• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GRAVITY |OT| - From Director Alfonso Cuarón

jett

D-Member
I watched it again today with family. All loved it. Personally, I appreciated it even more. I'll be surprised if I see a movie I like better this year.

abuC

Would this movie be ok for a 5 year old? My nephew adores anything related to Space and if there's no cursing or graphic deaths I'd take him to see it.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Would this movie be ok for a 5 year old? My nephew adores anything related to Space and if there's no cursing or graphic deaths I'd take him to see it.
Without spoiling, I guess, it's probably not okay for a child to see this film unfortunately.

Kadayi

Banned
Yeah, this movie made me a 3D believer again. Avatar has finally been surpassed.

I think the key comes down to the director really exploiting the long shots so that you can take in the space, vs the quick edit approach you get with most movies. In Gravity you're always aware of where the actors are in relation to the action and events and that's what makes it so cohesive and easy to get absorbed in, where as with a normal 3D film whenever they cut, you always need to re-orientate yourself into the space of the new frame and it's jarring.

Atrophis

Holy shit.

I feel like the last person on the planet to see this. Took me two hours to get over it. I've been to space on a Monday evening. Incredible.

Man, I just saw this tonight and thought it was really awesome. Both unbelievably beautiful and tense.
Spoiler...
I felt like a scared little girl wanting to hug her Dad, when George Clooneys character re-appeared in the space pod. Ive rarely felt so relieved... and then heart broken, whilst watching a movie
Dr Ryan stone is the greatest space badass, since Ripley IMO.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
Loved the movie but I still can't understand how people actually like the "fetal" moment with Bullock. That was so cheesy and forced, that it made it single handedly the worst part of the movie.

inm8num2

The dialogue and Hollywood cheese hurt the movie. It was great to watch, one of the best of the year, but oh lord the dialogue...and Clooney...

On his dark alternate ending to Gravity:

We had an alternative ending in which after landing on Earth, Ryan will get back on her feet and as she’s walking away Matt Kovalski falls from the sky and crashes her to death. And then cut to black. Create scroll in silence.

LMAO! I'd still love to see that on film as an alternative ending just for the visual. can't wait to grab the 3D BluRay on Tuesday!

akaoni

Banned
I thought this film was pretty fucking terrible, unbelievable story, chain of events, characters you don't care for, dialogue, pathetic MC, Sandra Bullock, just 80 minutes of Hollywood trash. What film were people watching when they thought this was THAT good? It was a tech showcase and pretty much nothing else.

I thought this film was pretty fucking terrible, unbelievable story, chain of events, characters you don't care for, dialogue, pathetic MC, Sandra Bullock, just 80 minutes of Hollywood trash. What film were people watching when they thought this was THAT good? It was a tech showcase and pretty much nothing else.

Lol.

ummmmmmmmmm

NO.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
On his dark alternate ending to Gravity:

We had an alternative ending in which after landing on Earth, Ryan will get back on her feet and as she’s walking away Matt Kovalski falls from the sky and crashes her to death. And then cut to black. Create scroll in silence.

LMAO! I'd still love to see that on film as an alternative ending just for the visual. can't wait to grab the 3D BluRay on Tuesday!
WTF... I'm glad they didn't do that. :p

Raptor

I just saw this on bluray, I think without fear of sounding hyperbolic here but this movie is easily on my top 5 of favorite movies I have ever seen since I can remember.

What a marvelous movie, reaching perfection, IMO is perfect, in my eyes is perfect.

The last part I was goddamn crying at what I was experiencing, the music, the visuals, MY GOD!

Will buy this the first chance I get.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I get to watch this tonight on my brother's 10' hi def screen in his theater room, 7.1 surround, the works. Man I can't fucking wait, this movie was incredible.

I'll be buying it myself too for my 60" HDTV at home, but Gravity is the definition of a big screen movie if there ever was one.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
I just saw this on bluray, I think without fear of sounding hyperbolic here but this movie is easily on my top 5 of favorite movies I have ever seen since I can remember.

What a marvelous movie, reaching perfection, IMO is perfect, in my eyes is perfect.

The last part I was goddamn crying at what I was experiencing, the music, the visuals, MY GOD!

Will buy this the first chance I get.

I missed this on IMAX, so I hopefully the experience won't be diminished on Blu-ray.

G_Berry

Banned
Just finished watching this for the first time. I downloaded it in HD off the PSN store and watched it alone with my headphones on at 3:00AM.

Amazing. Absolutely amazing.

Never before have I been so engrossed in a film.

Luckily for me IMAX Melbourne is still screening this in 3D (just checked lol) and im going this weekend for sure.

What a film.

wmlk

Hmm, I fell for the hype. I guess I was expecting the RT score to be backed up by an equally impressive showing, but I didn't get that.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
I actually got a couple free rentals at the new movie service M-Go (yeah, you can too.... go to www.mgo.com and sign up for two free movie rentals if you haven't already) and rented it. I've seen a little bit of the beginning and it looks more exciting that I expected. Looking forward to watching this today or tomorrow. Worst case scenario is I'll waste about 2 hours of my time if it's not that good.

Darkmakaimura

Zzzzzzzzz.... zzzzzzz.... zzzzzzz.... zzzzzzz....

So, what happened? Oh nothing.... Zzzzzzz....

Forgettable and boring. I almost fell asleep. Tech showcase indeed.

Hmm, I fell for the hype. I guess I was expecting the RT score to be backed up by an equally impressive showing, but I didn't get that.
I could never understand the hype for something like this. This is why I don't trust hype for a lot things.

cajunator

Banned
Just finished the movie on bluray an hour ago.
it was a very beautiful looking movie but storywise very weak.
ultimately it fell through because of some very unbelievable events that occurred. Way too much plot convenience.
still a fun movie overall and worth your time.
But was it special? Not quite.

Zzzzzzzzz.... zzzzzzz.... zzzzzzz.... zzzzzzz....

So, what happened? Oh nothing.... Zzzzzzz....

Forgettable and boring. I almost fell asleep. Tech showcase indeed.

I could never understand the hype for something like this. This is why I don't trust hype for a lot things.

Lol this just goes to show how different people's opinions can be. I was so excited for this movie, and it ended up being better than I thought it would be. And now there are absolutely no movies whatsoever I'm looking forward to.

Darkmakaimura

Lol this just goes to show how different people's opinions can be. I was so excited for this movie, and it ended up being better than I thought it would be. And now there are absolutely no movies whatsoever I'm looking forward to.
Yeah, I knew my opinion on this movie is going to win me any friends. I honestly thought it was an abysmal movie and teaches me trust hype. On the other hand, I had little expectations going to watch Breaking Bad also due to hype and ended up becoming one of my favorite TV shows of all time and one of the rare cases I actually thought it was something that more than deserved the ranting and raving it received.

leng jai

Finally saw this last night after picking up the blu ray. Gorgeous gorgeous film even in 2D but the sound design was the highlight. It was interesting to have all the audio from Thomas' perspective which lead to some very immersive audio cues. The bass was insane the moments of complete silence captured the feeling of space quite well (not that I've ever been there).

As for the movie itself I quite enjoyed it as a drama. Was captivated pretty much from the first 5 minutes. I'm sure a lot of the movie was unrealistic but I really have very little understanding of the science to be able to tell exactly why. I IMDBed it and just end up reading posts arguing about physics.

Peru

"Story is weak" - it's just unbelievable that this has stuck as a complaint against this movie. It's a minimalist action movie, there's no story except the fight to survive one particular disaster in the void of space. It's beautiful in that way, it trusts its setting and actor that much. And in that focus it gains intensity and rawness that puts you on the edge of your seeat.

Also this series of events is not very likely to occur in space but it sure asks for less suspension of disbelief than 99% of action movies and its attention to detail in depicting space walks, the space station, though obviously not without its fictional innovations, adds to the thrill of seeing that shit blow up and get turned on its head.

sphinx

the piano man
nice to see this thread getting bumped. I just watched the film for the first time.

it is something special, and as someone who loves films about humans in space, this really was a nice treat. All oscar nominations and awards well deserved.

for some strange reason, (maybe music helped) in the very last scene before
the landing on the water, when the whole debris is almost burning and approaching/crossing the atmoshpere,
I almost felt like crying of excitement. It made me realize how strong is the Universe and how much energy there can be in the things that are out there.

Dunno, weird, is not a scene to cry tears of joy or anything.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
for some strange reason, (maybe music helped) in the very last scene before
the landing on the water, when the whole debris is almost burning and approaching/crossing the atmoshpere,
I almost felt like crying of excitement. It made me realize how strong is the Universe and how much energy there can be in the things that are out there.

That's my favorite scene in the entire movie. From the moment she decides to "go home" and to start living again, all the way until she stands up, that entire sequence just floors me every time I see it. I love how she is laughing with excitement at every moment, like a child who has woken up and sees an impossible challenge and just decides to meet it for better or worse. And when she is riding the station through the atmosphere, man the imagery of that scene is just awesome. And yeah, the breakup and burning up as she enters the atmosphere, and the music climax's along with it....

Yeah, the last ten minutes of the movie are my favorite.

Top Bottom