• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen

What’s your guys sense on the Witcher 3 next gen update? Is it going to be great for PC guys and an afterthought type situation for ps5/sx? Let’s face it CDProject is a PC centric dev and all they really said about the console version was “it’s gonna be like the pc ultra version”. When I heard that I was immediately concerned because, yay, its now on par with what a 2015 PC now. Except these systems are more like 2070ti’s right?

Then when they were talking about PC features it was RT gi this, rt ao that, dlss3 they, soft shadows them

I dunno man im expecting to be disappointed again by another 3rd party next gen patch ...

Dampf

Horizon FW has yet to be toppled. There have been some impressive scenes in GOW:R. However, the graphics in that game are way to inconsistent.
Yeah. NFS looks quite good, but FH5 looks way better, in every area besides reflections maybe. FH5 in Quality mode is just in an entirely different league in geometric detail/density and lighting.

Last edited:
Anyone pick this one up yet? Thoughts?

If you haven't played NFS regularly, you might be impressed but this is literally the same engine from NFS 2015 just in 4K. So even back then the game looked just as good. So far Im playing it and it looks like a rush job, the map itself is very similar to HEAT. I dunno what happened at Criterion but they def put out a product last minute. I guess its an OK game just kind of doesn't have its own identity, very bland. I mean even the story is almost the same as HEAT, a female friend who betrays you etc. The anime effects don't bother me but the VoiceOver.....oh god, it has never been worse. NFS 2015 cringe that people hated (I liked), deserves an Oscar compared to this. It literally sound every character is just winging it, no emotion in their voice. The first time you hear Rydells voice, the guy that has the garage, you will laugh....guy sounds like he just woke up.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Now compare it to this heavily stylized character model. Gorgeous graphics... But clearly making it look real life like was not the priority.
d20220516_TLOUX_Annouce_Stills_5_WM.jpg
how is this heavily styilized? looks photorealistic to me

ChiefDada

Gold Member
If you haven't played NFS regularly, you might be impressed but this is literally the same engine from NFS 2015 just in 4K. So even back then the game looked just as good. So far Im playing it and it looks like a rush job, the map itself is very similar to HEAT. I dunno what happened at Criterion but they def put out a product last minute. I guess its an OK game just kind of doesn't have its own identity, very bland. I mean even the story is almost the same as HEAT, a female friend who betrays you etc. The anime effects don't bother me but the VoiceOver.....oh god, it has never been worse. NFS 2015 cringe that people hated (I liked), deserves an Oscar compared to this. It literally sound every character is just winging it, no emotion in their voice. The first time you hear Rydells voice, the guy that has the garage, you will laugh....guy sounds like he just woke up.

Appreciate the info. Sad to hear as I was really hoping they'd step it up a notch considering it's current gen only. The art style does look pretty cool imo.

Appreciate the info. Sad to hear as I was really hoping they'd step it up a notch considering it's current gen only. The art style does look pretty cool imo.

Btw if you want to see what Im talking about, I timestamped it exactly when you first get to hear Rydell speak in the garage. Obviously don't watch more than that cutscene because of spoilers but the first minute you can see what im talking about when I say he sounds like the dude just woke up and can't even have his voice loud enough to hear XD.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
If you haven't played NFS regularly, you might be impressed but this is literally the same engine from NFS 2015 just in 4K.

I've played 2015, Payback and Heat. All on PC, all in 4k. And I'm still impressed with Unbound. It's not 100% consistent as it can go from looking very good to incredible and back to very good in second but when it looks incredible it really is something.

I expect a juicy DF video on this one. For me it's a graphical surprise of the year.

walter568

Neo Member
Btw if you want to see what Im talking about, I timestamped it exactly when you first get to hear Rydell speak in the garage. Obviously don't watch more than that cutscene because of spoilers but the first minute you can see what im talking about when I say he sounds like the dude just woke up and can't even have his voice loud enough to hear XD.

Am I really the only one ?
The size of the Lamborghini is really small isn't it ?
Not realistic.

Three

What’s your guys sense on the Witcher 3 next gen update? Is it going to be great for PC guys and an afterthought type situation for ps5/sx? Let’s face it CDProject is a PC centric dev and all they really said about the console version was “it’s gonna be like the pc ultra version”.
I'd expect the opposite. It's going to be great for console guys and an afterthought for PC. It is just making the console versions more like PC after all.

KXVXII9X

Yeah but the animations and the way the character is able to turn 360 degrees on a dime is a problem that we have today unfortunately. One thing I am most looking forward to in the future of games is animations more than anything else could be because I am mainly a sports gamer too.
Same. I know gamers think it is mostly a waste of time, but I really value animations in games. It is why something like Mario Odyssey is fun to play and looks great because of how fluid it is. Every action is created with personality. Same with Splatoon. It adds so much life to a game.

I am curious to see how well real current gen sports games are animated in the future. The faces currently still look stiff. I think even a slight bit of stylization could help.

alloush

Same. I know gamers think it is mostly a waste of time, but I really value animations in games. It is why something like Mario Odyssey is fun to play and looks great because of how fluid it is. Every action is created with personality. Same with Splatoon. It adds so much life to a game.

I am curious to see how well real current gen sports games are animated in the future. The faces currently still look stiff. I think even a slight bit of stylization could help.
Animations are an area that needs serious improvements in videogames honestly. Yes I might be saying that cuz I am mainly a sports gamer but I cannot help but notice it in other games too. It is an area that that I have always been interested in more than anything else. Also the problem is not just the fluidity of the animations for me but also the lack of sense of weight to the characters in games. It sticks out like a sore thumb to me lol.

Last edited:

ProtoByte

Last of Us Part II is still the king of animation. Can't wait to see what ND will pull off with their new title. I'm hoping they've shared their tech/methods with other PS Studios - Insomniac was already pretty great with animations as it was, but Spider-Man 2 should take it to the next level.

This is spot on. I actually fired up nfs 2015 last night on my ps5. Now THAT was impressive for its time. It’s not exaggerating to say that if nfs 2015 was 4k/60 (its only 1080p/30 on ps5), it would look as good if not better than Unbound.

Nfs Unbound isn’t a bad looking game at all its just disappointing considering we’re 7 years after 2015 and on nect gen hardware. You can tell just a lot more effort went in to nfs 2015. This city is pretty enough, has better draw distance and better iq plus hdr but lacks character and is dull.

I find myself saying this a lot lately but devs aren’t putting in the same effort into visuals as they were back in 2015.

That voice actor played Nathan Drakes “copper” diving boss in Uncharted 4.

I fired up Last of Us part 2 yesterday for the first time in many months to compare it to part 1 remake. Still looks incredible but i can say without question Part 1 is indeed an improvement in several areas. There is a good deal more detail in part 1 and that goes for fidelity and performance modes. It’s most obvious indoors- more objects and possibly higher res textures. Shadow quality is greatly improved. Part 2 has an issue with shadows particularly outdoors where they flicker and are low res. Also, image quality is better even at 1440p.

However Lou2 has better animations. Sublime.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I fired up Last of Us part 2 yesterday for the first time in many months to compare it to part 1 remake. Still looks incredible but i can say without question Part 1 is indeed an improvement in several areas. There is a good deal more detail in part 1 and that goes for fidelity and performance modes. It’s most obvious indoors- more objects and possibly higher res textures. Shadow quality is greatly improved. Part 2 has an issue with shadows particularly outdoors where they flicker and are low res. Also, image quality is better even at 1440p.

However Lou2 has better animations. Sublime.
tlou2 has way bigger areas and im not talking about that one open world level.

tlou1 levels are much smaller which lets them pack in more detail.

KXVXII9X

Animations are an area that needs serious improvements in videogames honestly. Yes I might be saying that cuz I am mainly a sports gamer but I cannot help but notice it in other games too. It is an area that that I have always been interested in more than anything else. Also the problem are not just the fluidity of the animations for me but also the lack of sense of weight to the characters in games. It sticks out like a sore thumb to me lol.
It is nice to finally meet someone as passionate about animation in games as me! Yes, weight is another component missing. Games lack that oomph. I hope physics and A.I. are also explored more.

CamHostage

An unlikely candidate for this conversation...

Fortnite just updated to UE 5.1 for its Chapter 4 launch. "Next-gen Unreal Engine 5 features such as Nanite, Lumen, Virtual Shadow Maps, and Temporal Super Resolution are now available in Fortnite Battle Royale on PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X|S, PC, and cloud gaming!"

9f0VWqi.jpg

xkEd87g.jpg

H2egWBD.jpg

H . R . 2

Fortnite just updated to UE 5.1 for its Chapter 4 launch. "Next-gen Unreal Engine 5 features such as Nanite, Lumen, Virtual Shadow Maps, and Temporal Super Resolution are now available in Fortnite Battle Royale on PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X|S, PC, and cloud gaming!"

9f0VWqi.jpg

xkEd87g.jpg

H2egWBD.jpg
looking good
but this is not even a quarter of UE5.1's full potential. this is an UE5 integration for a multiplayer game that everyone is supposed to be able to run.
Visually , the Matrix Demo hasn't been beaten yet. I wish we could see UE5.1's power in that demo in the form of some foliage and vegetation around the city or in parks

Last edited:

alloush

Last of Us Part II is still the king of animation. Can't wait to see what ND will pull off with their new title. I'm hoping they've shared their tech/methods with other PS Studios - Insomniac was already pretty great with animations as it was, but Spider-Man 2 should take it to the next level.
TLOU2 had some pretty good animations but I would say Red Dead Redemption 2 had the best animations in the sense that characters felt weighty, had some sorta inertia/momentum and locomotion to them if that makes sense but obviously still far off from feeling realistic.

It is nice to finally meet someone as passionate about animation in games as me! Yes, weight is another component missing. Games lack that oomph. I hope physics and A.I. are also explored more.
I reckon we are years away from having human-like animations in videogames. Human bodies are pretty complex with limbs, bones, flesh and stuff making up our body. It isn't easy to mimic and recreate in videogames as the tech isn't there yet. The day we get that level of animations in videogames sports games will reign supreme (to me at least:messenger_beaming:).

Last edited:

ProtoByte

TLOU2 had some pretty good animations but I would say Red Dead Redemption 2 had the best animations in the sense that characters felt weighty, had some sorta inertia/momentum and locomotion to them if that makes sense but obviously still far off from feeling realistic.
Red Dead 2's inertia had as much to do with sluggish input as it did with overly long animations. Realism is great, but smooth gameplay takes priority. The best animations are smooth with the appropriate weight, and feel good to execute on the controller.

That's why ND ranks at the top for me. Not enough people talk about how good TLOU2's gameplay is, but that's another discussion.

sendit

Red Dead 2's inertia had as much to do with sluggish input as it did with overly long animations. Realism is great, but smooth gameplay takes priority. The best animations are smooth with the appropriate weight, and feel good to execute on the controller.

That's why ND ranks at the top for me. Not enough people talk about how good TLOU2's gameplay is, but that's another discussion.

Exactly this. Couldn't finish RDR2, every action felt like a chore.

SlimySnake

9f0VWqi.jpg

xkEd87g.jpg

H2egWBD.jpg
Tried it today. It still looks like shit.

You guys must be insane. Fortnite is running at 60fps with lumen and nanite. It's an accomplishment by itself and a great positive sign for the future of gaming.

And the game now looks incredible. Please grow up.
No, did you not hear them? It looks like SHIT. Absolute garbage.

From what I’ve seen the game now looks a bit like some pre rendered Pixar like animation stuff, but I guess those also look like SHIT.

alloush

I hear you. But you said it, there was input lag, but the feel of weight you get when controlling the characters feels nice to me at least. The thing is, having realistic animations does not equate to sluggishness but as I mentioned before the tech is not there yet to mimic real life inertia where characters feel weighty but also smooth.

I also think that we are so used to sped-up animations and lack of inertia where we can turn 360 degrees on a dime so much so that when we get a little bit of inertia/locomotion in videogames we feel like it feels so sluggish!

Hugare

Tried it today. It still looks like shit.
Turn off 120 FPS mode

Impossible to say that it looks like shit. Seriously.

The GI system is impressive af. You see lighting boucing everywhere. You destroy a wall, and light leaks realistically, bouncing inside the house. It's gorgeous.

Almost no pop in when jumping from the bus. Every tree having tons of geometry detail due to Nanite. Reflections are also gorgeous.

John from DF is working on a video. You'll se how impressive this shit is.

Last edited:

H . R . 2

Looks phenomenal really.

Not sure what some are on about here.
Lumen is firing on all cylinders here but perhaps people were expecting Nanite to put on a show as well.
but I think it would have been unrealistic to maintain parity across all platforms

mxbison

I repeat it is not as mindblowing as the Matrix Demo

The-Matrix-Awakens.jpg

https%3A%2F%2Fhypebeast.com%2Fimage%2F2021%2F12%2Fthe-matrix-awakens-an-unreal-engine-5-experience-ps5-xbox-x-s-free-release-000.jpg

354RfPVU8UJz7LVkfkWrwT.png

but then again it was never supposed to be, it's a multiplayer GAAS title. so describing it as "shit" or comparing it with the demo is unwarranted

here's a better comparison

g2wqe10no44a1.jpg

xbox-owners-stunned-by-insane-fortnite-graphics-following-unreal-engine-5-1-upgrade.large.jpg

fortnite-unreal-engine-5-comparaison_1_-6743d.jpg

xtqci1s4l64a1.jpg

not quite there yet though :D
digitalfoundry-2020-unreal-engine-5-playstation-5-tech-demo-analysis-1589464603264.jpg

newsroom-share-1200x630-1200x630-81a01bee1d9a.jpg

Well yeah, but it's engine demo vs actual game.

Fortnite looks really damn impressive and anyone saying otherwise is just salty that a super casual f2p game popular among kids is one of the best looking games right now.

Lethal01

I repeat it is not as mindblowing as the Matrix Demo

The-Matrix-Awakens.jpg

not quite there yet though :D
digitalfoundry-2020-unreal-engine-5-playstation-5-tech-demo-analysis-1589464603264.jpg

newsroom-share-1200x630-1200x630-81a01bee1d9a.jpg

It's actually more impressive in many ways, first off they have nanite working with foliage in addition to it being lumen being far more efficient than it was when any of those demos released, the only thing they might really beat it on is geometric density. that said those trees in fornite are apparently over 300m triangles each so that may not be true.

SlimySnake

It's actually more impressive in many ways, first off they have nanite working with foliage in addition to it being lumen being far more efficient than it was when any of those demos released, the only thing they might really beat it on is geometric density. that said those trees in fornite are apparently over 300m triangles each so that may not be true.
What foliage? the game has some of the shittiest looking trees in existence. The art style is absolutely horrendous.

All they have improved is the lighting which is more accurate too. But is it on par with even ratchet? Not really. Accurate lighting might look great in comparisons when your game looked like a PS3 game but it doesnt really make the game look next gen. Look at the Mario movie. Similar artstyles. Looks magical. Thats what Fortnite and even Ratchet should be targeting. I dont care if they have to drop down to 1080p like the Matrix. Those visuals should be the aim this gen especially if they fall short.

WKSSqlm.gif

6gW6Pxw.gif

100% this.

If RDR II had TLOU II's controls and gunplay it would push very hard as my favourite game of all time. RDR II feels awful to play unfortunately due to the latency of pressing an action and it actually taking place on screen. Hopefully Rockstar can be bothered to take the framerate limit off the PS4/XBO app when it sees it's running on a PS5/SX and we'll have 60fps RDRII which will help a little versus the current 30fps input lag.

Lethal01

What foliage? the game has some of the shittiest looking trees in existence. The art style is absolutely horrendous.

All they have improved is the lighting which is more accurate too. But is it on par with even ratchet? Not really.

Fortnite's is definitely better technically and often artistically too imo. Ratchet foliage can be super flat.

Ratchet-Clank-Rift-Apart-20210610204456.png
Ratchet-Clank-Rift-Apart-20210611102703.png

and again this is a game where everything can be destroyed so it's all being calculated in real time.
fortnite5_12_20229_353yfbv.png

Every leaf and blade of grass is real geometry, each tree being about half a billion triangles, that can always cast direct and indirect shadows.
lighting is a third of graphics, geometry is the other third. Downplaying one game having better lighting is insane.

FortniteClient-Win64-Shipping_2022_12_06_22_21_49_551.png

Doesn't matter if someone thinks the grass is too colorful or don't like the structure of the trees. Fortnite is just objectively more impressive technically. Especially when again, it's fully dynamic lighting.

But if you wanna go down that road then fine, BoTW stomps em them both.:messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

KXVXII9X

Fortnite's is definitely better technically and often artistically too imo. Ratchet foliage can be super flat.

and again this is a game where everything can be destroyed so it's all being calculated in real time.

Every leaf and blade of grass is real geometry, each tree being about half a billion triangles, that can always cast direct and indirect shadows.
lighting is a third of graphics, geometry is the other third. Downplaying one game having better lighting is insane.

Doesn't matter if someone thinks the grass is too colorful or don't like the structure of the trees. Fortnite is just objectively more impressive technically. Especially when again, it's fully dynamic lighting.

But if you wanna go down that road then fine, BoTW stomps em them both.:messenger_tears_of_joy:
Is that last picture actually Fortnite?!

I know it is gorgeous with the newest UE 5.1 update, but this looks wow... I wish the Sims 5 would look like this.

Banned

agreed.
Fortnite uses RT for Reflections, GI, Shadows, and AO all while having dynamic skyboxes and a gigantic map with 100 players that are able to destroy everything on the map
Ratchet uses RT for Reflections exclusively and has restricted levels, doesn't use RT on water surfaces and has barely any destructability.

now, Ratched has better reflections than this new version of Fortnite (the old UE4 and UE5.0 version used the old style UE RT reflections that were more detailed), but Fortnite is LEAGUES above Ratchet when it comes to the complete package, while also running all of that at 60fps on console.

I kinda wish tho that they would offer higher detail reflections in an Update for Fortnite on PC.

Last edited:
Top Bottom