• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen

GymWolf

I played FW about a week later and was fine,but I really like the games
Dude, horizon 1 was my game of the past generation (so i doubt you liked it more than me) and i still firmly confirm my advice.

Yakuza 0 was one of my favourite game from past gen and when i played kiwami 2 not long after, i had to make a pause because i was burned with the formula.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Via my ResetEra sister thread… HFW: Burning Shores is using technology from the Rio 2011 animated movie.

“From this presentation of SIG-GRAPH 2022, The new Horizon Forbidden West DLC use Volume Data Fields(voxel cloud).

https://d3d3g8mu99pzk9.cloudfront.net/AndrewSchneider/NubisEvolved-1080p.pptx

From page 192, Andrew Schneider was working on cloud technology on the movie Rio in 2011. With some concession for realtime(quarter res. raymarching optimization and usage of temporal) it is using the same technology for the DLC than a 2011 offline rendering movie.”
You know it’s funny there they have to settle for quarter res for a ten tflops console because Tim Sweeney once said you needed 40 tflops to do photorealistic visuals.

alloush

Do yourself a favour, let pass at least 6 months or more from horizon 1 to horizon 2 or you are gonna get 100% burned by the game.
This is such a good advice, never thought of it that way. I need to resume HZD as I haven't touched that in a while too but afterwards I will hit GOW:R then HFW

alloush

You know it’s funny there they have to settle for quarter res for a ten tflops console because Tim Sweeney once said you needed 40 tflops to do photorealistic visuals.
There ya go: https://wccftech.com/sweeney-need-4...-environments-humans-require-computing-power/

I remember that like it was yesterday. I remember I had a convo with a colleague of mine about this and I was like "damn it'll be a while for us before we reach photorealism" and look at us today we are close on 10 and 12 tflops machines but what's more fascinating is I remember we said it'll be in like 2030 where we might get close to a 40 tflops machine and today we have like 80 tflops gpu's or something like that.

Last edited:

GymWolf

This is such a good advice, never thought of it that way. I need to resume HZD as I haven't touched that in a while too but afterwards I will hit GOW:R then HFW
I mean, if you only play AAA sure, but i would wash my mouth with something like an indie or something less "sony" instead of doing 3 sony games back to back to back, and i fucking love sony games (most of them).

alloush

I mean, if you only play AAA sure, but i would wash my mouth with something like an indie or something less "sony" instead of doing 3 sony games back to back to back, and i fucking love sony games (most of them).
I hear you. To be fair I play sports games more than anything else, been playing FIFA and eFootball a lot recently with the whole world cup craze going on right now, too. So I feel like playing a non-sports title but might play Stray in between those games mixed with some sports games while hammering the AAA stuff.

SlimySnake

i told people not to replay GOW before Ragnorak because it was going to feel too samey then they went ahead and did it anyway. Of course, they had a huge case of been there done that and Im like i fucking told you.

I think Horizon and GOW are different enough. Melee vs shooter, and a bow and arrow shooter at that. Of course, HFW and GOW are like the only two games ive played all year for more than a few hours so im one of those guys who can only play Sony games nowadays.

GymWolf

i told people not to replay GOW before Ragnorak because it was going to feel too samey then they went ahead and did it anyway. Of course, they had a huge case of been there done that and Im like i fucking told you.

I think Horizon and GOW are different enough. Melee vs shooter, and a bow and arrow shooter at that. Of course, HFW and GOW are like the only two games ive played all year for more than a few hours so im one of those guys who can only play Sony games nowadays.
I played like 20 hours of gow before ragnarock, still clocked 80+ hours on the bald bitch.

Have you played evil west? is pretty darn fun if you like gow combat mixed with bulletstorm.

Last edited:

GymWolf

I hear you. To be fair I play sports games more than anything else, been playing FIFA and eFootball a lot recently with the whole world cup craze going on right now, too. So I feel like playing a non-sports title but might play Stray in between those games mixed with some sports games while hammering the AAA stuff.
Sure, that's a good tactic, a boring cat walking simulator before some real ass games, it should wash your mouth enough :messenger_kissing_smiling:

CamHostage

Am the only one who gives zero fucks about cloid tech because you barely look at them unless you are a photomode whore?

With all the subpar shit on screen that deserve devs time, cloud shit must be one of the most useless.

Sorry to repeat what others said, but the new DLC Burning Shores will put more priority on flying, with what looks to be flight combat and areas perhaps only reachable through flight. Sunwing was sort of a novelty bonus to earn towards the end of H:FW, but H:FW:BS should actually do something with that element.

And if there's going to be a lot of flying, they're going to need some good clouds up there to fly through.

1fVgiZs.jpg

Like you said elsewhere, they "fixed" the water in H:FW, and part of the reason why they concentrated on water tech was so they could do things on and under the water. So, sort of the same thing now with developing what's possible in the air.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Am the only one who gives zero fucks about cloid tech because you barely look at them unless you are a photomode whore?

With all the subpar shit on screen that deserve devs time, cloud shit must be one of the most useless.
Typically id agree but if the trailer is any indication, you would literally be flying through the clouds this time around. they arent just salad dressing. they are part of the level.

I really hope this isnt yet another bs trailer like original Horizon FW reveal and we get some fast flying, some combat while flying and some big setpieces. i cant describe the disappointment i felt at the HFW finale where they had hundreds of dinobots and aliens square off against each other and then they couldnt make any of it playable. absolutely shameful stuff from an AAA first party studio.

CamHostage

I really hope this isnt yet another bs trailer like original Horizon FW reveal and we get some fast flying, some combat while flying and some big setpieces. i cant describe the disappointment i felt at the HFW finale where...

Man, not are you a cranky dude, but you're a spoiler sport...

But yeah, that looks generally in-engine from the cinematics system (though is all Horizon cutscenes realtime or do they do some CG?) and their clouds were already capable of a lot, so I would assume this is a flex they're capable of achieving.

SlimySnake

This one's for you SlimySnake SlimySnake

A couple of things. It says only on PlayStation. And the fine print says trademark is for ps4. No mention of ps5 in the fine print which is odd.

Secondly, if it is ps5 only, i really hope they are at least aiming for a death stranding 2 or Matrix quality leap in fidelity. If Its another ratchet situation which looks fairly last gen now especially when compared to the new Mario movie then they might as well be last gen. Seeing as how ratchet runs at native 4k 40-50 fps on the ps5, the ps4 could’ve run it at 900p if you take out the ssd stuff.

I really hope they push NPC simulations, those fast ssd traversal speeds we saw in demos, and ds2 quality character models. If it’s more of the same then they will be sidelined like gow was for the big two awards this year. They need to set standards and push boundaries to stand out.

Msamy

What guriella currently doing with decima is amazing those hfw dlc and ds2 trailers are What I expected from next gen consoles, ps4 are holding them in hfw , I think the hfw dlc will look more impressive than the original game

alloush

A couple of things. It says only on PlayStation. And the fine print says trademark is for ps4. No mention of ps5 in the fine print which is odd.

Secondly, if it is ps5 only, i really hope they are at least aiming for a death stranding 2 or Matrix quality leap in fidelity. If Its another ratchet situation which looks fairly last gen now especially when compared to the new Mario movie then they might as well be last gen. Seeing as how ratchet runs at native 4k 40-50 fps on the ps5, the ps4 could’ve run it at 900p if you take out the ssd stuff.

I really hope they push NPC simulations, those fast ssd traversal speeds we saw in demos, and ds2 quality character models. If it’s more of the same then they will be sidelined like gow was for the big two awards this year. They need to set standards and push boundaries to stand out.
I agree with everything you said honestly. I expect this game to look even better than DS2 since this is Insomniac who are one of the most talented studios out there. Ratchet looked hella good and turned heads when it released two years ago and, I expect SM2 to look even better and give us this WOW factor that we have been waiting for and if it is a PS5 only game then I expect that.

Having said that, I really liked the trailer and if I wanna go by it this game will look fire. Not long left now to know more I feel.

SaintALia

Not really interested in stuff looking heavily realistic tbh. If we can get a Final Fantasy game that looks exactly like Amano's artwork, I'd be set. I don't really care how realistic a rock or hunk of metal looks.

I'd also rather developers focus more on interactions. Wind blowing still looks weird after all these years. It never seems to follow a proper wind blowing model and we still have 'seisure trees and plants'. We still also have ultra-realistic puddle reflections in mud, but we don't actually get to distort and warp that puddle and mud, except for certain AAA games and games built around that interaction. Physics interactions seem to be a hit or miss as well.

I think the videogame industry is still far too focused on how something will look superficially good, and not how it will look when gamers start interacting with their environments. But maybe I haven't been playing the right games.

alloush

Not really interested in stuff looking heavily realistic tbh. If we can get a Final Fantasy game that looks exactly like Amano's artwork, I'd be set. I don't really care how realistic a rock or hunk of metal looks.

I'd also rather developers focus more on interactions. Wind blowing still looks weird after all these years. It never seems to follow a proper wind blowing model and we still have 'seisure trees and plants'. We still also have ultra-realistic puddle reflections in mud, but we don't actually get to distort and warp that puddle and mud, except for certain AAA games and games built around that interaction. Physics interactions seem to be a hit or miss as well.

I think the videogame industry is still far too focused on how something will look superficially good, and not how it will look when gamers start interacting with their environments. But maybe I haven't been playing the right games.
I agree with you on the part where devs def need to focus on physics, AI, animations (this one in particular is my favorite), simulation, interacting with the world, different level and mission designs and mechanics etc.

Having said that, I am also a graphics wh*re and I like games to look beautiful and realistic, they might not be top top priority for me ahead of the likes of animations, AI, and physics but they are still a priority and something I like!

Last edited:

Msamy

DS2 this, ND that

But take a look at this:

Credits to tommib tommib

To me, Callisto has the best models in the industry right now. By far.

Compare it to Norman's model in the trailer and its a generation apart

To Naughty Dog's models such as Joel and Ellie? Not even close

Say what you want about the game, but its undoubtly a looker

Actually the studio helped them to reach this was sony visual arts studio which also helped in ds2 and naughty in last of us, and also ds2 models looks better and not even close please go check the trailer again (maybe you watched it in 720 p to say that) .

Hugare

Actually the studio helped them to reach this was sony visual arts studio which also helped in ds2 and naughty in last of us, and also ds2 models looks better and not even close please go check the trailer again (maybe you watched it in 720 p to say that) .
Sony helping them or not doesnt change anything about the final result. To me, it's the best character rendering that I've seen yet.

And yes, I watched DS2 at 4K on my TV

The skin still looks like plastic and missing granular detail

Msamy

Sony helping them or not doesnt change anything about the final result. To me, it's the best character rendering that I've seen yet.

I don't agree with that , how in the hell the skin in ds2 looks worse than callisto? Go see norman face at the end of the trailer, skin subsurface scattering looks generational ahead than callisto models it's looks like cgi .

Last edited:

Lethal01

I also dfinitely prefer we go for stylization over realism, but if a game does aim for realism I very much want it to achieve it.

in the past even "realistic" games were so far from real that they were stlylized in their own way, but now we just get realistic enviroments... except all the stones got a weird ugly glow and the grass and half the objects don't cast a shadow.

solidus12

Yeah that DS2 trailer is looking mighty impressive.

I went back to HorizonForbidden West and I’m still blown away by the graphics. DS2 will be a step up, no doubt about that.
C7hZsRX.jpg

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

CP looks far better.

As far as best looking upcoming game..
I gotta go with The Lords of the Fallen it looks amazing!
Might take the best action|adventure|RPG graphics title from Demon's Souls PS5.

CP looks far better.

As far as best looking upcoming game..
I gotta go with The Lords of the Fallen it looks amazing!
Might take the best action|adventure|RPG graphics title from Demon's Souls PS5.
Yea I agree. But it might not be due to the model, but rather the skin texture and shader. Or maybe it's the ingame lighting (few light sources instead of daylight) that makes the face looks so natural in CP.
I sometimes had to do a double take to see if that face was real or rendered. Never had that in any Naughty Dog or Guerrilla title.

GymWolf

DS2 this, ND that

But take a look at this:

Credits to tommib tommib

To me, Callisto has the best models in the industry right now. By far.

Compare it to Norman's model in the trailer and its a generation apart

To Naughty Dog's models such as Joel and Ellie? Not even close

Say what you want about the game, but its undoubtly a looker

Yeah, the protagonist FACE is the only thing remotely nextgen in that game and probably the best face in a ingame model ever.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Yea I agree. But it might not be due to the model, but rather the skin texture and shader. Or maybe it's the ingame lighting (few light sources instead of daylight) that makes the face looks so natural in CP.
I sometimes had to do a double take to see if that face was real or rendered. Never had that in any Naughty Dog or Guerrilla title.
I can't even tell anymore when people make parody post in here...

I also dfinitely prefer we go for stylization over realism, but if a game does aim for realism I very much want it to achieve it.

in the past even "realistic" games were so far from real that they were stlylized in their own way, but now we just get realistic enviroments... except all the stones got a weird ugly glow and the grass and half the objects don't cast a shadow.
We always forget realism is pretty ugly, sure it maybe impressive from a technical perspective but I prefer stylised.

From PS3 to PS4 people saw improvement due to development moved from 32 bits to 64 bits, requirement for storage increased massively, DX12 and Vulkan Introduction, etc.

That is why there are many cross gen title, where as in 2014 mostly cross gen was over and Ps4 and PC was leading ,however, this gen still stuck with cross gen due there is less advancement, less change of Architecture and only feature of this gen is RT.

Last edited:

Hugare

We always forget realism is pretty ugly, sure it maybe impressive from a technical perspective but I prefer stylised.
IMO, when we finally reach realistic graphics that perfect mirrors our world we may have this discussion

Until then, no matter how realistic graphics are, they are still stylised in a way.

Matrix Awakens, Callisto models, Horizon models, Death Stranding 2, etc.

To be honest, I think that when we reach full realism with games, few games will look realistic. Like the David Cage ones, L.A. Noir and etc.

They will put realistic humans in fantastical worlds 'cause that would still be so much more fun and diverse than just rendering our reality

Traxtech

Was very impressed with Callisto, found myself taking photos way too often and even playing in 30 fps mode because the fidelity difference was too huge (albeit with some bfi trickery to lessen the judder on an oled panel m) imagine if it was a true next gen only game? Would look bonkers, and probably perform even worse haha

Last edited:

Germuso

Horizon is not as realistic as Ds and it's a bit overlooked for that, but it's fucking impressive, even de PS4 version looks better than most of Next Gen games.

Top Bottom