• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen

Banned
FortniteClient-Win64-Shipping_2022_12_06_22_21_49_551.png

I was at that spot just now and took a pick of my settings in that spot.
but time of day is different of course since it's fully dynamic, but I took 2 shots

this is on an RTX3060ti at 1440p with TSR on Balanced

DKV8Chw.jpg

for the second screenshot I turned Lumen GI to the max, the shot above is on high.
the shot below shows why I'm using the high setting when actually playing, while I get 60+ fps on the Epic setting, I can't guarantee to stay above 60 at all times.

GiUVBjp.jpg

all my Settings:

1440p
Vsync: off

Motion Blur: Off
AA/Super Resolution: Lowest TSR
TSR: Balanced (58% scale at 1440p = ~835p)
Nanite: On
Virtual Shadows: Medium
Lumen GI: High (first Screenshot), Epic (Second Screenshot)
Lumen Reflections: Epic
Drawdistance: Far
Testures: High
Effects: Medium
Post Processing: Medium
Hardware RT: On
Nvidia Reflex: On

sadly DLSS is currently not available (due to UE5.1 not supporting it yet), because I bet with DLSS this would look way better... TSR is nice and all, but far from DLSS when it comes to temporal stability.

EDIT:

a few shots with different settings on the RTX3060ti:

1440p Max Settings, Native TSR (TSR is used for AA not upsampling)
fortnitemaxnativetsrakd3p.png

1440p Max Settings, Epic TSR Quality (66% Scale = 950p)
fortnitemaxqualitytsrcads7.png

1440p High Settings, Epic TSR Quality (66% Scale = 950p)
fortnitehighqualitytsttipc.png

with everything set to High and using Epic TSR in Quality mode you can get a decent 60fps on a 3060ti at 1440p

Last edited:

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
Tons of GOW: R shots that look soo fucking, but be warned. Please don't look at this if you haven't played it yet, experience it yourself for the first time.
HEAVY HEAVY SPOILERS! HEAVY HEAVY SPOILERS! HEAVY HEAVY SPOILERS! HEAVY HEAVY SPOILERS!
Part1
God-of-War-Ragnar-k-20221111172807.png

God-of-War-Ragnar-k-20221111172842.png

God-of-War-Ragnar-k-20221112032854.png

God-of-War-Ragnar-k-20221113021521.png

God-of-War-Ragnar-k-20221113022252.png

God-of-War-Ragnar-k-20221113022626.png

God-of-War-Ragnar-k-20221113023333.png

God-of-War-Ragnar-k-20221113035633.png

Part 2
God-of-War-Ragnar-k-20221114214627.png

God-of-War-Ragnar-k-20221114211936.png

God-of-War-Ragnar-k-20221115212434.png

God-of-War-Ragnar-k-20221114212348.png

God-of-War-Ragnar-k-20221114232818.png

God-of-War-Ragnar-k-20221115002837.png

God-of-War-Ragnar-k-20221117190432.png

God-of-War-Ragnar-k-20221115211943.png

Part 3
God-of-War-Ragnar-k-20221115012653.png

God-of-War-Ragnar-k-20221117204549.png

God-of-War-Ragnar-k-20221119011425.png

God-of-War-Ragnar-k-20221119013251.png

God-of-War-Ragnar-k-20221119020918.png

God-of-War-Ragnar-k-20221119020944.png

God-of-War-Ragnar-k-20221119024006.png

God-of-War-Ragnar-k-20221119024359.png

God-of-War-Ragnar-k-20221119024204.png
I finished it recently. Fucking crazy visuals for what is essentially built around the technical constraints of a circa 2011 GPU and a CPU which is just disgustingly awful in 2022. The SSM developers are super, super talented.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Are you guys excited for today?

Last year, Keighley showed up with some excellent looking games. Hoping for more this year considering we are in year 3 of next gen.

Just thinking about the compromises and decisions that were made on the rendering systems in HFW to make sure it runs on the PS4...I'm really curious what they'll pull off with the sequel which will no doubt be a PS5 exclusive.

world wars GIF

Another cool detail, not so much graphics but a good example of attention to detail in game design.

Are you guys excited for today?

Last year, Keighley showed up with some excellent looking games. Hoping for more this year considering we are in year 3 of next gen.

Honestly if we don't see anything "next-gen" by the end of this year, it's going to get concerning. Traditionally, the second wave of games always tapped into the new hardware and it's been more than enough time for developers to get to grips with the new feature sets.

My money is on Death Stranding 2 delivering some next-gen goodness, and I have a hunch we'll see Spider-man 2 as well.

GooseMan69

With Death Stranding 2 and Horizon DLC being announced, we finally got a glimpse of what the top tier devs will be able to do with the PS5, free of restraints. Really excited to see more of those games. What you guys think?

SlimySnake

With Death Stranding 2 and Horizon DLC being announced, we finally got a glimpse of what the top tier devs will be able to do with the PS5, free of restraints. Really excited to see more of those games. What you guys think?
DS2 looks mind blowing. Basically what I expected after the matrix. Funny after ten pages of back and forth in this thread about CG and photorealism.

The flying above the clouds in HFW looks absolutely insane. I wonder if its a cutscene or if we will actually be able to do it. Sadly the foliage is pretty much identical but they could still increase the speed of flying and give us some amazing flying battles up in the sky like avatar.

midnightAI

DS2 looks mind blowing. Basically what I expected after the matrix. Funny after ten pages of back and forth in this thread about CG and photorealism.

The flying above the clouds in HFW looks absolutely insane. I wonder if its a cutscene or if we will actually be able to do it. Sadly the foliage is pretty much identical but they could still increase the speed of flying and give us some amazing flying battles up in the sky like avatar.
Just curious, what do you think is wrong with the foliage in Horizon: Forbidden West?

Lethal01

It's got really nice character rendering, can't judge the actual environment rendering with all that motion blur and depth of field yet. Would be very happy if they managed to compete with the Matrix Demos dynamic GI, reflection and shadows but that's yet to be seen.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

It's got really nice character rendering, can't judge the actual environment rendering with all that motion blur and depth of field yet. Would be very happy if they managed to compete with the Matrix Demos dynamic GI, reflection and shadows but that's yet to be seen.
If it's next gen only, I think they will be fine in gameplay though yes, cutscenes will always look better. DS1 has some amazing lighting in the open world and I dont think it needs dynamic GI unless Kojima goes with a day and night cycle this time around.

dshiking.gif

ApprehensiveGrimHawk-size_restricted.gif

tumblr_psatevCphZ1s6ub5do3_500.gifv

midnightAI

This is what I expect from next gen foliage:

DuqGnnB.gif

HFW is the best we have right now but its not as good as it can be.

d38rRHl.jpg
Ah, so you arent saying Horizon's foliage is bad per-se, just that it could be better (this screengrab is from VERY high up though, at ground level the foliage is excellent, and if you go to the jungle area and fly above the trees there it isnt a million miles away from Avatar it just has more pop in. It's also to be seen if that Avatar footage really is in game as Ubisoft have a tendency to downgrade quite significantly)

alloush

The animation and lighting work during opening scene with fragile and baby were great! Also appears to have nanite quality geometry when she emerges from the cave. Sam's character rendering was underwhelming, but I'm sure this will be improved upon before release. Overall pretty good.
Yeah, the DS2 trailer was the only one that I thought was worthy of the next-gen tag. Though there are some people who are saying it isn't a step-up from DS1 but I never played the first one so cannot judge but based on the trailer DS2 does look better

SlimySnake

Watchu guys think?

Its weird that his character model didnt get a big improvement like Lea's.

tumblr_psatevCphZ1s6ub5do6_500.gifv

ezgif-5-405e520f47.gif

94d73fef3e06c677b5a3b8cc6403b7dc45bca026.gif

She looks straight up like those PS4 CG ads from last gen. Baby looked real too though she had an uncanny valley effect going on. Still best looking baby in a game ever.

It's odd that kojima didnt go with hair simulation. Both troy baker and norman reedus hair stand out as last gen. the baby has better hair animation though so maybe the game is still in early development?

Via my ResetEra sister thread… HFW: Burning Shores is using technology from the Rio 2011 animated movie.

“From this presentation of SIG-GRAPH 2022, The new Horizon Forbidden West DLC use Volume Data Fields(voxel cloud).

https://d3d3g8mu99pzk9.cloudfront.net/AndrewSchneider/NubisEvolved-1080p.pptx

From page 192, Andrew Schneider was working on cloud technology on the movie Rio in 2011. With some concession for realtime(quarter res. raymarching optimization and usage of temporal) it is using the same technology for the DLC than a 2011 offline rendering movie.”

Last edited:
Via my ResetEra sister thread… HFW: Burning Shores is using technology from the Rio 2011 animated movie.

“From this presentation of SIG-GRAPH 2022, The new Horizon Forbidden West DLC use Volume Data Fields(voxel cloud).

From page 192, Andrew Schneider was working on cloud technology on the movie Rio in 2011. With some concession for realtime(quarter res. raymarching optimization and usage of temporal) it is using the same technology for the DLC than a 2011 offline rendering movie.”
When I saw those clouds the first thing coming to my mind is that they could probably make that fake Killzone 2 trailer for real now 😅

GymWolf

Am the only one who gives zero fucks about cloid tech because you barely look at them unless you are a photomode whore?

With all the subpar shit on screen that deserve devs time, cloud shit must be one of the most useless.

GymWolf

But in that game you can fly. You're in the air. Looking at clouds.
Good point, i just barely used the bird thing because it was slow as fuck.

Also, clouds were already pretty much photorealistic in horizon 1 already unless you are one of those guys who moves the camera or zoom 400x to see the shortcomings.

do we really need much more than this when other graphical aspect are way behind in fidelity compared to the real thing, for 90% of hfw you don't really fly and downright zero flying in zero dawn.
ecd154835ca9748592aa653b8d15d515.gif

Clouds are already well made, time to put devs time on stuff that still looks bad like snow or sand compared to real snow and sand, there is barely any advancement in snow tech since horizon frozen wild.

At least they fixed the water from the first game.

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Good point, i just barely used the bird thing because it was slow as fuck.

The hope is that it will be faster in the DLC and it's part of the reason why they ditched the PS4.

Also, clouds were already pretty much photorealistic in horizon 1 already unless you are one of those guys who moves the camera or zoom 400x to see the shortcomings.

Agree, clouds look very realistic when you're on the ground. The challenge is to have realistic looking clouds when you're up in the air.

GymWolf

The hope is that it will be faster in the DLC and it's part of the reason why they ditched the PS4.

Agree, clouds look very realistic when you're on the ground. The challenge is to have realistic looking clouds when you're up in the air.
Curious to see if they can beat flight simulator cloud tech.

alloush

Nah, no big difference here.

Face still have that vaseline effect from low/medium res texture skin and shaders, and hairs still seem old gen.

Aloy's skin in HFW is in another league

horizon-forbidden-west-recensione-aloy-non-e-piu-sola-1644710677284.jpg
This. The faces in DS1/DS2 are too perfect and have that "vaseline" effect you are talking about. HFW has some amazing looking skin texture. Also as some others have mentioned the hair physics is way off it is making the entire model look weird and I still see uncanny valley big time as well.

Having said that, the trailer looked fire and I am sure it is still early in development we prolly won't see this before 2024.

alloush

I think it looks not too dissimilar to ds1 tbh.

The jump from horizon to horizon 2 was fairly bigger imo.
I think DS1 was pretty-looking honestly so DS2 being better-looking even not by much will mean the game will look good. Funny thing is I have HFW but haven't played it yet as I am still beating the first one so not sure how big of a jump HFW is over HZD.

GymWolf

I think DS1 was pretty-looking honestly so DS2 being better-looking even not by much will mean the game will look good. Funny thing is I have HFW but haven't played it yet as I am still beating the first one so not sure how big of a jump HFW is over HZD.
Do yourself a favour, let pass at least 6 months or more from horizon 1 to horizon 2 or you are gonna get 100% burned by the game.

Top Bottom