• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gravity Rush 2 - You're going to buy it, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LotusHD

Banned
Are we encouraging pre-ordering now? Wait for reviews just like you should do for any other game out there. Even if you are confident you want it, there's zero reason to pay upfront for a game no one can be sure how is gonna turn out. I thought Gaffers understood this. Being unique shouldn't automatically warrant a purchase.

Just saying.

I mean, you do you, let others do them. I even said it doesn't matter if someone does that, gets it Day 1, wait for reviews, etc.

And anyhow, the debate actually comes off as being pretty moot concerning this particular game seeing as how we get reviews starting on the 10th, no? So regardless of how people feel, they're getting informed. :p

Even though Im currently playing my review copy Im kinda excited too see how it scores overall. Played the first one on my Vita with no expectations, but I heavily enjoyed it.

That sounds promising haha

A little off topic, but guys, make this a success. Not only do I love Gravity Rush and want it to stick around, I wouldn't mind Sony seeing a success here as a reason to consider putting some resources towards freedom wars Ps4 and trying their luck with with that too. All of vita's fallen soldiers deserve a chance.

BlondeTuna

I like the art direction of the game, but did not like the gravity controls whatsoever. I'll watch this closely to see GAFs impressions, but the demo put me in the "no buy" category.

I played the first game on the Vita and I enjoyed it at the time, despite its flaws. Playing it again on the PS4 however has been a different story, for a Vita game I was impressed with the open world environment, pleasant aesthetic and interesting use of the Vita's features, on PS4 however none of that is present and the games flaws are laid bare.

The combat isn't very good.
The narrative isn't very good.
The world is empty.

To some extent I'm still charmed by the game. I like Kat and therefore I want to like the game and series, but the gameplay just isn't especially remarkable. Combat is brain dead, and the movement systems aren't especially interesting after playing around with them for a short while. As I say, the city itself is barren with nothing to do beyond the main quest and some arbitrary side missions (that do not relate to a narrative).

Making matters worse, many of the mechanics feel off or janky. There are plenty of gravity manipulation missions using props that just feel awkward. I remember one where I had to get a bomb from a bin to prevent it from detonating in a certain area. I was fighting the camera the entire time, trying to drag these items out of this skip. I couldn't select what I wanted to pick up, or guarantee where it would go when I threw it, it was irritating and reflected the poor gameplay design of this particular mechanic.

Combat is little better, aim at the enemy and mash the attack button until you win. You can dodge if it pleased you, for most enemies relentless aggression is all that's required. You can upgrade your health and just tank the damage that even bosses dish out, and still win the encounter. It makes the game dull and feels as though they eschewed difficulty due to fears that it would expose the games relatively poorly considered mechanics.

At the same time. I still like the game, I like Kat, and I like the universe. I think the writing is quite poor but the world and its characters are interesting. The gameplay is poorly considered at a mechanical level, but moving around is still entertaining and despite the absence of difficulty I still manage to enjoy myself to a degree, merely by moving around the world. With that said, it's a shame it's not a better game. The series is difficult for me to recommend.

This is very close to my thoughts on the game.
I'm actually of the thought that the first half of the game was stronger because you had to actually manage your gravity meter, the collection of stray gems dotted around the world (the only real reason to actually look around unfortunately) worked better to collect at the lower levels of stat boosting and you had the more direct focused linear areas more frequently as part of the games plot progression.

The game dives off a cliff for me around the same time you dive off from Hekesville down the world pillar.

I probably would've still gone for 2 on launch had it come out in December but the January release is fighting for my attention against Yakuza 0 and maybe Tales of apparently actually good Berseria.

Alas the demo for GR2 didn't give off the impression that much had changed, all that said I'm sure it'll be the stronger title of the pair.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Wasn't that big a fan of the first one so I don't see myself picking this one up until it's heavily discounted. Especially since it's coming out so close to other games I'd rather give my attention to.

LotusHD

Banned
Get back to me early next week. =)

Will do!

A little off topic, but guys, make this a success. Bit only do I love Gravity Rush and want it to stick around, I wouldn't mind Sony seeing a success here as a reason to consider putting some resources towards freedom wars Ps4 and trying their luck with with that too. All of vita's fallen soldiers deserve a chance.

Well, here's to hoping.

I like the art direction of the game, but did not like the gravity controls whatsoever. I'll watch this closely to see GAFs impressions, but the demo put me in the "no buy" category.

Hmm, well if you didn't like the gravity controls, it feels hard to imagine you suddenly being swayed by the impressions of others. Did you take off motion control and such? Well anyways, once the game is out, someone can probably list for you the full extent of what you can customize to your liking.

Lime

Japanese UIs have been really impressive recently. Every other release has a UI that I want to give the designer a promotion.

And yeah, day one.

The UI is pretty simple and imo bad with how much it is taking up so much of the screen and standard health and energy bars.

RK128

I'm going to be real for a moment and say I held resentment for GR2 skipping Vita longer then I had the right to. I was annoyed and angry that the sequel is missing the system I own but.....I kept an eye on the game.

Now, while I'm not super excited for it, I will give GR2 a chance once I get a PS4 in the future. It does look beautiful and I hope the PS4 hardware will help the game become an even better experience.

While I honestly don't expect it to do well (all the Vita remasters for PS4 sold WORSE than the original Vita releases and Sony sure isn't marketing the game) sales wise, I do expect it to be a critical darling and hopefully become a GOTY nominee.

If Q1 and Q2 weren't so packed, I would be getting this day 1 but sadly, I'm probably gonna have to wait until the summer to pick up and play this game. Will definitely be getting it though, really enjoyed the demo and just how lovely the world and it's aesthetics are.

Luigi87

Absolutely I will buy it.

665804.jpg

This has been my desktop wallpaper since the game was originally announced years ago, when it was still using Vita assets.

Hell yeah, i've been asking for a sequel since the first game came out. So happy we're finally getting this! The demo only made the wait harder though. Been working on a GR2 diamond painting thingy to make the wait a bit easier.

ironmang

Are we encouraging pre-ordering now? Wait for reviews just like you should do for any other game out there. Even if you are confident you want it, there's zero reason to pay upfront for a game no one can be sure how is gonna turn out. I thought Gaffers understood this. Being unique shouldn't automatically warrant a purchase.

Just saying.

There are plenty of times it's better to preorder. Especially if you're buying physical where it's 100% upside since you can just return it before opening if you change your mind for whatever reason.

Just saying.
Don't be so Salty Hippo.

Just saying.
Most reviews come out before game launches. It is a non-issue.

Edit - I'm speaking as an Amazon buyer.

Lucentto

Banned
I played the first game on the Vita and I enjoyed it at the time, despite its flaws. Playing it again on the PS4 however has been a different story, for a Vita game I was impressed with the open world environment, pleasant aesthetic and interesting use of the Vita's features, on PS4 however none of that is present and the games flaws are laid bare.

The world is empty.

To some extent I'm still charmed by the game. I like Kat and therefore I want to like the game and series, but the gameplay just isn't especially remarkable. Combat is brain dead, and the movement systems aren't especially interesting after playing around with them for a short while. As I say, the city itself is barren with nothing to do beyond the main quest and some arbitrary side missions (that do not relate to a narrative).

Making matters worse, many of the mechanics feel off or janky. There are plenty of gravity manipulation missions using props that just feel awkward. I remember one where I had to get a bomb from a bin to prevent it from detonating in a certain area. I was fighting the camera the entire time, trying to drag these items out of this skip. I couldn't select what I wanted to pick up, or guarantee where it would go when I threw it, it was irritating and reflected the poor gameplay design of this particular mechanic.

Combat is little better, aim at the enemy and mash the attack button until you win. You can dodge if it pleased you, for most enemies relentless aggression is all that's required. You can upgrade your health and just tank the damage that even bosses dish out, and still win the encounter. It makes the game dull and feels as though they eschewed difficulty due to fears that it would expose the games relatively poorly considered mechanics.

At the same time. I still like the game, I like Kat, and I like the universe. I think the writing is quite poor but the world and its characters are interesting. The gameplay is poorly considered at a mechanical level, but moving around is still entertaining and despite the absence of difficulty I still manage to enjoy myself to a degree, merely by moving around the world. With that said, it's a shame it's not a better game. The series is difficult for me to recommend.

Pretty much how I feel. I like Kat, but I don't really like the game she is in that much. I played the GR2 demo several times. While it is much improved from the first game, it still largely feels the same even with the additions. Also considering that this game is releasing in a month with 4 other interesting games, makes it a hard sell.

Despera

Banned
Gravity Rush is one of those games that I want to like, but every time I see gameplay of I just go meh.

It just doesn't look that fun to me, and all the charm it has isn't enough to offset that fact.

Yeah, the demo sold me on it. World and traversal looked fun, but the story and characters also seem charming, which pushed me over the edge.

It seriously can't be stated enough how great of a protagonist Kat is. She's just such a great character and a breath of fresh air amidst all the gloomy and stoic protagonists out there. In a way playing with her kind of reminds me why I started playing video games to begin with - to have fun. And despite all the crap she goes through, Kat has fun throughout her journey just like any other person.

It seriously can't be stated enough how great of a protagonist Kat is. She's just such a great character and a breath of fresh air amidst all the gloomy and stoic protagonists out there. In a way playing with her kind of reminds me why I started playing video games to begin with - to have fun. And despite all the crap she goes through, Kat has fun throughout her journey just like any other person.
Yeah I was pleasantly surprised how great she was. I was not expecting that tbh.

The world is empty.

Yeah, this is basically how I feel about the game after sitting on it. As I posted earlier in the thread, I was charmed by it back when it launched on Vita due to the novelty of it being the freshest and most unique handheld game Sony first party have produced in a while, but the mechanics aren't all that great. I still wish for a game with the sort of playfulness and depth of Super Mario 64. To be good at that game you had to master its controls and experiment. Gravity Rush has some degree of depth to its control systems but the ceiling is far lower and you can't create meaningful fun for yourself just messing around in the game world as you can in Mario 64.

Ladekabel

I will buy it if it is in the bargain bin.

After the novelty of flying through the city wore off, the game is very mediocre. Was kinda thankful that I got it through PS+ instead of buying it like initially planned.

Chase17

I thought that Gravity Rush would be a game I liked a lot, but I've tried to play the first game twice, and ended up dropping it both times. I just don't think the game is very good. That said though, I may try and pick this up down the line and give the series another go, but at its release there are a lot of other games that I'll give priority to.

However, music and setting are indeed great.

LotusHD

Banned

This is exactly how I feel lol

High Rise

Neo Member
Hell yeah im buying this day one! This is one of those games where you just know it's gonna be good, no reviews needed.

I'm actually conflicted on the sequel, despite owning and beating the original on Vita.

Played the demo and it felt very similar to the original. I get they couldn't change the formula too much but I guess I was expecting something way more bigger when it made the move to PS4.

Do you mean a bigger difference? because if you are talking about the scale of the adventure, the scale of the world, its density, it is much, much bigger than the Vita game.

Zackat

A little off topic, but guys, make this a success. Not only do I love Gravity Rush and want it to stick around, I wouldn't mind Sony seeing a success here as a reason to consider putting some resources towards freedom wars Ps4 and trying their luck with with that too. All of vita's fallen soldiers deserve a chance.

I would dig a PS4 version of freedom wars.

LotusHD

Banned
I don't think so. The first game was boring. Fetch quests everywhere.
Haven't played the demo though.

Hmm, well be sure try out the demo, and see if you like it. Then on top of that, wait for the reviews and impressions on the 10th and onwards to see if they've improved in that regard.

Do you mean a bigger difference? because if you are talking about the scale of the adventure, the scale of the world, its density, it is much, much bigger than the Vita game.

Heh, 2.5x to be exact. :p

Mr-Joker

Banned
I will probably pass on it as I wasn't too hot on the game when I tried the demo of the first game on the Vita and when I watched my little brother play the demo of the second game I never warmed up to it despite liking its art style.

The world is empty.

This post is so hard to read.

You absolutely can control where the trash goes because you can aim where you throw it. There was nothing frustrating about that portion anyway. You press circle, aim, shoot and repeat until you reach the bomb. There's nothing poor about that mechanic.

Sure, the difficulty is low. If it wasn't, you'd have even more people complaining that they can't hit Raven or Yunica with their gravity kicks because they never realized that if they stay on the ground and chuck objects at them (because you can control where the objects go), they'd actually come down to the ground and be in reach of regular kicks.

I'm not even going to get into the vague criticisms of the writing or narrative.

Yes.
I dont want to feel like a hypocrite after asking for unique games and then not supporting them when i can.
The game is pretty much gonna bomb but oh well we get what we pay for.

Kat is the best and most charming protagonist in recent memory.

Cant wait to hear the different Tanaka OSTs
Still GR2>KH2.8 then NiOh so close is difficult.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom