course we&#8217;ve long considered both consoles and smartphones to be viable platforms for our products. Up until now, though, we have always focused on creating experiences for console and PC. The main reason for that is that we considered these platforms the most suitable for delivering products using high-level technology. However, the improved capabilities that come with the evolution of smart devices have become a source of inspiration to us, and we feel these devices offer unique ways of expressing ourselves through our content. From here on out, we will participate more actively in development for mobile platforms through titles such as LOST ORDER, while at the same time maintaining the development of high-end game content for consoles, such as the upcoming Scalebound and NieR:Automata, as our primary axis. We aim to keep bringing our fans the quality they expect from PlatinumGames, regardless of the platform.

With LOST ORDER, we are working with renowned creators, and with GRANBLUE FANTASY Project Re:Link, we are teaming up with a new partner who&#8217;s a major player in the smartphone field. Going forward, we hope to gain even more opportunities to work with a variety of creative minds from the industry in order to bring our current and future fans fresh and exciting content.
PlatinumGames is moving into an exciting new future &#8211; I hope you&#8217;ll join us.

Seemingly confirms that this is coming to consoles since PC is referred to as a separate thing. Also Platinum going to to start making mobile games going forward without abandoning console game development, of course.

sense

Seemingly confirms that this is coming to consoles since PC is referred to as a separate thing. Also Platinum going to to start making mobile games going forward without abandoning console game development, of course.
I don't think there was any doubt as to whether it was coming to consoles aka ps4. Them not confirming ps4 seems weird so maybe nx or they are waiting for
psp2;)
to be confirmed

DJIzana

I should also mention, people impressed by the setting of just the one area we've seen? Just wait to see if we can go elsewhere and what else is in store. So many possibilities and even the cities too... Ugh.

For those that haven't played Granblue or haven't seen the concept art of the locations or are interested by the setting... As an example, think areas that look like Zangarmash or Duskwood from WoW or... Arni Village, Termina, Shadow Forest from Chrono Cross and even more.

If you love the high fantasy setting as much as I do then I think we can really be in for a huge surprise. Especially if this only 10% of the game and supposedly a large scale game.

Exentryk

Nice! Now to figure out if the game has a worthwhile single player story, or if it's an afterthought with multiplayer being the primary focus.

3Kaze

I should also mention, people impressed by the setting of just the one area we've seen? Just wait to see if we can go elsewhere and what else is in store. So many possibilities and even the cities too... Ugh.

For those that haven't played Granblue or haven't seen the concept art of the locations or are interested by the setting... As an example, think areas that look like Zangarmash or Duskwood from WoW or... Arni Village, Termina, Shadow Forest from Chrono Cross and even more.

If you love the high fantasy setting as much as I do then I think we can really be in for a huge surprise. Especially if this only 10% of the game and supposedly a large scale game.
It's still a spin off so I don't know if it will really be large scale but it would be really cool to wander in all the islands and fight every primal beasts.

stamp40.png

I'm kinda wary that they went from "focusing on PC and consoles" to "focusing on mobile and consoles". PC is out for this?

Top Bottom