• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gravity Rush 2 Japanese release date to be announced on July 19

Moskalova

Cmv7FDcXEAAJ1DW.jpg

Sony Interactive Entertainment Japan Asia will announce the Japanese release date for Gravity Rush 2 during a presentation event on July 19, the company announced.

The event will be held at Ebisu Act Square on July 19 from 14:30 to 15:30 JST, and feature Sony Interactive Entertainment Japan Asia Atsushi Morita, Gravity Rush series director Keiichiro Toyama, and Gravity Rush series composer Kohei Tanaka.

Gematsu

DKHF

Cool I'm curious what month it will be in...

October (at least for the JP release) I guess.

wapplew

Gravitate toward December on this one.
Hopefully Asia version come with English/Chinese like the first one, so you all can import if SIEA fuck up the release somehow.

wispsmoke

Neo Member
So pumped up. Hopefully they're sticking with the fictitious French-accented Japanese syllables from the first one so that we don't have split audio between JP and NA releases. I'm still sore that Persona 5 isn't releasing with dual audio/subtitles, so I really don't want to see Sony fucking up Gravity Rush, too.

zxcv11223300xi

Neo Member
I will import if they don't release the game here this year. Understandable in any case, the game will be dead on arrival if they release it in the last 3 months of the year.

I will import Chinese version. This version might has same released date as Japanese version.

Yeah, GR2 western release date will probably get a PSBlog post update shortly after this event.

Companies still do these things regionally.

Famassu

Plz be something like January/February 2017 outside Japan. This fall is just too filled to brim with potentially must get games, not to even mention I have several games that have come out & will come out in the few months before Fall that I still have to get (Uncharted 4, Mirror's Edge 2, Star Ocean 5, I Am Setsuna etc.). Have some mercy on a (currently) poor man's wallet. ;__;

Zedark

Plz be something like January/February 2017 outside Japan. This fall is just too filled to brim with potentially must get games, not to even mention I have several games that have come out & will come out in the few months before Fall that I still have to get (Uncharted 4, Mirror's Edge 2, Star Ocean 5, I Am Setsuna etc.). Have some mercy on a (currently) poor man's wallet. ;__;

Seems reasonable, but early 2017 isn't much better: Tales of Berseria, Nier:Automata, Yakuza 0, Persona 5, Horizon Zero Dawn.

Edit: And Resident EVII: Bioha7ard (works better in the logo)

Gravitate toward December on this one.
Hopefully Asia version come with English/Chinese like the first one, so you all can import if SIEA fuck up the release somehow.

Nice.

Watch them bury this game by releasing it on the same days as like The Last Guardian or Kingdom Hearts 2.8 (whenever that comes out).

And I agree with people saying February release for the US. It'd be suicide to release it during the holiday season and GR Remastered seemed to do OK in the February slot. I mean, it was never going to be a million seller, but it got some decent exposure being released during a slow month.

wapplew

Nice.

Watch them bury this game by releasing it on the same days as like The Last Guardian or Kingdom Hearts 2.8 (whenever that comes out).

And I agree with people saying February release for the US. It'd be suicide to release it during the holiday season and GR Remastered seemed to do OK in the February slot. I mean, it was never going to be a million seller, but it got some decent exposure being released during a slow month.

Go check Feb 2017 release calendar, December is much better option.

delSai

Cant wait. Running around in the beautiful open world with fantastic music playing should be a good time.

Seems reasonable, but early 2017 isn't much better: Tales of Berseria, Nier:Automata, Yakuza 0, Persona 5, Horizon Zero Dawn.

Exactly. Late 16/Early 17 would both be full of games. GR2 will have a hard time releasing in those months, at least in the west.
December might work.

Nice.

Nothing "slow" about February next year.

December is the better slot.

Zedark

Exactly. Late 16/Early 17 would both be full of games. GR2 will have a hard time releasing in those months, at least in the west.
December might work.

I would say that for Japan, a December release gives it more than enough breathing room from other high profile Japanese games (except KH2.8). In the West, both early 2017 and late 2016 are stacked, so I wouldn't be surprised to see it in april or later, just to get it out of the way of the big Q1 games and Japanese high profile localisations.

Shin-chan

The game isn't going to be marketed and will bomb in the US regardless, so I'm not sure a strategic release date is relevant at this point. it might fair better in Europe, relatively speaking, but I doubt it.

Sony never really put the effort into exposing the game as a true ps4 franchise in the US so from a mindshare perspective it still feels like a Vita one. Which is a shame. I hope that I am pleasantly surprised later this year.

Ferr986

I would say that for Japan, a December release gives it more than enough breathing room from other high profile Japanese games (except KH2.8). In the West, both early 2017 and late 2016 are stacked, so I wouldn't be surprised to see it in april or later, just to get it out of the way of the big Q1 games and Japanese high profile localisations.

Then people will just import the Asia version. The public for this game is already niche enough. Game is not going to sell big numbers no matter what month it releases (sadly).

This :

Q1 is arguably more packed than Q4 this year. Things are pretty ridiculous so it makes little difference unless they release it next summer and that would mean a huge delay.

Zedark

Then people will just import the Asia version. The public for this game is already niche enough. Game is not going to sell big numbers no matter what month it releases (sadly).

Good point, didn't think about that. In that case, December is probably best, as it will have a little less 'distractions' for JRPG fans than early 2017.

Moskalova

The game isn't going to be marketed and will bomb in the US regardless, so I'm not sure a strategic release date is relevant at this point. it might fair better in Europe, relatively speaking, but I doubt it.

Sony never really put the effort into exposing the game as a true ps4 franchise in the US so from a mindshare perspective it still feels like a Vita one. Which is a shame. I hope that I am pleasantly surprised later this year.

Yeah, about the bolded...

https://twitter.com/YasuhiroKitao/status/744909602349690880

I partially blame [hyperbolel] all of us [/hyperbole] for this.

I called this last year when the signs were clear (SIEA were initially planning a digital-only release of GR: Remastered) that Sony America didn't care to elevate this franchise, but my efforts for a rally were met with a collective shrug & "why bother."

The best way to prove large corporations wrong are with hard numbers, and if I look at every hard number related to the Gravity Rush franchise (YT views, trailer view count, etc), I've seen nothing that would make Sony turn their attention to suddenly change their mind unlike what happened with Demons Souls.

Will never understand the point in making a game if you have no intention of giving it any type of chance to be successful. I thought Sony was done sending games to die, but Gravity Rush 2 tells a different story. Until Dawn managed to be successful wth little to no push so maybe it has a chance, but I doubt it.

wapplew

Well, I can't remember when was the last time a Japan studio title selling well on NA. Can't blame SIEA for reading the market correctly.
Let hope SIEE acknowledge GR2 on gamescom/Paris/PSXEU. Japan and Asia will make it worthwhile.

I'll take your word on that. I honestly have no idea what's coming out in February 2017, I don't keep track of distant release dates any more because they get moved around so much, but I know Februaries are usually kind of slow.

'February next year' is the new 'Holiday this year' now that delays have become the norm. December 2016 is actually pretty sparse.

Will never understand the point in making a game if you have no intention of giving it any type of chance to be successful. I thought Sony was done sending games to die, but Gravity Rush 2 tells a different story. Until Dawn managed to be successful wth little to no push so maybe it has a chance, but I doubt it.

Because publishing arm =/= sales & marketing arm.

And this is even further confounded if you take into account the regional business division set-up.

Put it this way. If Sony America's sales & marketing division had any say whatsoever in the games being developed in WWS, games like Tomorrow Children, Gravity Rush 2, Demons Souls, Mister Mosquito would never have existed in the first place. But because there are some level of separation between those things, we get those games...

At the cost of the sales/marketing division of the company not giving a fuck about the games that is put out by the publishing arm.

Well, I can't remember when was the last time a Japan studio title selling well on NA. Can't blame SIEA for reading the market correctly.
Let hope SIEE acknowledge GR2 on gamescom/Paris/PSXEU. Japan and Asia will make it worthwhile.
Last year with Bloodborne

Japan Studio was supposed make a comeback this generation after the guy from Santa Monica took over. The success of Last Guardian and Gravity Rush 2 will be a good test of how far they have come.

Yeah I'm not giving them too much credit for that one. That is mostly From Software.

It was probably Demon Souls... and we all know what happened there.

Honestly, for all the outcry there was whenever it was MIA, I'm not expecting TLG to do that well, either.

Fuck, how did I forget about Bloodborne? >.>

Shin-chan

Japan Studio was supposed make a comeback this generation after the guy from Santa Monica took over. The success of Last Guardian and Gravity Rush 2 will be a good test of how far they have come.

Yeah I'm not giving them too much credit for that one.
I think quantity and scale wise we can already see that they have. We have The Last Guardian and this releasing this year - that's probably the biggest home console input the studio has had in a decade. I can't even think of any large scale retail title they had last gen (stuff like White Knight Chronicles is more of a level 5 effort, and BB is more From).

I really hope Sony at least gets the anime dubbed and airing in the west or however these things work (I'm not huge into anime). I think the series would go over well with that audience if they do, purely on charm and personality (esp if they have some focus on the slice of life elements of the games).

wapplew

That's more like a Fromsoft game but I give you that.
I too hope Japan studio get some marketing love from SIEA, lets not bring down the good vibe of GR2 with that.

I really hope Sony at least gets the anime dubbed and airing in the west or however these things work (I'm not huge into anime). I think the series would go over well with that audience if they do, purely on charm and personality (esp if they have some focus on the slice of life elements of the games).

Anime might keep the gibberish, a sub should be enough.

I think quantity and scale wise we can already see that they have. We have The Last Guardian and this releasing this year - that's probably the biggest home console input the studio has had in a decade. I can't even think of any large scale retail title they had last gen (stuff like White Knight Chronicles is more of a level 5 effort, and BB is more From).

They've actually released a lot of great, smaller scale games in recent years too, like Rain, Puppeteer, Hot Shots Gold: World Invitational, Tokyo Jungle and Soul Sacrifice, but sadly none of them sold very well.

Shin-chan

That's more like a Fromsoft game but I give you that.
I too hope Japan studio get some marketing love from SIEA, lets not bring down the good vibe of GR2 with that.

Anime might keep the gibberish, a sub should be enough.
It would be an interesting decision to keep that for the show. Is it supposed to be a TV thing or is it just going to be like a YouTube series? I hope it's good because I'm pretty excited for any more GR media.

Top Bottom