• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Greedfall |OT| - Doing what Bioware won't

I've played this for just over five hours on PC (Steam). Finding it very enjoyable until this afternoon. About 30 minutes in, my game crashed and left me with no option but to hard reset. I reloaded it and the game crashed again, pretty much immediately. Hard reset. Tried again, crashed immediately. Again. I've uninstalled and I'm currently reinstalling.

Anyone experienced this? I7 8700, 16GB 3200mhz RAM, and a 1080ti.
I bought the game at launch and it was rock solid, no crashes or anything.
I ran it at high, 1080p. I had an i7 4770 and an rx 580 at the time. You hardware should be more then enough for this game.
Maybe updating the drivers would help.

I bought the game at launch and it was rock solid, no crashes or anything.
I ran it at high, 1080p. I had an i7 4770 and an rx 580 at the time. You hardware should be more then enough for this game.
Maybe updating the drivers would help.
Turns out I jumped the gun. NONE of my games will play now. They load fine, but when I try and start a game, I get a crash and have to perform a hard reset. Did a memory check, system check, virus scan, registry clean, the CPU and GPU temps are fine.... This fucking sucks. And it isn't just Steam games.

psorcerer

Banned
Turns out I jumped the gun. NONE of my games will play now. They load fine, but when I try and start a game, I get a crash and have to perform a hard reset. Did a memory check, system check, virus scan, registry clean, the CPU and GPU temps are fine.... This fucking sucks. And it isn't just Steam games.

Your power supply is a toast probably.
Or motherboard.
It looks like not enough power is supplied when GPU starts to rise the clock.
I would first replace power. Then mobo if it doesn't help.
P.S. as a rule of thumb: if you need a hard reset, there is a very high chance you have a hw problem. And there's nothing wrong with the software/game.

Sorcerer

Holy shit, what an amazing game from what I understand is a relatively small developer. While not perfect, If Spiders keeps progressing from here, they will certainly hit upon an all time classic sooner or later.

Last edited:
Your power supply is a toast probably.
Or motherboard.
It looks like not enough power is supplied when GPU starts to rise the clock.
I would first replace power. Then mobo if it doesn't help.
P.S. as a rule of thumb: if you need a hard reset, there is a very high chance you have a hw problem. And there's nothing wrong with the software/game.
Thanks, man. I suspected as much.

D.Final

Banned
Well, I have a huge backlog as it is, and just bought a bunch of games on sale, but I had been waiting for this to drop in price and right now its 25 bucks,

Time to add another one to the library

It's an amazing game.
Really reminds me of the old Bioware days

obin_gam

Just got it and just arrived at New Serene. Going for a
a-field-in-england-4.jpg
vincent-price-witchfinder-general.jpg

build. Ergo. Crazy religious witchfinder general!

A question though - on my companions, they weapons show when we walk, but I dont see my weapons at all, is this a bug or is it this way the game is suppose to be?

Second questions: tips and trix? Any hidden secrets?

A question though - on my companions, they weapons show when we walk, but I dont see my weapons at all, is this a bug or is it this way the game is suppose to be?

Second questions: tips and trix? Any hidden secrets?
First question: I don't think that's a bug. That's just how the game is. There might be a mod for it, was never really bothered by it enough to check.

Second question: I have a quite a few tips I can say but they mostly relate to how to make builds however the game is easy enough for it not to matter. What I will say is that you almost never ever want to max a talent. Each of the 5 party members gives +1 to a different talent once you have their trust at max and if they're in your active party so swap to them if you need their talent bonus. Sole exception is lockpicking but any chest important enough to contain something good has a key that can be found somewhere in the world. Next is that some gear have built in talents, so like companions you can swap to them if you need those talents. Assuming you have the pre-order bonus, the hat has +1 intuition. I never replaced that hat throughout the entire game, no other hat has a stat bonus. Incidentally the sword from the pre-order bonus is also the best melee that can be used by someone that doesn't invest in melee attributes. There are gloves with +1 craftsmanship, they can be randomly found in shops or loot. The chest piece can hold +1 of lockpicking, vigor or science (via crafting). Chances are you want vigor for the piece you'll be walking around in all the time. Just swap to the others when you need them.

Also keep a dagger with you at all times, you need it for stealth kills. The dagger stats don't matter, even the weakest will do. IIRC it doesn't have to be equipped either. Just having it in your inventory is enough.

Lastly, since you seem to be interested in using guns, the absolute best gun is actually hidden behind not getting the best outcome. It sucks but it's not like it's significantly better than the second best.

Last edited:

obin_gam

First question: I don't think that's a bug. That's just how the game is. There might be a mod for it, was never really bothered by it enough to check.

Second question: I have a quite a few tips I can say but they mostly relate to how to make builds however the game is easy enough for it not to matter. What I will say is that you almost never ever want to max a talent. Each of the 5 party members gives +1 to a different talent once you have their trust at max and if they're in your active party so swap to them if you need their talent bonus. Sole exception is lockpicking but any chest important enough to contain something good has a key that can be found somewhere in the world. Next is that some gear have built in talents, so like companions you can swap to them if you need those talents. Assuming you have the pre-order bonus, the hat has +1 intuition. I never replaced that hat throughout the entire game, no other hat has a stat bonus. Incidentally the sword from the pre-order bonus is also the best melee that can be used by someone that doesn't invest in melee attributes. There are gloves with +1 craftsmanship, they can be randomly found in shops or loot. The chest piece can hold +1 of lockpicking, vigor or science (via crafting). Chances are you want vigor for the piece you'll be walking around in all the time. Just swap to the others when you need them.

Also keep a dagger with you at all times, you need it for stealth kills. The dagger stats don't matter, even the weakest will do. IIRC it doesn't have to be equipped either. Just having it in your inventory is enough.

Lastly, since you seem to be interested in using guns, the absolute best gun is actually hidden behind not getting the best outcome. It sucks but it's not like it's significantly better than the second best.
Awesome tips! Thanks, will keep a dagger with me. I have a rapier and foil as melees. (dont really understand the need for the B weapon slot though? I never change it... Should I? And when is that needed? )

Awesome tips! Thanks, will keep a dagger with me. I have a rapier and foil as melees. (dont really understand the need for the B weapon slot though? I never change it... Should I? And when is that needed? )
I think in theory the weapon slots are so you can swap between weapons that do more physical damage to one that does more armor damage. In practice, I never bothered. Gun have similar stat differences but there's only one gun slot so I honestly don't know. Maybe they assume tech builds will just use other ways to make up for it. They're certainly versatile enough. IMO they're probably the most powerful builds too once you get out of New Serene and have the resources to keep churning out bullets and traps/grenades.

I also forgot to say that capes have +1 charisma. And for disguises only the chest piece matters and they don't have ranks so if you want to carry disguises just pick the lightest to save on carry weight.

Last edited:

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
I really want to try this but it would go straight into my RPG backlog right now - are console ports passable or does it play a lot better on PC?

Last edited:

Amory

Jumped into this on PC yesterday, since it was on Gamepass and looked interesting.

Enjoying it so far. Not an amazing game, and it takes itself a little too seriously I think, but the combat is fun, the world is interesting, and the quests (especially the sidequests) are pretty detailed and robust

the gaming world needs more of these lower production value, 'triple a style' games. seems like everything nowadays is either a huge release from a major studio, or a pure indie

martino

Jumped into this on PC yesterday, since it was on Gamepass and looked interesting.

Enjoying it so far. Not an amazing game, and it takes itself a little too seriously I think, but the combat is fun, the world is interesting, and the quests (especially the sidequests) are pretty detailed and robust

the gaming world needs more of these lower production value, 'triple a style' games. seems like everything nowadays is either a huge release from a major studio, or a pure indie
it will not be the same gameplay but werewolf will be this type of game i have on my radar

Amory

it will not be the same gameplay but werewolf will be this type of game i have on my radar

looks good! Vampyr was the last game I remember playing that had a similar lower budget feel and I enjoyed that as well.

Idk what it is about these kinds of games. Maybe it's just lower expectations so I'm more willing to overlook flaws and appreciate strengths more

Ogbert

Not an amazing game, and it takes itself a little too seriously I think, but the combat is fun
Agreed.

Your point around 'taking itself too seriously' is very true. I often think, with these AA games, that if they went for the lighter touch, more humour and fun, it would go so much further. It would even take away some of the need to be so graphically conservative.

Alebrije

Good game, combat is great easy to get it and well balanced ( weapons/ magics/ traps) , peronally I use a lot the traps they ad axtra element to combat, is not new since other games have traps but in this case they work along with fire a meele weapons.

Quests are fun , dialogs are well balanced not so deep but not just basic plain answers from NPC, depending what team you choose will be some answers you will get from NPCs.

Graphics are basic , this is a weak point from the game , this does not helps with inmersion but lore , art style and the places of the world helps to do not put a lot of attention to graphics.

Baiscally a great RPG if this developer has more budget could improve graphics , voice actors , and other factors but for an small team.they delivered a great game for RPG players.

Topher

Gold Member
Downloaded the game thanks to it being a free ps plus title. Started it, saw the 30fps visuals and gameplay, closed the application and deleted it :(

I went with the PC version because the frame rate was really bad on PS4. Turned out to be a damn good game, imo.

Last edited:

CitizenZ

Banned
I played both Bound and Flame and Technomancer and are some of the few do not recommends. BbF was terribly unbalanced and Technomancer while some good points here are my negatives:

Negatives
OMG the back tracking
Respawning enemies
Writing is hit or miss
Loot, weapons and combat is vanilla and shallow
Lacks enemy variety

Greedfall was high on my list but seems it still is in the same place as their previous games, too many lows(negatives) to outweigh the positives.

Amory

One thing that's driving me crazy with this game is having to constantly return to the questgiver to close things out and get your reward

They teased in the beginning of the game that they'd give you the option to warp back to them to save some time, but I've only seen that prompt like once or twice.

I also feel like I'm wasting my time exploring the cities & outside environments without it being tied to a specific questline. Can anyone confirm if it's worth just running around looking for stuff? It's fine if this isn't that kind of game, but I won't bother doing it if I'm not going to get anything out of it.

One thing that's driving me crazy with this game is having to constantly return to the questgiver to close things out and get your reward

They teased in the beginning of the game that they'd give you the option to warp back to them to save some time, but I've only seen that prompt like once or twice.

I also feel like I'm wasting my time exploring the cities & outside environments without it being tied to a specific questline. Can anyone confirm if it's worth just running around looking for stuff? It's fine if this isn't that kind of game, but I won't bother doing it if I'm not going to get anything out of it.
It's been a long time since I've played it but IIRC exploring cities is pretty pointless. It's worth doing at the tutorial area to scrounge up money for an early cape, ammo and possibly most importantly a necklace. Shop inventories scale to player level and doesn't care what build you have so you might reach a point where the necklaces available for purchase while being better than the old ones are impossible to equip due to stat requirements. The wilderness has quite a few legendary items hidden around but depending on your build, most of them you probably can't even equip.

nowhat

So, I have never played a Spiders game before, but I'm aware that they have a "reputation". So going in, my expectations were quite low. But meh, got nothing to play ATM and it's been a while since I tried a PS+ game (despite religiously adding all of them to my ever-growing backlog), so even if it would suck, at least it will be for the lulz.

fc07b0f326b0db3f704820f932f7d452.jpg

And sure, there is a lot of jank and many issues. But seriously, check out the end credits. There are more environmental artists (in-house, not including outsourced work) in a typical AAA game than there were people making this game entirely. So, adjust your expectations accordingly. This means the character models are not the best out there (although some of the designs, especially those of the natives, are interesting), the lip sync is... trying at least (TBH this can be an issue with games with a budget couple of magnitudes larger) and there is a lot of recycling of interiors. Like, really lot. Although regarding the last point, my theory is that in the game world they've started to implore building construction from premade parts (which is how most of buildings are made today), but it's still in the "Ford Model T" phase (i.e. "you can have any colour you like, as long as it is black").

But the towns/settlements themselves and open areas are actually quite good. Not the most detailed and varied out there, of course, but interesting enough in their own right. As to the presentation otherwise, sound is fine and surprisingly detailed (for a budget title) in a surround setting. The voicework is fine, some are great even - but if there ever was a case for being able to turn off companion chatter, this is it. Yes, I'm aware I need a magic potion or that I need healing, there's that HUD you know. And while Vasco is a fun character otherwise, there's a very valid reason why you won't want to keep him in your party, those of you who've played the game surely know what I'm talking about. The music though, I was absolutely blown away with how good it was. There is the more typical stuff you would expect from a fantasy setting, but also some really more ambient and minimalistic/experimental tracks that work wonderfully within the game. While the combat can be quite monotonous, the music elevates especially the boss encounters really lot. My advice is, in the settings turn down speech by two notches and sound effects by four (or two, I just personally get tired of combat sounds in pretty much any game so I like them a bit more down), then turn up the volume on your sound system and go to town.

So on to the combat. It's... alright? Nothing to write home about though. I played a magic build, that "focuses on the use of offensive spells from a distance" according to the game - in the end, I played pretty much a melee character with a few extra tricks. With bosses towards the end, it was just Stasis -> two or three hits with Shadow Impact (upgraded, so the first hit can be initiated from a further distance) -> get away from the upcoming boss attack with Lightning Dash. Rinse and repeat. While that works, I would have appreciated some more spells. How about a couple of AoE spells (technically Shadow Burst and Storm are, but they're around you, they cannot be cast elsewhere), elemental damage, just something more? But this is an ARPG with heavy emphasis on the "A" part, it's what it is. What absolutely sucks balls though is the enemy variety, or lack thereof. Not just of regular enemies (which there are far few types of), but bosses too, that get recycled way too many times. This wouldn't be such an issue if the game was like half of its length, but at 30+ hours it most definitely is. The end boss was unique and fun though.

Related to the combat is the loot game, and for me that was pretty much meh. I didn't put any points into crafting, so perhaps I missed a lot there, but for me the only point for loot (apart from gold, consumables and the occasional gear that is better than what you had) was just to get some stuff I needed to craft some potions. This goes for chests too, most of the time what you find is really insignificant. As said, maybe I missed a lot by not investing in crafting.

But apart from the "A", there's also the "R", "P" and "G", so how does the game work in that department? To my surprise, very well actually. I was initially a bit put off by the art style and setting, it seemed like the studio took a bunch of fantasy concepts, put them in a blender and called it a day, but it's deeper than that. All of the factions of the game make sense within the game world (or at least don't feel out of place), and one thing I really appreciated was that despite being a game set into a completely new setting, the characters don't just spout expository dialogue at you all the time. The game is not afraid to use terms that are not explained immediately and lets the player figure things out more organically, which is actually quite rare these days. As for the characters themselves and your interactions with them, it's clear that the studio really tries to do old-school BioWare. It doesn't get there, but it tries really, really, hard, so much so that it's quite endearing. But there are limitations, mostly budget based I'm assuming, that can make some of the conversations unintentionally funny. Like, you'd have a character saying something along the lines "I placed you in mortal danger, I'm so very sorry..." in a very apologetic tone, and the very next line (with almost no delay is) "Is there any else you want to discuss?" in a completely neutral voice. In a higher budget game, there would be variations in the latter line I think.

But hey, there are multiple ways that you can do a quest, there are meaningful choices that can affect the game world significantly, there are factions you have relations with (which can go sour, of course) - it's a role-playing game, like they used to make them. The talents you pick really make a difference on how you can play the game, in exploration, solving quests and with dialogue options. I especially like how the Charisma option is never "you need this level", but always a percentage for success (which can be increased by putting points in Charisma). One thing I'm not sure of though: is it possible to do all of the content without having one point in Science so you can craft basic potions? I think one of the companion quests requires that. Oh and you'll want to place one point in Lockpicking ASAP despite your build, trust me.

On the whole though, I liked it more than I thought, even with all the issues. If there's a PS5 update with more content, I'll check it out (provided it's free or cheap). If there's a sequel, I'll definitely check it out. During my 30-some hours of playing, I had three crashes, some bugs (although not game-breaking) but OTOH I got to play a role-playing game where my actions actually mattered. 7/10, still better than Cyberpunk.

Last edited:

Kimahri

Banned
I played both Bound and Flame and Technomancer and are some of the few do not recommends. BbF was terribly unbalanced and Technomancer while some good points here are my negatives:

Negatives
OMG the back tracking
Respawning enemies
Writing is hit or miss
Loot, weapons and combat is vanilla and shallow
Lacks enemy variety

Greedfall was high on my list but seems it still is in the same place as their previous games, too many lows(negatives) to outweigh the positives.

Haven't played Technomancer, but Greedfall shits on Bound by Flame from a long distance.

Most of your points are fairly irrelevant to this game imo. This isn't a game about combat, it's a game about story, and the story is fantastic. Side quests are some of the best I've played.

Rikkori

The combat in this game, particularly melee, is stupidly fun and one of the best aspects of it. Dunno how anyone would hate on it. 🤷‍♂️

CitizenZ

Banned
Haven't played Technomancer, but Greedfall shits on Bound by Flame from a long distance.

Most of your points are fairly irrelevant to this game imo. This isn't a game about combat, it's a game about story, and the story is fantastic. Side quests are some of the best I've played.

I have a feeling it would be like Elex. My interest in these types is just falling because the stories are basically the same.

Top Bottom