• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto V released in advance in France

Jubern

Some people already talke about it but this is only news because it's GTA V. It happens for EVERY game.

Coverage notwithstanding this isn't an indication of GTA V being huge or whatnot (though it actually is).

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Amazon UK sent mine yesterday, so it will be here on Monday. Apparently retailers got greenlight by T2...
Amazon has in the past prevented shippers from delivering games early. Since they are a big purchaser they commonly try not to go against the wishes of the publishers.

Some people already talke about it but this is only news because it's GTA V. It happens for EVERY game.

Coverage notwithstanding this isn't an indication of GTA V being huge or whatnot (though it actually is).
But does every game have anti-leaking measures as strong or expensive as GTA V?

Jubern

But does every game have anti-leaking measures as strong or expensive as GTA V?

What are you referring to? A piece of paper that says "please don't sell the game", which the Republique people have shown no interest in respecting until now?

They are obviously not afraid of any consequences.

great article lol
so, someone had "a sudden urge to kill" because he didn't get GTA.
Well I can understand that because apparently this game is a drug (and gamers are "addict")
wow

LOL, a whole country saying "fuck off" to a release date?

Ain't this the first time I see this?? Seriously, GTA5 is going to be huuuuuuge, maybe history making sales...
This isn't exactly a "whole country", the biggest retailers tend to avoid doing that. Hell, my amazon.fr order has not shipped yet.

My understanding of the situation is that with every big release, some smaller retailers use their only competitive edge by releasing games early, this usually snowballs and other retailers (independent or local outlets of the big ones) break the date to keep up.

I was under the impression this happened naturally in pretty much every country, if only because the smaller guys:
- have shit margins on new games and thus cannot easily afford to cut prices.
- have to compete with more visible big retailers, who offer the convenience of brick and mortar stores.
- cannot remotely compete with online prices.

Atruvius

S¡mon;81837237 said:
Rating on the box, in Europe, is advisory - parents obviously think he can handle the game.
Not really. Stores selling +18 rated games to minors can get fined. And you have to show your id when you're buying +18 games.

Jackano

You can basically expect those Paris stores to break street dates every single time, if only by a day or two.
Indeed, stores tends to receive the games on tuesdays, and street dates are always fridays. Lately I got Pikmin 3 on a tuesday afternoon instead of the friday.
Releasing the digital version at least 5 days ahead the street date should be a good idea, just like Nintendo do for TWWHD in the US.

Not really. Stores selling +18 rated games to minors can get fined. And you have to show your id when you're buying +18 games.
I never saw something like that in France. No one give a frak to sell 18+ games to 12-14yo.
The seller is happy, the publisher is happy (the game is sold and they have their money), the young gamer is happy, the parents are happy because their child have its game and will not bother them while playing, and they still can claim it's the game or the governement fault if something goes wrong about their child education.

strafer

lZSVEsz.jpg

cilonen

I got my Amazon.co.uk dispatch confirmation of my copy last night. Still has an expected delivery date of Tuesday but one can hope...

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
My local mom and pop will not sell it early because they are terrified that Rockstar may drop the litigation hammer on them.

And they sell everything early.

Vizzeh

Banned
I really wish all games came out on Fridays...

I dont see why they do not come out on fridays, even Midnight launches would get alot more people going to them... Fridays make so much more sense for the consumer, I would guess it to "build momentum" or something, which I am not so sure it does much off.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I dont see why they do not come out on fridays, even Midnight launches would get alot more people going to them... Fridays make so much more sense for the consumer, I would guess it to "build momentum" or something, which I am not so sure it does much off.

It's an arbitrary date that was made decades ago by suppliers of retail stores.

Jb

I knew I should have gone to République yesterday :/
The fuckers always make a ton of money by selling a day or two in advance for 70EUR (instead of 50 on Amazon). You also don't get a receipt and have to pay in cash.

feli

meh, i was chopping off heads in the original MK when i was 10, no homicides yet. let kids play this shit.

So do I with GTA Vice City at the age of 12. It depends from the education that a boy has. I'm sure that if he is a good guy, he will remain a good guy even after playing GTA V.

in what world is GTA cult XD
pupeteer and wonderful 101 are cult not GTA V

The French definition of 'cult' ('culte') is 'Great admiration, passion for a person or a thing', e.g. 'A cult film'. The closest English equivalent would be 'legendary', or something that influenced a whole generation. In French, you can say that Queen is a 'cult' band. It doesn't necessarily imply a small fanbase.

If I had copies, I'd put them out. Why wait for Tuesday when everyone will be selling the same product, when you can draw the crowd today alone?

This release day stuff is bullshit.

$h@d0w

Breaking the street date is absolutely the right thing to do.

There are stores here (Hong Kong) playing the pirated version on huge 50" TVs to attract customers.

Amazon has in the past prevented shippers from delivering games early. Since they are a big purchaser they commonly try not to go against the wishes of the publishers.

Good luck trying that with Danish postal service. If Danes do one thing better than any other people it's not giving a damn about anything.

there have been copies in new york too, mom and pop shops always get games early and this guy said someone was selling it for $200 lol.
on Thursday

I would pay $100 max for a week early, i know im a dummy

What a fool believes :p

Europe always wins

Respawn

Banned
I played GTA in six grade, the original. Let kids play, rather have my kid at home playing GTA versus doing a ton of drugs.

Anyway I need this fucking game now.
You can't be serious? The original was a whole fuck different tha the realistic graphical portrayal of GTA today.

kharma45

I wish I'd ordered from Amazon UK instead of Flubit. It seems everyone I know who likes games seems to have already got their copy.

eXistor

So do I with GTA Vice City at the age of 12. It depends from the education that a boy has. I'm sure that if he is a good guy, he will remain a good guy even after playing GTA V.
It depends on the context. If a parent gives their child permission to play an 18+ game, you're giving him the wrong signal. The kid's gonna play it one way or another, but if he's playing it knowing his parents would skin him alive if they found out, that's a whole different ballpark.

Metalmarc

I was slighty shocked at a 11yr old getting the game too, then i remembered im a fine one talking i was 11 when i got my hands on mortal kombat 1, remember how photorealistic the graphics were back then?

And i was ripping out a womans heart and ripping her head off (sonya) and the same to the guys, with their spine dangling out, but more shocking was the ability to do it to the female charchter, admittedly the rest of the mortal kombats looked a bit cartoony, but the first one back in the day looked pretty good for it's time

I suppose they don't quite compare but
Pretty much how i think gta 5 will look more cartoony 20 yrs from now by that dates standard.

Metalmarc

I wish I'd ordered from Amazon UK instead of Flubit. It seems everyone I know who likes games seems to have already got their copy.

Not here from amazon uk yet
Not me nor my girlfriend. Theres a few people i know who ordered on amazon and haven't received it here in the uk yet, are the ones posted online even legit? Like the receipt i saw for it earlier in the thread supposedly from amazon uk on the receipt it says £29 as far as i know it hasn't even been available at £29 even on early preorder price

Top Bottom