• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GRAVITY |OT| - From Director Alfonso Cuarón

Strax

My screening had alot of parents with 11-10 year old kids. I can't imagine that 11-10 year olds could enjoy this movie.

Just in case you guys were wondering, Orson Scott Card decided to give his non-review of Gravity:

That's right. I'm not going to see Gravity. Two reasons:

1. I don't wear 3D glasses. No movie is worth the headache.

2. The story sounds like 1950s print science fiction. Hollywood comes to an idea sixty years late, but they're so ignorant they think they've invented the wheel. Yeah, we get it, it's lonely out in space. Especially when you don't know the laws of physics ...

Another example of Card's exquisite taste in film and relevant finger on the cultural pulse.

Vesmir

Banned
Last night my GF and I had the opportunity to see this in IMAX with just us in the theater. I didn't think I could love this movie more, but here I am.

duckroll

That's right. I'm not going to see Ender's Game. Two reasons:

1. Orson Scott Card can blow me.

2. The trailer looks stupid.

Maybe I should get a blog too. :p

zma1013

Saw it over the weekend in Imax 3D, was awesome and disorienting. Like, I really felt a bit wobbly after standing up to leave the theater. That's what I call some effective use of 3D and space. Greatly impressed by the direction and special effects, and I don't easily get impressed by special effects anymore.

Also tried to do my part and spread the word to some of my friends. Two of them appear to be brushing it off with the thought, "How can it be good, it's just 2 people floating in space? It has to be boring." I did my best to convince them otherwise, but who knows.

Eidan

Just saw it yesterday. Probably one of the most visually stunning movies I've ever seen. And tense as all hell. Loved every second of it, and will try to watch again sometime this week.

Bullock and Clooney were great. The shrapnel could probably win an award as best villain of 2013.

Just saw it yesterday. Probably one of the most visually stunning movies I've ever seen. And tense as all hell. Loved every second of it, and will try to watch again sometime this week.

Bullock and Clooney were great. The shrapnel could probably win an award as best villain of 2013.

The what?

Edit: Great news! Jean-Pierre Jeunet's The Young and Prodigious T.S. Spivet is a huge BOMBA so Gravity will actually have an IMAX release in France (for one week only though)

Cheech

My screening had alot of parents with 11-10 year old kids. I can't imagine that 11-10 year olds could enjoy this movie.

My friend and I took our 10 year old boys to this movie. They loved it.

However, my kid also watches WW2 stuff on the History channel, so he's a bit unusual. My wife and I joke he's a 70 year old man trapped in a 10 year old body.

Fireblend

Banned
Saw it yesterday. Unfortunately they weren't showing it on an IMAX screen; I really hope they'll show it eventually so I can see it again because I feel like it's just begging for a bigger screen.

Anyway, I'd say it's more of a rollercoaster ride than a movie, specially with how the tension is handled; I wouldn't be surprised if Cuaron came out and said he'd toyed with the idea of making this 100% first person from the perspective of Stone. It definitely feels more like an on-rails ride than a story I would read in a book or something, but it works. It's hard to explain. I adored the soundtrack and the visual effects; some of the sequences in the last half hour had me absolutely enthralled. Such a great movie.

Also, Gravity for Oculus Rift. I hope it happens. Regardless, I really liked the movie, although I think Children of Men will remain my favorite Cuaron movie for now. But then again CoM's like my favorite movie ever so it's an unfair comparison.

Fabrik

Banned
Just saw it. The movie was absolutely perfect. Masterful camera work, fantastic visual effects, tense action sequences, they nailed the human element, everything was handed subtly. Bravo Alfonso Cùaron. With this movie, he enters my list of directors to follow with Nolan and Cameron.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Just in case you guys were wondering, Orson Scott Card decided to give his non-review of Gravity:

Another example of Card's exquisite taste in film and relevant finger on the cultural pulse.

I'm pretty glad I don't know who this guy is.

$300m worldwide today.

The space survival film starring Sandra Bullock and George Clooney will cross the $300 million mark at the worldwide box office Wednesday, according to Warner Bros.
The Alfonso Cuaron–directed film has been No. 1 at the global box office for the past three weeks, doing especially big business in 3D and Imax. This milestone puts the film in the top 20 highest grossing films of the year worldwide.

The top foreign markets include Russia ($14.3 million), Australia ($11.9 million) and Germany ($11.3 million). And the film has yet to open in several major foreign markets; it will hit theaters in the U.K. on Nov. 8, China on Nov. 20 and Japan on Dec. 13.

Jimrpg

This is probably answered to death but I don't really want to trawl through the thread for fear of spoilers. But should I 2D or 3D?

I normally 3D movies but is there any point for this one?

Jimrpg

oh sweet 3D tomorrow it is then...

i barely know anything about this movie so I'm excited - i've avoided all the reviews except for that one 1min trailer from six months ago :)

Peru

Saw some debate about this before seeing the movie today, but there's not much to say here: It's a simple idea performed very, very well. Craft as art. Great, tense action throughout. I've said it many times before but it's always great to see directors who dare to keep their story and films simple conceptually. One idea pulled off. It was great to not see any scenes from Houston. Didn't see it in 3d and don't want to but would like to see it on an Imax screen once.

Jimrpg

Speechless at how good this movie is. Wouldn't hesitate to give it 10 out of 10. Generally how much I like the movie is on how well it is executed and it was executed to perfection.

I love survivor, cast away, space, wonders of the universe and wonders of the solar system so no surprise I loved this so much...

Going back to play Kerbal Space Program now :)

This and Pacific Rim has really made this year great... looking forward to captain phillips next week.

I've just watched Gravity in IMAX. What a disappointment. While it's a nice technical achievement, it is ruined by a story that had nothing to say and ham-fisted sentimentality:

A manipulative score that told you exactly when you were supposed to cheer or cry, close-ups on a 3D tear, a family picture, Bullock's feet (in case you didn't know the movie was about gravity), lame symbolism (religious icons, the in-your-face fetal position shot, Mother Bullock being reborn as she rises out of the womb/water), long, melodramatic exposition about Bullock's dead child as her source of motivation or despair, etc.

The first 15 minutes are amazing and it's the only part I will remember. After that it gets extremely redundant. The amount of catastrophes Bullock gets through becomes almost comical. Not everybody can be James Cameron.

mellz

Zzzz this movie had nothing besides visuals. Boring and flat characters which I really couldn't care about, story line was predictable. 4/10

Like the posters above. This was so over hyped. Moon was by far and i mean way by far better movie then this. This had great visual effects i guess but i do not care for those.

Watched in Imax 3d by the way and again i can say that I really do not get 3D at all. :( very few moments or movie gave me 3d effects. even avatar did not do it for me so i guess i am 3d less.

I cannot believe the last 3 posts. There is no accounting for taste I guess.

I just saw it today at a true IMAX in 3D.... OH MY GOD! This film lives up to all the hype and then some. Best cinematic experience in 10 years. The only other movie I could compare the visceral physical reaction I had to Gravity would be United 93. I feel like I need to watch this movie again. It was absolutely phenomenal. The Oscar for best Director is absolutely wrapped up in my mind. I can't even imagine another film coming close to this. If you haven't seen it in IMAX 3D you are doing yourself a horrible disservice.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Just got back. Loved every minute of it.. The story was pretty thin and implausible but the visuals and acting we're enough to stand on. Bullock looked like a goddess.

breakfuss

...MEH. Finally watched it last night. Fantastic cinematography and opening. Especially loved the fetal position scene. Otherwise, I'm not so sure why everyone is losing their shit over this. Felt kinda hollow (i know, i know...it's "space"). Even the 3d didn't blow me away. Guess I just wasn't in the mood to see this sort of thing. Apollo 13.5. ...without the narrative. Oooook?? A GOOD movie, but it definitely ranks beneath Children of Men.

jambo

...MEH. Finally watched it last night. Fantastic cinematography and opening. Especially loved the fetal position scene. Otherwise, I'm not so sure why everyone is losing their shit over this. Felt kinda hollow (i know, i know...it's "space"). Even the 3d didn't blow me away. Guess I just wasn't in the mood to see this sort of thing. Apollo 13.5. ...without the narrative. Oooook?? A GOOD movie, but it definitely ranks beneath Children of Men.

The thing I loved about it was how relentless it was. I never felt relaxed whilst watching the movie.

Yeah I know where you're coming from. I think this was made with the mass market in mind more so than CoM though.

javac

My IMAX cinema is showing this starting on the 15th onwards but it says (not in IMAX format) which is a strange. It's a true IMAX cinema.

Still worth it? The price is same as my normal cinema pretty much. IMAX movies usually cost a lot more.

zma1013

My IMAX cinema is showing this starting on the 15th onwards but it says (not in IMAX format) which is a strange. It's a true IMAX cinema.

Still worth it? The price is same as my normal cinema pretty much. IMAX movies usually cost a lot more.

It probably just means to say that the film isn't filmed in IMAX, that would be my guess, but ask them to make sure. It still looks glorious on IMAX despite being a normal film.

javac

It probably just means to say that the film isn't filmed in IMAX, that would be my guess, but ask them to make sure. It still looks glorious on IMAX despite being a normal film.

Ahh for a second I thought this was filmed in IMAX. It normally would say DMR. That makes perfect sense. The screen is huge and the sound quality is phenomenal. Thanks for the info, was wanting to watch this in IMAX and this is prefect. The IMAX cinema is only 15 mins from my house too!

Saw it in Lincoln Square IMAX last night, one of the world's biggest screens. It was my third and a pretty incredible experience. Most of my narrative problems went away and was just washed over by the visuals. Glad I got to see it before it left.

BioHazard

Saw it in Lincoln Square IMAX last night, one of the world's biggest screens. It was my third and a pretty incredible experience. Most of my narrative problems went away and was just washed over by the visuals. Glad I got to see it before it left.

haha I was there too! 7PM by any chance?

firehawk12

Subete no aware

Watch it in IMAX for the brighter projection, if nothing else.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
would have been nice if they included a plot and characterization.
Naw, I'm convinced that would detract from it as a cinematic experience. Part of the kinematics of the film depends on it not really settling into any scene for too long.
I am still hoping for a silent track on the eventual BD release!

tensuke

I ended up seeing Gravity, Ender's Game, and Escape Plan (Stallone & Schwarzenegger movie) yesterday. This couple brought their young kid to Escape Plan, probably 4-5 years old, and they sat right behind us so I could hear him asking them random questions during the movie. Not really an appropriate film for that age...

Gravity was really good though. All 3 were different kinds of movies, but I still think I'd say Gravity was my favorite of the 3. The desolation of space, the moving soundtrack, the constant suspense, the tugging of heartstrings...Everything came together really well I thought. 3D didn't feel shoehorned in, in fact, I didn't really notice the 3D, it all just felt very natural. Great movie.

anaron

What an experience. There's a special satisfaction when something meets up to expectation and Gravity did that and more. That finale...

<3 u Alfonso

Top Bottom